• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
It's disappointing that inoffensive comments and opinions have to be moderated in such a poor and heavy-handed way because some people can't help but be reactionary and defensive.
Maybe you should have used an other headline. Don't get me wrong the game looks fantastic but saying something like "The tech test is visually stunning, so it's no surprise the campaign looks even better!!" is a little bit to much... this could be gears 4 gameplay and nobody would question that. Let's wait for official xbox gameplay to see what gears 5 is really capable of...

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
And my comment about "gamey" face :

I agree that I wish they went with a bit of a different art style for the new series (Gears 4 and onwards). With that said, the faces look good to me lol. Maybe when the new campaign footage is out we'll get a better look?

pMll0CA.gif

tumblr_pa63xbZcIq1qgojgxo1_540.gif

largekait1.png

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you should have used an other headline. Don't get me wrong the game looks fantastic but saying something like "The tech test is visually stunning, so it's no surprise the campaign looks even better!!" is a little bit to much... this could be gears 4 gameplay and nobody would question that. Let's wait for official xbox gameplay to see what gears 5 is really capable of...
Do you regularly play gears 4? Have you played the gears 5 tech test?

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree that I wish they went with a bit of a different art style for the new series (Gears 4 and onwards). With that said, the faces look good to me lol. Maybe when the new campaign footage is out we'll get a better look?

Maybe it's the eyes or the way their faces move (it seems all the characters have the same bone structure). It contrasts with the rest of the assets, they look way too cartoony.

But no biggie, just my opinion.

The locusts look great.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I guess Theorry was right, maybe it's the "Gears" style that I don't really like. I wish they stayed closer to the artwork

concept_del_armored_final.jpg

And my comment about "gamey" face :

daniel-bohrer-del-hair.jpg

vs

horizon-character-art-toiju.jpg

I think it comes down to art direction. Horizon's humans aim to possess more realistic body proportions compared to Gears and it has been known forever. So to accommodate the overall bulky aesthetics other proportions, namely face and neck had to be altered accordingly to stop it from looking at odds with rest of the body.

The female character design in GeoW (sans 1) show a shift towards more realistic proportion.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is really great looking. Most importantly, the game plays amazing. This tech test got me super hyped for the full release. There's nothing out there like Gears. I feel it would make a great movie too. Get Bautista, terry crews, and Dwayne Johnson.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's the eyes or the way their faces move (it seems all the characters have the same bone structure). It constrasts with the rest of the assets, they look way too cartoony.

But no biggie, just my opinion.

The locusts look great.

The Locusts/Swam look sooooo fucking good.

giphy.gif

GivingRaggedIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

I'm looking forward to the game but that artwork you posted makes me WISH they went a separate way with the human design. But yea, agree to disagree. Hopefully the game is fun.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing that inoffensive comments and opinions have to be moderated in such a poor and heavy-handed way because some people can't help but be reactionary and defensive.

Its not even a like for like comparison. One has the graphical budget at 30 frames, while the other is one a bigger budget and working at higher framerate.

Anyway, it looks phenomenal. Massive improvement over Gears 4, I can't wait to see what the campaign will offer.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Played through the tech test boot camp. I've never been a fan of either Epic or Coalitions art and the animations aren't meant to compare to some other top tier graphics. You're sacrificing transitions for snappiness. Neither Red Dead's or Horizons animations would translate to Gears multiplayer. That said, graphics are the cleanest I've seen for a 60 FPS game on consoles all gen. Colors pop. There isn't a 60 FPS game on consoles that will show off your Oleds HDR better than Gears 5.

In addition, I can't think of a 3rd person console shooter that controls better and shoots better. Everything feels more crisp than past Gears games.

I guess my point is that it's apples and oranges. Gears is top of its class technically. Shouldn't be compared to games that are 30fps and sacrifice controls for animations. If campaign graphics improve on the multiplayer, it'll probably be the furthest he X has been pushed.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days) - Ignoring Staff Post
Uncharted 4 MP ( 1440P PRO )
IQiFYSl.jpg

Gears 5 MP ( 4K 60FPS *360 Graphics* )
Dyc8S10.png

Last edited:

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My post on it from the OT.

