• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was a pretty good detailed vid about the differences and improvements from Gamingbolt
One error tho. Steam version doesnt require W10. W7 can also be used

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wait what, the previous games didn't have motion captured characters or cutscenes? Didn't realise that.

In any case, I think most of the things listed are really minor changes or more service orientated instead (microtransactions, Steam, Game Pass etc). For example, stuff like health bars, new difficulty modes, different colour palettes (the last few Gears have already really mixed things up on that front) etc.

Yet to see any more details about the open world like elements besides 1-3 second vehicle snippets from trailers, so still waiting to learn more on that, but that's the one I'm by far most excited about or that seems like a genuinely compelling design change.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what, the previous games didn't have motion captured characters or cutscenes? Didn't realise that.

In any case, I think most of the things listed are really minor changes or more service orientated instead (microtransactions, Steam, Game Pass etc). For example, stuff like health bars, new difficulty modes, different colour palettes (the last few Gears have already really mixed things up on that front) etc.

Yet to see any more details about the open world like elements besides 1-3 second vehicle snippets from trailers, so still waiting to learn more on that, but that's the one I'm by far most excited about or that seems like a genuinely compelling design change.
Performance capture, not motion capture. Previous games had mocapped cutscenes but the faces were done by hand like Uncharted 1-3. Performance capture is when they record the body as well as the face at the same time, which is what they're doing in Gears 5.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017

Didn't Morgoth Bauglir say that there's only one hub and the campaign is still pretty linear? Players can't return to the hub after they leave, but I can't find the posts now.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty stoked I'm gonna get to play this game (and Outer Worlds) for free with Windows Game Pass. Got 3 months free for buyin an AMD processor :)

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Performance capture, not motion capture. Previous games had mocapped cutscenes but the faces were done by hand like Uncharted 1-3. Performance capture is when they record the body as well as the face at the same time, which is what they're doing in Gears 5.

I see, thanks for the clarification.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
Gears 4 had a great campaign...
Yep, may not have been what most were expecting and the overall world building could've used a little more time but it definitely did what it was made to do. Can only imagine that the campaign would've suffered from what was likely a pretty rushed dev cycle, since they had less than 3 full years to create their pipelines and assets from scratch as well as release Gears UE during that time.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
RE: Gears 4 campaign

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/gears-of-war-4/critic-reviews

I think people forget that Gears of War 4 had an 84% metacritic score, with only a handful of outlier reviews dragging it down.
How is that going to change the mind of someone who thought the campaign was poor? "I hated Gears 4, what's that? 84%? I forgot that metacritic score, I must have liked it, then"

I just played through it this week, it was okay. Inoffensive. Probably my least enjoyed campaign (I kind of really liked Judgement in spite of how non-essential it was). Kind of felt Gears needed a stronger reboot of sorts personally.

Interested to see what they do with Gears 5 since I have Gamepass. I doubt I'd be playing it without it however (but hey, nothing wrong with it adding value to MS's super good subscription service).

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
i skipped gears 4 when it came out but it was one of the first things I played all the way through on Game Pass and really enjoyed it so Gears 5 is something i'm looking to play Day 1 (or if its 4 days on GP early is it Day -4?)

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is that going to change the mind of someone who thought the campaign was poor? "I hated Gears 4, what's that? 84%? I forgot that metacritic score, I must have liked it, then"

I just played through it this week, it was okay. Inoffensive. Probably my least enjoyed campaign (I kind of really liked Judgement in spite of how non-essential it was). Kind of felt Gears needed a stronger reboot of sorts personally.

Interested to see what they do with Gears 5 since I have Gamepass. I doubt I'd be playing it without it however (but hey, nothing wrong with it adding value to MS's super good subscription service).
Judgement was as boring and bland as it gets. Kait and the character arcs we're good if predicted.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Judgement was as boring and bland as it gets. Kait and the character arcs we're good if predicted.
I think it was those challenge stages that carried Judgement for me, it was a nice spin at the time.

