• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The thread title and article don't match, that's a real leap from what he actually says. There was some influence from God of War in how they did the visual cues in the environment, is pretty much it.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
We really have to do better than the tabloid style headlines

As we know nobody reads the OP ever

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

This has been mentioned more than once by the developers. I'm not sure what drama there should be.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
We really have to do better than the tabloid style headlines

As we know nobody reads the OP ever
Funny thing the real article is up since thursday and was discussed in the preview thread. Was just waiting for a site like gamingbolt to pick it up offcourse and make a nice headline and here we are.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Outside the sealevels changing God of War wasn't that good with it's world though?
Which of the 6 worlds presented in the game wasn't that good though?

So they made the SP campaign starting from April 2018?
That's interesting.
Maybe they changed the task for level designers to make open areas after God of War released (after all only 2 acts have open world levels). Or they were already working on them and seeing how God of War is structured gave The Coalition additional ideas.

How they inspired by a game that launched 1 year ago?!
After all God of War is the GOTY of 2018 and GOAT, it's only natural that the industry is trying to copy the tremendous success of the game.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know, I loved the world design in God of War.

Lake of nine sea levels were fresh enough to stand apart.
Even there I thought they didn't do enough with it.

Everything else is just hallways that loop back on each other, with a lot of climbing and sqeezing through stuff.
Which of the 6 worlds presented in the game wasn't that good though?
In God of War?Is that a serious question? Alfheim was the only world that actually had something going for it outside the hubworld. Especially Muspel- and Niflheim were completely botched potential. Helheim was kind of lame, too.

KirikaPirin

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
Even there I thought they didn't do enough with it.

Everything else is just hallways that loop back on each other, with a lot of climbing and sqeezing through stuff.

In God of War?Is that a serious question? Alfheim was the only world that actually had something going for it outside the hubworld. Especially Muspel- and Niflheim were completely botched potential. Helheim was kind of lame, too.
So you're telling that 2 worlds where the most of events take place are good and 2 additional worlds are not cuz they're additional? Well, I dunno, isn't it obvious that the potential of these worlds had to be saved for inevitable sequels? Agree about Helheim, the first travel there was kinda boring especially because of the troll boss. But second visit paid off with flying ship sequence.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Lol that other thread had people fighting tooth and nail to say there was no way Gears took any inspiration from God of War.

Yeah that was funny

Is there any actual long form footage of the campaign?

Everything I've seen of this thing has been 3 second clips. And its coming out in like a few days. This game is so off my radar its sad. I wish there was more footage to build my excitement.

The entire Act 1 and bits of Act 2 were/are on Youtuber. Ninja is also streaming the campaign tomorrow I think

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Still highly sceptical if this works. God of War has great characters, lore and a fantastic world what made it very interesting to "travel".
The last Gears games had nothing of this. Gears was always about the fantastic combat for me. But we will see. It's all a matter of how they realized it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would you prefer if Kratos was more agile during traversal?

Hollow Knight is also loop back design. It turned out pretty good, no?
Hm HK's traversal is indeed more fun, I think being agile and having more options definetly helps. And while it loops on itself, it's way better layed out as a whole. The nine lakes is just a hub where you have some paths leading away from that each loop on itself once or twice. I wouldn't say they are in the same ballpark.

Personally, the worst thing was the one shot take that made some sections a chore. The constant need to mask loading screens lead to a lot of subpar situations, imo.
So you're telling that 2 worlds where the most of events take place are good and 2 additional worlds are not cuz they're additional? Well, I dunno, isn't it obvious that the potential of these worlds had to be saved for inevitable sequels? Agree about Helheim, the first travel there was kinda boring especially because of the troll boss. But second visit paid off with flying ship sequence.
I would have prefered if they fleshed out Alfheim and Helheim instead of making the prospect of visiting the others promising early on just to have one being a randomly generated minigame that is an absolute chore to play trhough on higher difficulties, and a glorified hallway with more or less entertaining challenges.

The flying ship sequence was bad imo. It went on for way, way too long.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff like this is always cool and inspiring to hear! So much of the industry is developers trying out new ideas and reworking pieces of things other folks have tried into their own interesting take on things, and I think that cycle does a lot of good for propelling all of us forward as a medium. Can't wait to jump into this game soon, even just hearing about the exploration elements and seeing the skiff has me excited!

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i stand corrected then, in another thread i claimed it was improbable due to development schedules, interesting stuff

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Hm HK's traversal is indeed more fun, I think being agile and having more options definetly helps. And while it loops on itself, it's way better layed out as a whole. The nine lakes is just a hub where you have some paths leading away from that each loop on itself once or twice. I wouldn't say they are in the same ballpark.

