• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved! The game's been amazing, and it's awesome to see that quality rewarded!

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Enough beating around the bush. I want to see sales numbers. I'm happy that what appears to be a great game is doing well, but if you want to play with the big boys, it's time to stop using "alternate" statistics.

Simple solution: Gears of War 5 sold ______.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. If theyre focusing on games pass now instead of regular sales, maybe release the subscriber count and show how much the games pass subscriber count bumped up because of this game? The current PR is very vague.

Ask them to do it if your so concerned about it. They have a twitter account.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Microsoft prefers a stable income with subscriptions than a maximum income of 2 bestsellers per year, which is what the competition usually has. Today it may not be earning so much, but as soon as it has more than ten million subscribers it will.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
So double the week-one userbase (vs Gears 4) at ___ the total week-one revenue.

Where ___ is ... a half? A quarter? A sixth? Less?

That's the gap this model needs to bridge to be independently viable - and recommendable to publishers - for 'big' games in general vs continuing to prioritise unit sales. Of course the intention with a model like this is to bridge that gap with recurring revenue over time, but it seems like it might be a tall order for the moment (?) Attribution would get murkier past the first month, or two also ... and after other big games are released on the service.

Maybe in time a model like this can drive volumes to match the directly attributable revenues of large unit-sale hits, though - obviously models like this are in their infancy. But it's interesting to think where the pipe will ultimately have to scale to, in terms of subscriber reach, to provide a pie as big as the unit sale model.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not 3 million in $1 subscriptions. People bought two or more years of XBL (at around, say $120) and converted that to gamepass ultimate. They also got some game sales on steam and windows store. The prices for some cosmetics are at Fortnite levels, so I expect some gamepass owners to easily shell out $25-$50 over time for these. Revenue will likely be just fine.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game. Feels wrong that I only paid $2 to play it.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Anyone saying these metrics are not directly comparable to other more traditional metrics like "sales numbers" are absolutely right.

However those who then go on to think or imply this isn't a success are missing the big picture, IMO.

A well paced stream of releases like these, with smaller third party games between them, is what gets someone to subscribe to Game Pass or Game Pass Ultimate for the long haul. And a release like this with a 1 or 2 dollars/euros/whatever promotion is what gets them to bite.

I don't think there'll be enough content in the short term to justify a lot of full price subs on PC (probably not until after Halo Infinite at least), but on Xbox One the service is already there.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Awesome. It's a great game (of what I played until Borderlands 3 grabbed me). Going right back to it after.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Enough beating around the bush. I want to see sales numbers. I'm happy that what appears to be a great game is doing well, but if you want to play with the big boys, it's time to stop using "alternate" statistics.

If it was that simple I'd agree with you, but you know it's not.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It's not 3 million in $1 subscriptions. People bought two or more years of XBL (at around, say $120) and converted that to gamepass ultimate. They also got some game sales on steam and windows store. The prices for some cosmetics are at Fortnite levels, so I expect some gamepass owners to easily shell out $25-$50 over time for these. Revenue will likely be just fine.

THIS X 100! A very large hidden revenue thing here that I guarantee they have the data on is how many people (myself included on two different Game Pass accounts in my family) "paid forward" for Xbox Live to get Game Pass Ultimate extended for multiple years. That is revenue "in hand" for Xbox now instead of "possible revenue" in the future which I assume has some tangible business term for it too, but I will go with "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" here :)

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Xbox: Please play this game on gamepass. We are begging you to play it on gamepass? Not convinced? We're going to put gamepass in every single piece of marketing for the game. Still not convinced? We are going to sell gamepass for a dollar a month a week before the game comes out.

Era: So how bout them physical sales? What is MS hiding?

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
True, but unless someone really cares about corporate crap then as a video gamer Xbox Game Pass is hands down the most amazing thing to happen for gamers this generation and going into next generation IMO. Let the trillion dollar company worry about their models and such, but I will be playing Gears 5 and then Outer Worlds on Game Pass next month :)

Exactly.

The only metric that I care about is whether MS is pleased enough to continue with this great experiment.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Probably asked somewhere before, does it directly continue the story from 4 ? I have 4 but never got around to playing it and wanted to know if I can just jump into 5.

Yes, it's a direct continuation of the story from 4. I would personally recommend playing it because it's a great game a you get to know the characters. It'll take about 6-8 hours depending on the difficulty you pick. If you really don't want to play through it 5 starts with a "Previously in Gears" cutscene that goes over the basic plot of 4 to get you up to speed.

Playing 4 will still get you more invested in the main characters though that you don't get from a 1 minute summary.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Every fucking thread has to dissolve into console-war bullshit?

Jesus, I'm sick of this shit....some of you just love to fucking kill this hobby, don't you?

May 10, 2019
giphy.gif

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
"since Halo 4"

Man, puts things in perspective. Xbox had nothing for 7 years until now, basically.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Everyone is going to talk about how "the sales are bad" but I think Microsoft got a big win here. The gamepass deal got a lot of people to try Gears 5 which had some lack of interest due to franchise fatigue and an "ok" previous entry and overall the buzz has been mostly positive, and they also got tons of new gamepass subscribers. Even if a lot cancel I am will to bet quite a few will stick around.

chezzymann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain to me how saying gears 5 has 3 million players is spin.
I mean, its $2 to play the game. And some people might have subscribed for something else, checked gears out for 5 minutes, and then never touched it again. Its not enough info to really know if the game was a big hit or not. Of course the company that made it would say it was.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
My GOTY so far. Also possibly my favorite in the Gears franchise, though I've not yet completed it or dived into MP.

