• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 26, 2019
Not saying it's fishy, but it is or was weird seeing mostly tweets etc as previews in the OP. There's articles from a few fairly big sites, but you're right none of the major sites have posted anything as far as I know. Are they being held to a different embargo or something?
They'd literally be dropping their previews the day before the review embargo lifts lol

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Bigger outlets are probably waiting for the footage embargo to lift so they can publish video previews along with their written ones

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bigger outlets are probably waiting for the footage embargo to lift so they can publish video previews along with their written ones

That would make sense. A preview without any actual footage would be a bit weird.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So was Gears of War: Ascendance, book set between Gears 4 and 5 any good?

Does it cover anything that won't be covered in Gears 5?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

The people who have read it seem to be very positive on it. But I don't know what standards those weirdos have ;)

And yea, I was just gonna say Gamespot was one of the first, so it's not like a different embargo. Probably just a choice they're making. Maybe they all know video is where the traffic is gonna be, so they won't bother (but that seems weird..)

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017

I've read it (just finished yesterday) and yeah it's pretty good. I would recommend reading it if you're into the Gears 4 story. We have no idea what 5 covers yet, it may have little nods but I doubt it'll be anything major.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I knew this game was special the minute i saw the initial game play trailer.

Looks like the dev has put in a lot of effort into it

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it still worth reading before playing Gears 5 next week?
It explains the state of Sera and what's going on at the start of Gears 5; it also explains some more on Kait and what she's going through.

YMMV but I'd say so yeah. There's a second book on the way that's supposedly gonna go heavy on the lore and the Cog.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of folks taking victory laps over these previews, it looks good but I'm still skeptical that the open world will actually translate to a better game. By all accounts the open worlds are apparently pretty barren and just serve as a pointless hub in between missions with the saving grace seemingly being how enjoyable the skiff is to drive.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of folks taking victory laps over these previews, it looks good but I'm still skeptical that the open world will actually translate to a better game. By all accounts the open worlds are apparently pretty barren and just serve as a pointless hub in between missions with the saving grace seemingly being how enjoyable the skiff is to drive.
Sort of like God of Wars world then. Sounds good

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018

Let's put some stock with folks that have actually played it?

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not saying it's fishy, but it is or was weird seeing mostly tweets, smaller site links etc as previews in the OP. There's articles from a few fairly big sites, but you're right none of the major sites have posted anything as far as I know. Are they being held to a different embargo or something?
What are you saying? These are the only ones that are live? Edit: I see what you mean.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018
It's possible those sites decided it wasn't worth sending someone to the preview for the game they're probably already reviewing.

Seems like a pretty good mix of big and small sites writing overwhelmingly positive pieces.

Rod's unconventional marketing is working on me, I'm super hyped for next weekend

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Not saying it's fishy, but it is or was weird seeing mostly tweets, smaller site links etc as previews in the OP. There's articles from a few fairly big sites, but you're right none of the major sites have posted anything as far as I know. Are they being held to a different embargo or something?
Review codes this week. Many probably didn't think it worth it to fly out for this.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
not suprised that previews say it breathes some fresh air into the series and is somewhat of a shake up...after you know The Coalition has been saying it was going to for a long long time. and yet people doubted!

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Glad to see the reactions have generally been positive so far, but still very disappointed by their marketing approach this time around as the game is barely getting any recognition despite doing so many things right. Here's hoping when the review scores come in and footage is more prevalent that things turn around for the better

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like we have a MS GotY contender coming in hot.

This would be MS best chance to take it too.
Don't go there, there is only disappointment waiting in that direction. Days Gone will probably end up above it even if Gears would become a 90+ meta game. :P

But if it did happen it would certainly be something, I would so be rooting for them if they actually started climbing the GOTY lists! Gears is a great IP, it has just had a hard time getting things right through a whole game. I'm really happy to hear the positive words now, seems like they've focused on what people love about Gears and still managed to add stuff that improves the experience.

Preload is done on both the X and PC!

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
So they're just skipping the previews and jumping straight to the reviews?
Honestly at this point if they invited me to come play the campaign to write a preview a week prior to release I would pass on it too. Reviews go up in like another 4-5 days. There is really no point in taking time to do a preview of it at this point.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I mean smaller sites have the most to gain from this versus bigger ones so them going/posting makes sense. If MS excluded big publishers it would have leaked by now, it's also not like bigger sites are necessarily more critical, especially for previews.

UnInvincible

Aug 30, 2019
Played through all of Gears 4 last Sunday because I'm weirdly excited for 5's campaign even though I never played the original trilogy. Mostly enjoyed it despite its pretty abrupt ending and rather short length. I'm so pleasantly surprised to see this much praise in the previews, even more excited to check it out now. Already pretty satisfied with my GamePass for PC investment.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that's just plain wrong. It's In the top 5 for the best games ever for me. I've plaged through it 3 times by now, loved it every time, did a 100% run on DE before E3 and it's still awesome. I hope Switch owners don't pass on it because unless Nintendo makes a new AAA 2D Metroid they won't get anything better.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Getting the feeling this is gonna be something real special....hope they knock it out of the park!

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Wow the previews are glowing, I can't wait for this to release. Think I'm going to hit Horde mode first and play that until our renovations are done, when we get the new TV in I'll smash campaign on that!

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Wow the previews are glowing, I can't wait for this to release. Think I'm going to hit Horde mode first and play that until our renovations are done, when we get the new TV in I'll smash campaign on that!
Campaign day 1 for me! I think I'll start on the Xbox One X to see if the graphics and performance is good enough before jumping in on the PC version, I'm thinking that if the X version is good enough I'll just play through it there for the couch and hometheater sound reason.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
So they're just skipping the previews and jumping straight to the reviews?

The game is out in less than a week for GPU subscribers, why bother with previews, especially when those previews have a ridiculous footage embargo attached?

I've never seen a game's marketing bungled so badly in my life. Even if they didn't want to go with a normal marketing, fine, but to still be pulling footage embargo bullshit literally days before release?

Sigh.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
It's funny how we might actually have the best Gears ever coming in a little over a week, yet the buzz is somehow less than when Judgement came out lmao
Word of mouth will do wonders esp thanks to gamepass im sure, but still fucking bizarre, even as a Gears fan I am kinda finding it hard to believe its so close.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny how we might actually have the best Gears ever coming in a little over a week, yet the buzz is somehow less than when Judgement came out lmao
Word of mouth will do wonders esp thanks to gamepass im sure, but still fucking bizarre, even as a Gears fan I am kinda finding it hard to believe its so close.

I had a friend ask me why the new Gears was multiplayer only recently.

That's how badly they've fucked up. There are people out there who don't follow gaming very closely thinking Gears has gone MP only, and why wouldn't they?

They've gone out of their way to hide the campaign and when they do finally reveal it, there's more bullshit attached to making sure people can't see it.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
They definitely got inspired by God of War.
13f48b42d95948599dfe78208fd583e1_1567239338028.jpg