• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Weird lol. This is my first gears game ever, and I am loving it. I played like 4 hours in one sitting, which rarely ever happens to me. It's easily one of the best games of the year.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Again, we can discuss whatever you'd like. I've played Gears 2 and now Gears 5, and there is simply no excuse for Gears 5 to play like it does. It's clunky. It's stale.

Uncharted 4, The Division, and others all play better and more responsively.
You didn't reply to me earlier. You think that there's no way to tell if you're going to roll or if you're going to slide.
That's pretty false.
It's so weird that people are asking for a clip as if the OP being inexperienced/bad at the game disproves everything they're saying. Given that the game has gone from #1 on the Most Played charts to #21 in little over a month you'd think it would be worth examining if something isn't quite right.
Uh, why are you so caught up in it's amount of players? Does having less players mean a game isn't good? The game has been out for a month and a half and we've had quite a few high profile releases in between. While sure it'd be nice if the game had more players, it's no where near "low".

And OP seems to think there's no way to tell between rolling and sliding, which is quite literally false. There's a distance where you do one or the other and you can learn that distance.

And why the push to make the movement "tactical"? What does that even mean lol? The game controls great, is smooth and is very responsive. All of that is enough to make the MP fun to learn and even more fun to master.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I play Rocket League (Champ, so decently high level for someone who doesn't have running mates) and do decent at Cod, Apex, and more. Definitely not my TV.

You basically can't tell when you're going to roll or go into cover. When you do pull out of cover, it's iffy to tell which way you're going. It's stiff and clunky. I'm fighting the controls here. "That's Gears" is not a valid excuse. That's crappy game design.

Last I played gears was 3 but this is how I remember it. You "snap" into cover against surfaces when you're facing them within a certain angle and distance if you leave the control stick neutral or move it towards that surface.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah gears controls bashing has been around a while.
Some ppl play shooters nothing like it then get their shit pushed in so game must control bad.
I got utterly fucked back in 2006 on gears 1 but knew it was a skill curve so i persisted and was heavily rewarded

This is the real issue.

Gears plays like nothing else. People who are used to jumping from one game to the next, and never having to adapt due to near identical controls, play Gears and aren't automatically good so they cry foul. There is absolutely nothing wrong with how Gears controls but being good at other games doesn't really translate.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has always controlled on the slightly heavier, but still fairly hasty side. Whilst I think the aiming itself is competent and satisfying, I do think the controls or inputs for certain things can be slightly cumbersome or aren't the most intuitive or refined, eg a few times in my playthrough I'd stick to cover instead of jumping or dropping off ledges, or switch weapons instead of picking up ammo etc. On occasion, I'd even have to keep picking up weapons as it would continually pick up the wrong one due to weird weapon proximity issues. I also think the whole wall bouncing stuff looks and is ridiculous, but many people seem to enjoy it. In the end, these would be minor nitpicks in an otherwise mostly solid feeling and playing TPS.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
By extension, it should also be reflective of the quality of Fortnite's combat and movement. I personally am not a fan of Fornite's combat.
Fortnite's meta and skill gap is driven more by building and map knowledge than movement and combat. Lots of winners get there without getting more than 5 kills the entire match. Gears by comparison has a team arena meta where you rise to the top by getting more kills or playing an objective that tends to require supressing enemies with combat and kills.

Pipyakas

Jul 20, 2018
Not particularly a Gears5 thing, but the roadie run camera shake really mess with my eyes. The weak hit impact and amount of recoil on spraying also doesn't help either
Thank god for Game Pass that I could check the game out and delete it 30min later

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Not particularly a Gears5 thing, but the roadie run camera shake really mess with my eyes. The weak hit impact and amount of recoil on spraying also doesn't help either
Thank god for Game Pass that I could check the game out and delete it 30min later

You can turn off the camera shake in Gears 5 in the settings.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can switch off the shaking camera for roadie run.

EDIT: Ghostcrew!!

But seriously it should be more visible to new players.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
How are we OK with this horribly controlling game getting a pass and even great review scores?

The movement is clunky and the lack of responsiveness makes multiplayer a mess.

