• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
"That's Gears" is some weird reasoning. Maybe they should improve in some ways. I wouldn't call them garbage myself, but they aren't stellar either.
It's not some weird reasoning at all, gears plays different than any other TPS, the cover system and movement are perfect once you've mastered them, but it takes time and people don't have patience today.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
The only problem with Gears is the control scheme isn't the most friendly to mouse and keyboard, hard to pull off more advanced dodge and run techniques. Also hate you still can't slide around corners while maintaining cover.

NitX

Lead Developer
Verified
Aug 20, 2018
Because a game series has historically played bad.

This is false. It hasnt historically played bad. Its a pure cover shooter. You are not running and gunning like other games and it controls that way. Its also not bad game design. Its game design. Lots of people dont like it and its fair. Its definitely not for everyone.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
OP isn't replying to any of the decent replies and just doubling down on lazy ones. He not here to have a discussion, he just wanted to shit on the game and move on. Don't kid yourselves.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I have never felt that any of the gears games played bad. All of them feel satisfying to play. If you mean that you don't like the emphasis on cover base military style game, then you choose the wrong game to play. The latest gears feels amazing to play.

May 13, 2018
I played Gears 5 at a friends house. First time I've played Gears in 9 or 10 years. It felt clunky to me too, but I knew that it was because I'm not used to gears anymore.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
"The unique way it feels should just be made to feel like popular games you can get elsewhere instead" the thread.

Agree with you about not being the only one to like it theres plenty around with that opinion.

Last edited:

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Gears 5 feel fantastic to play on my end, just as every other entry has.

This must be what people who enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2 feel like when others say it controls like a shopping cart full of rocks.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a Gears thing, I honestly like the feel, it's like controlling a train.
Obligatory
giphy.gif

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
People expecting a FPS never having played gears don't like the slow sluggish movement.

okay. Move on. Enjoy life.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Being mad that a Gears game plays like a Gears game

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I compare most third person shooters controls to Gears and am usually disappointed.

Oct 25, 2017
It's not my favorite either, but I don't think it's bad, and it's definitely not inconsistent.

Even if I do prefer how Uncharted and The Last of Us feel, I'm still glad Gears doesn't play like them.

Only thing I genuinely dislike is grenades.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming this is your first Gears, because the controls/player movement in 5 are perfect for....Gears. The skill ceiling for gears is high, and it's not friendly to casuals or newcomers and never will be honestly.

nerdv2

Apr 23, 2019
What are you even talking about OP?
If you played every previous entry in the series, Gears 5 feels perfect.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Gears has always been pretty weighty. Not my cup of tea, but the fans like it so no problem. Not every game needs to play the same way. It's better to have some variety in how games control/feel.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This pretty much plays like how I remember Gears of War 3 playing back in 2011. Sounds like it's not up your alley honestly.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Just to be clear, when people say that Gears always controlled like this, and/or that Gears 5 is the best-controlling game in the series, the context for that is that it's one of the highest-rated and best-regarded series in the genre.

toadfrawg

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Gears as a whole feels very different than most TPS out there. To me, what separates it from all of the others is that Gears has more of tactical spin to it, or at least it used too. The game doesn't want you running around jumping, sliding, hoping over things like you are a ninja. It's always been a more of slower more deliberate controlling game. Back in the Gears 1 days, when the main multi mode was Warzone and you only had one life per round, and you could die with one good shot, people played slower. The controls were better suited for that style of play. Recent Gears games have sped things up and most modes have respawn now, so you see a lot more ppl trying to play faster with what is basically the same playing controls the series has always had. I imagine for newcomers it can feel really strange to play coming off more nimble controlling games.

Oct 25, 2017
How are we OK with this horribly controlling game getting a pass and even great review scores?

The movement is clunky and the lack of responsiveness makes multiplayer a mess.

I can't be the only one that hates this. I know some games require you to "adapt" to their control schemes, but this is not a matter of adapting. It just controls terribly.

Glad I got it on Game Pass, at least.

It feels like the other gears games so its been that way for years unfortunately

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe in a world where Max Payne 3, MGS5, Vanquish, and Uncharted 4 don't exist.
Different games with different goals. Gears is perfect for what it wants to do.

Also, Vanquish must be the most overrated game of all time on this forum, and MGS5 is the shittiest game of the generation (yes it controls very well but who cares if everything else is awful).

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
How are we OK with this horribly controlling game getting a pass and even great review scores?

The movement is clunky and the lack of responsiveness makes multiplayer a mess.

I can't be the only one that hates this. I know some games require you to "adapt" to their control schemes, but this is not a matter of adapting. It just controls terribly.

Glad I got it on Game Pass, at least.

Sounds like Gears.

More than that, it sounds like you were expecting a modern FPS. That ain't gears.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Different games with different goals. Gears is perfect for what it wants to do.

Also, Vanquish must be the most overrated game of all time on this forum, and MGS5 is the shittiest game of the generation (yes it controls very well but who cares if everything else is awful).

Vanquish can't be the most overrated game when BOTW, GOW and RDR2 exist.

MGS5 can't be the shittiest game if the generation when Fallout 76, Anthem and the new Contra exist.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I wouldn`t say that's bad, but it's like, same old stuff? I don't know, when I play Uncharted 4 I can sense that they improved the cover shooter aspect, but I can't feel that with Gears 5.

MGS5 is the shittiest game of the generation
MGS5 is still better than 80% games this gen. Really don't get the hate this game gets around here lol

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Its indeed the best Gears so far.

But I still have some problems with it:

1. They haven't found a good way to deal with collision between teammates. If you roll back and your team mate is there, you just get stuck there and boom, you get shotgunned. I wish they were a bit more considerate, specially when the characters are a huge block of collision.

2. Better communication tools, I can't believe they haven't tried something like Pings or the Overwatch command wheel. I know it has emotes, but it needs something better.

3. Also if your team mates leave, they don't get penalized that badly atm. This always has been a problem with gears.

4. Even at full sensitivity, the game is still slow compared to mouse and keyboard users. They should allow for faster turning even in controls IMO.

5. Also if 2 people are in cover and they bump each other, one of them gets fucked up and you can't really do anything about it.

Besides that its fun, but they need to improve in some more areas IMO. They have done great improvements over 4, but it can still do more.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Vanquish can't be the most overrated game when BOTW, GOW and RDR2 exist.

MGS5 can't be the shittiest game if the generation when Fallout 76, Anthem and the new Contra exist.
Well, it's the shittiest game I've played this generation, I was so disappointed by it. As a huge fan of MGS, it was insulting.

RDR2 is amazing tho, I know, controls are clunky as hell, but the world and the story are just breathtaking.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears has never been better. If you dont like the franchise that's totally fine but it's not an issue that Gears 5 controls poorly.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
The only control issue i had was putting the chainsaw on the same button as reload. Pretty terrible choice.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OP isn't replying to any of the decent replies and just doubling down on lazy ones. He not here to have a discussion, he just wanted to shit on the game and move on. Don't kid yourselves.
Exactly what I was thinking about halfway through the first page. Conversation wasn't the goal for this thread.