Anyway, you're right I certainly feel they've got a potentially strong character to build around with Kait. Glad she seems to be the focus and not the mega-generic JD.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Gears 4 campaign was fine indeed. However they played it very safe and 5 seems to change that, which I like. If there's one thing I really didn't like it was the horde parts. That really wasn't necessary and I hope 5 doesn't have it.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
It's fucking crazy that this runs at native 4k/60 on X. It's basically God of War level graphics at a higher res and framerate. Insane.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Gears 4 campaign WAS trash. Half the game in a same-y looking mining complex as the "characters" crack jokes constantly in the face of imminent death. It was terrible.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 4 campaign is probably my favorite of them all. I played 1-3 back to back before it and 4 stood out as the most fun and the one with the best set of characters too. Also, it helps that they kinda moved on from that color palette from the 360 era

It doesnt they said.

that's great to hear, its probably my least favorite part of the campaign

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
i liked Gears 4 campaign. One of the things I didn't like was the group interactions, compared to Delta squad. Del and JD are pretty dull characters, and the "jokes" were far from funny at any point. I'm so glad they put Kait in the front of this one, it should be a fun ride.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I actually had a lot of fun with the Gears 4 campaign. The first part was a little disappointing with the deebee's. And it ended quite abruptly.

But most of it was really engaging. Looking forward to the campaign of 5. Hope they don't make it to open and long. I prefer my campaigns tight and short.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 4 has a pretty rough first act but once you get to Marcus it's pretty consistently good the rest of the way through. They played it safe for that game but it was very much an intentional decision.

5 looks to be taking some more risks and I'm pretty pumped to play it.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Here's what's mental about Gears 5 and the Coalition: the timeline of this studio's stewardship of the franchise is a tale of absurd productivity for a studio still relatively new to the AAA game.
  1. Microsoft acquired the rights to Gears in January, 2014. Fergusson joined the team shortly thereafter.
  2. The studio put aside their original AAA game that they had been working on and then went and remade Gears of War 1 as their "bootcamp" leading up to Gears 4. That project took around 18 months with Gears 1 UE releasing in August, 2015.
  3. A year and change later they put out their first full AAA game in Gears 4, releasing in October, 2016.That's less than 3 years from working on a new IP, to remaking a AAA game and then putting out a AAA sequel with an 8-9 hour campaign, a Versus mode for PvP and Horde mode for PvE, and then supporting it with tons of DLC for years after launch.
  4. Development on Gears 5 presumably began before 4 even shipped, so now the Coalition has had 3 full years and valuable experience to work on Gears 5, which I expect to be the best in the series across the board.
if you don't count the remake of Gears 1, then Gears 5 is only their second AAA game, and it looks to be absolutely stacked with content with: 2 PvP modes in Versus and Arcade for classic and new gameplay; 2 PvE mode in Horde and Escape with similar hero characters to Arcade but different abilities; a map builder for both PvE modes; server browsers and a PC experience built from the ground up with all the bells and whistles PC gamers like myself could ask for.

Coalition is a top tier studio in this industry. That cannot be denied. I put them up there with the best studios this industry have to offer and I think the time has come for them to have that recognition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, may not have been what most were expecting and the overall world building could've used a little more time but it definitely did what it was made to do. Can only imagine that the campaign would've suffered from what was likely a pretty rushed dev cycle, since they had less than 3 full years to create their pipelines and assets from scratch as well as release Gears UE during that time.
Not sure what was rushed about Gears 4. The complete package and quality is great. The story was more a "night in the woods' but that was all intended.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
If you didnt like the Gears 4 campaign I can only assume you dont like Gears campaigns in general