I can't be the only one that hates this. I know some games require you to "adapt" to their control schemes, but this is not a matter of adapting. It just controls terribly.

Glad I got it on Game Pass, at least.
I will predict you're useless at the game, so you blame the controls.

Gears is easily the best controlling 3rd person shooter.....nothing comes close.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Which at this point is imo a bad thing.

I know its a fps but, destiny spoiled me. In gears im fighting the controls. In destiny the controls are like an extension of my mind
In Destiny you're fighting the lack of content :p

In all seriousness, Gears has always been a slower third person shooter. It's more "heavy". There's weight behind the guns, cover, movement, melee, etc. It's not supposed to be a 60 fps twitch shooter.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Yeah I love it.
Works as intended I never feel like it is clunky or slow. I can fly around a map. Was this OPs first Gears?

I will predict you're useless at the game, so you blame the controls.

Gears is easily the best controlling 3rd person shooter.....nothing comes close.

I don't think that's true. When compared to other 3rd person shooters it can feel limiting but it serves the gameplay they have centered it around which is primarily cover based.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Can't say about The Division's pvp as I haven't played it, but I enjoyed Uncharted 4's multiplayer more than Gears 5's arcade versus mode. The verticality in the former really adds to the experience.

There's a bit of a delay to the startup animation for the roll, which does make things feel a little clunky at times.
There is no 'delay' to the startup animation for the roll though, so I'm not really sure what you're saying. I've been playing Gears since the first game and at no point did I ever say "wow these controls suck". Based on popular opinion in this very thread, the problem is not with the game, but rather user error.

Also, you enjoying UC4 MP over Gears 5's arcade mode does nothing to prove your point. Arcade mode is super simplified to the point where mastering the movement mechanics barely helps.

But anyway, Gears has a very passionate competitive scene, Uncharted doesn't. UC4 is the definition of a casual MP shooter, which is fine, but it's mechanics would not work in a competitive setting at all. The main difference being Gears giving the player more control over what the player character is doing. When to take cover, when to roll, etc etc. The cover system basically works automatically in Uncharted as well as TLOU, which is fine, but again gives you less to master.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Plays like Gears. Better shooting and maneuver. That said, I didn't like how Gears 1 controlled at first. If this is your first Gears game, I get where you're coming from. It takes some time to adjust to.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017

Wow look at that clunky movement system! /s

The people saying "it's Gears" have likely seen videos like the above and just KNOW that people saying the movement is bad are wrong. Just because it moves "differently" doesn't mean it moves "bad". People like to confuse those two a lot on this forum though and I get that.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OP only responding to the last replies and completely ignoring the ones actually disagreeing with him.

Gears controls great. The controls feel deliberate and precise.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Oct 25, 2017
They still haven't fixed the Logitech sound issue on PC, nor have they acknowledged it...

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played a Gears of War game so I cannot directly comment on how it controls. With that said, I find it easy to get used to control schemes so long as they're functional - after all, I can enjoy the likes of Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 and other tank-controlled games just fine. I think there's a difference between being functional and dysfunctional. The aforementioned games function just fine, even if they're not the most optimal way to play a game given the evolution of standards in the industry. On the other hand, while I can't think of any examples, I'm sure there are games that are both outdated and dysfunctional, where actually playing the game feels like a chore.

Is there any other game that Gears of War compares to with regard to how it plays so that I can get a better idea? I'll probably never get a chance to play it unless someone gifts me an Xbox in the future. I'm really curious.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How are we OK with this horribly controlling game getting a pass and even great review scores?

The movement is clunky and the lack of responsiveness makes multiplayer a mess.

I can't be the only one that hates this. I know some games require you to "adapt" to their control schemes, but this is not a matter of adapting. It just controls terribly.

Glad I got it on Game Pass, at least.

You're wild. For me, Gears of War controls best out of all of the third-person cover shooters. It's much better in that aspect than the Resident Evil TPS games or Uncharted. I don't understand what you are seeing but it's not what I'm seeing.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
The problem with Gears 5 is that you do the same thing that you already did in every other Gears. Cover + Shoot, next area, Cover + Shoot. The game has some fine aditions this time, jack is fun, the co-op is great and we don't have many games doing this with the same level of quality.
The thing is: If the "cover+shoot" did nothing for you in previous games than it may be not enough to enjoy this time.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
I've always thought Gears was clunky and tank like. The running was already weird to me too. Running while crouching just looks weird too.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OP only responding to the last replies and completely ignoring the ones actually disagreeing with him.

