• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Gears 5 was really disappointing. Gears 4 isn't best in the series, but it was more focused and I preferred it overall. Gears 5 went halfway with all the new things it tried, and was worse off for it.

Darren

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears of War 5 was really boring. Shame as I was really looking forward to playing as Kait.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine. I just feel like there's something about cover shooters that feels dated. You can only do so much with the genre.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
I really enjoyed Gears 5. I don't know about the comparison with other games in the OP but I felt like I could feel the difference between Gears 4, with a team working to understand Gears and make a good by the numbers entry, and 5 dipping their toes into some new stuff. More so with Hivebusters.

If for 6 they doubled down on the open world stuff and really fleshed it out and looked at what worked with the Hivebusters characters and story I'd be over the moon.

In 2013 if you'd told me The Coalition (or what would become them) and Playground Games would be two of my favourite developers within 6-7 years I'd have laughed in your face.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
I think a jump in quality for game 1 to game 2 is alwyas going to have a bigger impact than a jump in quality for game 4 to game 5.

Also using everyone's favourite metascoring website Uncharted went from 88/100 for the first game to 96/100 for the second. Gears went from 84/100 to 84/100 from the 4th to 5th iteration. Obviously that isn't gospel but critical consensus is there wasn't a jump in quality.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. Gears 5 starts pretty strong, with a first act that sets the stage for the rest of the game to have so much potential, and then the game just gets worse and worse as it fails to live up to any of that potential, culminating in an unbelievably abrupt, unearned, and downright stupid ending.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree big time. It was Gears again with an unnecessary and dull open world. Uncharted to Uncharted 2 was a huge leap in gameplay and graphics, like AC1 to AC2.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Yeah, I guess I do agree with the people saying the jump in quality wasn't ever HUGE. But for me that is because Gears 4 was already a really good jump from 3. And 3 from 2. And 2 from 1. I don't know that there was ever some massive jump in quality because of the iterative nature of the quality bumps. Like, I replayed them a few years ago and the first ones are definitely rough compared to 5 but as you go through each successive game the quality continued to increase. It's like boiling the frog in the water by turning up the heat gradually, or whatever. You don't really notice it getting better. 1 to 5 is a huge leap but each successive game never had some huge leap because, in my view, the jump in quality always coincided with the third person gameplay/gunplay jumps of its time. Granted, they were always some of the best of their time each iteration, but there was never a dip below at least excellent gameplay/gunplay to make a 'jump' necessary.

That's how I feel about it, anyway.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Gears 5 is clearly the better game, but it's not even close to the leap Naughty Dog was able to pull off in less than two years.

My problem with the gears series is how similar each game since the first game feels. Also gears 4 campaign was just atrocious and kept throwing robot enemies at you.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand why people hate Gears 4 so much. I thought it was a pretty strong campaign and 5 is equally strong.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 is oddly underrated, especially if you consider the entire package with Escape, Horde, Versus modes and the Hivebusters DLC.
Mechanically it easily one of the best 3rd person shooters ever.

Gears 4 played it really safe but that kinda made sense since that was when they switched developers.

Gears 5 played it safe too. It's basically Gears 4 with the usual refinements you'd expect from the next instalment and then the most generic take on "AAA" trends you can get with their barebones open world segments and light RPG upgrades with Jack.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Judging purely based on the campaigns, I'm not sure it's even better than 4, much less a significant leap beyond it. I think they're ultimately pretty comparable. The Coalition Gears games are solid, technically excellent games that I still enjoyed, but that are probably a little too conservative or uninspired in pushing things beyond the earlier entries in the series.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I loved gears 5 and was Luke warm on Gears 4 but your statement feels like a bit of a stretch

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
4 was already excellent, in an industry-leading series. 5 was awesome and polished, but continued along those lines with a few structure and pacing changes that shifted the campaign style.

Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 was, without meaning to be too harsh, the jump from an attractive proof-of-concept into something that actually landed wonderfully in terms of its game design. That's a much bigger jump in my mind.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't see a jump in quality at all. Gears already had great graphics, so Gears V didn't stand out in that regard.

For me it felt like the same tired game, with the same enemies. Only now I've got a robot I can assign perks to, and tons of filler material in the form of a skiff travel, that just takes you to the next shooting segment.

Shallow as a kiddie pool.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I have only played Gears 5 so can't really comment on the jump but thought it was a pretty solid/fun game.

BionicDreamer

Nov 6, 2017
I didn't even finish 4 but I finished 5 in two days. Absolutely loved it, not as big of a jump as Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2, but a big improvement.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Oh and while I avoided it, so I guess that does take away from what I say, Resident Evil 6 to Resident Evil 7 is one huge jump in quality

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Someone need to go back play Uncharted 1 and I dont see much change at all in Gears 5 in fact I just stopped playing after some fight i dont recall setting was all so so nothing stand out

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
First time I've ever heard an opinion like this. And it's not one I can agree with.

