• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it you that posted about the downgrades from 2018 video to this year's video?

I pointed out some potentially missing effects, which were very noticeable when compared side by side. I didn't scream downgrade and start a crusade because it still looks incredible. Anyway, I've started to come round to the fact that the red tinted location we see in this years trailer might be different to the red sandy location we saw in 2018.

Hell, maybe it's the same but it changes with the weather so it goes from sandy to soggy because of the storms, now that would be pretty damn cool.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, dude. Pull up a chair...

Rod mentioned not long after E3 that games marketed too early usually didn't do too well within the gaming community due to perhaps downgrades, whathaveyou..

So him holding on to the campaign until the last minute and releasing footage thats much closer to the actual game is probably his agenda here to release in this current window. The closer Gears is to the actual release when reviews start opening up, the better chance of success when its released. Just seems like a more untainted way to release the game and allow it to shine the way its meant to -- to me at least. Hence, a better review. Makes sense to me.

I gotta go now. Finish your sandwich.

They don't base their marketing on how to score higher reviews from critics. Critic reviews are based on the final product that they play. Marketing targets consumers. So your comment that good reviews will mean that the marketing strategy was a success is totally bizarre and not accurate.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing has been terrible for this game, but seeing as it is a game pass centric release I wonder if they plan to market the game AFTER it is out. What do Day 1 sales matter anyway when they don't want people to buy the game and sub to gamepass anyway?

I can't wait for it either. I been replaying all the gears including judgement and have been having a blast. It's really a well handled franchise (judgement aside).

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
They don't base their marketing on how to score higher reviews from critics. Marketing is targeted to consumers. So your comment that good reviews will mean that the marketing strategy was a success is totally bizarre and not accurate.
That's your take. Have at it.

But Rods comment on why he decided to do it this way made sense to me. You don't have to agree.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Marketing has been terrible for this game, but seeing as it is a game pass centric release I wonder if they plan to market the game AFTER it is out. What do Day 1 sales matter anyway when they don't want people to buy the game and sub to gamepass anyway?

I can't wait for it either. I been replaying all the gears including judgement and have been having a blast. It's really a well handled franchise (judgement aside).

I doubt they'll do the same with Halo. That'll be marketed the high heavens.

What a shame for Gears, to go from tentpole release that would dominate the charts and have amazing marketing campaigns to GP footnote.

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
yeah i'm not really convinced for now, also in september there is a shitload of stuff that i want to play...
but i can change idea really fast if i see even a single elements of interest from campaign trailers.

Still, it seems like you're only interested in the campaign. Save yourself $40+ for a game you're hyped for, and just grab gamepass that's always on sale or full price $10. Then you could play the campaign, and bail at any time. I just struggle to see why someone on the fence/disinterested with game who would possibly only play a single mode would buy it. This is kinda why people think concern trolling is happening.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's your take. Have at it.

But Rods comment on why he decided to do it this way made sense to me. You don't have to agree.

It's not about opinions though. You are fundamentally not understanding the difference between marketing strategies and reviews of a finished game from critics. I edited my other post as well to further explain. Rod is clearly talking about their strategy in terms of how consumers perceive the game - not critics reviewing the end product. So how critics review the game says NOTHING about the success of their marketing strategy. At all.

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
What a shame for Gears, to go from tentpole release that would dominate the charts and have amazing marketing campaigns to GP footnote.

Almost everyday now we've been getting more Gears 5 news. Trailers airing on tv/twitch. Cross marketing with cookies and energy drinks. Constantly on Xbox dashboard/store. While I agree that the order of reveals has been weird and it hasn't had a year long buildup, I do not agree it's had a lack of marketing, especially since the Tech Test launched late July.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
EDAFFh6UUAApJii

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
he plethora of multiplayer modes as well as their laser sharp focus on them suggests they want constant player engagement, a single player campaign won't give them that, so why not leave that to the last possible minute. Better to showcase what's most important in depth and leave the rest until the last possible minute.

Yeah, the microtransaction filled service modes have gotten plenty of exposure. It's not that they're not showing the game, it's that the marketing is so singularly focused on the service modes that's annoying. Gears used to be the other way around, with campaign given huge exposure much earlier on. Those of us that are there for that, are feeling left out.

It's quite clear where their marketing focus is.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I live in tier 2. To be fair i never see ads for games here. Outside some stuff on TV or if you go to certain media stores.

Ah, that's a shame. I usually see some whenever I'm in/around London, but I haven't seen any for Gears but quite a few for Control.

