• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
20181025_202757g9d6s.jpg

I don't know, was RDR2 native 4K on Pro?
that was trolled to hell and called out a lot.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Game looked amazing when I played it over the weekend on my X. The colors and HDR just pop so well and the image is so clean looking.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People expected native 4k and 60fps?

I think most people including myself thought it would be native 4k and 60fps, because that's what we've been reading or hearing for weeks and months. I mean, if you just type 4k 60fps in search, you get a tonne of hits for it regarding Gears 5. Barely any mention of CBR or dynamic resolution anywhere.

Dont get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with CBR, but yes, I did think it was going to be native 4k, and evidently so did others. If anything I'm actually glad it's CBR, since at least that way they can push the graphics further.

Having said that, I still would have preferred the campaign targeted 30fps so they could blow the visuals and scope out. Dropping to 720p on the base One is also a bit disappointing, but that's the price of 60fps and the One hardware I guess.

Gears 5 MP is só cool, the game looks amazing in 4k/60fps.

Where's those campaign gifs from last year?! That trailer had visuals that were incredible. Still hard to believe it'll be 4k 60fps with 20x larger levels too!! Launch can't come soon enough. This game is going to be a graphical master piece in reviews I see

Gears 5 graphics Native 4k 60fps.
giphy.gif

Best looking game trailer so far.
Native 4K and 60FPS with this amount of details.

Glad they kept storms and destructible covers.
Game looks good, give me that 4k/60FPS-sweetness.

It looks quite good for 4K 60fps but it feels like Gears 4 graphics turned up to 11.

The snow, the debris and the strom itself look dissapointing.

No amount of gifs can compare to the actual experience of a 4K and silky smooth 60fps frame rate with super responsive controls.

This game is going to be every bit as good as anything when it comes out.

Insanely gorgeous graphics! Easily some of the best this gen and native 4k 60fps to boot

Coalition are wizards

The most likely scenario: MP will be native 4k/60fps and campaign will be non-native 4k/60fps and that's how they'll manage the graphical jump between modes.

The difference is this is aiming for 60fps, and apparently native 4K as well.

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think most people including myself thought it would be native 4k and 60fps, because that's what we've been reading or hearing for weeks and months. I mean, if you just type 4k 60fps in search, you get a tonne of hits for it regarding Gears 5. Barely any mention of CBR or dynamic resolution anywhere.

Dont get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with CBR, but yes, I did think it was going to be native 4k, and evidently so did others.
Why am I on this list, my post is from a Halo Infinite thread.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

Dont get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with CBR, but yes, I did think it was going to be native 4k, and evidently so did others.
I should clarify since you quoted me that PC always have the option for native 4K and 60fps.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Um yeah. People here especially kept going on and on about the game being Native 4K/60FPS so of course that's what people expected.
I checked the benchmark thread and only saw 3 people saying native 4k. Most said 4k.

Most say 4K not native 4K.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Instead if actually discussing the actual visuals (and how incredible the game looks in motion) some of you have managed to derail the discussion into a resolution war. Grats.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
They desperately need to tweak the enforcer weapon but the game looks and feels fantastic.

The reason it feels like trolling to say, "the game doesn't even look that good." Is because the game looks and plays fucking fantastic. I'm not going to assume your motives you say such asinine things but it is a ridiculous statement.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Instead if actually discussing the actual visuals (and how incredible the game looks in motion) some of you have managed to derail the discussion into a resolution war. Grats.

Well this thread is about the resolution and frame rate of Gears 5, no? Not really off topic.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I checked the benchmark thread and only saw 3 people saying native 4k. Most said 4k.
Well even saying 4K can mislead people. It's funny those same people who were saying 4K are now including "Dynamic" in their statement now that the truth is out there where as they never said anything about it before.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
This video does raise concerns for the frame rate during the campaign. The boot camp doesn't hold a locked 60fps and the campaign will surely be more demanding. I know it's unfinished code, but it'll be interesting to see how it hold up at release.

Not a fan to be honest. I prefer they call it what it is.

That's unrealistic for multiple reasons. The average gamer doesn't care how the resolution is reached, when talking in interviews it's easier to say "4K" than "reconstructed 4K using temporal injection", and if someone really cares to know the details they can usually figure them out.

This is misleading as shit as well, and fairly got dunked on when it showed up here on Era.

It's not saying native 4K and the game outputs a 3840x2160 resolution, so I don't see how it's misleading.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Dynamic means that it'll run at native 4K/60fps on next gen. I'm glad they made 60fps the performance target over native 4K. Doubling the framerate of Gears 4 SP and keeping it at native 4K was always going to be a tall task. Generally though, clearer language on this would be really rather helpful.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Noticed how I said non-native 4k in my exact post. Multiplayer being non-native is interesting but it's the mode concentrated on playability rather than eye candy and spectacle so it makes sense to keep up the FPS.

