• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You have to "install" it from the store and then the game recognises you have it and then has to download another 8Gb. Pretty poorly implemented.

Deleted member 59

Gears 5 is one of the best games I've played this year. Hyped AF for this.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I couldn't get it to work on the console store so I tried it from my laptop (MS store) and it worked. You just select your region and select the 3 dots and install on the device you want.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Installed on Series X and got an error.

0x80070490

83.6gb
v1.2.865.0

Uh weird, after a minute it works.

Then i launch and nothing works.
Says mandatory 42gb patch with checkmark.
Then another 8gb campaign dlc update.

This is kinda messy?

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Damn coalition know their shit. It looks damn next gen to me and is so responsive and smooth.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Now gotta remember how I set up my cross-buy/cross-play to play 2 player on PC/XBOX with one copy.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
I started Gears 5 just now and got a prompt for a 12 gig update? Is that for this for this or something else? I'm assuming it's the Hivebusters dlc.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
Can you play this without finishing the main campaign first? Like, does any progress/levelling etc carry over from the main story or is this entirely standalone in terms of progression?

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
This may sound like a subtle brag post but how is it on series X compared to a PC with a 3080? if I remember correctly gears 5 was updated on series X to look BETTER than PC, is this the same situation?

Oct 28, 2017
Was smooth on my end, there was a splash screen before entering the front menu with details on the installed parts plus the new DLC being added.

Maybe best to just launch the game and not get it from the store maybe that messes with the install.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to "install" it from the store and then the game recognises you have it and then has to download another 8Gb. Pretty poorly implemented.
What an absolute mess. Why things you can install from OS level are different than what you can install in game? Why do I have to have to game running to install DLC (or parts of the game)? Who at MS decided this was acceptable? I have so many questions. This entire implementation looks like an afterthought.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
What a mess. I downloaded the 12 GB and thought I could just jump in.
I was only one click away from actually paying for it when I booted up the game despite having GPU. Why did they fuck this up that bad. It's not like they're new to this.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
I think the blacks may be lifted in HDR, it doesnt really show true black on my oled, maybe my settings are wrong.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
Can you play this without finishing the main campaign first? Like, does any progress/levelling etc carry over from the main story or is this entirely standalone in terms of progression?

It is completely standalone in that sense, yes. You play as different characters and they have their own skill tree sort of thing with upgrades which is only a part of the Hivebusters campaign.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
14 months after launch paid dlc on a dead game? Good luck tC.

I found this edit of Penny Arcade's most recent comic which describes this perfectly:

EpSW2jDUUAQHkeZ

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So does this take place after Gears 5 ends? Trying to understand when and where in the timeline this is.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
So does this take place after Gears 5 ends? Trying to understand when and where in the timeline this is.
It's placement in the timeline isn't clear but I'm pretty sure it has no correlation with the events of 5. It definitely takes place after 4. I'm only in Act 2 and so far it seems to be the origin of the Venom Bomb which is used in Escape.

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Finished the DLC. Obviously quite short but still pretty damn good especially the second half if I'm honest. Soundtrack feels wayy different than a normal Gears experience but in a good way ofcourse. (credits still show Ramin Djawadi and Steve Jablonsky as the composers). Great that you can tell your AI teammates when to use their ultimates but it does feel like a coop experience first and foremost (in that regard). Really happy with this DLC and hopefully there's another one on the way :) Maybe something Rise of Raam related?

Oh boy did I not expect that thing to show up. Great monster design especially since it's like the first in-game non-Locust/Swarm monster to appear in the Gears series. Felt a lot like the Gears 3 ending boss.

Last edited:

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Finished the DLC. Obviously quite short but still pretty damn good especially the second half if I'm honest. Soundtrack feels wayy different than a normal Gears experience but in a good way ofcourse. (credits still show Ramin Djawadi and Steve Jablonsky as the composers). Great that you can tell your AI teammates when to use their ultimates but it does feel like a coop experience first and foremost (in that regard). Really happy with this DLC and hopefully there's another one on the way :) Maybe something Rise of Raam related?

Oh boy did I not expect that thing to show up. Great monster design especially since it's like the first in-game non-Locust/Swarm monster to appear in the Gears series. Felt a lot like the Gears 3 ending boss.
Already finished it? Damn that is short!