• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Yes, we are talking about a DLC that also has released for the One family of consoles but what I have in front of me when playing this campaign on Series S is simply jaw-dropping considering the price and the size of the machine. You can find dozens of screenshots on the Internet but you have to see it for yourself to be as amazed as me.

On top of amazing visuals (level of detail, effects, etc.), the game mantains an absolute rock-solid 60 fps effortlessly. Simply outstanding. Funnily enough, as shown is this video, this version seems to have the most solid framerate of all of them, at his resolution of up to 1440p. See the "Performance Stress Segment" of the video for this (from 8:12 approximately).

If you are not that fussy about graphics and you don´t want/can´t spend that much, Xbox Series S could be an amazing purchase this gen. I am really happy with mine so far.

Last edited:

bonch00ski

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played Gears 5 on my Series S before I got a Series X and I was fucking floored with how great it looked for that price you pay. Series S is no joke.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
I have the Series X in my main room and the Series S in another room and I've been pleasantly surprised by it. It's a really balanced system. I like that there's an option for consumers to basically get the same graphics settings and framerates as the X but at just a cost to resolution. Should only improve from here.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
We are only two months into the new generation. I would think things would get much better, more complex and demanding as the generation goes on... so this feels... premature? Maybe I'm crazy.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
We are only two months into the new generation. I would think things would get much better, more complex and demanding as the generation goes on... so this feels... premature? Maybe I'm crazy.
I suspect the only thing that will happen with the S is more and more games target 1080p instead of 1440p. There's plenty of horsepower there for 1080.

DarkManX

Dec 20, 2017
I think with the time goes on, we can see more improvements on XsS. Some people are already shiting on the console over the internet with the cross gen titles being hit low resolutions (WD Legion hitting like 864p, AC Valhalla with some drops on it on the perfomance mode and Yakuza at 900p @60 etc) but if he goes by that, Xbox One would be playing games at 480p almost a year or two later judging by some cross gen titles like Battlefields at 720p , something that improved later with BF1/V. At first , and years later, i doubt most of the people would ever think a next battlefield game would be above 720p

Oct 30, 2017
It's a cross gen game, though and it looks like a touched up Gears 5.

This isn't exactly the poster child of next generation efforts.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Guys, let´s be serious for a moment.

If crossgen games aren´t a valid measure to say how "good" the system is, neither they are to say how "bad" it is ;)

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
Love my Series S. Just a tad disappointed that for game that aren't optimized for it it just runs the One S version. Warzone could look a lot better on it.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I suspect the only thing that will happen with the S is more and more games target 1080p instead of 1440p. There's plenty of horsepower there for 1080.

I think when RT comes into play there will be quite a difference.
But my guess is that they keep visuals high and lower resolution plus visuals > performance.

We saw the difference between Xbox One and Xbox One X.
I think the Series S will have problem keeping up with visual standards pretty quickly. Especially with PC tech making quite some jumps recently. The 3000 Nvidia cards had one of the niggest performance increases in the last years. Also new Nvmes with higher speeds than PS5 are becomming more affordable and PCIe 4.0 and DDR5 are on the rise.

Obviously that doesnt mean that games will take advantage so soon but visuals on the Series X and PC will be way ahead fairly soon Id imagine

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the thread. It doesn't looks better than gears 5 on Xbox one X m. If you have a 4k tv it's actually worst looking. Gears 5 is a looker but world is too static. I just played hive buster

Oct 27, 2017
If crossgen games aren´t a valid measure to say how "good" the system is, neither they are to say how "bad" it is ;)

If the system is making large concessions running cross-gen games, then it speaks volumes about its capabilities playing next-gen only games. The games are only going up in terms of power requirements.

In your video, the XSS is running 1080@60 and 1440@30, no?

I would just pay $200 more for XSX... Considering the 5-7 years you buy the console for, it is literally $30/year to have double the amount of pixels or frame-rate, in addition to better visuals and more drive room.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
People trying their hardest to gas this game up. I actually feel forced to take a look now. Gonna be mad if it's not mindblowing.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Should interesting! At the very least, maybe it's just the SKU that drops off when there are new refreshes out there, and if you want to keep up, just upgrade to the X, which will be price dropped close to what the S currently is.

Pretty interesting to see how the cycle will go.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
It's a last gen game, how does it show its capable of running next gen tech?

I also don't get what's so mindblowing about it's visuals. It looks good, not denying that, but people make it seems like it's some next level stuff which it really isn't.

Game is great though (didn't like Hivebusters that much but the main campaign is great fun imo).

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
My cousin is really pleased with his for his son. He himself has a series x lol.

Gears 5 is ultimately a last gen game though. Still, I suspect the series S to handle itself well when next gen exlusives hit like Hellblade 2, etc. There will be compromises to resolution and effects but it is a 300 USD box. I feel the PS5D offers more for the extra 100.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
It's 2020 and Gears 5 is a last gen game. I'll wait until something like Perfect Dark or Avowed to say Series S cab handle next gen visuals.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was a little worried when I first got my S, but I'm in love with it now. Cost me less than the PS4 when it came out, and is miles ahead.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
If the system is making large concessions running cross-gen games, then it speaks volumes about its capabilities playing next-gen only games. The games are only going up in terms of power requirements.

In your video, the XSS is running 1080@60 and 1440@30, no?

I would just pay $200 more for XSX... Considering the 5-7 years you buy the console for, it is literally $30/year to have double the amount of pixels or frame-rate, in addition to better visuals and more drive room.
What large concessions? The Series S aims to run the games with more or less the same visuals, the same framerate and less resolution and this is what delivers with this one.

Having options for consumers is always good. Less resolution in games, less storage space and no disc drive are worth sacrificing for 200 bucks in my case, for the use I will make of the console.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"I like to make sure everyone knows how easily I can spare a few hundred dollars": the thread

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
I think with the time goes on, we can see more improvements on XsS. Some people are already shiting on the console over the internet with the cross gen titles being hit low resolutions (WD Legion hitting like 864p, AC Valhalla with some drops on it on the perfomance mode and Yakuza at 900p @60 etc) but if he goes by that, Xbox One would be playing games at 480p almost a year or two later judging by some cross gen titles like Battlefields at 720p , something that improved later with BF1/V. At first , and years later, i doubt most of the people would ever think a next battlefield game would be above 720p
I agree. Right now there's x1, x1x, ps4, ps4 pro, xsx, xss, and ps5 for devs to optimize for. I think they're stretched pretty thin, but when the cross gen period is over they'll know the systems better and have only 3 consoles to focus on instead of 7. Things will only get better from here

rntongo

Banned
Jan 6, 2020
Its running the game at 1080p! I don't know any 1080p displays being sold today. I think the Series S is meant to be a streaming box eventually. Hive Busters is a last gen game at the end of the day, there's not much of a difference between the One X and the Series X version. So we need games that fully utilize the next gen GPUs. Then we can see how the Series S really performs.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
OP is really going up and down on his Series S purchase haha
I admit I have seen worse and better performing games on the system already but some, like this one, show that the potential is there. If devs are given the time and learn the ropes, the system can offer good graphics, without expecting PS5/XSX levels of course.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
much weaker, less future proof and even more dire on hdd space.

I'd pay the extra $200.

The base HD space is definitely the bigger issue for me, with all these new consoles, but man, the XSS especially. I don't currently have any Xbox system in my house, but I have Xbox GPU paid up til late 2022, and the size of the S makes it super easy to just haul around the house or on the road, so I ordered one for curbside pickup at Best Buy after Xmas. Still not sure if I'll grab it or cancel it for now.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I think you just scored an own goal.
Why? I just try to make this discussion fair. I still maintain my opinion. I believe early unsatisfactory results on XSS are partially due to devs time constraints and new tools. Example: AC Valhalla was patched shortly after release to run at 60 fps on Series S.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Why? I just try to make this discussion fair. I still maintain my opinion. I believe early unsatisfactory results on XSS are partially due to devs time constraints and new tools. Example: AC Valhalla was patched shortly after release to run at 60 fps on Series S.
Because you made a statement that invalidates your thread's premise. As you say, cross-gen games prove nothing about the Xbox Series S, in either direction.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Nothing about it looks next gen, im really not seeing the hype with this one, for 60fps is looks great though.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Nice little DLC. I'm definitely planing to play this cooperatively on my second playthrough.