• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

0:00 - Xbox One X Versus
3:28 - Xbox One X Boot Camp
5:37 - Xbox One Versus
9:06 - Xbox One Boot Camp

Xbox One X in the Versus mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2560x1440 and the highest native resolution found being 3840x2160. A form of temporal reconstruction is used that can increase the pixel count to 3840x2160 when the native resolution is below this figure. A native resolution of 3840x2160 seems to be rare here but pixel counts at 3840x2160 are common due to the temporal reconstruction.

Xbox One X in the Boot Camp mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the highest native resolution found being approximately 3200x1800. A form of temporal reconstruction is used that can increase the pixel count to 3840x2160. A native resolution of 1920x1080 seems to be rare in this mode and pixel counts at 3840x2160 are common due to the temporal reconstruction.

Xbox One in the Versus mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being 1280x720 and the highest native resolution found being approximately 1600x900. A form of temporal reconstruction is used that can increase the pixel count to 1920x1080. Pixel counts at 1920x1080 are common here due to the temporal reconstruction.

Xbox One in the Boot Camp mode uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest native resolution found being 1280x720 and the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080. A form of temporal reconstruction is used that can increase the pixel count to 1920x1080 when the native resolution is below this figure. A native resolution of 1280x720 seems to be rare in this mode and pixel counts at 1920x1080 are common. Both consoles have motion blur enabled in the Boot Camp mode and disabled in the Versus mode.

Framerate stats

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
So it's not native 4K on X1X? Interesting.

Also the graphics on console are kind of bad tbh. I'm glad they made a good pc port.

Last edited:

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
User banned (1 day): trolling
wtf the game still plays exact the same as gears of war back in 2005! even the most basic animations are the same lol

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
wtf the game still plays exact the same as gears of war back in 2005! even the most basic animations are the same lol
Nah it feels much slicker, even compared to 4. The controls feel light and easy, compared to the heavy and somewhat sluggish controls of the original trilogy. Edit: also it was 2006 :p

Why no PC in this comparison?

Last edited:

hoserx

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Nah it feels much slicker, even compared to 4. The controls feel light and easy, compared to the heavy and somewhat sluggish controls of the original trilogy.

Probably because PC involves testing way more configurations to see how the game performs on a wide range of systems. Xbox One vs Xbox One X is way easier and takes less time.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know its a technical test but this is the first time I'm not impressed with gears graphics. Maybe when I play the campaign

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Nah it feels much slicker, even compared to 4. The controls feel light and easy, compared to the heavy and somewhat sluggish controls of the original trilogy.

I'm playing on PC for the first time after playing every other iteration on Xbox and controller, and I don't know if it's the keyboard or the game, but things feel... stickier maybe? I'm having a lot of trouble getting off of walls when in cover. I've rebound my sprint and roll to shift to emulate alternate scheme on controller and it just doesn't feel right. I don't really want to go back to controller, but I almost feel like it would play better on controller (minus aiming of course).

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
It was never going to be with them targeting 60fps.

People expected native 4k and 60fps?

Our target is always 60fps, and we believe – with everything we've done, the learning we've taken from Gears 4, and the optimizations we've been able to do beyond that – that's exactly what we're going to be doing, 60fps at 4K. The new technology of this generation has been fantastic.

I was sceptical.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
So if when people say "4K" they don't mean native 4K why exactly is it a bragging point for them?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm playing on PC for the first time after playing every other iteration on Xbox and controller, and I don't know if it's the keyboard or the game, but things feel... stickier maybe? I'm having a lot of trouble getting off of walls when in cover. I've rebound my sprint and roll to shift to emulate alternate scheme on controller and it just doesn't feel right. I don't really want to go back to controller, but I almost feel like it would play better on controller (minus aiming of course).
First time I've played a Gears game on PC with Gears 5 and it feels slick as hell for me compared to previous installments I've played on console. Low latency, responsive, playing with XBO controller. Not tried m/kb.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People expected native 4k and 60fps?

Well yes. TC said they're going for4K 60, that combined with all the comments of how amazing the game looked on the X (on a previous thread) and how good the IQ was I expected it to be native. Guess I was wrong.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
This is the best looking MP game on consoles and the HDR is blowing me away. It is damn impressive. Well done Coalition!

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People saying the game "doesn't look that impressive" just have to be trolls surely? It looks amazing. I mean art style is subjective and all and Gears generally isn't my thing....but its a really nice looking game.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting results and I am glad they stuck to 60fps but for me it's going to be 1440p and at least 60fps on my PC. Can't wait.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have to say native if they mention 4K?

That's generally been the case ever since reconstruction techniques have been introduced.

So if when people say "4K" they don't mean native 4K why exactly is it a bragging point for them?

