• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wow this game is a looker

1347a0c4-f84a-49c3-aa1d-398279e8a899_Thumbnail.PNG

4289ebfb-7efb-47b2-be0d-f7a327814933_Thumbnail.PNG

d4041fd7-87da-4205-9291-3b5bada37891_Thumbnail.PNG

88b01879-d4f8-427c-b115-08e77a4f22d2_Thumbnail.PNG

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, and it was alright. Probably the best of the Gears spinoffs, but I thought RAAMs shadow was terrible and so was judgement. Even as a big gears campaign guy, I wouldn't bother spending money on this, but since it was with gamepass if you have it it's worth the download.

I'm also not a gears 5 fan in general, it's my least favorite Gears right ahead of 1 and judgement, with 3 and 4 being my favorite (they can switch spots on a given day) and 2 being my third favorite.

So
3=4> 2>>>>>5>Hive >RAAM> 1> J

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty early on, but loving it. Being able to trigger the squad abilities (on top of normal target marking) makes this balanced really well as a solo story mode. I was wondering if they would lean too hard on the co-op experience.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Only finished Chapter 1, but damn, this is a really beautiful game.

Hope to see more single player DLCs like this from XGS in the future (especially if they'll be part of Game Pass Ultimate)

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Someone really needs to investigate why this game hates Pascal cards. This is baffling at this point.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone see and differences with higher G. I Ray counts? I change from 4 to 32 and can't tell the difference.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
So this was pretty good, I took more screenshots than I anticipated lol

Graphics did not blew me away on the first chapter but later on I was like "holy shit" every 5 minutes or so :p

A short but a great experience, loved it.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
So this was pretty good, I took more screenshots than I anticipated lol

Graphics did not blew me away on the first chapter but later on I was like "holy shit" every 5 minutes or so :p

A short but a great experience, loved it.
Yeah it was incredible - didn't like the characters initially but they grew on me a lot

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Reached the start of chapter 4 (so like half?) last night and it's really cool. I only finished Gears 5 last week and I definitely think it's better-looking and generally more fun, but then again the back half of the original game soured my opinion on it quite a bit.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Finished it alone but it must be so fun on insane with 2 other people combining all the abilities.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Trying to look through the OP but is this a prequel / sequel to 5 or completely standalone? I see the characters are ones from MP of Gears 5 so I am wondering if Gears 5 (need to play) knowledge is required. Thanks.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like MS knows that people are not going to pay extra for Gears at this point, so may as well push for suscriptions.

I doubt that Forza Horizon 5 is going to give its expansions with Game Pass

Microsoft specifically noted that this is the first DLC coming to game pass indicating more would in the future.

Gears 5: Hivebusters is the first Xbox Game Studios campaign expansion to join Xbox Game Pass Ultimate day-and-date with release. Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members can play as a part of their existing membership when the expansion is live on December 15. Simply update the game and launch the expansion from the Gears 5 main menu.

GPU subs getting the added bonus of DLC's makes sense

Trying to look through the OP but is this a prequel / sequel to 5 or completely standalone? I see the characters are ones from MP of Gears 5 so I am wondering if Gears 5 (need to play) knowledge is required. Thanks.

It's entirely standalone, It's set pre gears 5 I believe but that doesn't matter at all.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Microsoft specifically noted that this is the first DLC coming to game pass indicating more would in the future.

GPU subs getting the added bonus of DLC's makes sense

It's entirely standalone, It's set pre gears 5 I believe but that doesn't matter at all.
Thanks!

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I checked for my own brains satisifaction and it's set prior to Gears 5 but after Gears 4 as best any of us can tell but the story is entirely stand alone, it's got a few familiar faces and call backs to some Gears 1-3 stuff that could go over your head if your didn't play them but it's very firmly it's own self contained "origin of a squad" story with some larger impacting effects namely for Gears 5 Escape mode's story premise.

If you do like it and want more the comic series "Hivebusters" indirectly carries the adventures of the team on but in another self contained story.

Nov 24, 2018
So for some reason the installation immediately broke and I have to re-download the entire fucking 90GB? Anyone else?

I also had an issue with the download. Game showing as downloaded so I launched it. It then hit me with a prompt to decide what to install additionally and in what order. Clicked continue and assumed it was doing it's thing and installing everything available.

Backed out to the dash and Gears was no longer showing in my recently played games. Went into my library and the full install appeared to have deleted itself . Have had to download the full thing again, hopefully it has worked when I try launching the game later. Not sure why MS didn't just package everything together as one download rather than having a 40+ gig download with another similar download on top of that for everything else.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I would have liked to have seen more character exploration. Because of the short length there's a lot of shortcuts the game takes that presents a missed opportunity to flesh out the story. It would have been cool if the venom mist had you go through a hallucinating vision of each Scorpio member's troubled past. Also having any person from the village to interact with. Just explaining away that all the villagers got captured and killed felt cheap.
Finished it. 3hrs21min on experienced. Really liked it. The island is absolutely beautiful. I took so many screenshots.
Really liked the characters and their backstory. Let's see if any of this will be canon for Gears 6. I sure hope so.
Very glad this was made, a very pleasant surprise.
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be canon.

Last edited:

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
I've picked up the Gears 5 campaign again recently since I've gotten my XSX. I played the game at launch but sort of fell out of it for whatever reason. The game looks and feels incredible to play, and this new DLC is just icing on the cake.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
Let's see if any of this will be canon for Gears 6. I sure hope so.