Regarding it being the best visuals by far this gen, based only on this tiny snippet, I'd have to strongly disagree. Imo there are a few other games that do snowy environments far more convincingly, with more realistic snow deformation, effects and granularity, as well as more detail and scope in the environments themselves. That said, these other games aren't 60fps so it's not exactly a fair comparison, though saying that we don't yet know the scale of Gears 5's environments either, so that factors in too.

dVd6gf2.gif

WA3YjY8.gif

source.gif

tumblr_pfxf68eccy1w7oo05o1_540.gif

C2S9a7l.gif

While I don't agree on the "best visuals this gen" part, I find everyone in here ignoring the fact that this runs at 60 to be highly disingenuous.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I haven't gone through the entire thread, but just in case this hasn't been said: Gears 4's benchmark was a system-pounding test, not a key-animated one. Same appears to be the case for Gears 5. The dev team has dumped a combination of effects that resembles the game at its most GPU/CPU load intensive with camera angles that expose all of the geometry. But it's not the game at its best-looking, is my guess, just like with Gears 4.

And if you''re wondering what something closer to top-of-line does at 4K, here's my benchmark with settings at near-max. (RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition, not overclocked; my i7-8770K is OC'ed to 4.9GHz.)

7J72o2x.png

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
this game really needs a campaign demo, if a thread like this turned into such a trash fire. people need something to actually talk about.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't gone through the entire thread, but just in case this hasn't been said: Gears 4's benchmark was a system-pounding test, not a key-animated one. Same appears to be the case for Gears 5. The dev team has dumped a combination of effects that resembles the game at its most GPU/CPU load intensive with camera angles that expose all of the geometry. But it's not the game at its best-looking, is my guess, just like with Gears 4.

And if you''re wondering what something closer to top-of-line does at 4K, here's my benchmark with settings at near-max. (RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition, not overclocked; my i7-8770K is OC'ed to 4.9GHz.)

7J72o2x.png

Wow, at 4K I was hitting 36fps average on my 1070 and 8086K at 5ghz OC. At 1080P it's mid 90s average. Guess I'll pass on the 2080 Super and wait till next year.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Wow, at 4K I was hitting 36fps average on my 1070 and 8086K at 5ghz OC. At 1080P it's mid 90s average. Guess I'll pass on the 2080 Super and wait till next year.

Huh? That's not a 2080 Super (that isn't out yet). Plus, the benchmark shows I have the settings up to ludicrous levels, including one "insane" toggle.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
Some of y'all actually getting yourselves banned in a benchmark thread. lol.

Even for a tech test, it looks amazing right now. Can't wait to see more of the campaign. I think TC did right aiming for 60FPS.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
All I care about is if the pacing will be better than 4. I got tired of walking 5 feet, arena, fight, rinse and repeat for the entire game. I wish they took more time to flesh out the story in between arenas.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I really don't understand why you'd get yourself banned in this thread. This game looks amazing on 60fps. Why would you be salty about that?
Discussing if a game is the best of the gen visually is pointless.. every game focuses on other aspects.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
And they are also comparing that gears is linear as fuck and horizon is a full open world. So comparison is completely pointless straight away

it's not really full open world, imo. it's very flat, all real verticality takes place in very limited places. enemy interaction is also limited to specific places (simple collision ) all in an effort to give max resources to bring pretty. the game might have been better being more linear imo, as the open world didn't really do anything for it.

that being said, i also found gears4 flat, and i am tired of square, waist high cover covered areas connected by tubes, but i am holding out hope they change it up.

i want, from all games, a more interactive world, not just static pretty.

anywayyy

gears5 mp test looks stunning in person, and 60fps is of course super impactful in motion.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read through threads like this and can't help but laugh when people STILL say there's no anti-Xbox bias on Era. This thread is embarrassing.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Huh? That's not a 2080 Super (that isn't out yet). Plus, the benchmark shows I have the settings up to ludicrous levels, including one "insane" toggle.

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't think this out too well.

This was more about how your TI wasn't hitting 60FPS at 4K where the Super will be even slower. Outside of video cards our systems are pretty similar, and I ran my benchmark completely maxed out unless there are RTX options I couldn't enable. Sure driver optimization will improve your score. I'm just waiting for a true 60 FPS at 4K for my B7, and I'm starting to think I need to wait another gen. No shade at all on your beast of a machine.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question sorry if this has been answered but it's difficult to tell in between all the shit posts.

Does the game also run at 60 FPS on a original Xbox One? I don't have an X.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I read through threads like this and can't help but laugh when people STILL say there's no anti-Xbox bias on Era. This thread is embarrassing.
Eh it's still better than most forums but yeah it's still here. Moderators just don't play any games anymore lol, the trolls actually receive internet justice this time around. Neogaf (as I still go there just for the shit opinions lol, they make me laugh) is still a thing for anyone with an Xbox hate boner so if you guys wanna post your gif comparisons you can always go back there 🤷🏾‍♂️. I'm sure they'd love to have you.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't think this out too well.