Almost everyday now we've been getting more Gears 5 news. Trailers airing on tv/twitch. Cross marketing with cookies and energy drinks. Constantly on Xbox dashboard/store. While I agree that the order of reveals has been weird and it hasn't had a year long buildup, I do not agree it's had a lack of marketing, especially since the Tech Test launched late July.

Cookies and energy drinks are the bare minimum in terms of marketing, but fair enough. It's something at least.

I just hate to see a franchise I love so much be treated in the way it is.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see snow being kicked up. Downgrade confirmed!!!!!

But seriously...FUCKING YES!! So happy to see this.

Yeah, the microtransaction filled service modes have gotten plenty of exposure. It's not that they're not showing the game, it's that the marketing is so singularly focused on the service modes that's annoying. Gears used to be the other way around, with campaign given huge exposure much earlier on.

Yup. I still remember those amazing demos for the past Gears games.

I used to get so damn hyped after each one. I'd watch them constantly until I bought the game.

Feb 10, 2018
Sure, but that doesn't mean I won't continue to complain about how badly the game has been marketed.

It's a valid complaint. It doesn't matter if the game is launching on GP, it doesn't matter if they don't care about sales anymore, they should at least show some respect to their IP instead of just dumping it on GP.

Don't worry everyone is completely aware of your concerns, by now.
And for the record they are not just "dumping it on gamepass" they have shown 2 campaign gameplay trailers and extensive gameplay of other modes.

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the microtransaction filled service modes have gotten plenty of exposure. It's not that they're not showing the game, it's that the marketing is so singularly focused on the service modes that's annoying. Gears used to be the other way around, with campaign given huge exposure much earlier on. Those of us that are there for that, are feeling left out.

I can't remember where I heard or read it, but I feel like either Rod or someone at TC said they felt they showed too much of Gears 4. And I feel like since maybe Gears 3, they've heavily shown the versus. Maybe even gears 2 with Horde mode. I remember watching a ton of streams with Rod and CliffyB revealing skins and such on twitch. Campaign gameplay is coming, or at least previews are. Does it really matter if it's 4 months before launch or a week? Would you rather get hyped at e3, and have hype dwindle as you wait for launch, or a week from launch hype be at a high?

Ah, that's a shame. I usually see some whenever I'm in/around London, but I haven't seen any for Gears but quite a few for Control.

Cookies and energy drinks are the bare minimum in terms of marketing, but fair enough. It's something at least.

I just hate to see a franchise I love so much be treated in the way it is.

Sadly have never had those kind of ads in my city. The only game ads here are game store window clings really.

I'm also not sure what you're looking for in advertising. Gears 4 had Rockstar and Totinos. Gears 3 had dev twitch streams which Gears 5 also has had. Besides showing a bunch of the campaign, what hasn't Gears 5 had?

Last edited:

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry everyone is completely aware of your concerns, by now.
And for the record they are not just "dumping it on gamepass" they have shown 2 campaign gameplay trailers and extensive gameplay of other modes.

Two cinematic trailers with fast cuts of gameplay. To claim they were campaign gameplay trailer is disingenuous. Compare the two trailers to the trailers for past Gears titles.

Feb 10, 2018

Your hyperbole is halarious. Listening to you, people would think gears 5 has had zero marketing.

Feb 10, 2018
Two cinematic trailers with fast cuts of gameplay. To claim they were campaign gameplay trailer is disingenuous. Compare the two trailers to the trailers for past Gears titles.

No its not, that's exactly what they are, since when do trailers last longer then a few minutes, it would be disingenuous to say they have "campaign gameplay footage".
And trailers have always been edited fast cuts of gameplay.

How else would you describe the 2 trailers?

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017

Halo is a very different type of game. It's more of an icon for the platform, and more family friendly. It's new more approachable and "friendly" art style is a huge shift or drawing old fans back with something that is recognizably Halo to get them to at least check it out, and it's friendly enough that like Fortnite it won't alienate anyone for being this hardcore shooter.

Gears has it's niche with being an ultra violent cover shooter and it's fanbase. A lot of what we see in Gears 5 is focused around accessibility and making sure people that try it don't put it down shortly thereafter due to frustration with it. It's also fundamentally "unfriendly" to pockets of audiences, given it's language and extreme gore. It'll never appeal to 13 year old timmy's mom as appropriate to play in the living room (I hope). Gears also has some huge followings in places like Mexico and South America, where the markets and demographics I imagine are a bit different than what we have in the US. Gears 4 is still like the #3 most played game in Mexico, with I think Fornite and GTA above it.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
Halo is a very different type of game. It's more of an icon for the platform, and more family friendly. It's new more approachable and "friendly" art style is a huge shift or drawing old fans back with something that is recognizably Halo to get them to at least check it out, and it's friendly enough that like Fortnite it won't alienate anyone for being this hardcore shooter.

