• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Look how focused on the numbers you are! Really engaged stakeholder I see! Very cool to see you posture again and again about the "numbers" for "business discussions".

I think it's great to see so much positive engagement from fans on how well Gamepass is doing. Keep it up!
Yes, because I am interested in a different metric than you. That's not a positive or negative thing. I like to read and discuss this stuff ON TOP OF playing games. No reason to take it as a slight against the game, or MS.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Exactly, and its why this number is meaningless and mostly PR fluff.

I know, they are releasing it as PR to sound good. that's why game sales were nice from NPD, as those were easy to evaluate.

They are releasing this PR to highlight a success for one of the hard work put in by their development teams and to thank their fans for helping them achieve 3 million players in this time-frame. Stop being so cynical about every freaking thing.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
User Banned (2 week): console warring, antagonizing members, history of prior infractions
Yes, because I am interested in a different metric than you. That's not a positive or negative thing. I like to read and discuss this stuff ON TOP OF playing games. No reason to take it as a slight against the game, or MS.

100%.

You're definitely driving engagement in this thread so good stuff on your part!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, that's the only thing that matters to some. There are many others here that also like to discuss the industry at large, and that also matters when this forum is made up of gamers and industry professionals. Just because some only care about "whats good for the consumer" doesn't mean others aren't interested in the buiseness side.

Completely over defensive. "OH NO X person isn't gushing over the number of people playing a game and is looking at it critically/in a business sense they must be a console warrior/troll!"

But they didn't give "new sub" numbers. That's why its mostly useless. If they already had 3 million subs, and this didn't cause any new sign ups, that wouldn't be good, correct?

"players", and not subs, or new subs, etc, IS mostly a useless number. I don't need to be a exec/shareholder to care or want to see. that's why physical sales were so nice. It was MUCH easier to see how a game did, relative to other games.

I know, they are releasing it as PR to sound good. that's why game sales were nice from NPD, as those were easy to evaluate.
Again, you are upset that it's not answering the question you're asking, but the information they provided is not useless. You just do not know how to analyze it appropriately.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
MS will probably never release subscription numbers because it could box them in a corner in future reporting. Same reason why World of Warcraft doesn't release their sub numbers anymore or why Apple no longer reports Iphone units sold. They will probably give a statement stating tens of millions of subscribers soon.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

The best post in this thread.

I find it meaningless personally. If there were 3 millions sub's already, and this didn't create ANY new subs, that wouldn't be very good would it?
Nah, it would still be good...retention matters.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
This forum has a bad habit where if a company doesn't share every financial detail the product must be a failure even if positive news is reported. This has come to bite many wanna be arm chair analysis's in the ass this gen and yet they don't clue in that sales age and the measure of success has changed. Not sure if it's due to old habits dying hard or the desire to have ammo for console wars but it's getting embarrassing seeing some people looking for a reason to shit up every thread.

Sep 14, 2019
The primary concern I have about this model becoming the new standard is that it won't necessarily lead to better first party efforts. Quantity may become more important than quality. On the other hand having a more steady revenue model might make MS (and any others who follow suit) more comfortable allocating massive budgets to tentpole titles. I don't know. Is there a reason to have tentpole titles if you just get everything lumped together in a subscription?
That could be both a good and bad thing in fairness. It could be bad like you said, it could also be good because game developers might be able to make more niche products with higher production value and post-launch support. The market might possibly be making worse games now by trying to cater to as big a market as possible. That might be able to change with Gamepass.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I've been absolutely loving the game, so this seems well-deserved. Currently, Gears 5 is in my top-3 running for favorite game of the year, and this has been a VERY good year.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's not really a massive shock that one of Microsofts flagship I.P's is doing well but congrats to them.

I'm looking forward to picking up the next gen Xbox to play these all again someday.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Again, you are upset that it's not answering the question you're asking, but the information they provided is not useless. You just do not know how to analyze it appropriately.

I would say it could be analyzed if you had historical context, but since this is a new method of providing data, its harder to draw any good conclusions about it.

Nah, it would still be good...retention matters.

