• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Right! Either praise the numbers or get called a console warrior/trolling. I haven't even ever said they were bad or good, and I'm getting dog piled on. The people who are inferring we are just console warriors are acting more like it than we are.
I mean, as primarily PC guy a have no horse in this race either. It's just interesting to see other open data points and correlate them for wider picture. It's not a war crime or downplaying your favorite 2019 title, bros. chill.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox: Please play this game on gamepass. We are begging you to play it on gamepass? Not convinced? We're going to put gamepass in every single piece of marketing for the game. Still not convinced? We are going to sell gamepass for a dollar a month a week before the game comes out.

Era: So how bout them physical sales? What is MS hiding?
Lmao xD.

Oct 25, 2017
I was talking about F2P games

that's what i get from jumping into a moving train

sorry about that

Because what, I just speak some factual open data? Nice way of supporting the discussion. PRAISE THE NUMBERS OR YOU'RE TROLLING.
(Which is even more funny, considering that I've bought the game on Steam and liked it a lot)

But I love how every post with a slight amount of critical thinking is considered trolling or being salty, guys.

your factual open data doesn't mean much in the greater context here. A game being big on twitch almost always means it's selling great, a game not doing great on twitch doesn't necessarily mean it's doing bad. We also have data that shows that most people, be it on PC or Xbox, got it from Game Pass, so Steam being low doesn't mean it's doing bad.

It's all new for now, and i don't know what this will mean in the long run, these subscription and services in general scare me quite a bit, i just don't think that the data you brought up is really relevant to the game's performance.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I agree its hard to judge the success anymore without a LOT of extra data. Which was the entire point of my initial post. And maybe I missed it, and I apologize if I have, but they didn't state how many new subs it brought to the service. "record number" isn't very telling unless we knew the prior record holder.

In general I agree with most of your post, and that going forward it is going to be very difficult to judge the success/failure of a game in subscription services.

Also, to be fair, never once did I argue that these were good OR bad numbers. Just that they weren't very telling. That was the entire point of my post.
I understand what you are saying but all we have are facts that they revealed to us. We can make inferences. If we know that it brought in a record number of users to a XGS title...that means that the marketing (including word of mouth) affected this game for game pass than the others. Obviously it's not the whole story because Gears is a bigger IP as well so you have to take that into consideration. But when you look at their highest performing franchise this generation, Forza Horizon, and it beat that for record number of users for XGS launch into GamePass...that can make my statement more likely. We also know that GamePass was marketed more with the branding all over the world and ads on TV and such in comparison to Forza Horizon 4. Then with that, they have more users using GamePass for their XGS titles. That is something that XGS is meant to do, per Xbox executives. So if your business is doing what they are meant to do...the direction is in the right one. Now you have to see how that can continue with other titles.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
that's what i get from jumping into a moving train

sorry about that

your factual open data doesn't mean much in the greater context here. A game being big on twitch almost always means it's selling great, a game not doing great on twitch doesn't necessarily mean it's doing bad. We also have data that shows that most people, be it on PC or Xbox, got it from Game Pass, so Steam being low doesn't mean it's doing bad.

It's all new for now, and i don't know what this will mean in the long run, these subscription and services in general scare me quite a bit, i just don't think that the data you brought up is really relevant to the game's performance.
This I agree with. I don't think any singular data point is very meaningful in this "new world".

Oct 25, 2017
I would gladly see other data points mate. It's not like we even know the basics. Like, you know, actual Xbox userbase for starters.

But yeah, good for you. Cheers.

*sigh*

Sorry if i sounded rude. Some people have really weird hot takes in here so i was quite defensive in my post. Steam being low when the game had ton of Game Pass promotions doesn't really make me think it performed badly if the intention was to get new subscribers for the service.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Congrats to the team. Heard good things about the game.

Though, I would like to know what Microsoft's plans are for Gamepass.

Right now it seems to bleed a lot of money. It's cannibalizing a lot of Day One sales and the revenue generated by gamepass seems barely enough to pay off third parties on the service, let alone recouping lost sales for Crackdown 3 and Gears 5.

Microsoft is probably shocked how fast Gamepass ate into their Day One sales.

Do you think Facebook's also 'shocked' that their $18bn purchase of Whatsapp hasn't generated any meaningful revenue yet?

C'mon man.
Microsoft's GamePass play is clearly for the long term. Users are the new currency these days for many tech firms.

Gears 5 most likely had a budget less than $70mln, given the engine is Unreal and dev time was relatively short. Paying that amount for what could turn out to be millions of Gamepass users isn't anywhere close to a bad deal in today's world.

Which is always why the sub numbers are more important than "number of players", a number they don't provide. And I am guessing MS didn't create this game just to retain users when the service is so new. If they had 3 million subs leading into this, and this created no new subs, I doubt they are happy.

I truly hope you don't really imagine that the 3 million players they cite is closely aligned to the number of Gamepass subs?

Last edited:

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Kind of expected a stronger start, but still it's beaten Forza Horizon 4's launch which has at this point reached 12 million players, so maybe G5 will also reach similar levels of lifetime success. I've been enjoying the campaign a lot in any case and am hoping Gears 6 will get a big budget to be even more bombastic, better and more successful. :)

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Forza horizon 4 crossed 12 mill players and has 4 mill monthly active players. If Gears 5 can get to the point where it has 5 mill monthly players 6+ months after release, clearly that would be a sign that people are still signed up to gamepass and using it to continually play the game
Doubtful - I had Gears 4 PvP multiplayer at 400k monthly players in March of 2018. Achievement for playing one match of Arcade is at 18.67% which translates to 560k players in the last 10 days. Easiest Horde achievement is at 15.70% - that's 471k players. First campaign achievement is at 55.8%, but you won't have people playing campaign months down the line.