Yea, I remember you said you thought it'd be native 4k for MP, non native for SP, which I thought was surprising as campaigns are usually the component that is prioritised for IQ and visuals.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
That's unrealistic for multiple reasons. The average gamer doesn't care how the resolution is reached, when talking in interviews it's easier to say "4K" than "reconstructed 4K using temporal injection", and if someone really cares to know the details they can usually figure them out.

They can use terms like 4Kcr or 4Kti instead of just 4K to clear the confusion for us enthusiasts.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Well even saying 4K can mislead people. It's funny those same people who were saying 4K are now including "Dynamic" in their statement now that the truth is out there where as they never said anything about it before.
Well to be fair its hard to see if a game is dynamic and we only "find out" when VGtech, DF etc do test. Wich makes always imo the dynamic res argument for games better if people have a hard time seeing the changes.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Most say 4K not native 4K.

On this forum people often mention CBR when talking about a non native 4K game, eg 4K CB, 4K reconstructed, dynamic 4K etc. I think it's clear most or many thought it'd be native 4K, highlighted by the fact that some straight out mention native 4K, and also never got challenged or called up on it I might add. Because why would they, the assumption was they were right. Again, I'm actually personally glad it's CBR, but the messaging around it certainly muddied the waters.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
On this forum people often mention CBR when talking about a non native 4K game, eg 4K CB or 4K reconstructed etc. I think it's clear most or many thought it'd be native 4K, highlighted by the fact that some straight out mention native 4K, and also never got challenged or called up on it I might add. Because why would they, the assumption was they were right.
Most people said 4k tho. Not native . And usyally people only start saying CBR and dynamic res when VGtech and DF get their hands on it and we know whats its using.
So its not that weird most people just said 4K before that. :)

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

Dont get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with CBR, but yes, I did think it was going to be native 4k, and evidently so did others. If anything I'm actually glad it's CBR, since at least that way they can push the graphics further.

Having said that, I still would have preferred the campaign targeted 30fps so they could blow the visuals and scope out. Dropping to 720p on the base One is also a bit disappointing, but that's the price of 60fps and the One hardware I guess.

There has never been an interview, comment, or article from the devs that it was native. We also have had people like myself and others predict it wouldn't be native 4K with them targeting 60fps. Anyone thinking this would be native wasn't paying attention or had unrealistic expectations.

They can use terms like 4Kcr or 4Kti instead of just 4K to clear the confusion for us enthusiasts.

I don't disagree there, more information is always better. I wonder if those terms aren't generally thrown out by developers because it would probably confuse the average gamer more than informing them.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
This video does raise concerns for the frame rate during the campaign. The boot camp doesn't hold a locked 60fps and the campaign will surely be more demanding. I know it's unfinished code, but it'll be interesting to see how it hold up at release.

It's not saying native 4K and the game outputs a 3840x2160 resolution, so I don't see how it's misleading.
insert "you know it outputs in 1080p right"
EDIT: found it

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
4kcbr or not, it looks and plays fantastically at 60. MS and the Coalition made the right choice to focus on smooth framerates, without sacrificing the IQ that much.

Jan 17, 2019

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
On this forum people often mention CBR when talking about a non native 4K game, eg 4K CB, 4K reconstructed, dynamic 4K etc. I think it's clear most or many thought it'd be native 4K, highlighted by the fact that some straight out mention native 4K, and also never got challenged or called up on it I might add. Because why would they, the assumption was they were right. Again, I'm actually personally glad it's CBR, but the messaging around it certainly muddied the waters.
I see you are doing your normal work in an Xbox thread.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
People didn't expect reconstructed 4k? how else did you expect them to pull off 60 in campaign. Dynamic resolution is also expected as 4 uses it for multi, if they were pulling off native 4k they would be shouting it from the rooftops.

Jan 17, 2019
Most people said 4k tho. Not native . And usyally people only start saying CBR and dynamic res when VGtech and DF get their hands on it and we know whats its using.
So its not that weird most people just said 4K before that. :)

When somebody mention just "4k", it's accepted as "native 4k". Like 1080p before too.

What people expexted when during E3 2014 MS said that MCC collection will be 1080p? Dynamic, recostructed....? Nothing else other than native. And in then end collection is in native 1080p. Same crap when you say "4k"

Chamber

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be a mental fuck for a lot people next gen when everything is using reconstruction techniques.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
When somebody mention just "4k", it's accepted as "native 4k". Like 1080p before too.

What people expexted when during E3 2014 MS said that MCC collection will be 1080p? Dynamic, recostructed....? Nothing else other than native. And in then end collection is in native 1080p. Same crap when you say "4k"

Well this TR and really started to become more of a thing for games with the 4k consoles. So its not really the same as the 1080p story.
Halo 5 was also marketed as 1080p but used a dynamic res also at the end.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So it uses reconstruction and a dynamic res base to construct from?
It can hit "native 4K" but when it fails to maintain it will drop and start reconstructing?

If it maintains 60 locked then im sold.

As for the graphics not being impressive.
For MP to look this good im honestly a little taken aback that people would say that?
zDd1fzS.gif