• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
*Bites tongue*

**Bites tonger harder**

Must resist complaining about how bad the marketing has been.

Must resist...

I don't want to seem hyperbolic, but I feel like they've done a disservice to the game and all of the work that has gone into it. Be interested to see how well it sells, and whether Microsoft ever attempt this sort of marketing again.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
60fps is something you can never go back on.

Can't go back on Halo.

Won't go back on Gears.

Won't go back on Forza. I really appreciate how MS have pushed 60fps in all of their big franchises this generation. Maybe it's meant that screenshots and gifs of their big games don't look quite as good. But actually playing them all in solid 60fps has been marvellous. Excited that Gears has gone fully this direction.

Now we just need a Sea of Thieves patch šŸ‘šŸ»

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I don't want to seem hyperbolic, but I feel like they've done a disservice to the game and all of the work that has gone into it. Be interested to see how well it sells, and whether Microsoft ever attempt this sort of marketing again.
Launch day (or even post-launch) sales numbers aren't a focus for Microsoft anymore, which is likely why their marketing has changed so much recently. It's all about increasing Game Pass subscribers now, and that doesn't rely on pre-orders and launch day numbers. They wouldn't be leaving the campaign reveal so late if pre-orders were the focus like they used to be.

That said, I agree the marketing has been a mess. But 'how well it sells' will be secondary to 'how many more Game Pass subscribers' as far as Microsoft is concerned. As we know from Matt, they are literally acquiring studios purely with Game Pass in mind, not software sales.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

I think a positive buzz and selling gamepass subscriptions will drive more excitement for the game. If the game is amazing the marketing won't matter as much, that's when word of mouth steps in and drives the excitement.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
why on Scarlett? you can do that on a PC next week.

PC goes without saying, but for people who play on consoles it's probably going to be a nice upgrade over the already great looking Xbox One version.

Anyway, this looks promising, all the ice shenanigans will probably be a lot of fun. I finished my replays of the previous Gears campaigns yesterday, and I'm freshly reminded of just how engaging those games can be. When it comes to cover shooters, they really set a high bar (here's hoping for no frustrating horde sequences in the campaign, though). I don't need to see anything else, just activate that preload already.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap I just noticed I have this as part of game pass ultimate. Wow!

Not only that, you have the Ā£70 Ultimate Edition with Game Pass Ultimate. So early access to it (starts next Friday) and a load of downloadable extras at launch (Halo Reach and Terminator skins, boosters)

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
On a side note. I was so excited about the positive previews I needed more forum posts to read.

I made the mistake of heading back to the old place.

Yikes.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Launch day (or even post-launch) sales numbers aren't a focus for Microsoft anymore, which is likely why their marketing has changed so much recently. It's all about increasing Game Pass subscribers now, and that doesn't rely on pre-orders and launch day numbers. They wouldn't be leaving the campaign reveal so late if pre-orders were the focus like they used to be.

That said, I agree the marketing has been a mess. But 'how well it sells' will be secondary to 'how many more Game Pass subscribers' as far as Microsoft is concerned. As we know from Matt, they are literally acquiring studios purely with Game Pass in mind, not software sales.

That would be a silly stance for Microsoft to take, given the more day one sales there are, the more revenue there would be for Microsoft, and the more visibility there would be on the game, greatly increasing both future sales, microtransactions revenue, Game Pass subscriptions, online streaming coverage etc. There's really no good reason at all Microsoft shouldn't want as many day one players as humanly possible, unless they want less success and less money or something, which I highly doubt.

I think some on this forum have wrongly seperated marketing that drives sales, to marketing that drives Game Pass subscriptions. It's the same marketing that does both. The more interest there is in the game, the better the marketing, gameplay reveals, trailers, adverts, previews, reviews etc, the more copies the game and Game Pass subscriptions it sells. A failure in marketing negatively impacts both, not just one and not the other.

It isn't even like showing a vertical slice of gameplay at E3 would have cost them any more money either. Infact, it'd probably have been cheaper than commissioning the CG trailers they showed off.

Last edited:

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That would be a silly stance for Microsoft to take, given the more day one sales there are, the more revenue there would be for Microsoft, and the more visibility there would be on the game, greatly increasing both future sales, microtransactions revenue, Game Pass subscriptions, online streaming coverage etc. There's really no good reason at all Microsoft shouldn't want as many day one players as humanly possible, unless they want less success and less money or something, which I highly doubt.

It isn't even like showing a vertical slice of gameplay at E3 would have cost them any more money either. Infact, it'd probably have been cheaper than commissioning the CG trailers they showed off.

It's out in a week, people will be able to play it for like a Ā£1 I'm sure it will do well.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

It's not hyperbolic at all, the marketing has been dreadful and MS needs to realise that even with Gamepas, they still need to advertise their games. Not everyone has GPU, not everyone cares about GPU, the majority still buy their games and MS needs to focus on those people first and foremost and show them why they should be interested in this game.

Some will argue that its coming to GPU means they don't have to focus on marketing and can let WoM and GPU excitement help spread the word, but that pales in comparison to what a good marketing campaign can do. Hell, market the game as coming to GPU to push subs, but do something to showcase the damn thing, especially when it's introducing so many new features and taking the series in a new direction.

This needed to be front and centre at every games event, it needs ads running some clips from the campaign at GPU branding. It needs something, anything. A lot of people might end up sleeping on this Gears because all they saw was the multiplayer and it's going to break my heart.