60fps at 4K TR is still an impressive state for a console game. That's like saying games like HZD, GoW, RDR2, BF2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and all the other games used reconstruction techniques to reach 4K aren't impressive.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
People saying the game "doesn't look that impressive" just have to be trolls surely? It looks amazing. I mean art style is subjective and all and Gears generally isn't my thing....but its a really nice looking game.
The art is amazing too. District is so colorful and moody and training ground just explodes with color. Its such clean IQ. Graphics are subjective I guess but I think the people downplaying the graphics are absolutely 100% insane.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
That's generally been the case ever since reconstruction techniques have been introduced.

60fps at 4K TR is still an impressive state for a console game. That's like saying games like HZD, GoW, RDR2, BF2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and all the other games used reconstruction techniques to reach 4K aren't impressive.

I never said it wasn't impressive. I think it's a great looking game but I just find it slightly amusing how reconstructed 4K is bad for some games, but not others, that's all.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The art is amazing too. District is so colorful and moody and training ground just explodes with color. Its such clean IQ. Graphics are subjective I guess but I think the people downplaying the graphics are absolutely 100% insane.

Yeah I will say I prefer district's visuals over TGs but both are IMO very nice. And the HDR is certainly top notch to my eyes.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I would imagine they just want to compare it to games that run at half the frame rate. I'm playing Gears of War 4 right now and the visuals look impressive to me and to be honest Gears 5 looks better than that so I'm not sure what they are looking at.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Does it have to say native if they mention 4K?
20181025_202757g9d6s.jpg

I don't know, was RDR2 native 4K on Pro?

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would imagine they just want to compare it to games that run at half the frame rate. I'm playing Gears of War 4 right now and the visuals look impressive to me and to be honest Gears 5 looks better than that so I'm not sure what they are looking at.

Even then I don't think you can compare directly - games do different things in different ways and scale and design play a big part.

Kolya

Jan 26, 2018
Whoever said it's bad for some games but not others?

I have no names, only my personal experiences from reading threads on here. I'm not gonna dirty the thread any more with 'console warring' it ultimately serves no purpose, but I'm happy to talk more privately.

Edit: Basically what I'm getting at is hypocrisy. I just don't like seeing hypocrisy regarding any topic that's all.

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
I would imagine they just want to compare it to games that run at half the frame rate.
I mean hell even when compared to 30 FPS games on console Gears 5 comes out on top IMO. I think the tech test is probably the best looking MP experience on consoles. 60 FPS is just icing on the cake. The only gripe I have is that the damn big red gears logo that pops up as you die is too much. I know that has been part of the game for a while but it just covers up the beautiful graphics.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, now that makes sense. I was thinking there was no way the X could hit 4K60 compared to the performance I was seeing on my PC.

That part of the tutorial that drops to 48~50 and stays there depending on where you look will just make me cap it to 30 if it's as frequent as it is in the tutorial. Only way I found to completely eliminate this was dropping shadows to Low, but they look WAY too bad on Low.

It's interesting that it acts like a CPU bottleneck, so I can increase or reduce resolution and still get the exact same framerate at these spots, but at least in the graphics menu it says that the impact is on the GPU.

Dictator , did you look into this test?

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Really hope people embrace at some point these techniques. TR and Dynamic Res. It still results in a great picture and creates more room for other improvements and keeps the framerate balanced.
I mean a couple of lost frames you notice. A couple hundered pixels you dont.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I have no names, only my personal experiences from reading threads on here. I'm not gonna dirty the thread any more with 'console warring' it ultimately serves no purpose, but I'm happy to talk more privately.

PM if you like but I imagine anyone ignorant enough to bash or troll reconstruction techniques aren't worth the attention.

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Nah it feels much slicker, even compared to 4. The controls feel light and easy, compared to the heavy and somewhat sluggish controls of the original trilogy. Edit: also it was 2006 :p

It's mostly due the 60 frame per second not gameplay improvments!

first gameplay has shown in 2005 iirc :d

It is gears. Why should it change?
ٰNo need to change but the game needs some improvments after almost 15 years!

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
The insane image quality in combination with the smooth 60fps rendered output resulted in a really great visual experience during the tech test over the weekend. Super happy they achieved these visuals at 60fps while still offering dynamic 4K resolution.

zDd1fzS.gif

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I use that barometer... It's the only definite answer.

You make a fair point.

They usually do nowadays. 4k can be achieved different ways. Imo every game needs to by dynamic tho. Think its a great thing we got this gen.
Its great back up to keep a solid framerate.

Does this game reconstruct from 1440p to 4K as well? I agree about maintaining a steady frame-rate.

Not a fan to be honest. I prefer they call it what it is.

20181025_202757g9d6s.jpg

I don't know, was RDR2 native 4K on Pro?

No. I'm not in favour of this image either.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm abit confused as well. This is multiplayer footage at 60fps and it looks better than say Uncharted 4 multiplayer at the same framerate, so the campaign should look pretty insane.

I guess given the campaign is at same FPS as MP not sure there will be additional headroom.