• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Started and finished the Gears 4 campaign today in co-op with my 13yo. It wasn't bad at all. I expected a lot more of the horde defense stuff due to what some had mentioned. There are only three times in the whole campaign you do it, which didn't feel too overbearing. It did ultimately feel like a prequel to something bigger, though.

Ready for Friday. I have a feeling that Gears 5 is going to be something special.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Holy shit they REALLY wanted to make Kait the protag

BEEG SPOILERS

The whole first act you play as JD and the game just makes him out to be a horrible person, you find out he ordered the killing of protestors and then he fucks up and civilians die again
What a bad take, that doesnt make him a horrible person, you are not seeing ahead from your nose with this.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Quick question so I got my GF an Xbox One. If I get Game Pass on mine should I setup her system as a sub account so we can share the library? What would you guys do?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Started and finished the Gears 4 campaign today in co-op with my 13yo. It wasn't bad at all. I expected a lot more of the horde defense stuff due to what some had mentioned. There are only three times in the whole campaign you do it, which didn't feel too overbearing. It did ultimately feel like a prequel to something bigger, though.

Ready for Friday. I have a feeling that Gears 5 is going to be something special.

https://gearsofwar.com/en-us/road-to-gears-5 log in here btw, you might unlock some costumes?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Quick question so I got my GF an Xbox One. If I get Game Pass on mine should I setup her system as a sub account so we can share the library? What would you guys do?
Your account should be a primary account in her X1 and just use your account but don't make it your primary account (Main) in your X1

then you Can access your library from the two devices

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
Holy crap, I did not expect this praise from the previews. Now I have to at least try this thing on gamepass with my friend.

How likely will they stick the landing on this one? I've only played Gears 1 so I dunno how their game endings usually go.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
i think it's will be between 88 or 89

I'm definitely feeling above 90 with the whole package here. A campaign getting extremely positive previews, two very fleshed out co-op modes with what looks like great progression, user-generated content for one of those co-op modes, and tried & true adversarial MP.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I'm definitely feeling above 90 with the whole package here. A campaign getting extremely positive previews, two very fleshed out co-op modes with what looks like great progression, user-generated content for one of those co-op modes, and tried & true adversarial MP.
i well i really hope it get 90 really....Gears is one of my favorite games...

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Moment of truth for Xbox if they can get a 90+ game that isn't Forza this gen

So from the spoiler thread, which I am doing my best to avoid, someone posted a 11 minute relatively spoiler free (except the end, I'd say) gameplay segment of mostly combat and it is really next level Gears. I couldn't believe what I saw. It looks fantastic. It should at least get a 90 if the quality of that holds up and it appeared to be very early in the game.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
I'll be shocked if the game gets a 90 or above. I saw the 11 minute video and it looks superb but for a fifth, technically sixth, game in the franchise this deep, you need a reboot level of evolution like God of War to win unanimous praise from the critics. This will review better than 4 and that in itself would be pretty awesome to see.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
So from the spoiler thread, which I am doing my best to avoid, someone posted a 11 minute relatively spoiler free (except the end, I'd say) gameplay segment of mostly combat and it is really next level Gears. I couldn't believe what I saw. It looks fantastic. It should at least get a 90 if the quality of that holds up and it appeared to be very early in the game.
From everything I've seen from the campaign and the MP, I think 90 is guaranteed. I think the real question is how high into the 90s will it be? Is there another game on the market with the breadth of quality content that Gears 5 has?

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'll be shocked if the game gets a 90 or above. I saw the 11 minute video and it looks superb but for a fifth, technically sixth, game in the franchise this deep, you need a reboot level of evolution like God of War to win unanimous praise from the critics. This will review better than 4 and that in itself would be pretty awesome to see.
I really hates the god of war reboots combat system. They made the combat spongey and locked basic moves behind 60-90second cool downs.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
From everything I've seen from the campaign and the MP, I think 90 is guaranteed. I think the real question is how high into the 90s will it be? Is there another game on the market with the breadth of quality content that Gears 5 has?

I don't think there is.

It even has a battlepass that's free. That's a perfect multiplayer progression system.

I think it could average 95. That campaign footage was ND level quality with the smooth gameplay of Gears.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there is.

It even has a battlepass that's free. That's a perfect multiplayer progression system.

I think it could average 95. That campaign footage was ND level quality with the smooth gameplay of Gears.

If Gears 5 gets a 95 Metacritic, that will be the most shocking thing I have seen all gen. I highly doubt it, but would be pretty incredible.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
If Gears 5 gets a 95 Metacritic, that will be the most shocking thing I have seen all gen. I highly doubt it, but would be pretty incredible.

Realistically, it probably won't happen, but it really all depends on the campaign quality and if it keeps it up. If Gears 5 can manage an excellent campaign that is truly 12-20 hours with variety in its gameplay along with the excellent multiplayer suite it already has then I can see it getting that 95 meta.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to guess, I would say 88 on the low end and 92 on the high end. I will be shocked if it scores lower than Gears 4. This game seems like a big improvement in almost every way.

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question so I got my GF an Xbox One.

Whoa, is this the same xbox you mentioned buying for a friend before, or is this an additional Xbox?

The way I have my wife and I's Xboxes setup is her Xbox is my profiles(with Gamepass etc) home console. And then I just have to be connected online on my Xbox to play everything.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Make her Xbox your home console, make your Xbox her home console. She'll be able to play all your games. The only thing is you need to be logged in all the time on your machine to able to access your games. So if you go offline you can't play your digital purchases. The other good news is you can even play online together with a single copy of the game. At least that was the case a few years ago when I last tried it.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
The other good news is you can even play online together with a single copy of the game. At least that was the case a few years ago when I last tried it.
That still is the case. The account that bought it can even play on PC while the other Home console Xbox can be playing the game at the same time.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If it hits 90 it's a huge get for ms. I'm surprised at how hyped I am. Give me a really great feeling third person gears shooter and I'm the cat that got the cream.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
My opinion: If the Campaign turns out to be great, add all of the Multiplayer stuff to that like Escape, Versus and Horde, why shouldn't this score high as fu**? This is much more stuff than other games have to offer.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To everyone saying they foresee a 95+ meta...are y'all for real? I think 87-89 could be in play and that should be considered a big win for The Coalition and Microsoft if it comes to pass.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at how hyped I am.

Same. I really enjoyed Gears 1-3, but after that I was kinda burnt out on the TPS/Cover shooter genre. Just too many good and bad games with similar mechanics. Uncharted, Mass Effect, Dark Sector, Army of Two, etc.

Because of that I couldn't get into Judgement or Gears 4.

I booted up Gears 4 last month to unlock some skins for Gears 5 and I was surprised how much fun I had. With that + all the improvements Coalition has made, I'm definitely hyped for this game.

Hopefully others feel the same way and the game can hit 90 across the board on metacritic.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California

We've been doubting Rod way too damn much. Man about to deliver perfection.

rsz_bxwwlz0_1.png

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...Gears 5 looks like a ND joint at this point. I've been watching the first 1 hour or so.

Cinematics and story look top notch. Dialog is alot better and the more personal story direction is amazing.

I say it's gonna be a 90+ metacritic and the first killer ap for Xbox in a while. God of War 2018 but for Gears. Amazing.