• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
The game was announced to be 4k/60fps at E3 2018 so technically the game was still downgraded. I hope people don't think I'm concern trolling Gears because I made the same complaints about Death Stranding being downgraded. I'm just abit disappointed is all.

It's not gameplay man... Like please, be serious here. How is that gif you linked, in any way or form, gameplay? It's clearly a cutscene. Like friggen hell.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
3 player splitscreen

Gears2.jpg
Nice. Far too few games include split screen nowadays...
Gears 5 was definitely downgraded from its E3 2018 showing which is a shame because it looked incredible at the time. Final game looks nice but still.....

First of all, cutscene Vs gameplay.

Secondly, the snow/ice spray doesn't even make any sense. A board sliding over the top of snow/ice doesn't kick up a spray behind it...

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Welp, I'm sold. Finally converted my subscription to Ultimate. Can't wait, the original Gears was the reason I bought a 360.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The game was announced to be 4k/60fps at E3 2018 so technically the game was still downgraded. I hope people don't think I'm concern trolling Gears because I made the same complaints about Death Stranding being downgraded. I'm just abit disappointed is all.
Are you just going to ignore my request, then?

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
I haven't been able to read reviews yet but can someone answer this question for me?

Is this game going to be entirely open world or is the area with the vehicle simply the hub? I'd prefer a more linear game personally but I'm interested in how an open world Gears will work.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been able to read reviews yet but can someone answer this question for me?

Is this game going to be entirely open world or is the area with the vehicle simply the hub? I'd prefer a more linear game personally but I'm interested in how an open world Gears will work.
Hubs with optional missions and linear story.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
My recent completed play through of Gears 1 through 4 and these previews has me heading out today to buy that Gears Resistance book that released at the end of July and tells the story between Gears 4 and 5 :)

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
This game is going to be a visual tour de france

This is my first I'm hearing about that gif being a cutscene lol. We've had a year of people sharing that gif as representative of gameplay and now all of sudden it's cutscene. Okay, how do we explain this then?

SandyFarJackal-size_restricted.gif

ElaborateHardtofindBirdofparadise-size_restricted.gif

Materials and lighting are better in the E3 trailer.

You're not even showing the same scene lol oh boy You can see the skiff gameplay has a storm causing lighting to be different etc come on now

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first I'm hearing about that gif being a cutscene lol. We've had a year of people sharing that gif as representative of gameplay and now all of sudden it's cutscene. Okay, how do we explain this then?

I'm with you on some changes were made, but this isn't a fair comparison. We don't know what that scene from the first gif will look like in game yet.

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
People complaining they won't show the campaign and people complaining about downgrades comparing the tiny bit we saw to what we have now. It's a wonder why they haven't shown us large bits until now.

Anyways, hyped as fuck for this. While I think order of what they showed at e3/Gamescom should have been reversed, I rather like the marketing the more I think about it. Instead of having frontloaded hype during massive info drops a year out, we've gotten focused info drops over the last 3 months. Has kept hype growing, and peaking at release.

Can't wait to explore Sera!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
never played gears before. can i start with gears 5?

I think you'll be okay. Watch 2 or so summary videos on YouTube for the Gears franchise. Watch a Gears 4 summary video then because that's more important. And there's probably a good chance Gears 5 will have a recap video (don't quote me on this tho).

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

The desert and icy lake areas are hubs, you can explore them with the Skiff. You'll use the Skiff to complete side quests, looks for relic weapons and to go to the main campaign waypoints. I think it was mentioned that the Skiff will be used in the campaign too and as it has weapons, it's safe to assume there's be some Skiff based campaign missions in the hub areas, but the story is linear and the side content is all optional.

Oct 25, 2017

No even the same scene/place.
giphy.gif

Ppl can't even try anymore...
What a shame

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not seeing the downgrade...?
That's because if there is one, it's not discernible yet. The person posting cutscenes to gameplay clips isn't being honest, or just isn't getting it. Nothing to see here yet. DF will sort it out. Game looks gorgeous no matter what to me.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
My recent completed play through of Gears 1 through 4 and these previews has me heading out today to buy that Gears Resistance book that released at the end of July and tells the story between Gears 4 and 5 :)

Ascendance :) It's pretty good! I'm coming up on the end of it now. The word "friend" is very overused though :'D

Oneandonly16

Mar 11, 2019
Hubs with optional missions and linear story.
The desert and icy lake areas are hubs, you can explore them with the Skiff. You'll use the Skiff to complete side quests, looks for relic weapons and to go to the main campaign waypoints. I think it was mentioned that the Skiff will be used in the campaign too and as it has weapons, it's safe to assume there's be some Skiff based campaign missions in the hub areas, but the story is linear and the side content is all optional.

Thank you both. I'm in Game Pass Day 1.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Flipping through these previews, this is sounding excellent. I have the pre-load up on my laptop and 1X, and I'm looking forward to co-op. The design mix-ups sound both exciting and also necessary. I think the current problem with some otherwise solid action games is the reliance on too many strung-together arenas, instead of more deliberate pacing shifts over the course of the game in (and around) those sections. That was my fear for Gears 5, when they fist announced it. This is reassuring.

Edit: Oh dear, no. I really don't want to have to sit through conversations where someone needs it explained to them how a bright scene lit by diffuse sources will look different from contrasting directional lighting.

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Now that I've got PC gamepass, this sounds really freaking awesome.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Providing I survive next weeks hurricane I can't wait to play Gears 5, everything looks amazing!

Hope they've sorted the Omen issue

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Think it safe to say the OG xbox one uses the same techniques as the X. 1080p dynamic and "upped" with temporal reconstruction when it happen.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

You absolutely are trolling at this point, a super linear indoor scene vs a massive open area.... like come the fuck on. This also isn't the first time your hearing that scene is a cutscene, you were in the Gamescom E3 trailer thread were it was shot down.