• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2018
do we know what's in the diamond edition or is that getting revealed tomorrow?
borderlands3-diamond-collectors-edition.jpg

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I mean thats 14 million ubisoft games sold at $60, thats not awful.
AC Odyssey sold like 2M copies max on Steam. So yeah they are not getting that money back for years, if ever.
Well, Epic only gets $7.20 of every $60.00 sale, since their cut is just 12%. So if they did indeed give Ubi $100M straight up (which I doubt, unless it was for multiple games), they would need to sell way more than 14M units at full price because both Steam and EGS have regional pricing. The 2M ACO estimated Steam sales is also a worldwide figure, I suppose.

Safe to say, Epic isnt really expecting to recoup the cost in units sold, its more of a marketing expense.

Indeed. I think there's also a potential future where EGS fails to hit its KPIs and Epic deprioritizes development. But for now, they seem to be going in big.
This is what I'm hoping happens - Epic's reticence to disclose actual sales figures is telling. We'll see where they stand in a couple of years.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't sure how they'd do the psycho finger pose on this one. Cover looks sick.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Well, Epic only gets $7.20 of every $60.00 sale, since their cut is just 12%. So if they did indeed give Ubi $100M straight up (which I doubt, unless it was for multiple games), they would need to sell way more than 14M units at full price because both Steam and EGS have regional pricing. The 2M ACO estimated Steam sales is also a worldwide figure, I suppose.

Safe to say, Epic isnt really expecting to recoup the cost in units sold, its more of a marketing expense.

This is what I'm hoping happens - Epic's reticence to disclose actual sales figures is telling. We'll see where they stand in a couple of years.

Everyone who stops and think for a bit will realize that they can't do this forever. At one point store will need to support itself. And at one point Epic will realize that they need to listen what consumers want so that 12% will need to change if they want to operate global store.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Not really? Yeah, Epic keeps bringing in money from Fortnite, but they still need to answer to shareholders like Tencent. At an 88/12 split, plus all of the money theyre pumping into exclusives, its pretty much a sure thing that their first year of EGS won't be in the black. No business will willingly take a loss forever.

They need to amass a decent userbase by the time the "moneyhat" part of their roadmap comes to an end, from then on they'll have established themselves as another storefront from which people can buy games... but with a better revenue split, which will entice devs and pubs to play ball even without a moneyhat. By that point, they probably hope their feature set is at the very least competitive with Valve's.

True.

They won't have much to stand on once these all release on other storefronts. They've snatched around...30 exclusives now? They won't be this aggressive say in 2020, but I can see these timed exclusives being a thing, albeit on a smaller scale.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why? The EGS offers regional pricing too.
No, they don't. Even in countries like Australia where I live I'm forced to pay $100 for titles again like some sick joke when Steam was able to afford giving us $70 titles or even better CD key sellers going lower. I am worse off with EGS but apparently that's better for the devs and someday I'll see them trickle down savings.

sythyx

Jun 9, 2018
Can we make a list of all these EGS exclusives (for a year)

Metro Exodus
The Division 2
Borderlands 3
Hades
Ashen
Outer World

what else?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
No, they don't. Even in countries like Australia where I live I'm forced to pay $100 for titles again like some sick joke when Steam was able to afford giving us $70 titles or even better CD key sellers going lower. I am worse off with EGS but apparently that's better for the devs and someday I'll see them trickle down savings.

Yes, they do.

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing that annoys me is when you put the announce trailer with the Steam logo then change to Epic, I'm sure if it the Epic logo on the announce trailer it wouldn't of been that well received.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it isn't too grindy and the reviews are good, I'm in. Been wanting actual new Borderlands for a while.

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
no, I am saying its ok for epic to use what they have, in this case money from fortnite, to give them a shot. if they didnt buy exclusives they would be another storefront noone buys anything from.
Again, understanding is not agreeing, at least for me. I know why they're doing it, doesn't mean I agree with them.

I mean, Origins, uPlay, Blizzard all seem to be doing fine without having to resort to buying exclusive, despite their bumpy start(except Blizzard?). EA, Ubisoft, and Activision Blizzard should also have a war chest full of money to do something similar, yet they didn't and it still worked out for them.

Of course, Epic is absolutely within their rights to do what they want, but that should also mean I and others are within our rights to disagree with them bringing console exclusive war to the PC; that instead of trying to offer a service on par or better as those currently out, they opted to provide a much weaker feature set, then hold popular games hostage to "entice" people to move over.

There is always a right way and wrong way to do anything. Here, Epic picked the wrong way, and we should absolutely not be supporting this behaviour as that would just send a message that publishers wishing to succeed don't have to do all the freebies and support that Steam do, but just a competition of who has the biggest war chest. Not to mention how Epic's exclusive tactic would harm 3rd party sites that brought us PC gamers countless savings.

Oct 27, 2017
EGS does have regional pricing, but only in select countries.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You are correct actually my bad. Regional pricing is active however it is local currency which is rolled out to only a select few countries. Apparently Australia is too small of one to gain that benefit and instead I am forced to purchase a game because it isn't available anywhere else at a more inflated price despite no difference in product.

Or, you know, competition according to Epic.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Box art looks sick. I'm ambivalent regarding the game store exclusive. If the game turns out to be fun then I'll buy, if it doesn't then I won't.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I am curious about the potentially smaller window of exclusivity. Out of the games they moneyhatted so far, Borderlands 3 seems like the most likely on eto actually get some people to buy on EGS. You'd think they'd go all out on that one.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
The cover is freaking brilliant. I might actually purchase a physical copy for console as I have for the previous Borderlands titles. I hope the CE junk is wicked awesome.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I feel it's telling for the situation that Randy Pitchford just deflects everything to 2k and won't even comment on it furthers.

If it was something good for the customers, he would now doubt explain it, and defend it. But it isn't, and thankfully the audience have reacted so much against Epic's practices that the discussion surrounding the store have been tainted.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Fuck. As I've got friends I may be playing this with I may have to swallow this bitter pill and install EGS.

sythyx

Jun 9, 2018
Division 2 is also on Uplay so it's not an egs exclusive. Not being on steam doesn't make you an exclusive.

Division 2 is also on Uplay so it's not an egs exclusive. Not being on steam doesn't make you an exclusive.
true, my bad

What i meant was more like
"Games that were coming to steam, but then epic paid the publishers what we can assume is a looot of money, especially for games like the Division 2 and now theyre not coming, at least not anytime soon (6-12 months)

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
I wont support epic - So i pass on that version. I want my steam family share, ill wait.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Boxart's good, I feel bad for PC players that still dislike Epic Games Store, and I'll still be personally waiting for impressions and reviews to roll in at or after release to figure out if I'm actually going to buy this game. I have a hard time working up trust from Gearbox, even though I loved Borderlands 1 and especially 2. A lot of scummy business practices have cropped up and become somewhat normalized in the realm of multiplayer and loot-driven shooters since the last Borderlands title, and until I have full assurance that Gearbox isn't going to try to model this game that way and that it feels relatively polished, I'm maintaining a skeptical but positive-leaning outlook towards Borderlands 3.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was already put off this game because of Randy, I won't be supporting EGS exclusives.

Looks like a pass.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 day): misrepresenting other users' arguments and ignoring the staff post
"They're stealing our games... on the same platform"

Status
Not open for further replies.