I agree about agility. But reducing lake of nine and general world design interconnectivity in God of War to this degree is a disservice to what the team managed to pull off, all things considered. It's not as intricate as HK, and I don't even think it was trying to be a complex maze of wonders.

There's obvious room for improvements, like any great game.

Personally, the worst thing was the one shot take that made some sections a chore. The constant need to mask loading screens lead to a lot of subpar situations, imo.

I'm confused by this, how did the one shot make some sections a chore?

Mask loading screens with what?

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Is there any actual long form footage of the campaign?

Everything I've seen of this thing has been 3 second clips. And its coming out in like a few days. This game is so off my radar its sad. I wish there was more footage to build my excitement.

If only there was a Preview thread where you'd be more likely to find gameplay videos. Or multiple threads about the game.

Im not really sure how a frequent Era visitor can say Gears is 'off their radar' at this point.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
It's so annoying to see GoW referenced all the time when, in terms of world building and structuring, it did nothing that a bunch of games had done before. It basically copied the evolution of its systems that Darksiders did, it didn't invent anything in this field, but those other games get no credit.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Sad about this, was really annoyed at how slow GoW felt for an action game, now if gears follow this road making it a slower TPS I'd be annoyed.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Stuff like this is always cool and inspiring to hear! So much of the industry is developers trying out new ideas and reworking pieces of things other folks have tried into their own interesting take on things, and I think that cycle does a lot of good for propelling all of us forward as a medium. Can't wait to jump into this game soon, even just hearing about the exploration elements and seeing the skiff has me excited!

I really like this post. Wish more people saw it your way rather than sprinting towards negative take.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree about agility. But reducing lake of nine and general world design interconnectivity in God of War to this degree is a disservice to what the team managed to pull off, all things considered. It's not as intricate as HK, and I don't even think it was trying to be a complex maze of wonders.

There's obvious room for improvements, like any great game.
See, outside of the water level lowering and the fact they make boatrides entertaining through dialogue I don't think it's anything special. But yeah, I'm curious to see what they'll do with the next game.

I'm confused by this, how did the one shot make some sections a chore?

Mask loading screens with what?
A lot of these climbing sections and moments where you sqeeze through narrow pathways are there to mask loading. Same with the realm you're in when fast traveling. It's just not ideal, imo.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I hate the way these open-world games do points of interest and map icons. I've completely lost interest in any open-world game that relies on waypoints.

GOW2018's level design is honestly just Souls-lite. It tries to take the same principle of circular level design and hand-crafted open areas but makes everything look and feel a lot more obvious. It's just bad, but everything felt like a more mainstream-palatable version of what other, more niche games had already been doing. The water traversal was a smart idea though.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

Great job with God of War, amazing game!

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
See, outside of the water level lowering and the fact they make boatrides entertaining through dialogue I don't think it's anything special. But yeah, I'm curious to see what they'll do with the next game.

Fair enough, I'm not going to argue against your position. But my experience was rather different.

God of War: The Rise of Loki is going to something alright :p

A lot of these climbing sections and moments where you sqeeze through narrow pathways are there to mask loading. Same with the realm you're in when fast traveling. It's just not ideal, imo.

I don't think climbing sections are masking any loading screen, not sure about squeezing through narrow pathways though. But I swear this game didn't have many of the latter?

Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I love how the first responses in this thread just ignore what is said. The visual hinting a la God of War is very close to the Gears of War way, with camera behind the shoulders focusing on something happening.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Color me interested. I could never get into Gears' gameplay, but GoW5 will be on Game Pass so I guess I'll give it a shot.

I like the art in the OP.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough, I'm not going to argue against your position. But my experience was rather different.

God of War: The Rise of Loki is going to something alright :p
Aw but we argue almost every time. It's tradition at this point. :D

But yeah, that one will be glorious.

I don't think climbing sections are masking any loading screen, not sure about squeezing through narrow pathways though. But I swear this game didn't have many of the latter?
The way I remember it there was at least one every pathway, and the climbing absolutely was used that way sometimes, especially the longer ones.

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Aw but we argue almost every time. It's tradition at this point. :D

But yeah, that one will be glorious.

Nah, our opinions usually converge in agreement. Not in this case though, lol.

I just can't wait to beat the shit out of Thor and Odin, haha.

The way I remember it there was at least one every pathway, and the climbing absolutely was used that way sometimes, especially the longer ones.

You might be right, I don't remember these parts very well.

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'm sorry but I really hate the sound of this. I'm going in expecting the worst. God of War's open aspect really hurt the pacing for me.

Nov 30, 2017
Haha. I mean, its obvious games draw inspiration from other games all the time.

One of my favorites this gen, spiderman, obviously drew inspiration from Batman combat system..