• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Sony take over Halo
tfibviiwzv9f144navnv.gif

More Butter

Banned
Jun 12, 2018
This tech test is blowing me away with its visuals. Its a smooth 60 too. Well done coalition. The IQ is already insane.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Any ND game since Uncharted 3 (I think), God of War, Horizon. I'm not complaining, just saying it's not the same level of detail.

It's obviously not the same. In-game while you're actually playing it looks nothing like screen above. Let's stop pretending it's not a pre-rendered cutscene.
Eh... the cutscenes are real time in 5.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I have no reason to believe that's not what would happen. Hell, I fear that's what Playground are going to do with it.

Oh yea, I had forgotten that Playground is in charge now.

Given what they have accomplished through various iterations for Forza, I would not lose sleep over them handling the Fable IP. For a change, they may not make outrageous promises- a first for a Fable game.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I mean Horizon looked great, but people are definitely blowing smoke up that games a** in here.

Sucks you have to play it on a PS4 Pro to get the full experience. Most of the older Pro's sounds like absolutely garbage when trying to load/play anything even remotely intensive. Hard pass.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Yeah, Rod said at the AMD conference that for 5 they have gone real time (he said the same at E3 2018.)

Not surprising. Given the fidelity that can attained in in-engine cutscenes in real time with added post process fx is simply stunning. The only reason why games still use pre-rendered in-engine stuff is to mask load times. Sounds like the Gear 5's level design and streaming system must have been substantially iterated upon from 4.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. Given the fidelity that can attained in in-engine cutscenes in real time with added post process fx is simply stunning. The only reason why games still use pre-rendered in-engine stuff is to mask load times. Sounds like the Gear 5's level design and streaming system must have been substantially iterated upon from 4.
They probably wanted to keep the game size down as well, coming off 4.

Racos

Oct 27, 2017
VISUAL SHOWCASE
Play every mode in 4K and HDR at a smooth 60 frames per second on Xbox One X.

It has been said from last year already its 4k/60 for every mode. In every interview also.
They didnt like you need to choose with Gears 4 and the X patch. So they wanted both for the X with Gears 5

It will be 4k/30 in splitscreen.

I'm glad that it seems Gears 5 split screen is running a bit better than Gears 4 split screen, which was unplayable to me and my brother. It seemed way lower than 30fps. I wish they would have gone lower than 4K and tried 60fps for split screen though. I would much prefer that for multiplayer.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Oh yea, I had forgotten that Playground is in charge now.

Given what they have accomplished through various iterations for Forza, I would not lose sleep over them handling the Fable IP. For a change, they may not make outrageous promises- a first for a Fable game.

It's exciting, and I remain optimistic, but I can't say that I don't also feel a good bit of trepidation. I want Fable to be modernized in some ways, so that it could become commercially viable again, but I hope that its core strengths - whimsical setting with British humour, gameplay-driven with plenty of simulation elements, accessible and malleable - will remain in place

And don't get me wrong, I think that Sony studios create some great games, and also some unique games (a good chunk of those coming from Japan Studio, and their various collaborations with outside partners). However, it's hard to ignore the fact that some elements seem to be common to most of their recent high profile releases. Their studios and major games have strengths and weaknesses of their own, and I don't think that they would necessarily translate well to some of Microsoft's established franchises - and vice versa. The variety that we already have is worth preserving.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
I have no reason to believe that's not what would happen. Hell, I fear that's what Playground are going to do with it.
Oh God please don't make Fable overly serious. I'll be crushed if I can't be called chicken chaser or have any of it's former charm. Fable is amazing because it felt like a storybook not because of its systems. Nothing had the kind of charm that series had. It was just so unique. This is a serious thread derail.

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looked at the 4k video again. My god, you really need to have low standards saying that it's one of the best graphics this gen. Look at low res ice, cardbox wobbeling car, bad animations etc.

This test is also not based on graphics, but it does not look great...just generic. The Singleplayer is the part you want to compare with other games in the end.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Look that.

GEARS 4 - BENCHMARK :

And now look the ingame

GEARS 4 - INGAME :

It's not the same right ? :)

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Nothings weird about it.
There is literally a post on page 2 saying higher fps equates to better graphics by default.
I play on pc at high fps.
If i lock my fps to 30 the graphics have not gotten worse my controls just feel like dogshit.
As for all these 30fps games people keep bringing up- uncharted horizon god of war and RDR2-if we double their fps to 60 their graphics didnt improve in any way.
Their input and responsiveness just got a hell of a whole lot better.
You are comparing being able to overpower console limitations with PC strength. PC should ALWAYS be your choice if graphics and performance are your priority.

In the console landscape though graphics and performance have to be weighed over which is preferred. You wouldn't have Horizons current visuals at 4k/60fps on PS4 hardware. So the argument has caveats on PC but falls apart on console.

Discussion Guidelines

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
The topic of discussion is the Gears 5 Campaign Benchmark. Please refrain from cross-platform comparisons and other off-topic discussion.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Xbox/Xbox game-related threads always bring out the worst of this forum. It always turns into some console warring BS.

Anyway, the game looks phenomenal, especially on PC.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft knows how to create gamepad and consoles, that's all.

Sony takes over Halo and Fable, we'll see amazing things
Sony could never make a multiplayer game on the level of Halo so no thanks.

Just saw the mod post. I think the game will look fine. I don't really care about visuals as I value 60fps more.

Last edited:

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I think that the benchmark visuals look great, but they're not really setting any new standards. I'd even say that some footage I've seen of multiplayer looks more impressive than this benchmark. If the campaign is really going to be 4K/60, then that's definitely going to be pushing some boundaries.

Considering this, and some other games that we've seen recently, certain thoughts are forming. With mid-gen consoles already out there as very capable machines, it's going to be harder to wow people with visuals at the start of the generation. Halo 5 is already (dynamic) 4K/60 on the X, and Infinite is probably going to be the same. Forza Motorsport 7 is 4K/60. Forza Horizon 4 has a 60 fps mode for the first time, although it's limited to 1080p on the X. Now Gears 5 will seemingly be 4K/60 as well.

I think that Microsoft is aiming for the combination of IQ and performance on the X which is going to be identical or close to the combination of IQ and performance on Scarlett (at launch), even if it means that visual complexity needs to take a temporary hit. That way they will maintain the same IQ, and the same performance across the two generations (not counting the base Xbox One, which is already falling behind in mind share), with all the additional grunt that Scarlett will provide going into making the visuals better, combined with the improvements that the inclusion of high speed SSD will bring to loading and streaming. It's much easier to sell the mainstream audience on new hardware with significantly better visuals, than with improved performance and IQ, while visual complexity receives only a modest boost.

Although, with marked improvements on the CPU front, Microsoft might be aiming for even higher than 60 fps for some of its Scarlett launch games, in addition to improved graphics?

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing that inoffensive comments and opinions have to be moderated in such a poor and heavy-handed way because some people can't help but be reactionary and defensive.