Gears has it's niche with being an ultra violent cover shooter and it's fanbase. A lot of what we see in Gears 5 is focused around accessibility and making sure people that try it don't put it down shortly thereafter due to frustration with it. It's also fundamentally "unfriendly" to pockets of audiences, given it's language and extreme gore. It'll never appeal to 13 year old timmy's mom as appropriate to play in the living room (I hope). Gears also has some huge followings in places like Mexico and South America, where the markets and demographics I imagine are a bit different than what we have in the US. Gears 4 is still like the #3 most played game in Mexico, with I think Fornite and GTA above it.
Last time I checked it was actually #2, just beneath Fortnite and above Apex Legends. It's crazy popular. Gears 3 is still among the 25 most played games all these years later. Gears 5 will do fine sales-wise just with their Mexican audience, lol.

Feb 10, 2018
I like gameplay footage showing new stuff, however it's refreshing going into a campaign without having seen much of it.

There are pros and cons to either approach.

For example we have seen rather extensive gameplay of TLOU2, it was great, but if they did gameplay trailers like gears 5 has done I would still be hyped because I know what to expect from the dev and franchise.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Still, it seems like you're only interested in the campaign. Save yourself $40+ for a game you're hyped for, and just grab gamepass that's always on sale or full price $10. Then you could play the campaign, and bail at any time. I just struggle to see why someone on the fence/disinterested with game who would possibly only play a single mode would buy it. This is kinda why people think concern trolling is happening.
i like to buy\possess my games and i usually don't use game pass and similar things, that's probably why people don't understand my struggle, i don't know...
let's just discuss about the game from now on shall we?

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
Kind of wish we got a campaign gameplay trailer sooner. Not because I need one, but so all this crying and whining in Gears 5 threads can stop already.

Thanks for posting that ultrawide pic, fanned some of the flames in here.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Last time I checked it was actually #2, just beneath Fortnite and above Apex Legends. It's crazy popular. Gears 3 is still among the 25 most played games all these years later. Gears 5 will do fine sales-wise just with their Mexican audience, lol.
Oh I am not doubting it will, just that they have different goals with marketing it than Halo as the audiences are pretty different, even if they do cross over at points.

Jun 14, 2019
that picture looks crazy silly when you have that keyboard and mouse just sitting there like that lmao

showing of a very elite type monitor/resoulostion and uses controller :D

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
People saying the marketing is abysmal but they have you here talking about the game and anticipating it. Heh

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
I'm curious if the game has a metro exodus style where there are mini open world hubs that you can freely explore and once you're done you move on to the next area
i would like if it's like Metro exodus..it will be great

Ok, now this is a massive change from Gears formula, real excited as this is a sign of them trying to change things up!!! HYPE!!
yeah it will be a massive Change and if it's true then i really like it

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm curious if the game has a metro exodus style where there are mini open world hubs that you can freely explore and once you're done you move on to the next area

this being the case would explain their plan to promote the campaign makes more sense,

if you showed the open world gameplay as a shiny new thing and people though that would be the case for most of the game and it is like you say, the risk of people calling the game being misrepresented because of the trailers or preview videos would be inmense

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
They just drowned people on multiplayer footage instead. There are ways to show off your game without spoiling it or showing too much.

Because the campaign is all I'm interested in. I don't care about Escape, Horde or Vs. I barely have enough time to sit down and play through campaigns, why would I care about modes that require regular play to be fully enjoyed?
In all honesty I had the same opinion but with how big gears actually is I understand why they did piece by piece. The tech test was a giant preview in itself especially with arcade mode. Pvp in general got to much attention tbh but the esports showing they did was also really entertaining, I wasn't even aware gears esports was that fun to watch until all that footage was shown.

I'm with you on the campaign part but I'm pretty satisfied with the Gamescom trailer they showed but that realllllly should've been the E3 trailer on TOP of escape gameplay and all that. But having it close to launch got a lot of people talking about gears with it releasing only a few weeks after said talk, THEN there having a campaign blowout 2 weeks or so before release to keep that hype train going.

It's weird to see a dev hype there game up so close to release but I'm not gonna sit here and say it's not working, people are talking at least now. Will see if this new flash marketing strategy near release works out soon enough though.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Love gears as a franchise, with the exception of gears 2 there's seemingly less hype with every subsequent sequal. Crazy to think it used to be on the level of Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.