MS marketing on the whole has been awful this entire generation, they just left Blair Witch to die on GP. Barely any marketing to highlight it's coming to GP today and they signed a pretty big deal to secure the exclusive launch rights if I'm not mistaken. MS needs to address this and soon, it's sad how far they've fallen when it comes to marketing.

*Goes back to biting tongue*

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Marketing has been great for this games. Everyone's expectations have been greatly surpassed and hype is at max levels just in time for release. Rod was really smart to handle the marketing the way he did. This game is going to do insane numbers on Game Pass, and that'll drive sales from people who don't have/want the service.

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
GI is completely gone, plus they changed the art direction from realistic. what a downgraded mess.

I was looking forward to this game (metro, control, and gears 5 were the game i was getting for 2019) looks like i'm not touching this one

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This. MS has said a few times that Gamepass raises a game's visibility by an astounding rate. Perhaps simply putting a game on the service is worth more than millions spent on traditional advertising.

It's actually pretty clever. Think of the marketing budget for Days Gone (another exclusive). do we have figures for that? it must have been 10s of millions right? It was every where on every social media network from january 2019 until launch. Potentially this approach may save millions in marketing and allow them to reinvest that money into gamespass?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
GI is completely gone, plus they changed the art direction from realistic. what a downgraded mess.

looks like i'm not touching this one
source.gif

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I k oa
Not watching, it's too close to release. I'm here for the hype lol

Same here. Yeah I know I've been saying I wanted campaign footage, but a full week before release? I rather save that for myself and see it on my own screen next week. On one hand I want to see it though, just to see if it still looks as ace as last year.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's not hyperbolic at all, the marketing has been dreadful and MS needs to realise that even with Gamepas, they still need to advertise their games. Not everyone has GPU, not everyone cares about GPU, the majority still buy their games and MS needs to focus on those people first and foremost and show them why they should be interested in this game.

Some will argue that its coming to GPU means they don't have to focus on marketing and can let WoM and GPU excitement help spread the word, but that pales in comparison to what a good marketing campaign can do. Hell, market the game as coming to GPU to push subs, but do something to showcase the damn thing, especially when it's introducing so many new features and taking the series in a new direction.

This needed to be front and centre at every games event, it needs ads running some clips from the campaign at GPU branding. It needs something, anything. A lot of people might end up sleeping on this Gears because all they saw was the multiplayer and it's going to break my heart.

MS marketing on the whole has been awful this entire generation, they just left Blair Witch to die on GP. Barely any marketing to highlight it's coming to GP today and they signed a pretty big deal to secure the exclusive launch rights if I'm not mistaken. MS needs to address this and soon, it's sad how far they've fallen when it comes to marketing.

*Goes back to biting tongue*

All valid but the underlying most important thing for MS is P&L. I'm sure they've crunched some numbers and they will be able to see what approach works best for them, when they check the ROI.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
This is looking fantastic! Got my excitement back up for sure.

I just really hope the open world areas are not vast empty lifeless spaces.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Same here. Yeah I know I've been saying I wanted campaign footage, but a full week before release? I rather save that for myself and see it on my own screen next week. On one hand I want to see it though, just to see if it still looks as ace as last year.

I wanted to see campaign footage too, but not this close to release. It'll be fresh in my mind when I play it next week.

I'm sure the game looks fantastic and plays really smooth.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone got a mirror? The video linked in the OP doesn't work for me.

I got you, fam .

All valid but the underlying most important thing for MS is P&L. I'm sure they've crunched some numbers and they will be able to see what approach works best for them, when they check the ROI.

I'm sure a decent marketing campaign wouldn't hurt their P&L margins, but let's see what happens this coming week in terms of marketing.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
At 4:20 you see the X button pop up at the enemy that runs away. Guess that is used to give Jack attack command.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
In terms of marketing I've seen a huge ad before multiple movies recently. My friend went wow that looks great I'm buying that. He's never played gears before. So I guess it's working to some degree lol.

Feb 10, 2018
In comparison to the 2018 trailer, there are some slight removals of effects. Not necessarily a downgrade, but more a decision to focus on 60fps over having all the bells and whistles.

It'll be interesting to see what the game looks like on Scarlett. 60fps, 4k, all effects set to max and raytracing?

Lordy lord LORD!!

The look of the game and at 60fps is an upgrade overall.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
Marketing has been great for this games. Everyone's expectations have been greatly surpassed and hype is at max levels just in time for release. Rod was really smart to handle the marketing the way he did. This game is going to do insane numbers on Game Pass, and that'll drive sales from people who don't have/want the service.
I agree! It was smart of him to do it this way. Hype is through the roof for Gears 5. Plus its releasing on Xbox, PC and Steam. They'll do insane numbers. Word of mouth will be a huge driving force for game sales.

Dec 26, 2017
Firelink Shrine
PC goes without saying, but for people who play on consoles it's probably going to be a nice upgrade over the already great looking Xbox One version.

Anyway, this looks promising, all the ice shenanigans will probably be a lot of fun. I finished my replays of the previous Gears campaigns yesterday, and I'm freshly reminded of just how engaging those games can be. When it comes to cover shooters, they really set a high bar (here's hoping for no frustrating horde sequences in the campaign, though). I don't need to see anything else, just activate that preload already.
preload is up!