• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
it's absolutely fresh and unlike any Gears game before it. For it to be 2019 and having the 6th Gears game be the best game in the series is a massive accomplishment. One of the very best games of this gen.

How is it fresh? Genuine question here. The wide linear sections are about as preditctable as it gets, as well as the Jack upgrades. There's nothing fresh about them except for the fact the franchise hasn't had them before. I wouldn't put clearly above any of the original trilogy.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Weird article. I guess "Gears 5 is a very good game even though it has some problems" doesn't get the clicks.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
Kinda a dumb comparison because Gears has much better gameplay than Uncharted 4 but at the same time Uncharted 4 has a much better writing and a more immersive storyline compared to Gears 4 and 5. I think that's the focus of each of the games anyway so it's understandable they're like that and the audience for those games usually buy the games for those reasons. They're not even that comparable outside of the fact they're both 3rd person action shooters and I think they shouldn't be compared to each other just because of that.

But yeah it is a win in terms of MS having a big hitter that isn't Forza for once. I believe next gen will be fiercely contested and honestly can't wait.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Gears is really Microsoft's answer to the God of War reboot in that its title also starts with a G.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is it fresh? Genuine question here. I wouldn't put clearly above any of the original trilogy.

The gorgeous set pieces, the slower, world building moments like the beginning of Act II, the vastly improved story & characters, the impressive variety of regions and places to explore, the semi-open-world design and inclusion of interesting side quests, the best-of-gen graphics, etc.. etc..

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It has almost nothing in common with the game, but I feel a comfort level with Gears 5 that I haven't felt since Uncharted 2.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Yes and no, Gears 5 is amazing, the best Gears and a lot better shooter than Uncharted but still doesn't reach the quality of the original trilogy, that's is the first goal and after that, they can be compared to Uncharted or another successful IP. Maybe on Gears 6 we will see a powerful contender to Uncharted.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno if I agree, though I haven't finished it yet. That said, I wasn't the biggest fan of Uncharted 3 or 4 either, so /shrug.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Kinda a dumb comparison because Gears has much better gameplay than Uncharted 4 but at the same time Uncharted 4 has a much better writing and a more immersive storyline compared to Gears 4 and 5. I think that's the focus of each of the games anyway so it's understandable they're like that and the audience for those games usually buy the games for those reasons. They're not even that comparable outside of the fact they're both 3rd person action shooters and I think they shouldn't be compared to each other just because of that.

But yeah it is a win in terms of MS having a big hitter that isn't Forza for once. I believe next gen will be fiercely contested and honestly can't wait.

This gen is fiercely contested between Sony and Nintendo with their exclusive games that are massively popular around the world and next gen will be more of the same.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
User warned: System warring.
When I listened to the Bombcast last week - they couldn't have made the game sound more mediocre if they'd tried. I got though to meeting Marcus in Gears 4 and couldn't be bothered to continue after that. Is this any better, or is it just owners of a particular console desperate for a win?

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I still don't see what makes Gears 5 so special compared to their other first party titles. I mean it's a great game but it's still exactly what you expect basically. It's not a fresh or revolutionary experience by any means but people are acting like it's the saviour and Microsoft's jewel.

It's one of their main jewels and you're downplaying it too much. It's a great game all around and just as relevant as Uncharted is for Sony. You're just not much of a fan of it and can't see that.

Nov 23, 2017
When I listened to the Bombcast last week - they couldn't have made the game sound more mediocre if they'd tried. I got though to meeting Marcus in Gears 4 and couldn't be bothered to continue after that. Is this any better, or is it just owners of a particular console desperate for a win?
It's a lot better, better level designs and story telling and settings, better graphics and 60 fps on X, really good world theming and hubs. Definitely try it. On the other hand its definitely an evolution/polish on 4.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
How is it fresh? Genuine question here. The wide linear sections are about as preditctable as it gets, as well as the Jack upgrades. There's nothing fresh about them except for the fact the franchise hasn't had them before. I wouldn't put clearly above any of the original trilogy.
You could make this argument about any game though. What was honestly fresh in God of War that wasn't done in another franchise?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 is a great game that deserves all the recognition and applause it's getting.

That said they have a long uphill battle to prove to gamers, the mainstream consumer, and the enthusiast audience that they have what it takes to be in it for the long haul.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
You could make this argument about any game though. What was honestly fresh in God of War that wasn't done in another franchise?

Pretty much. It's why I shake my head whenever I see comments like that because if a game needs to be revolutionary to be a great game then there's very few great games.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a (very slightly) more apt comparison would be God of War. Clearly Gears 5 is not trying to shake up the formula as much as that game, but I feel it explores ideas foreign to its more traditional and slightly out-of-touch series in much the same way that God of War did.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, this is something Sony just doesn't have an answer for honestly.

Multiplayer wise at least.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The gorgeous set pieces, the slower, world building moments like the beginning of Act II, the vastly improved story & characters, the impressive variety of regions and places to explore, the semi-open-world design and inclusion of interesting side quests, the best-of-gen graphics, etc.. etc..

There's a difference between well crafted and "fresh". I disagree with half of what you said in this post anyhow, especially with the vastly improved story and characters. Not even close.

I didn't think God of War was as amazing as others either but this isn't a good comparison. Gears 5 still plays almost identically to the previous games outside of a few periphery additions (all of which are almost entirely optional). God of War changed the entire camera perspective, the structure of the game and the combo system. I'm not saying it was all good but it did fundamentally change how you play.

Pretty much. It's why I shake my head whenever I see comments like that because if a game needs to be revolutionary to be a great game then there's very few great games.

I'm not the one claiming any of these games are fresh and I never said that had to be the case. For Gears 5 the new mechanics they added to the franchise aren't anywhere near the best example we've seen of them which is why I don't see what has elevated it to some higher level.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Does gears 5 even have vertical gameplay in its multiplayer.
I love the gears campaigns, but I found uncharted mp to be way more fun because of the "platforming" aspects to it.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Trying to force comparisons between two different games simply because they are exclusive to different platforms feels a bit unnecessary. It would be nice if people could just focus on enjoying a great game on Xbox without having to invoke comparisons to what Sony is or isn't doing as if that has any bearing on their personal satisfaction of a game. Shrug.
Amen.

Kelegacy

Nov 12, 2017
Maine
If Gears 6 and Uncharted 5 were announced RIGHT NOW, I know what I would be more excited for. The one with actual heart.