Gears controls great. The controls feel deliberate and precise.

This is why reddit gained traction. It has its fault but at least this kind of thread should be downvoted to oblivion and wouldn't keep appearing on my main page.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Third person shooter with WEIGHT in the movement and actions?

Well, seems like a dream come true!

Wait! It has been like this since 2006 but it keeps getting refined year after year? Impressive!

Testing....Woah, look at these intuitive controls and weighty movements! Wish more TPS felt like this, like controlling an actual being with weight on screen!

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
It definitely controls like Gears. Can't say I like it myself, but it accomplishes what its going for.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog (amongst others) have significantly pushed forward the state of the art when it comes to real-time interactive animation and Epic/TC have somehow managed to completely ignore all of that progress. It's not that Gears should feel like Uncharted - it's that Gears 5 should be pushing forward like all the other AAA third person games rather than circling the drain of the past.
Gears 5 is tight and precise, because it's not focused on smooth realistic animations, so I wouldn't want it any other way.
And the past doesn't mean bad. How many new games do you see on best game of all time lists? The most common top games are Zelda OoT, Super Mario 64, Super Metroid, Castlevania SOTN, Final Fantasy 7, etc, games from the 90s.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy...

Gears is the best at what it does and people like it this way, hence its success even today

A month after launch it is 21st on the US Most Played XBox charts despite launching on Game Pass with an incredibly generous offer. It really isn't that successful compared to the major multiplayer games of this generation, and while it may still be profitable, Gears of War (2006) was a major multiplayer game of its generation.

Gears 5 is tight and precise, because it's not focused on smooth realistic animations, so I wouldn't want it any other way.
And the past doesn't mean bad. How many new games do you see on best game of all time lists? The most common top games are Zelda OoT, Super Mario 64, Super Metroid, Castlevania SOTN, Final Fantasy 7, etc, games from the 90s.

It's not tight and precise though.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
A month after launch it is 21st on the US Most Played XBox charts despite launching on Game Pass with an incredibly generous offer. It really isn't that successful compared to the major multiplayer games of this generation, and while it may still be profitable, Gears of War (2006) was a major multiplayer game of its generation.

If it's anything like gears 4 (which most people agree was inferior) it will have long legs. It's the kind of game that stays alive till the next entry because what it offers is unique. Much like Rainbow Six Siege or For Honor. they dont make Fornite numbers but they have a steady population.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I think gears has always played great, but it definitely requires a decent time investment for it to click. It kind of reminds me of the learning curve from Street Fighter to Blaz Blue.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
If it's anything like gears 4 (which most people agree was inferior) it will have long legs. It's the kind of game that stays alive till the next entry because what it offers is unique. Much like Rainbow Six Siege or For Honor. they dont make Fornite numbers but they have a steady population.

Rainbow Six is one of the breakout successes of this generation and is enormously popular across all three platforms years after it launched. Gears 5 isn't nearly as popular on one platform a month after launch. I'm not suggesting that it's going to suddenly be impossible to find matches but everything right now would indicate Gears 5 will be a minnow.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's not tight and precise though.
But it is. Check a video of someone that can play it if you can't see it yourself. It plays almost like a FPS even though it's third person, which is very rare. The shooting is tight and fast, reloading and moving from cover to cover are tight gameplay mechanics instead of just fancy animations. It's classic "Gears" and that's a good thing.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Rainbow Six is one of the breakout successes of this generation and is enormously popular across all three platforms years after it launched. Gears 5 isn't nearly as popular on one platform a month after launch. I'm not suggesting that it's going to suddenly be impossible to find matches but everything right now would indicate Gears 5 will be a minnow.
You do realize Siege was exactly like that. the game had shit numbers when it launched for several months and it grew steadily. I am not saying gears 5 will do that but the game has it's loyal fanbase.