This was more about how your TI wasn't hitting 60FPS at 4K where the Super will be even slower. Outside of video cards our systems are pretty similar, and I ran my benchmark completely maxed out unless there are RTX options I couldn't enable. Sure driver optimization will improve your score. I'm just waiting for a true 60 FPS at 4K for my B7, and I'm starting to think I need to wait another gen. No shade at all on your beast of a machine.

Improving that score has nothing to do with driver optimization and everything to do with the fact that I set some toggles up to "ultra" and "insane," which puts a ridiculous hit on any system running 4K. I dropped both shadow settings to "high" (hardly a noticeable difference) and dropped resolution to 95% of 4K, left everything other setting at "ultra," got the average up to 67fps. Take a breath. This is PC gaming. There's always a way.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
So I just watched the video and I have to disagree with OP here. Nothing Seems best here. It's just good.

One thing I am not liking about the physics are big chunky particle effects instead of finely detailed ones like we are used to this gen and physics seems wonky and goofy.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Even this unreliable benchmark looks better than anything in Gears 4, people who say otherwise haven't seen that game in a long time.
I recently finished the game on 1060 thanks to game pass and I would say it does look better but not by a huge margin. But let's wait for the game to be released first.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

pMll0CA.gif

tumblr_pa63xbZcIq1qgojgxo1_540.gif

largekait1.png
Cut scene or no cut scene. This will be the best looking Unreal Engine game on launch as it has been the case with all Gears games.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you lack adequate cooling for your cpu. Games cant do anything. No game ever is gonna overheat any piece of your hardware if it has appropriate cooling. Look into that and see whats up. Its not the game at fault

Its weird, its the only game that does that. Metro Exodus running at 4k ultra or 1080p with RTX on high runs at a comfortable 60-70C. I guess Ill take a look at the cooling.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
While I don't agree on the "best visuals this gen" part, I find everyone in here ignoring the fact that this runs at 60 to be highly disingenuous.

I think it's an incredible achievement, but at the same time some of the games that are in contention for the 'best graphics title' even solely on the Xbox One, are much larger in scale and scope, or fully open world, which obviously compensates for that difference in frame rate.

RDR2 and Forza Horizon 4 both look absolutely sublime on the Xbox One, and despite being 30 fps, they're fully open world. If Gears 5 has to be open world or much larger in scale and 60fps at the same time, that's going to be far more challenging.

Despite none of what we've seen from Gears 5 thus far (besides the snippets from the initial reveal trailer) looking larger than the largest environments from past Gears games, we've been told this is the biggest Gears ever, up to 20x larger, so it just remains to be seen what sort of visual fidelity is achieved in these larger environments at 60fps, and how large they are or are not to begin with.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game looks great given that it runs at mostly 60fps, but I don't think it's impressive by any means.
I was hoping they'd give use the option to lock it to 30fps for the campaign and increase some of the settings, so I might play it on PC instead seeing as how I got G-sync which beats that fluctuating 60fps console experience.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Some weird angles in that test, is it possible to switch them around so we get a better look at different things?

In game on 1X it's just really crisp, detailed and fluid not many games come near it for all three things.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Open world is not as limiting as targetting 60fps. That's why DMC5, Doom and Wolfenstein New Colossus don't look as good as Horizon Zero Dawn, RDR 2 or Forza Horizon 4.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. I think it's more to do with the talent, budget, resources and capabilities of a studio, and that likely goes someway to explaining why the latter look better than the former. Hell, look at what DICE accomplished with Battlefront 1/2, they're among the very best looking games out there, and are 60fps on top of featuring large scale environments and loads of players on screen at once.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Outside of Anthem, I haven't seen a AAA game get trolled harder pre-launch than Gears 5 this gen. Looks like a 360 game? Clearly the messaging and way they're revealing the game isn't helping but the negativity is irrational.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love this benchmark. Its quick and throws everything at ya. First time im seeing an animation graphics option. I cant wait for the digital foundry analysis.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think it's an incredible achievement, but at the same time some of the games that are in contention for the 'best graphics title' even solely on the Xbox One, are much larger in scale and scope, or fully open world, which obviously compensates for that difference in frame rate.

RDR2 and Forza Horizon 4 both look absolutely sublime on the Xbox One, and despite being 30 fps, they're fully open world. If Gears 5 has to be open world or much larger in scale and 60fps at the same time, that's going to be far more challenging.

Despite none of what we've seen from Gears 5 thus far (besides the snippets from the initial reveal trailer) looking larger than the largest environments from past Gears games, we've been told this is the biggest Gears ever, up to 20x larger, so it just remains to be seen what sort of visual fidelity is achieved in these larger environments at 60fps, and how large they are or are not to begin with.

Forza Horizon 4 is 60 as well