• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Anyone notice the downgrade on the ice skiff section on the new trailer vs last year's cinematic trailer?

On the old trailer there is loads of snow dust coming off the back of the skiff and Kait's skate etc, but on the new trailer, nothing.
Here you go.

E3 2018 trailer:
gears5old.jpg

Gamescom 2019 trailer:
gears5new.jpg

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Could be one seems like a cinematic, the other seems like actual gameplay? At least that's my take based on the distance of the camera from Kait.

But yeah, there's a clear downgrade there if that's gameplay.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Could be one seems like a cinematic, the other seems like actual gameplay? At least that's my take based on the distance of the camera from Kait.

No they're both gameplay, I just took a shot at a more zoomed out section in the original trailer to show more of the dust.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This is what I think, the first ice skiff scene on the debut trailer looked like a cinematic, and Gears 4 had mostly pre-rendered cinematics so it can be the same with 5.
Here's another shot from the original trailer.

gears5old2.jpg

I thought Coalition had already confirmed no pre-rendered cinematics in Gears 5?

Just seems strange to me, looked really off and flat in the new trailer in that section. Hopefully it's one of those weird Crackdown 3 moments where they just forgot to enable it for the trailer or something.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Horrible trailer song.

4 was much better

Don't own a Xbox one so won't be playing this and never played 4, but I do love this series. Hope it is a critical and commercial success

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Or perhaps the reasoning for toning down the particles was the same as for making the sail transparent - it affected visibility too much.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I thought Coalition had already confirmed no pre-rendered cinematics in Gears 5?
I hope so, because all of the cinematics of 4 stutter a lot on my PC (maybe it's because the HDD). At least they look nice, while other games like Automata have cinematics that look blurry and far worse than ingame content (I will never understand the need to use pre-rerendered in-engine cinematics tbh).

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
Here's another shot from the original trailer.

gears5old2.jpg

Just seems strange to me, looked really off and flat in the new trailer in that section. Hopefully it's one of those weird Crackdown 3 moments where they just forgot to enable it for the trailer or something.
I'm thinking that's a cost of 60 FPS.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I hope so, because all of the cinematics of 4 stutter a lot on my PC (maybe it's because the HDD). At least they look nice, while other games like Automata have cinematics that look blurry and far worse than ingame content (I will never understand the need to use pre-rerendered in-engine cinematics tbh).
Yes, I'm sure that's why Rod said they're going with real-time for Gears 5.

Gears 4 was on an incredibly tight production schedule which is why they went down the pre-rendered route.
I'm thinking that's a cost of 60 FPS.
If it is, then let's hope the dust effects are still in the PC version.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
We really need some comparison gifs to fully access any downgrades.

As mentioned, it's probably due to 60fps, which makes me worried about the dust in the red desert location. It's literally not there, I hope they didn't sacrifice effects for 60fps, something Gears campaign didn't need.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
We really need some comparison gifs to fully access any downgrades.

As mentioned, it's probably due to 60fps, which makes me worried about the dust in the red desert location. It's literally not there, I hope they didn't sacrifice effects for 60fps, something Gears campaign didn't need.
Just to help, the timestamps for each video for anyone who wants to compare in motion are there at the bottom of the screen-grabs I posted.

Honestly, it was just something I noticed but I'm not too concerned about, as it's probably just an anomaly like the CD3 thing was. What I do know is that the boot-camp looking fucking mind-blowingly good on my 2080 Ti in the tech test (and apparently the X was no slouch), and I've no doubt the campaign is going to blow me away.

Trailers and screenshots just don't do any games justice anymore. It's not until I'm playing it on my OLED that I can really judge.

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
Haven't touched Gears since 3, but with Gamepass I'll probably jump into this for some mushy shouty shooty fun.

Do I need to have played 4 for this to make sense?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
ConventionalEveryAgouti-size_restricted.gif

TangibleScientificAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

The effect is completely gone compared to 2018.

Well shit, that's a downgrade if I ever saw one. 60fps was the wrong choice for campaign.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Do I need to have played 4 for this to make sense?
Yes.
I agree, the lack of interaction with the ground elements (ice, sand) is quite bad, hoping that at least the PC version have them.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Even the shader doesn't look as great, it's way more cartoony now what the hell

Right? I thought it might be the gif, but watching the trailer and it's the same throughout.

What if 30 FPS base Xbox One has more effects than Xbox One X 60 FPS?

Either way decided I'm playing this on my laptop to customize the graphics to my liking.

That would be embarrasing for the X. I think they dialed down the effects to accommodate the base console. If this was X/PC only, it might look closer to the 2018 footage.

Either way, seems there's been a downgrade.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
As desert/snow seem to be two important areas in the game, it will be pretty bad it they remove most particle/dust effects. Let's hope that this was a trailer error or that at least the option is on PC.

I can believe this was X footage with 2018 being PC, that makes sense to me.

Let's see, just a few weeks left.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I can believe this was X footage with 2018 being PC, that makes sense to me.
I can understand that 4K is a big marketing thing nowadays, so "the game runs at 60 fps and keeps native 4k 80% of the time on the X" (I made up the numbers) sounds bigger than "great particle effects", and is a best move to show the X as a powerful machine. As a PC player that will play the game at 1080p, I would prefer to have better details though. But as you said, we will see in a few weeks.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
Will the campaign be 60fps on the base Xbox One?