It is canon, but there's hardly any chance it'll show up in the next game since each game's plot is usually pretty small in scope. At most you'll get references or collectible text talking about the islands, so as to not leave out people who didn't play the older games and DLC.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I checked for my own brains satisifaction and it's set prior to Gears 5 but after Gears 4 as best any of us can tell but the story is entirely stand alone, it's got a few familiar faces and call backs to some Gears 1-3 stuff that could go over your head if your didn't play them but it's very firmly it's own self contained "origin of a squad" story with some larger impacting effects namely for Gears 5 Escape mode's story premise.

If you do like it and want more the comic series "Hivebusters" indirectly carries the adventures of the team on but in another self contained story.
Great - appreciate the follow-up.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is canon, but there's hardly any chance it'll show up in the next game since each game's plot is usually pretty small in scope. At most you'll get references or collectible text talking about the islands, so as to not leave out people who didn't play the older games and DLC.

Spoilers about gears 5 and hivebusters

There's actually a relatively strong possibility that Scorpio end up appearing next game, Hoffman and Hana have a connection to the current ragtag group and the whole of scopio have what seems to be the only viable attack measure for mass destruction of the Swarm. Kait's group are wanted criminals after the Hammer of Dawn and Hoffman is working unsanctioned illegal ops himself. Looking for place to regroup Marcus or Cole directing the group to Hoffman seems logical

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Only played about 15 min last night (smart delivery still sucks) but I'll just parrot everyone else and wow, what an amazing looking game. I'll most likely get through it later today.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Guys, BTW, because of the optimizations, I am planning to play Gears 5 when my XSX arrive. The last one I played was 3 on the X360. Should I play Gears 4 before?

Gears 4 was amazing. It didn't do anything too crazy since it was their first game but it's a solid gears game and a fun adventure. I'd say definitely play it

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, BTW, because of the optimizations, I am planning to play Gears 5 when my XSX arrive. The last one I played was 3 on the X360. Should I play Gears 4 before?

I would say no. Gears 4 played it pretty safe - but it was solid game. But playing Gears 4 + Gears 5 + Hivebusters might just leave you burnt out/fatigued. I think play Gears 5 + Hivebusters and that should be enough. Just imo.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I would say no. Gears 4 played it pretty safe - but it was solid game. But playing Gears 4 + Gears 5 + Hivebusters might just leave you burnt out/fatigued. I think play Gears 5 + Hivebusters and that should be enough. Just imo.

I like Gears 4 a bunch, but I'd definitely recommend VeePs's suggestion on this as well. "Too much of a good thing" and all that.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Nice to see variable rate shading and screen space global illumination added to the PC version with this update. Benchmarking performance VRS and it gives a straight 10% performance increase in the benchmark and I can't tell any difference, so it's a nice addition.

Worth noting that you can push the PC version to 32 rays per pixel vs. 8 in the Series X version, though I doubt that's worth it. The dynamic resolution scaling works as good as ever, at native 4K without DRS I get 53fps on my 3070, enabling a 60fps target makes it a perfect locked 60fps.

Async compute is still busted though so if you're getting macroblock like patterns on character faces, disabling async compute should fix it.

Last edited:

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Nice to return to this now that I have a 3080 and all the Series X enhancements have been rolled into the PC version. Getting ~90–120 FPS @ 1440p with all the Insane settings turned on. (Left global illumination rays at the default 8.) Game looks awfully good.

I don't think you can on PC game pass version?

I did that exact thing on the PC Game Pass version. I only have base (~40 GB) game and Hivebusters installed (+ high-res textures), for ~66 GB total.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Nice to return to this now that I have a 3080 and all the Series X enhancements have been rolled into the PC version. Getting ~90–120 FPS @ 1440p with all the Insane settings turned on. (Left global illumination rays at the default 8.) Game looks awfully good.

I did that exact thing on the PC Game Pass version. I only have base (~40 GB) game and Hivebusters installed (+ high-res textures), for ~66 GB total.

Cool good to know. Will do this then!

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Nice to see variable rate shading and screen space global illumination added to the PC version with this update. Benchmarking performance VRS and it gives a straight 10% performance increase in the benchmark and I can't tell any difference, so it's a nice addition.

Worth noting that you can push the PC version to 32 rays per pixel vs. 8 in the Series X version, though I doubt that's worth it. The dynamic resolution scaling works as good as ever, at native 4K without DRS I get 53fps on my 3070, enabling a 60fps target makes it a perfect locked 60fps.

Async compute is still busted though so if you're getting macroblock like patterns on character faces, disabling async compute

I cant see any difference between 4 rays to 32 rays tbh but performance definitely take a big hit. I will leave it at 16. Vrs is nice, i had those micro block artifacts and it was actually cause by vrs. It flip it between all 3 modes and was only able to fix it when I shut it off completely and turn it back on to quality.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Did you download from within the Xbox app or Store app?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I like Gears 4 a bunch, but I'd definitely recommend VeePs's suggestion on this as well. "Too much of a good thing" and all that.

funny, I played through Gears 3 last week to start my catch up. Was planning to start Gears 4. I guess I see what you mean. Might as well just go straight to 5 so I don't overdose on Gears.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Did you download from within the Xbox app or Store app?

I was kind of confused initially by the experience in the Xbox app and what to install (I didn't know if Hivebusters was a separate store entry or what), so what I ended up doing was going to the Windows Store, installing Gears 5 from there, and installing a Hivebusters DLC store item that I found there as well. (This was only like 16 MB if I recall correctly, so I think it's just some unlock install—this was probably unnecessary and would happen automatically through other flows.) I then launched Gears 5 and was prompted with some install manager UI asking me to pick what parts to install (campaign, multiplayer, etc.).

I expect that just installing Gears 5 through either the Xbox app or Windows store, then launching it and following the in-game install manager prompts would work just fine.