• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know Kait had changed to a red head? But all these Gears screenshots seem to suggest it.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Gears 5 actually plays great and here we are with resolution and graphic wars. The former is much, much more important.

Vaizard

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Benchmark isn't really the best looking part of Gears i think so I disagree with the OP and his statement. Been playing multiplayer on an Oled and X1X and that looks much better than this small section brings across. Game looks stunning, so really curious what the single player will bring us.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks "fine".

Very curious to see how in the world they'll get it running at 60fps, the tutorial alone can be quite demanding depending on the direction you're facing. If you reduce a few settings then it's easy, but some of them look waaaay too bad at Low settings, like Dynamic Shadows, and I doubt the X will look like that.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Op needs to be changed so we can get this thread on track. Miles, you should fucking know better.

On topic, the tech test destroyed my 1080ti, so I'm happy this thing looks quite delicious.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I just hope they made some major gameplay improvements

so far it just looks like more of the same

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping they are hiding some of the more interesting moments from the campaign because the franchise needs a shake up. I know the Gears faithful are fine with the status quo, but I'd love to see a soft reboot where they take some risks.

Jul 15, 2019
User Warned - Trolling
Am i the only one not impressed by this? It looks solid at best and the multiplayer screenshots and footage I've seen still make it look like a 360 port or an early this gen game. On top that, the characters just run through that snow gunfire like it's nothing and don't react at all. Really not sure what OP is talking about here

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Looks great visually.

Sigh... less than 20 posts and we have the PS4 exclusive post process gif spam 😖

All you can do is report it. I do have to admit it gets tough having on topic discussions with hundreds of 480p gifs the size of postage stamps littering up the place.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All you can do is report it. I do have to admit it gets tough having on topic discussions with hundreds of 480p gifs the size of postage stamps littering up the place.

It's more annoying than anything else as I have limited data on my phone and all the gifs make my phone red hot (iPhone 6 plus).

I wish there was a hide gif / video option on mobile like the old place.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Am i the only one not impressed by this? It looks solid at best and the multiplayer screenshots and footage I've seen still make it look like a 360 port or an early this gen game. On top that, the characters just run through that snow gunfire like it's nothing and don't react at all. Really not sure what OP is talking about here
It's just you lol. 360 port... LMFAO.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Woah! If they can get real close to the fidelity of GeoW4 then that would be something special. Guess we will wait for DF to narrow down on the resolution.

I don't think that will happen, there's actually some aliasing in the boot camp in the tech test. Nothing too horrible but neither as insane clean as 4.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's an Xbox thread it will always be a console war thread.

Maybe if the OP didn't make claims like "easily the best visuals of the generation so far " it wouldn't go into a console war thread.

Regarding the game, it looks good but I'm pretty sure it's not even in the top 5 of the generation and yes I've played it myself.

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Yikes, it's often a case of if you don't have anything nice to say, just don't say anything!

I think it looks great! I'm excited to play it -- I might replay the third one since it's on Gamepass and all!

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Something running at 60FPS doesn't mean it looks better than a 30FPS game. Frame rate has nothing to do with graphics and art style.

Never said that.

Yet comparing visuals of games that sacrifice themselves to be 30fps means by nature comparing to them to something that is easily achieving 60fps and maintaining it should be avoided or the context should be set.

Frame rate has nothing to do with art style. Saying it has nothing to do with graphics is just laughable considering it's how we achieve motion, videogames aren't a still artform. There is also the factor that having a high fps will basically limit the scope of your art, fx, drawcall and polys total especially in a console based game.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Miles wait are you saying this "easily the best visuals of the generation so far"
In reference to the video in your post or a different video because though I'm not playing that natively on my OLED like you say I can't imagine the resolution jump is going to make it all of a sudden the best looking thing I've ever seen

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if the OP didn't make claims like "easily the best visuals of the generation so far " it wouldn't go into a console war thread.

Regarding the game, it looks good but I'm pretty sure it's not even in the top 5 of the generation and yes I've played it myself.

It speaks a great deal about how insecure some people are that a comment about a game I found to be the most visually stunning game so far is met with a barrage of gifs and screens from different games that aren't on the same platform and aren't in the same genre.

If you disagree it's not the most visually stunning game so far, that's cool, but for me, playing the tech test was a visual revelation. One that hasn't been matched since I first played Horizon and explored the game world.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon looks better to me. By a lot.

lk298viwjfnmy4vq4koo.gif

source.gif

I agree, but Horizon doesn't touch 60 frames nor does it come anywhere close to 4k. Not really a like for like comparison.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Something running at 60FPS doesn't mean it looks better than a 30FPS game. Frame rate has nothing to do with graphics and art style.
Eh? You're getting twice as many graphics at 60fps :)

Back in topic, the Gears 5 bootcamp training on my 2080 Ti is literally jaw dropping stuff. It looks incredible, and so much better in person than videos can show due to all the insane image quality, little details, use of lighting and HDR.

But I was actually not all that impressed by the benchmark that's in the OP. Compared to the game itself, it looked a little flat.

So, my point is, the actual game (bootcamp at least) actually looks better than the benchmark.

OP
OP
MilesQ

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Miles wait are you saying this "easily the best visuals of the generation so far"
In reference to the video in your post or a different video because though I'm not playing that natively on my OLED like you say I can't imagine the resolution jump is going to make it all of a sudden the best looking thing I've ever seen

Yup. The tech test is a visual feast, it's easily the most stunning game I've seen so far this generation. The rest is an extrapolation that the campaign will look even better based on what I've played of the tech test and what I can see in that video. The weather effects look significantly better than anything we've seen so far. There are aspects where it's not impressive, the snow when Kait and co are jogging through doesn't really sell it well and the van is hilariously out of place too.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't really think that anyone needs to be impressed by the game, but if you think it looks like a 360 port, you should really play some 360 games. That's just some huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge rose tinted glasses over there

The MP especially looks way better than anything Gears 4 did in it's online

Jul 15, 2019

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It speaks a great deal about how insecure some people are that a comment about a game I found to be the most visually stunning game so far is met with a barrage of gifs and screens from different games that aren't on the same platform and aren't in the same genre.

If you disagree it's not the most visually stunning game so far, that's cool, but for me, playing the tech test was a visual revelation. One that hasn't been matched since I first played Horizon and explored the game world.

When you make comments like that you're always going to have people calling you out.
Instead you should have said "one of the most, if not the most impressive game I've played this generation", then the discussion might have been different.

Feb 10, 2018
It would be interesting if somewhere like digital foundry did a "vs analysis" of say gears 5 and TLOU2, running on a 1X and pro, and analysed all the visual components E. G texture quality, polycount, lighting quality, effects, resolution, framerate, AA methods etc and stated which game had the better implementation,, whichever had the most superior visual categories, was crowned the better looking game.

This way anyone who drive bys "game A looks far better then game B" can be QUOTEd and shown the analysis, proving them wrong.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Woah! If they can get real close to the fidelity of GeoW4 then that would be something special. Guess we will wait for DF to narrow down on the resolution.

Keep in mind this was built from the ground up with the X in mind and a ton of updates to UE4. 5 should easily surpass 4 on all fronts especially on the X.