If not I might consider waiting for Scarlett and play it on there. Gears MP is not my thing anyway, so it would be no real issue waiting a little, hype aside.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ConventionalEveryAgouti-size_restricted.gif

TangibleScientificAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

The effect is completely gone compared to 2018.

Well shit, that's a downgrade if I ever saw one. 60fps was the wrong choice for campaign.
Wow, that pretty damming, i thought something was off, these details really matter for me. Im actually depressed, i hope Coalition can clear this up. I dont expect this from AAA MS studio, especially if they're trying to provide same quality experience as Sony's top SP games. Id happily take 30 fps if it means richer detail. Fingers crossed for a Graphics mode on X.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling; history of similar infractions
DE-FENSE!! DE-FENSE!! DE-FENSE!!

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right? I thought it might be the gif, but watching the trailer and it's the same throughout.

That would be embarrasing for the X. I think they dialed down the effects to accommodate the base console. If this was X/PC only, it might look closer to the 2018 footage.

Either way, seems there's been a downgrade.

I agree about the downgrade, just hoping PC might be able to get closer to the 2018 trailer than my Xbox One S can.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We found our new puddle, ladies and gentlemen.
To be fair its far more than that, there seems to be a downgrade in lighting, physics (see the 2018 skif lifting off the ground as it turns) and of course complete removal or ice being sprayed upwards. But then considering how botched the marketing has been, i wouldn't be surprised if they're demoing the Xbox S version, because it is an outstanding looking S game, if so, I question the wisdom of it as it does do disservice to how great the game can look on X.

Last edited:

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
Question

In the trailer it says, 'what if the blood on your hands runs in your veins, who would you die for?'

We know Kait is a descendent of Myreehah (forgive me for guessing how to spell her name haha) but I thought Myreehah (and again) was a human?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand that 4K is a big marketing thing nowadays, so "the game runs at 60 fps and keeps native 4k 80% of the time on the X" (I made up the numbers) sounds bigger than "great particle effects", and is a best move to show the X as a powerful machine. As a PC player that will play the game at 1080p, I would prefer to have better details though. But as you said, we will see in a few weeks.

I really think the game will shine on PC and Scarlett. X just wasn't the place to do this, but I guess it makes sense to push this now rather than work on a patch/re-release on Scarlett.

We found our new puddle, ladies and gentlemen.

Prine said it better than I could. It's not just one small missing effect.

Wow, that pretty damming, i thought something was off, these details really matter for me. Im actually depressed, i hope Coalition can clear this up. I dont expect this from AAA MS studio, especially if they're trying to provide same quality experience as Sony's top SP games. Id happily take 30 fps if it means richer detail. Fingers crossed for a Graphics mode on X.

Yup, it adds to the immersion. Seeing the Skiff go across the ice/desert with no snow/dust kicking up behind you really takes you out of the experience.

I agree about the downgrade, just hoping PC might be able to get closer to the 2018 trailer than my Xbox One S can.

I fully expect the game to shine on PC. It's probably where we'll get a taste of what the game will look like on Scarlett.

Matemático

Banned
Mar 22, 2019
Brazil
All of them are great, even Judgment, although most people will tell you that Judgment is a disgrace (nope). I just finished my replays of Gears 2 and 3, and while the first time around I had mixed feelings about the third game, this time I was having a blast all the way through. I must have been in a bad mood when I first played it, literally all of the complaints I had back then seem silly to me now.

I just started Gears 4, we'll see if my opinion of it improves as well.

It's the best looking game on Xbox One S, and is almost as pretty as Uncharted 4, and the team's IA is improved alot.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
Game looks sick. Y'all stay stuck on them puddles tho dawg.

Literally don't understand how a game like days gone can get berated by gamers because it didn't get a 9.5 like almost other Sony exclusives and because a woman reviewed it. Then, we get here and the game isn't even out yet and everyone is like WORST GAME EVER LOL BOYCOTT EVERYTHING.

Noobiwan

Dec 17, 2017
Could you all calm down? We know ice dust, wind effect, et cetera are in the game according to the benchmark which was available to PC alpha users. Just wait for the final game in 2 weeks.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
So make a stand and boycott the game and cancel your Game Pass subscription. Gamers are the fucking worst.

Quick!! There's less particles shown in that trailer compared to the previous one! Everyone, see what footage you can find so we can compare the footage. Gamers Assemble!

I like you Bits, but what the fuck? Do you see me rushing to make a thread to troll the game?

Discussing a potential downgrade and missing effects is a perfectly acceptable thing to do on a gaming enthusiast site. Entirely unacceptable response.

Deleted member 56752

Banned
May 15, 2019
I like you Bits, but what the fuck? Do you see me rushing to make a thread to troll the game?

Discussing a potential downgrade and missing effects is a perfectly acceptable thing to do on a gaming enthusiast site. Entirely unacceptable response.
The whole idea of a graphical downgrade is folly. They did you a favor showing you an unfinished piece of the game before it came out. All your perfectly acceptable behavior does is force devs to feel like they have to go quiet for longer

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I like you too :)

But someone is bound to make that thread now if it's not yourself that does it. Now we have female protagonist, marketing and downgrades to talk about until release. Yay.