I full agree retention matters once you hit a certain level. However, since we don't know how many current subs there are, and this is still a new service, than I would think new subs would be a much more meaningful statistic.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Theres a lot of people wanting ms to share a lot of info.

Do we get all the info of exact marketing budgets per title and exact sales figures from other companies?

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
Good for MS, but numbers are indeed very mundane of you think about two things:
1. Game is actually not very hot on Twitch, G5 pulling SoT numbers at this exact moment. Yeah, there's Ninja and Mixer deal, but you could expect a little bit more from a MP-focused title during it's first week. I think it sheds some light on GP's retention and user time spending with a single title.
2. Gears 5 is not hot on Steam either ATM (and the pricing was great in regions, it was like $20 here in Russia). Current G5 CCU is sittin' between For Honor and Dying Light at the lowest end of the Top-100. Considering that WinStore is kinda dead on PC, I wouldn't call the game a resounding PC success either.

Yeah, Game is great, loved it. But don't read into this statement too much either, becuse several relevant data points are telling us that Gears 5 isn't exactly setting the world on fire 1 week after the launch. Maybe It's a huge win for Game Pass, maybe MS is happy, but Halo 4 was equally successful on one platform (X360) for 60 bucks payed upfront.

~Millet~

Jan 21, 2019
No, that's the only thing that matters to some. There are many others here that also like to discuss the industry at large, and that also matters when this forum is made up of gamers and industry professionals. Just because some only care about "whats good for the consumer" doesn't mean others aren't interested in the buiseness side.

Completely over defensive. "OH NO X person isn't gushing over the number of people playing a game and is looking at it critically/in a business sense they must be a console warrior/troll!"

But they didn't give "new sub" numbers. That's why its mostly useless. If they already had 3 million subs, and this didn't cause any new sign ups, that wouldn't be good, correct?

"players", and not subs, or new subs, etc, IS mostly a useless number. I don't need to be a exec/shareholder to care or want to see. that's why physical sales were so nice. It was MUCH easier to see how a game did, relative to other games.

This.

Oct 25, 2017

It's cool you're interested in the business side and you would like additional metrics. I think the real issue people have is calling the player count metric meaningless. If you're truly interested in the business of video games, that metric is far from meaningless. So you're, rightly or wrongly, coming off as extremely disingenuous.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Get as many people subbed as possible?

Yeah, that's the obvious path. But they won't recoup the lost sales that way. More subs will lead to more cannibalization and more expensive fees for third party games.
Gamepass is way to cheap for that, and once they raise they price people could jump off since they are used to a way lower reference price.

Yeah, I can definitely see how they would be "shocked" by Gears 5 when they marketed the heck out of it for Game Pass, smh. I can just imagine them sitting around saying let's really push hard for Game Pass everywhere and still expect that people will decide to just buy the game instead of playing it on Game Pass, just wow. That would be banking on having your marketing fail for Game Pass at that point basically.
LOL - yeah I'm sure that was a real "WTF" moment at MS HQ.

I don't get the reason for the snark in your comments.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
Game scored very well. Lots of players accessing the title. Gamepass doing very well ergo MS continuing to promote and support the service while expanding access.

All good things.

Sometimes you just gotta be happy for things going well so "we" gamers can enjoy our hobby without trying to nitpick little insignificant details.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Theres a lot of people wanting ms to share a lot of info.

Do we get all the info of exact marketing budgets per title and exact sales figures from other companies?
No, but we generally have a good idea of a typical budget for a AAA game. So even if we don't have exact numbers, we know how physical sales can break out when it comes to what % goes to the publisher, the retail store, licensing, etc. So we can have a good idea of profit vs costs even if not exact.

1. Game is actually not very hot on Twitch, G5 pulling SoT numbers at this exact moment. Yeah, there's Ninja and Mixer deal, but you could expect a little bit more from a MP-focused title during it's first week. I think it sheds some light on GP's retention and user time spending with a single title.
2. Gears 5 is not hot on Steam either AT (and the pricing was great in regions, it was like $20 here in Russia). Current G5 CCU is sittin' between For Honor and Dying Light at the lowest end of the Top-100. Considering that WinStore is kinda dead on PC, I wouldn't call the game a resounding PC success either.

