• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

General Tso

Jan 10, 2018
that's super cool - Microsoft seems to be really on top of things when it comes to accessibility in gaming

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah noticed the amount of options for it.
Also liked how the adaptive controller was front and center when you boot up. And not hidden in options to set up.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Speech to text and text to speech for MP? Never seen either of those features in an MP game before, much less both, good work Coalition

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Reading through the accessibility options here and holy shit, between this and the Adaptive Controller, Microsoft are really pushing accessibility to another level. Great to see.

Some of these are things I don't think I've even seen in a game before, like Speech to Text and Text to Speech for multiplayer.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
You know how most games pair music with fighting scenes and the end of the music is how hearing players tell that scene is over and they've killed everything that needs killing? It's never ever depicted to Deaf/hoh players. UNTIL NOW!
Damn well done to the team.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool!
I didn't know about "Can I Play That" and hope more developers make their games like this.

Aug 26, 2018
This kind of went unnoticed in many Reviews. This feature alone should have added 1-2 points to its Metacritic Score.

Kudos to The Coalition for doing this :)

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between this and the pride flag thread, I really need to catch up on the Gears series (only played the first two) so I can give these guys my money.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is really good news, it's great that the team have been able to set such a high bar.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
From the second you start the game you can see the time and effort put into the game's accessibility, it's really great to see.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing display of inclusivity, and solidarity. Great work and hopefully inspires more Devs to continue the good work being done.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Wow, big kudos to Microsoft and Coalition here. This should be more common.

Looks like a cool site to check out also.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just have to say that this subtitle size should be the standard in video games.

IMG_0423-1-1024x576.jpg

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
This is great to hear, and so important! Now there's a game anyone can point to and say "this game does everything right, this is now the benchmark you have to meet for your own game's accessibility options."

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Who knew back in 2006 that gritty dudebro muscle men chainsaw game would be the industry leader in accessibility and representation in 2019

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
This is great news. Good job everyone involved!!

I had no idea about that site. I will start checking it as well.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
This is good and deserves more attention. Every other dev studio with AAA resources have no excuse not to match this standard.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I didn't know this site existed. Great to see that Gears went above and beyond for deaf and hard of hearing gamers. I've got good hearing, but it still bothers me when a game puts vital information solely into audio cues without any visual information to assist.

A couple Remedy games come to mind (sorry, they just happen to be my two most recently played games):

Control gives a ton of information through audio. Headphones are nearly required because because it has almost no visual cues.

Alan Wake definitely plays better with headphones, but Alan does something interesting that makes the game easier for me to play at low volumes or the sound off - he turns his head towards enemies that are in my blind spot. Chances are if he turns his head, it's a good time to dodge away from that direction. It's a simple thing, but I'm sure it helps out deaf and hard of hearing gamers.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
You know, this stuff was always important and I think it is the one thing everyone agrees on that we can use more of. But not until I've had someone in my family recently with a disability does this stuff make me emotional every time I see people take strides to support all those types of play-styles in their games. Makes me really happy that their future in the gaming-medium I love is going to remain consistent with what I experienced.

BLAH.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
my co op partner is Deaf/HoH and so this is all great news

she was excited about the game already but this is just some A+ cool shit for them to do when they dont have to(since there's no actual standards/requirement for any of this stuff)

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speech to text and text to speech for MP? Never seen either of those features in an MP game before, much less both, good work Coalition

Unreal Tournament 2004 had TTS for chat messages and it was actually really helpful to get callouts read to you. Haven't seen it in a game since then.