The Coalition are def one of Xbox's star studios.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017

You're joking right?

MS is playing their own game. It has been this way for a while....

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Microsoft prefers a stable income with subscriptions than a maximum income of 2 bestsellers per year, which is what the competition usually has. Today it may not be earning so much, but as soon as it has more than ten million subscribers it will.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of those "maximum of 2 bestsellers a year" are still charting high over a year after their release.
Meaning that they've been bringing in continuous revenue since their release.
Isn't that still better than a 1 dollars/month service ?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I mean, its $2 to play the game. And some people might have subscribed for something else, checked gears out for 5 minutes, and then never touched it again. Its not enough info to really know if the game was a big hit or not. Of course the company that made it would say it was.

You could say that for literally any PR release of a game. It doesn't matter if it's for a 60 dollar game or gamepass. 3 million is 3 million. It also had the most playtime of any game over the weekend, beating out FortNite

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
These stats are pretty meaningless anymore when you can play it for effectively a few dollars and then drop it if you don't want it.

You could also say "X Demo that was available on X Service had 2million players!". It really just means people checked it out at launch, and really nothing more than that.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yep, Im no suprised, even I purchased the gamepass and im currently going through GoW4 before playing GoW5

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Why would MS do that? Probably over half of the people are playing via Game Pass. That's what's most important to them.

Who cares about the sales at this point. It's about the whole picture. Engagement, reach, etc.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to TC, its a truly incredible feat. The game is a technical powerhouse. The campaign is tied with 2 as the best campaign in the series and one of the better TPS campaigns I've played to date. I suck at Gears MP but they actually made me interested with Arcade and I hear nothing but awesome things about Escape and Horde this time around.

Nice to see developers coming in and congratulating fellow developers and recognizing hard work and talent....

...and the usual users trying their very damnedest to downplay it.

3mill in a week is excellent and will surely drive revenue with cosmetics, XBL subs, etc. As long as your eyeing MS's marketplace, its surely beneficial for MS in the long run. Gamepass is just too good and itll keep on rolling with this rumored lineup for October thats supposed to be bomb among Outer Worlds too.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
You could say that for literally any PR release of a game. It doesn't matter if it's for a 60 dollar game or gamepass. 3 million is 3 million. It also had the most playtime of any game over the weekend, beating out FortNite
Uhm… yes it does? 3 million full game sales is a MUCH different metric than just 3 million "users" when you are almost giving the game away for free.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Lots of concern in here, Microsoft should be amused they have a lot of concerned people in whether they can keep their trillionaire business alive or not lmao

Anyway, congrats to Coalition and MS, game is a home run and currently my GOTY

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Xbox: Please play this game on gamepass. We are begging you to play it on gamepass? Not convinced? We're going to put gamepass in every single piece of marketing for the game. Still not convinced? We are going to sell gamepass for a dollar a month a week before the game comes out.

Era: So how bout them physical sales? What is MS hiding?

It's not about physical sales, I just think that the players number should be higher. Many games sell 3 million or more in their first weekend at $60, so with GP it should be a lot more.

Maybe it means that GP increases players with time, as someone mentioned that happened with Forza.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Uhm… yes it does? 3 million full game sales is a MUCH different metric than just 3 million "users" when you are almost giving the game away for free.

That's why Fortnite is such a failure they have to literally give it away for free. When is Epic going to learn you can't make money from doing that? Show us the Fortnite sales!

Isn't that still better than a 1 dollars/month service ?

It doesn't cost 1 dollar beyond your first or second month.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
2034, Game Pass has 20 milion subscribers, Gears 9 launches, hits 6 milion players in its first week

Era: "Yeah ok, but how many copies it sold?"

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the players that 'doesn't count'--no interest in the franchise before, not a fan of shooters in general (I can't aim, it's a problem, I'm playing on Beginner to just see the world/story), only installed it because I had GamePass anyway and the reviews have been strong.

I played through Act I last night and had an alright time; depending on how the next two acts go this might have put Gears in my list of series to play going forward, which I think makes it a win for MS. It's not $60 in their pocket now, but it's a shot at more of my money in the future that they'd have never gotten otherwise and makes me more likely to remain subbed to GamePass for more experiences like this. GamePass' long-term viability is going to have a lot to do with how people react going forward, but at least personally it seems like it's working.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
That's a tidy $6m for MS. Well done!!

Doesn't it require gamers to play for one hour to count in the total player numbers? I vaguely recall someone mentioning that on here.

Hace

Sep 21, 2018
So double the week-one userbase (vs Gears 4) at ___ the total week-one revenue.

Where ___ is ... a half? A quarter? A sixth? Less?

That's the gap this model needs to bridge to be independently viable - and recommendable to publishers - for 'big' games in general vs continuing to prioritise unit sales. Of course the intention with a model like this is to bridge that gap with recurring revenue over time, but it seems like it might be a tall order for the moment (?) Attribution would get murkier past the first month, or two also ... and after other big games are released on the service.

Maybe in time a model like this can drive volumes to match the directly attributable revenues of large unit-sale hits, though - obviously models like this are in their infancy. But it's interesting to think where the pipe will ultimately have to scale to, in terms of subscriber reach, to provide a pie as big as the unit sale model.
The trick is that the never reveal revenue and will only quote subscriber numbers to investors. The WWE does this, even when putting their subs on constant fire sales or even free subscription period.

It's a model that's great at making you look succesful, profitability be damned.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
User Banned (1 month): trolling over a series of posts, history of similar infractions
Give it for free and you''ll have even more players.