• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Nice, been looking forward to this. I finished my Series X replay of Gears 5 a week or so ago and I've been waiting to play this before I free up some SSD space. Looks great!

I was kind of expecting it to get announced at the Game Awards, so I guess we can scratch that one off!

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
That looks great and can we just take a moment to appreciate a developer supporting campaign split-screen co-op? Quite rare and the times it does happen, it's mostly two player. The Coalition went that step further.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
sweet, will check this out. has online coop as well.

That looks great and can we just take a moment to appreciate a developer supporting campaign split-screen co-op? Quite rare and the times it does happen, it's mostly two player. The Coalition went that step further.

as a PC player, the coalition certainly gets credit for supporting splitscreen campaign on coop, but that goodwill evaporated for me because leading up to release, they said they would be supporting 3 player splitscreen on PC.
www.pcgamer.com

Gears 5 will support 3-player splitscreen on PC

A nice feature for a predictably beefy PC version.

fast forward to the release of the game, though:

Which modes can be played in split-screen?

Xbox
Three player split-screen is supported in the following modes:
  • Campaign (2 Characters + Jack)
  • Horde
  • Escape
  • Versus
PC
In Gears 5, only our campaign experience supports local split-screen co-op on PC.
support.gearsofwar.com

Xbox Three player split-screen is supported in the following modes: Campaign (2 Characters + Jack) Horde Escape Versus PC In Gears 5, only our campaign experience supports local split-screen co-o...

so, they failed to mention that PC was only getting some splitscreen support, while Xbox was getting more modes playable in splitscreen.

seems to be a consistent thing with microsoft, as MCC has splitscreen on xbox but not on the newer PC version.

Last edited:

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
i have game pass on my PC, but i have Gears 5 ultimate edition on steam and finished on steam
i linked my microsoft account with this game on steam, will i get the DLC for free or i have to buy it?

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
finally watched the trailer and this looks great, i'll probably enjoy this a lot more than the main game. it started off great but ended up ruining itself with the worst open world design i've ever experienced. a tighter focused 3 hour dlc with Gears 5's awesome gunplay sounds great, and including with GPU!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Any word on of this is getting a physical release? Gears games i tend to buy both digital and physical.

Looks great though. I can take a few hours away from playing Fenyx Rising to play this.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its actually Tai's niece!

It's actually Hana Cole

unknown.png

Lahni Kaliso
3ib6Nrt.png

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Looks fantastic.

And it bodes well for potential big Xbox announcements at TGAs if they revealed the DLC this way.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Been waiting for this as an excuse to dive back into Gears 5 on the Series X, GPU continuing to be great value so one I'll definitely play through before Christmas.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Maybe it's Hana Cole, she appeared on the trailer
Could very well be for Brawler class since that is Cole's! That would leave one more to round out "Centaur Set". Wonder who it might be?
No, those were originally:

Mac (Anchor)
Clayton (Gunner)
Lizzie (Pilot)
Marcus (Veteran)
Cole (Brawler)

In the last update they separated the characters from their classes, so you can be Marcus as a sniper etc.
Lahni is a "Blademaster". Cole was the "Brawler". These are for Horde/Escape.
I know this, guys. I'm sorry if I didn't correctly convey what I was trying to say but Wake Lestat understood what I was driving at.

EDIT: Although, I now realize that I had Brawler and Blademaster confused in my head so it is a pretty sus theory at this point.

Quellyford

May 16, 2020
Nice, been looking forward to this. I finished my Series X replay of Gears 5 a week or so ago and I've been waiting to play this before I free up some SSD space. Looks great!

I was kind of expecting it to get announced at the Game Awards, so I guess we can scratch that one off!
Can't help but wonder, with Xbox announcing the Forza and Gears DLC this week that they must have bigger news to announce at TGAs? Am I crazy here?

Kemono

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice.

Will play it for sure. I really liked the Gears 5 campaign.

Something to get my XSX to work a little.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Dude. It's so cool I can take my abilities into this campaign DLC. I hope they have made it fully customizable and planned for all my possible builds.

This is dope.

Since MS didn't feel the need to show this and the Horizon update at the game awards im very curious what they will show.
I wouldn't be surprised if this and the FH4 trailer are actually what MS considers big parts of their VGA showing that they just got out there early for the hardest of hardcore. A lot of people watch the VGAs that won't know about this stuff until showtime, I think.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assumed it wasn't going to be included in Game Pass Ultimate, like the HW2 DLC, so this is awesome.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Wonder if the achievements will be overboard like the majority of update achievements are.

Oh well if they are, hopefully the content is good regardless. Enjoyed the Raam dlc back in the day.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
as a PC player, the coalition certainly gets credit for supporting splitscreen campaign on coop, but that goodwill evaporated for me because leading up to release, they said they would be supporting 3 player splitscreen on PC.
www.pcgamer.com

Gears 5 will support 3-player splitscreen on PC

A nice feature for a predictably beefy PC version.

fast forward to the release of the game, though:

support.gearsofwar.com

Xbox Three player split-screen is supported in the following modes: Campaign (2 Characters + Jack) Horde Escape Versus PC In Gears 5, only our campaign experience supports local split-screen co-o...

so, they failed to mention that PC was only getting some splitscreen support, while Xbox was getting more modes playable in splitscreen.

seems to be a consistent thing with microsoft, as MCC has splitscreen on xbox but not on the newer PC version.

I didn't know MCC games didn't have split-screen on PC and that's very disappointing, but it's something we've often seen on the format. As for Gears 5, I knew about that and while it is annoying, that it doesn't support every mode, the PC version of split-screen comes with its own advantages. Not only did it run at 60fps or higher at launch, it used the entire screen, while the Xbox version had large black bars at the sides.

All that said, it would have been nice to have every mode supported and it's understandable being disappointed, when the other version has it.

Thank you. This page says it requires a game, and it doesn't clarify if Gears 5 needs to be installed.

I would be very surprised to see it being standalone. This is a hook to get you (back) into the other Gears 5 content and if they allow you to complete it standalone, they're kinda letting you off the hook :)

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I hope Bernie shows up at some point. Given this is set in the place she was born, and Hoffman is in the trailer, I'm guessing the pair of them retired to Galangi. D'aww :')

Can't help but wonder, with Xbox announcing the Forza and Gears DLC this week that they must have bigger news to announce at TGAs? Am I crazy here?

I'm certainly curious to see if they have anything bigger to show. Gonna be a late night for me D:

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know MCC games didn't have split-screen on PC and that's very disappointing, but it's something we've often seen on the format. As for Gears 5, I knew about that and while it is annoying, that it doesn't support every mode, the PC version of split-screen comes with its own advantages. Not only did it run at 60fps or higher at launch, it used the entire screen, while the Xbox version had large black bars at the sides.

All that said, it would have been nice to have every mode supported and it's understandable being disappointed, when the other version has it.

not really disappointing because you're right, PC players have learned not to expect these features at this point. MCC on xbox also has HDR, but there is no HDR on PC.

microsoft continues to claim PC is an important ecosystem and that they haven't forgotten PC. so far it's only talk, because they put features like splitscreen and HDR on xbox but not on PC. if they are really committed to PC as a platform then they wouldn't do such things. all it does is leave PC players feeling shafted.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Loving the volcanic island location. This looks so good and at 3 hours, a perfect game to dip into when I need a break from Cyberpunk.