• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I'm absolutely amazed by people who actually think the shooting in Borderlands is okay.

But clearly there's an audience for this stuff, so whatever I guess.

I 100% agree with you. I have tried so many times to get into Borderlands but the shooting just feels like complete ass. Like regardless of the world, characters, collecting, whatever, the core gunplay just feels like I'm shooting sponges with a BB gun.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
I 100% agree with you. I have tried so many times to get into Borderlands but the shooting just feels like complete ass. Like regardless of the world, characters, collecting, whatever, the core gunplay just feels like I'm shooting sponges with a BB gun.
thats kinda the point though. its more rpg , than shooter. if destiny is your refrence point it wont be for you.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
It's kinda obvious
iqA3Pfj.jpg

dACDKyo.jpg

I know it's coming regardless but this chain is absolutely disgusting to read

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...h-above-average-digital-download-rate.106895/

Also, Borderlands has never been the best example of a good first-person shooter. At the time of its release, it just happened to be the only looter shooter. Now it's not, and they need to show that they've done something to improve gunplay, driving, questing, loot, endgame, etc... Otherwise it's just incredibly outdated compared to its competition.
We talking about bl1? Because bl2 is better than nearly all other looter shooters right now lmao

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Really wonder what massive improvements they did to the systems and gameplay. In 2019 it has to compete with much more coop rpg games.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna get this game regardless but I definitely expected more of a leap graphically. I had to double take that this wasn't Borderlands 2 at multiple points.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
thats kinda the point though. its more rpg , than shooter. if destiny is your refrence point it wont be for you.
How is that not the point? If your combat is going to be shooting, make the shooting feel good. I don't understand the appeal of a game where 90% of your time is spent shooting, and the shooting feels like shit.

We talking about bl1? Because bl2 is better than nearly all other looter shooters right now lmao
If that's how you feel.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely amazed by people who actually think the shooting in Borderlands is okay.

But clearly there's an audience for this stuff, so whatever I guess.
The gunplay was always just that, OK. And that was enough, especially 10 years ago. Hopefully the gunplay is significantly improved this time around, but with the same wild upgrades and secondary effects that made Borderlands feel unique. Also I hope they've leaned into the sci-fi setting more, so its not just 1 billion slug throwers.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The gunplay was always just that, OK. And that was enough, especially 10 years ago. Hopefully the gunplay is significantly improved this time around, but with the same wild upgrades and secondary effects that made Borderlands feel unique. Hopefully they've leaned into the sci-fi setting more, so its not just 1 billion slug throwers.
That's why I was kind of hoping they would have shown some gameplay.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 2 in 2012 is better than the competition in 2019 though

I find it pretty basic, especially compared to other RPG coop games. I beat the GOTY version of 2 when it came out and loved it back then but tried the pre-sequel and couldn't even finish it. It better have much better systems to pull me back in. It doesn't help it looks kind of the same too.

I play ton of Warframe and Path of Exile and right now Division 2 and I can't see myself getting back to a Borderland 2 level game.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a Borderlands game. Should keep Randy in thumb drives for years to come.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
If you're gonna play BL2, I'd recommend playing that first since TftB does take place after the events of that game. Also, BL2 is excellent, some of the most fun I've ever had in multiplayer.

But trust me, you're in for a wild ride with Tales from the Borderlands. It might just be the funniest game ever, all without sacrificing any heart or plot levity.

Nice. I'm not as into the gunplay but the dialogue has me laughing out loud.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
How is that not the point? If your combat is going to be shooting, make the shooting feel good. I don't understand the appeal of a game where 90% of your time is spent shooting, and the shooting feels like shit.

If that's how you feel.
I mean, everything else (besides shooting) other games do is significantly worse than what bl2 did years ago. Theres a reason games like destiny 1 and 2 got blasted on release

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017

If that's how you feel.
thats the thing though in rpgs its about getting stronger. if they die in 3 hits almost regardless of gun, why bother trying to go for the better gun? if I wanted a pure shooter, there are manny better games than even destiny. I want the rpg side of the coin, thats why I like boarderlands 2, but cant get in to destiny ect.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Huh I'm actually a bit disappointed. I expected more visual improvement but this doesn't look impressive. Curious about the end product, but no hype unfortunately.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with this, but then again I didn't burn myself out on Borderlands before it came out. I was new to the series and just finished Borderlands 2 and wanted more Borderlands, so I played Pre-Sequel and loved it.
where as I played it when it came to PS4 so it had been awhile since i had played a borderlands game so it was new and more of what i loved.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
I find it pretty basic, especially compared to other RPG coop games. I beat the GOTY version of 2 when it came out and loved it back then but tried the pre-sequel and couldn't even finish it. It better have much better systems to pull me back in. It doesn't help it looks kind of the same too.

I play ton of Warframe and Path of Exile and right now Division 2 and I can't see myself getting back to a Borderland 2 level game.