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful - I had Gears 4 PvP multiplayer at 400k monthly players in March of 2018. Achievement for playing one match of Arcade is at 18.67% which translates to 560k players in the last 10 days. Easiest Horde achievement is at 15.70% - that's 471k players. First campaign achievement is at 55.8%, but you won't have people playing campaign months down the line.

"You had"? What do you mean?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well done to the team. Not played it yet but it looks fantastic.

Also props for targeting 60fps too. Hopefully MS continues to target it like many Nintendo games and Sony will also follow suit next gen even if it's just an option at a lower resolution like God of War.

Oct 27, 2017
1. There will be more players playing Gears 5 than 4 because of gamepass. It took gears 4 like 9 months to get 6 million players. 5 got 3 mill players in its first weekend. More hands will touch this game

2. I truly think map creator is something that will give longer life to the game. It's already in beta for Escape and I'm assuming it'll also be moved over to horde and MP

Oct 25, 2017
They contantly add new and easy to earn achievements to the game which allow you to estimate how many people are playing Versus modes if you know how big total playerbase is.

Gears 4 took months to get to that number. Gears 5 had 3 million players in one weekend. Will it get FH4 numbers? I don't know. Is it possible? Absolutely.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Has there been any word if Gears 2 and 3 are getting a remaster on PC and X1 yet? Want to jump on the Gears train but sucks missing half of the content.

Anyway congrats to the devs and MS, looks like a great game.

staff post - knock off the hostility

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This is a thread on a video game having good engagement numbers, there is no need for hostility. Any further hostility will be actioned heavily.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
congrats. didnt think gears had it in them to reach these levels after seeing 4's population

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
But did MS make any money
3M x $15 = $45M
Some of those Gamepass will be trials, or $2 upgrades from XBLG, or just basic Gamepass.
Some of them will also be full priced versions or special versions.
If a big percentage of sign-ups hang around for a few months and more people sign up to play Gears 5, I'd say it's profitable.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3M x $15 = $45M
Some of those Gamepass will be trials, or $2 upgrades from XBLG, or just basic Gamepass.
If a big percentage of sign-ups hang around for a few months and more people sign up to play Gears 5, I'd say it's profitable.
That's not even counting the MTX.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Honestly we don't know the context but good for them so far. I signed up for Game Pass for this game and as a consumer that's better for me since I won't be playing MP much. I mean I just paid $2 for 2 months and I'll cancel when I'm done with whatever else they offer and I'll sign back up when the next big release is. Halo Infinite? These sound like good numbers but we don't know exactly how good they are and the % of people who bought it vs those who used the promo on game pass etc. Either way, I think MS has found their niche in the market.

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3M x $15 = $45M

There are hundreds of games on Gamepass from many publishers and developers. MS doesn't get to keep 100% of the fees. They have to turn around and give most of that money to third parties. It is very much an open question as to whether the Gamepass model is sustainable long term.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
1. There will be more players playing Gears 5 than 4 because of gamepass. It took gears 4 like 9 months to get 6 million players. 5 got 3 mill players in its first weekend. More hands will touch this game

2. I truly think map creator is something that will give longer life to the game. It's already in beta for Escape and I'm assuming it'll also be moved over to horde and MP
Gears 4 took months to get to that number. Gears 5 had 3 million players in one weekend. Will it get FH4 numbers? I don't know. Is it possible? Absolutely.
Absolutely possible. Arcade is an attempt at reaching huge multiplayer audience. But there's a big gulf in quality between FH4 and other racing games, while such gulf doesn't exist in the case of Gears 5 and other shooters.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
3M x $15 = $45M

As some have said, MS pays fees to hundreds of publishers to put their games on Game Pass. Also let's say it is 45m. Is that good? I would bet the budget for the game itself is more than that. I would also say the marketing during Sunday Night Football alone is a fortune (also they were playing the ad during regular football on Thursday/Sunday). So we really don't know what the deal is or if this is a good number. I suspect IT IS, but again we have no clue.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
There are hundreds of games on Gamepass from many publishers and developers. MS doesn't get to keep 100% of the fees. They have to turn around and give most of that money to third parties. It is very much an open question as to whether the Gamepass model is sustainable long term.
Why is long term sustainability of Game Pass relevant on the first week unique users of a new game, without even knowing the sales?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I guess with constant offers on Game Pass, it means many players with just keep playing Gears 5 because it's a great game and they did not drop £60 just to play. Many will probably jump in and out of the game as content appears, which should keep the user base stable.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda wanna pay the £2 or whatever to play it.. but i don't think my PC could even run it lol :(

BradGrenz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is long term sustainability of Game Pass relevant on the first week unique users of a new game, without even knowing the sales?

Well, it's obvious that Microsoft wants to present Gears 5 as a big "success" but the metrics they are using mean something very different because of GamePass than they would for a traditional launch. Their attempt to disrupt the market could have widespread consequences, so it would be good to know if the tactics they are using is even financially sound.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
3 million players, 10k on Steam - that's insanity.

GamePass FTW - I wonder how many just on PC.