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Here's what's mental about Gears 5 and the Coalition: the timeline of this studio's stewardship of the franchise is a tale of absurd productivity for a studio still relatively new to the AAA game.
  1. Microsoft acquired the rights to Gears in January, 2014. Fergusson joined the team shortly thereafter.
  2. The studio put aside their original AAA game that they had been working on and then went and remade Gears of War 1 as their "bootcamp" leading up to Gears 4. That project took around 18 months with Gears 1 UE releasing in August, 2015.
  3. A year and change later they put their first full AAA game in Gears 4, releasing in October, 2016.That's less than 3 years from working on a new IP, to remaking a AAA game and then putting out a AAA sequel with an 8-9 hour campaign, a Versus mode for PvP and Horde mode for PvE, and then supporting it with tons of DLC for years after launch.
  4. Development on Gears 5 presumably began before 4 even shipped, so now the Coalition has had 3 full years and valuable experience to work on Gears 5, which I expect to be the best in the series across the board.
if you don't count the remake of Gears 1, then Gears 5 is only their second AAA game, and it looks to be absolutely stacked with content with: 2 PvP modes in Versus and Arcade for classic and new gameplay; 2 PvE mode in Horde and Escape with similar hero characters to Arcade but different abilities; a map builder for both PvE modes; server browsers and a PC experience built from the ground up with all the bells and whistles PC gamers like myself could ask for.

Coalition is a top tier studio in this industry. That cannot be denied. I put them up there with the best studios this industry have to offer and I think the time has come for them to have that recognition.
I completely agree, great post.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
  3. A year and change later they put their first full AAA game in Gears 4, releasing in October, 2016.That's less than 3 years from working on a new IP, to remaking a AAA game and then putting out a AAA sequel with an 8-9 hour campaign, a Versus mode for PvP and Horde mode for PvE, and then supporting it with tons of DLC for years after launch.

This is a great post and we should all agree Rod is god however he also tweeted recently that Gears 5 took 2.5 years so not sure how came to that timeframe but i'll take his word for it.

Gears games have been packed with content since they added Horde in Gears 2 (and the original was no slouch either for its time)

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I don't think people post scores to change people's mind about a game, rather to highlight how hyperbolic some opinions are. When someone says that the campaign can't possibly be worse than Gears 4's, the implication is that it was absolutely awful, where that simply isn't the case. Perhaps it wasn't as good as the other mainline releases, but it was still mostly solid, and the review aggregate highlights that.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
This is a great post and we should all agree Rod is god however he also tweeted recently that Gears 5 took 2.5 years so not sure how came to that timeframe but i'll take his word for it.

Gears games have been packed with content since they added Horde in Gears 2 (and the original was no slouch either for its time)

Maybe he meant they had 2.5 years of full production?

Gears 5 taking just 3 years seems really short as it is, even with support studios on it, which I'm sure they have a bunch of working on Gears 5.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't watch the video. Probably a dumb question but does the Steam version play with Xbox/Windows Store players as well or does it have its own separate players

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I can't watch the video. Probably a dumb question but does the Steam version play with Xbox/Windows Store players as well or does it have its own separate players
It has crossplay with W10 and Xbox for everything.
Only for Ranked Versus. Xbox users have a option to opt out if they want.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
One huge pool of players.

X1 players will have the choice between playing with W10/Steam players or not for ranked mode.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think people post scores to change people's mind about a game, rather to highlight how hyperbolic some opinions are. When someone says that the campaign can't possibly be worse than Gears 4's, the implication is that it was absolutely awful, where that simply isn't the case. Perhaps it wasn't as good as the other mainline releases, but it was still mostly solid, and the review aggregate highlights that.
Indeed. The game has 100 reviews and like 91 are postive and 9 are mixed.

srylain

Jun 15, 2018
Not sure what was rushed about Gears 4. The complete package and quality is great. The story was more a "night in the woods' but that was all intended.
By 'rushed', I'm just meaning that with another half year to a year they could've done more with it and expanded the scope of it. Instead it was likely rushed due to the other work going on at the studio, which isn't bad or anything as they limited the scope to what was possible given their time frame. I'm just expecting Gears 5 to be bigger in every way given that they already had a working framework and pipelines instead of needing to create those from scratch and create a new game.

Alyssa

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
Wait I'm a bit confused, so I need a xbox account to play the game on the Steam? So every achievement will pop-up twice (steam & xbox) ?