Thats because most bl fans dont consider the pre sequel to be nearly as good as 2. It was also outsourced and not made by the main studio

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
where as I played it when it came to PS4 so it had been awhile since i had played a borderlands game so it was new and more of what i loved.

Yeah when I played it, I knew about the general feeling of it not being as good. So I was surprised at how good I thought it was and didn't really understand the criticism. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...h-above-average-digital-download-rate.106895/

Also, Borderlands has never been the best example of a good first-person shooter. At the time of its release, it just happened to be the only looter shooter. Now it's not, and they need to show that they've done something to improve gunplay, driving, questing, loot, endgame, etc... Otherwise it's just incredibly outdated compared to its competition.

Borderlands 2 is still the best loot shooter out, so even that with little else new would be totally fine. I hope they stick to what the earlier games were: content-complete, lengthy adventures with big chunks of post-release content that add new classes and such.

I don't want them following the market with shitty, content drips mostly designed around trying to make you log in every day.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Normally, I don't find it too hard to pick a player character in Borderlands, but man, they all look amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing some more character specific gameplay.

I'm also really pleased Gearbox hasn't deviated too far from the other games in terms of art direction. For example, KH3 is an absolutely beautiful game, but it's a huge stylistic change up for the previous games, and for me personally, it's became a lot more generic in terms of art direction in the process. (It was amazing how close the 3D Pixar and Disney characters looked to to their original film counterparts, though!) DMC5 was also a huge change up in art direction from DMC4, and it went from being heavily stylized to hyper realistic, but DMC5 at least has a really distinct blue-ish/purple color palette that is present in a lot of the environments and the advertising for the game.

A lot of people here are confusing artstyle and graphics.

The artstyle looks similar. Yes. So initially it looks "the same"

Graphically, it's on another level.

Yeah, this.

D2xZe0zWkAAigNq.jpg:large

Just using this screengrab, Rhys and Zero are far more polished and detailed than their previous character models.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Normally, I don't find it too hard to pick a player character in Borderlands, but man, they all look amazing! I'm looking forward to seeing some more character specific gameplay.

I'm also really pleased Gearbox hasn't deviated too far from the other games in terms of art direction. For example, KH3 is an absolutely beautiful game, but it's a huge stylistic change up for the previous games, and for me personally, it's became a lot more generic in terms of art direction in the process. (It was amazing how close the 3D Pixar and Disney characters looked to to their original film counterparts, though!) DMC5 was also a huge change up in art direction from DMC4, and it went from being heavily stylized to hyper realistic, but DMC5 at least has a really distinct blue-ish/purple color palette that is present in a lot of the environments and the advertising for the game.

Yeah, this.

Just using this screengrab, Rhys and Zero are far more polished and detailed than their previous character models.
Ya'll keep screenshotting cutscenes.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

Yeah, this.

I'm sure we just need some more direct screens released by Gearbox to assuage the concerns. But of gameplay, of course.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think we needed just a few minutes of uninterrupted gameplay.

Because the gameplay we did get was just these small quick snippets

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
A lot of people here are confusing artstyle and graphics.

The artstyle looks similar. Yes. So initially it looks "the same"

Graphically, it's on another level.
Well said. Yeah these people don't seem to understand the difference and it's kind of annoying. I've been waiting years for this announcement and to already hear people trying to tear the game down is just ridiculous to me.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
it depends where do you fall on that rpg-shooter spectrum. unlike destiny, borderlands is very much a rpg. the time to kill is much higher than destiny/devision. I think destiny fans will find it too bullet spongy, but I want a rpg shooter, not a shooter with very like rpg

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
They didn't even need to release gameplay at this event. Just, show the trailer, then sneak some gameplay footage onto the YouTube channel as well. Easy.
They're literally going to show us more in a week. I would bet skags to skrillex that we see gameplay then.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I'm soooo happy about this. Looks amazing. So happy to see Rhys, really hope we see the rest of the TFTBL crew too. Been waiting so long for another Borderlands game. Nothing else really compares to the Borderlands games for me.

Of course we get graphic tryhards complaining about visuals though.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, my favorite looter shooter franchise got another entry. I hope the story is gonna be dope and fun with lots of variety in enemies, guns and environments. I'm still salty the Atlas brand was gone in 2. Let's hope they make a brand with a similar feel for the weapons.

Oct 25, 2017
it depends where do you fall on that rpg-shooter spectrum. unlike destiny, borderlands is very much a rpg. the time to kill is much higher than destiny/devision. I think destiny fans will find it too bullet spongy, but I want a rpg shooter, not a shooter with very like rpg

You can absolutely destroy most enemies in Borderlands 2 using the right combinations of skills, elements and weapon type. The Division gameplay is MUCH more of a slog and bullet spongy. Maya isn't even the biggest damage dealer and I would like see a Division build take out a group of enemies faster than a combination of Phaselock/Ruin/Converge/Subsequence/Reaper/Chain Reaction/Accelerate/Wreck with a Flying Sandhawk with legendary damage class mod. It's definitely an RPG, but the combat is fast.

Last edited: