• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I cant see any difference between 4 rays to 32 rays tbh but performance definitely take a big hit. I will leave it at 16. Vrs is nice, i had those micro block artifacts and it was actually cause by vrs. It flip it between all 3 modes and was only able to fix it when I shut it off completely and turn it back on to quality.

I've gone with 8 just because Digital Foundry said that's what the Series X is using so I assume it must be a decent compromise between quality and performance.

Honestly, I don't think there's any way to make this game look bad, it's one of the best scaling games there is. Fantastic on base Xbox One through Series X and right upto a 3090.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know if it's possible to increase graphics settings above the limit in splitscreen? Have everything set to insane but the shadows in splitscreen mode are pretty bad. I assume it's just how they make splitscreen work but I have a lot of headroom to up the settings but can't anymore.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see variable rate shading and screen space global illumination added to the PC version with this update. Benchmarking performance VRS and it gives a straight 10% performance increase in the benchmark and I can't tell any difference, so it's a nice addition.

Worth noting that you can push the PC version to 32 rays per pixel vs. 8 in the Series X version, though I doubt that's worth it. The dynamic resolution scaling works as good as ever, at native 4K without DRS I get 53fps on my 3070, enabling a 60fps target makes it a perfect locked 60fps.

Async compute is still busted though so if you're getting macroblock like patterns on character faces, disabling async compute should fix it.
If you don't mind my asking, how do you know that the XSX is 8 rays per pixel? Just curious.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
A2Nz2Nf.jpg
pM3Ql4J.jpg
6cgR7x0.jpg
7yj2mFe.jpg

Game is damn pretty
Damn, those screenshots look amazing.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
how does the XSX version compare to a PC with a 3080? Sorry if this question is as silly as it sounds. But I remember hearing how the XSX of gears 5 had BETTER graphics than PC.

guerra08

Nov 12, 2020
Brazil
Just finished it on the One X. Really enjoyed this DLC, especially the visuals and locations. Gears 5 is one, if not, the prettiest game on consoles, IMO.

Could be a little longer, but the pacing is quite nice and it didn't overstay its welcome.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
it doesnt

watch the digital foundry breakdown

your pc will run and look better

It did have some extra stuff that PC was missing initially but this update patched it all in. The puzzling thing is that the Xbox version still doesn't have a FoV slider while the PC version has had it since day 1. Absolutely zero reason why Series X doesn't have one by now.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Played the first chapter and man, its so refreshing to have a different side story in the gears universe, with new characters and a tweak to the game play with abilities.

I'm enjoying it as its fresh and familiar at the same time.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3h sounds amazing. I've not played Gears 5 but can I play/launch into this as a standalone? Is the narrative also relatively self-contained, like a one-shot story within the Gears world?

DuvalDevil

Nov 18, 2020
3h sounds amazing. I've not played Gears 5 but can I play/launch into this as a standalone? Is the narrative also relatively self-contained, like a one-shot story within the Gears world?

Aye. You don't need to play Gears 5 to enjoy Hivebusters.

Edit: You need to have Gears 5 installed, though.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aye. You don't need to play Gears 5 to enjoy Hivebusters.

Edit: You need to have Gears 5 installed, though.
I've had it installed since XSX launch day, just struggling to find the time. I think this will be my only way to really play Gears before the end of the year but, honestly, I'm very into a shorter Gears experience right about now.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Wouldn't be gears co-op without a ton of bugs lol, had audio desyncing and the game crashed a couple times on PC

It's great though, 3 man Campaign was a blast and I love that they've added this little side story.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I've almost deleted it after dying a few times at the end of the 1st chapter.
If you die, you have to watch the cut-scene again and they even force you to go through the tutorial screens again.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Having a lot of fun with it. I'm on chapter 3 and feel like I've played a decent amount already. How long is this overall?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I've almost deleted it after dying a few times at the end of the 1st chapter.
If you die, you have to watch the cut-scene again and they even force you to go through the tutorial screens again.
I'm surprised lol. Playing it on normal difficulty at least, it's almost impossible to die in that section, even when you fall you can easily get healed by one of your teammates. Not to mention their special powers like electrifying and barrier. And there's ammo everywhere along the beach and wreckage. Chapter 1 is just a prologue really.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I personally think the 3 hours claim is a little bit of an understatment, I played it on normal and it took a bit longer for me maybe about 4 and a half to 5 but I did explore everywhere and pick 90% of the collectibles. I guess if you run it quick it's about 3 hours.
I played on experienced (and died a lot) and also explored whatever I could taking my time. The timer ended up at 3 hrs 21 min. Even though I feel like it took me a lot longer

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played on experienced (and died a lot) and also explored whatever I could taking my time. The timer ended up at 3 hrs 21 min. Even though I feel like it took me a lot longer
Damn I just checked

uJofNEY.png

I don't think this is accurate at all.. Hmm.

Time stamps on my screen shots show 4 and a half hours. Cutscenes + Load + Piss break could maybe account for that

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised lol. Playing it on normal difficulty at least, it's almost impossible to die in that section, even when you fall you can easily get healed by one of your teammates. Not to mention their special powers like electrifying and barrier. And there's ammo everywhere along the beach and wreckage. Chapter 1 is just a prologue really.

I was playing on hard.
But even if you die, you should not be forced to watch stupid cut-scene again.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished this

Wow, what a great side story, even though you can still criticize that is the same Gears that we have been playing for a long time now, one can't deny that it was an entertaining ride, the graphics are gorgeous, which combined with the 60fps make an awesome experience (Specially the last chapter). Also I really liked the writing, the interaction between the characters was funny and overall was a great origins story, also I liked how gave us more details of Gears lore. Another positive is that the pacing of the missions is great, sometimes when I play the campaign of previous Gears I really ask to myself when the current chapter is going to end, but here I felt that nothing overstayed its welcome, and it was a great attraction ride going from different locations quickly.

8.5/10, there are tons of things that I want to see in future Gears games

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Hopefully this brings some new players to multiplayer. Can take up to 2 min to find a ranked match.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Is anyone else having this issue? Is it just because of needing double space to reinstall everything?

I had this yesterday but it was just downloading the data for the new campaign, I believe. The file size kept creeping up as it downloaded. I think it's just some weirdness to do with how they let you install/uninstall the various modes independently of one another.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I 100% cannot get it to let me play this. Says it's not installed. Install manager says it is :(