• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Update:

Preload is now live. For all editions including Gamepass
54gb on Xbox One
59GB on MS store
56gb on Steam

Preload is not up yet for me. Guess its very soon

untitled37koo.png

Last edited:

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Almost half the size of Gears 4. What the hell went wrong with that situation lmao

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And hopefully this one can uninstall with no issues. I bet there are ton of people that think they uninstalled 4 only to have it still taking up over 100GB of space.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Not bad. Once it's out I'll finally clear the monster size of 4 off my hard drive.

Has gamepass been able to preload before?

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Sweet, I just deleted 4 from my external to make space. Now I can replace it with Gears 5 and DMC5 thanks to Gamepass.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully being out of windows store will help it download and install properly unlike 4, had to go through +600gb of bandwidth before it worked properly.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait. Seeing how big Gears 4 got makes me realize how much content in it I probably never played.

Aug 15, 2019
Gonna be the longest week ever. Can't wait until next Thursday! I assume preload will be up Friday. That's when the media embargo lifts and Rod confirmed on Twitter that preload will be live before the end of the month, so makes sense.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
The Coalition has also implemented better compression tech (they did for Gears 4 as well, so there were some points where the overall size decreased after an update but not as much as what they were able to do with Gears 5) and it's likely that the disc will only hold the Campaign while the Day One updates will include everything else like Gears 4 did. Steam still has the storage as 80GBs, so it's likely the PC version is just larger plus it also has the additional higher res texture pack.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Btw for people that get the game for PC on the MS store. Buy or gamepass. The Xbox app just got a update with some new features and fixes.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's reasonable enough. Not keeping Gears 4 installed because it's ludicrously big right now, but this can stay for a while unless they double the size throughout its life cycle.

keidash

Jan 31, 2018
September 6 can't come soon enough, but regarding Gears 4 it was almost the same size at the beginning, it started growing not very fast until the texture pack and the 4k patch came in along with the 16 o 24 extra maps... I haven't uninstalled yet but the time has come, I don't want nearly 200 GB of gears in my HDD.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
September 6 can't come soon enough, but regarding Gears 4 it was almost the same size at the beginning, it started growing not very fast until the texture pack and the 4k patch came in along with the 16 o 24 extra maps... I haven't uninstalled yet but the time has come, I don't want nearly 200 GB of gears in my HDD.

Fairly certain the 4K texture pack is opt in now, so you should only install it if you actually run it at 4K. If they add as many maps as they did in Gears 4 though it will grow in size for sure.

Werd

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As long as I don't have to download it 4+ times dealing with a dozen errors on Windows store like Gears 4.... that was ridiculous. Thankfully even with it's issues the new XBox app has been decent for me so far.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Preload is now live
54gb on Xbox One
59GB on MS store

Last edited:

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I was able to download via gamepass on Monday. Give me all them 4k textures please.

edit: actually surprised it's not bigger, but i'm not complaining

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else still grinding for the 'Road to Gears' rewards?
Any downside to installing this on PC? Will I be able to play with joypad players without jumping through too many hoops? This isn't a mouse+kb game to me.