I thought the game was pretty average if not mediocre. The open world segments fell flat on their face, only serving to pad the game and screw with its already uneven pacing. Jack and his powers were welcome but didn't fundamentally change moment-to-moment gameplay. And the story was your typical Gears schlock, only with very little of meaning happening - in fact, I fail to see how the plot was meaningfully moved forward from 4 with respect to Kait.

Never understood the massive beef with the "open world". Is it pretty clearly a weirdly incomplete, perfunctory addition to the game? Yes. There's no enemies in it, and you just jet ski to the next mission.

However, it's also extremely easy to just ignore as a result, and provided a nice brief breather in between missions to just chill out and listen to the characters banter, before arriving at the next real mission. It's Hyrule Field, except there's nothing in it, you can cross it in a fraction of the time, and it leads directly into missions instead of new sub-zones. It's a 45-60 second diversion between standard monster mashes, and it's only in two of the game's four acts to begin with.

My biggest "issue" with Gears 5's campaign, is simply the writing and characterization. It's much better than 4, but Del is still just "Friend Man", and JD and Fahz's personaly journey post HoD disaster in Gears 5 bizarrely happens off-screen between Acts 2 and 3, after which JD is suddenly a Nice Guy again, and Fahz goes from slapping the personal belongings out of the hands of evacuating citizens' hands and joking about atrocities to just... being Baird v2.0.

Kait's personal journey obviously gets the most attention, and while I liked the story twists about the Swarm/Locust - where they come from, and her connection to it - I still fundamentally just don't care about her relationship with her mother, and there's no real meaningful on-screen development of her relationship with anyone else.

It's a good game overall, but not something I'd place on the scale of Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2, quality-wise. And to be clear, this is talking about the SP - Gears 5 MP has been a bit of a mess since launch, despite the repeated attempts to fix it (including revamping the entire ranked system something like three times now)

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Same here, I don't get all the gears 4 hate/gears 5 love.

I think that the biggest issue of Gears 4 in the campaign is that it was incredibly dull and that nothing happens through all the game until the ending, hell I always tell people if they want to start playing straight away from 5 to just watch the ending of 4 after watching a summary of the 360 games

Now the multiplayer in the other hand is more up to debate if it was better than 5, at least this series is infamous for catering way too much to its hardcore crowd so the differences between both games are harder to appreciate if you are not that into the series

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
I think that the biggest issue of Gears 4 in the campaign is that it was incredibly dull and that nothing happens through all the game until the ending, hell I always tell people if they want to start playing straight away from 5 to just watch the ending of 4 after watching a summary of the 360 games

Now the multiplayer in the other hand is more up to debate if it was better than 5, at least this series is infamous for catering way too much to its hardcore crowd so the differences between both games are harder to appreciate if you are not that into the series
I'm very much into the series and mostly for the MP I've put more hours into just gears 4 MP than any other game and will get there with gears 5 too. But for campaign while 4 did not do much I thought it was a better single player experience than 5. There's a lot about 5 I didn't like, but it could jus the fatigue and maybe I wasn't quite there with 4 yet when I first played it. I kind of wish they would do a God of War 2018 style reboot for Gears but make a separate classic gears MP only and maybe make it f2p. Also I gotta throw this out there but Gears 2 is still the best Gears campaign.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
A little ot but does anyone know what happened with why gears 2 and 3 never made it to pc? I played the first and enjoyed it on pc and completely lost interest in the subsequent sequels when they never made it over.

A shame as it looks fun from afar just didn't dig their inconsistency with their releases at the time 4 looked really interesting

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta disagree. I thought it was fine but the open sections were so devoid of life it really killed those parts.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
I've never played Gears so I won't comment on that, but if we want to talk about massive jumps in quality between two sequels, I've gotta put God of War Ascension to God of War into the ring. Ascension made me feel that the series had burned out and had nothing new to offer, so much that I went from preordering Ascension to not even playing GoW the year it came out. Needless to say, I'm now pumped for Ragnarok. So, since Uncharted 2? I don't know...

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
5 was overhyped imo. I thought 4 was fine and 5 was slightly better, maybe.

3 is still my favourite campaign.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UC2 did the game play of God's as it reinvented itself, Gears just had some different things but not that impressive really

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say that at all, really. I gamepass-tried Gears 5, then went to Gears 4 when I realized the story was only barely trying to inform new players, and they felt like the exact same game. Like Gears 5 was essentially Gears 4 with a different campaign.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Uncharted 3 > uncharted 4 was an even bigger leap than Gears 4 > Gears 5.

I had 2 gamebreakings bugs in the open world sections of Gears 5 which really soured my experience.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree, I think it doesn't get as good as 3 but it probably is better than 4. It's definitely not the best in the series.