Yeah, Game is great, loved it. But don't read into this statement too much either, becuse several relevant data point's are telling us that Gears 5 isn't exactly setting whe world on fire 1 week after the launch. Maybe It's a huge win for Game Pass, maybe MS is happy, but Halo 4 was equally successful on one platform (X360) for 60 bucks payed upfront.
Logical way to view it. Player retention and streaming numbers also can be used with this to see how successful it is and how interest is playing out.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
At least someone agrees lol.
It's cool you're interested in the business side and you would like additional metrics. I think the real issue people have is calling the player count metric meaningless. If you're truly interested in the business of video games, that metric is far from meaningless. So you're, rightly or wrongly, coming off as extremely disingenuous.
Ok, I will say that maybe "completely meaningless" was going too far. As it can be used. It just cant be used very well because there isn't much historical context to compare it to as this is a "new world" of gauging game interest, and there isn't enough data to try to compare it to how things used to be judged, which is physical sales.

The 3 million definitely shows there is a lot of interest in the game and has gotten people to take a look at it. How that converts to if it was a financially sound business model or success is something that cant really be taken from that number.

Oct 25, 2017
With mtx and loot boxes, I'm not sure if that's the best goal

There's no loot boxes in Gears 5 though

2. Gears 5 is not hot on Steam either ATM (and the pricing was great in regions, it was like $20 here in Russia). Current G5 CCU is sittin' between For Honor and Dying Light at the lowest end of the Top-100. Considering that WinStore is kinda dead on PC, I wouldn't call the game a resounding PC success either.

Yeah, Game is great, loved it. But don't read into this statement too much either, becuse several relevant data points are telling us that Gears 5 isn't exactly setting the world on fire 1 week after the launch. Maybe It's a huge win for Game Pass, maybe MS is happy, but Halo 4 was equally successful on one platform (X360) for 60 bucks payed upfront.

this thread is getting embarrassing

Oct 27, 2017
Forza horizon 4 crossed 12 mill players and has 4 mill monthly active players. If Gears 5 can get to the point where it has 5 mill monthly players 6+ months after release, clearly that would be a sign that people are still signed up to gamepass and using it to continually play the game

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Which is always why the sub numbers are more important than "number of players", a number they don't provide. And I am guessing MS didn't create this game just to retain users when the service is so new. If they had 3 million subs leading into this, and this created no new subs, I doubt they are happy.

Retention is super important. You need to stop moving the goal posts. You said these numbers are meaningless and I'm showing they are not with a concrete example of why they would still be meaningful. Now you're saying you're only interested in how many subs this game added which isn't really what the thread is about. Maybe wait for MS's next financial report to start discussing those kinds of things?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
I would say it could be analyzed if you had historical context, but since this is a new method of providing data, its harder to draw any good conclusions about it.

I full agree retention matters once you hit a certain level. However, since we don't know how many current subs there are, and this is still a new service, than I would think new subs would be a much more meaningful statistic.
You can't say what a certain level when retention matters at every level. This service is "new"...it's been 2 years. New subs is meaningful yes but it's just a piece of the puzzle. I can have 10m new subs but if I lost 20m, no one is going to give a fuck that I gained 10m. The fact of the matter is that we will never have the entire picture even with the sub count. There's too many moving parts from the Xbox business to say that a game is successful or not from the outside. No company gives every single statistic that they have. Not saying MS should or shouldn't give out specific numbers but looking at stuff like sales...it's a small metric for MS in terms what their business model is. What we do know is that it's multimillion subs...and that Gears 5 launch brought in a record number of subs to the service. No, we don't know that number but what we can infer is that Gears brought in new customers to their service and that is a good thing for their business. This will continue as Microsoft is in a transitional state of their business in which they are trying to convert users over to their new business model while still supporting the old. This is exactly what Microsoft did with Office 365 and Office. Microsoft doesn't even talk about sales, they do talk about subscription numbers but they didn't always talk about it. It was more at a state where it made sense to report (and they kept reporting on it, even if it lost customers). Game Pass is just like that. So the numbers you are personally looking forward to are gone and asking for it won't happen as Microsoft as a whole is moving towards a subscription model for their services. This will continue with Xbox.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Retention is super important. You need to stop moving the goal posts. You said these numbers are meaningless and I'm showing they are not with a concrete example of why they would still be meaningful. Now you're saying you're only interested in how many subs this game added which isn't really what the thread is about. Maybe wait for MS's next financial report to start discussing those kinds of things?
I will admit that I shouldn't have said "meaningless". I could have worded that better. Pretty sure ive been saying since the beginning of jumping into this thread that sub numbers are much more important.

