• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2018
"Troy is an exceptional talent and we were disappointed that he declined to partner on Borderlands 3 after being offered the part. We wish him the best and hope he knows the offer to collaborate with him still stands. Gearbox is a Texas company and is bound by Texas law - which means that a person cannot be denied employment because of membership or non-membership in a labour union or other labour organisation.

"As a talent-owned and talent-led organisation, Gearbox enthusiastically works to ensure our pay and working conditions meet or exceed union standards. We also believe strongly in hiring local voice actors whenever we can which is why we're thrilled Troy's career really took off after working with us."

This was in response to Troy saying Gearbox wouldn't work with him, because he was in a union, so fucking unprofessional, and so petty.

His union also responded:
"We applaud any member who stands up for workplace fairness and the integrity of their creative work. It is a courageous decision to act in the best interests of one's fellow SAG-AFTRA members and this honors all working people.

"The misguided decision by Gearbox to deny their performers the opportunity to have fair union wages, a safe workplace and the possibility of health care coverage for their families, is unfortunate.

"We attempted to sign Gearbox to a union agreement. They refused and disengaged from those talks.

"We look forward to hearing from any Gearbox performer who is interested in the many protections a union agreement offers actors."

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...orderlands-3-because-gearbox-wouldnt-go-union

Edit: You can say it doesn't read like that, but the context is them hitting back after being outed as anti-union by Troy... They're denying their illegal behavior and downplaying by highlight how great they are for hiring "local voice actors" and Troy was one of those...

Edit2: I've requested this thread be closed, so someone else can make it with a better title...

Last edited:

Iyagovos

Verified
Jan 18, 2018
So this was going around Twitter yesterday, and it is a really bizarre thing to bring up in this context, but they DID give him his first major video game role, in Brothers In Arms: Road To Hill 30.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
With a union contract. Does that mean that gearbox can only hire union actors from that particular union?

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty shitty of Gearbox and makes me not want to support them more than the other stuff tbh as that's mostly Randy being an idiot but considering how many roles troy has done since his early games this just feels like a cheap shot by gearbox for troy revealing they where being cheap on the voice actor front...

With a union contract. Does that mean that gearbox can only hire union actors from that particular union?

Yea normally if you use union actors (in film or games) it requires the rest of the actors to be also union.

OP
OP
Jun 26, 2018
Is it that he got bigger "after he worked with us"

Or he got bigger "because of us"??

It's in the context of them blowing their own horn about how great they are for hiring "local voice actors" (i.e. non-union I'm guessing). So to meit feels like it's them saying they made him, basically.

Especially since it's in response to him pretty much announcing to the world that they're anti-union.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Lots of VA on the B3 are unionized like ProZD. As I understand it, Troy Baker stance was about Gearbox refusing to hire only unionized VA.

This is so petty from Gearbox but that's hardly surprising.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't read like that actually.
I Agree, I think the OP is trying to cause controversy and unfairly demonise a developer for the sake of it.

I'm sure there are lots of reasons to dislike a company, but using this sentence as any kind of reasoning for that is unfair.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
It's in the context of them blowing their own horn about how great they are for hiring "local voice actors" (i.e. non-union I'm guessing). So to meit feels like it's them saying they made him, basically.

Especially since it's in response to him pretty much announcing to the world that they're anti-union.

Pretty much, I was thinking it could be read both ways. But they are very arrogant enough to believe they got him where he's at now.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Brothers in Arms was one of his early roles. If they were saying after his role in Tales of the Borderlands, that that would be dumb and hilarious.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
SAG-AFTRA is the only major union that I am aware of. If a project goes union, they are generally required to only cast union actors.
That I'm not so sure about. Projects like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Promare, & Street Fighter V have a mix of union & non-union actors despite them being unionized (Ex: MUA3 has Allegra Clark as Spider-Gwen while Steve Blum is Wolverine). I suppose it depends on the project.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This a massive massive reach.

They aren't saying that and the topic title is incredibly misleadiny

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, Gearbox is a "talent-owned" company

Randy's only talent is being an incredible cunt

also Troy got famous for Persona 4/Bioshock Infinite.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of VA on the B3 are unionized like ProZD. As I understand it, Troy Baker stance was about Gearbox refusing to hire only unionized VA.

This is so petty from Gearbox but that's hardly surprising.
Why Troy would do that? Does non union actors not deserve to get work?

Status
Not open for further replies.