ShaiKhulud

Oct 27, 2017
Kazan, Russia
this thread is getting embarrassing
Because what, I just speak some factual open data? Nice way of supporting the discussion. PRAISE THE NUMBERS OR YOU'RE TROLLING.
(Which is even more funny, considering that I've bought the game on Steam and liked it a lot)

But I love how every post with a slight amount of critical thinking is considered trolling or being salty, guys.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
You can't say what a certain level when retention matters at every level. This service is "new"...it's been 2 years. New subs is meaningful yes but it's just a piece of the puzzle. I can have 10m new subs but if I lost 20m, no one is going to give a fuck that I gained 10m. The fact of the matter is that we will never have the entire picture even with the sub count. There's too many moving parts from the Xbox business to say that a game is successful or not from the outside. No company gives every single statistic that they have. Not saying MS should or shouldn't give out specific numbers but looking at stuff like sales...it's a small metric for MS in terms what their business model is. What we do know is that it's multimillion subs...and that Gears 5 launch brought in a record number of subs to the service. No, we don't know that number but what we can infer is that Gears brought in new customers to their service and that is a good thing for their business. This will continue as Microsoft is in a transitional state of their business in which they are trying to convert users over to their new business model while still supporting the old. This is exactly what Microsoft did with Office 365 and Office. Microsoft doesn't even talk about sales, they do talk about subscription numbers but they didn't always talk about it. It was more at a state where it made sense to report (and they kept reporting on it, even if it lost customers). Game Pass is just like that. So the numbers you are personally looking forward to are gone and asking for it won't happen as Microsoft as a whole is moving towards a subscription model for their services. This will continue with Xbox.
I agree its hard to judge the success anymore without a LOT of extra data. Which was the entire point of my initial post. And maybe I missed it, and I apologize if I have, but they didn't state how many new subs it brought to the service. "record number" isn't very telling unless we knew the prior record holder.

In general I agree with most of your post, and that going forward it is going to be very difficult to judge the success/failure of a game in subscription services.

Also, to be fair, never once did I argue that these were good OR bad numbers. Just that they weren't very telling. That was the entire point of my post.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Thread seems to be going about as well as expected.

It'll probably be a few more years yet before internet forum posters are able to wrap their minds around the concept of selling a service. You know, that thing that Microsoft started transitioning to around the beginning of the Nadella/Spencer era and has seen their market valuation triple in the last 5 years.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Because what, I just speak some factual open data? Nice way of supporting the discussion. PRAISE THE NUMBERS OR YOU'RE TROLLING.
(Which is even more funny, considering that I've bought the game on Steam and liked it a lot)

But I love how every post with a slight amount of critical thinking is considered trolling or being salty, guys.
Right! Either praise the numbers or get called a console warrior/trolling. I haven't even ever said they were bad or good, and I'm getting dog piled on. The people who are inferring we are just console warriors are acting more like it than we are.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There are some weird ass takes in this thread. Why downplay the success of gamepass? Considering how good a deal it is right now, I hope it does really well with hope that it keeps being such a great deal.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
It is the first Gears game that got me interested and hooked right away. For some reason it runs better than Gears 4 (I blame the Windows store version; according to Reddit they somehow messed with it later after a Windows update or something, that somehow screwed with some UWP games), it looks way better and the start is just like cool, playable action movie. Really like it so far.

They need to fix some issues though before I'll continue to play it. But seeing the subscription of Game Pass ending I doubt they'll manage to do that within a few days. Good thing is I could jump back in anytime at such a low price for Game Pass.