• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I play on PC (and console) and I don't care. Just like I didn't care much about the minor inconvenience of using Origin to play Apex Legends. Judging by Fortnite/Apex/LoL numbers, I'd guess most PC gamers won't care that much about not being able to buy/play the game on Steam because many of them already do it.

But if that's not your jam, that's cool too.

I suspect the tens of millions of PC gamers now unable to play Borderlands 3 because Epic's shitty store isn't available in their country or doesn't support payment methods used primarily in their country will care though.

Discussion Guidelines

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Given the volatility in recent Epic Game Store related threads we have decided that some clearer guidelines are required to cultivate healthier discussion.
  • Do not enter these threads in bad faith. If we conclude that your goal is to misrepresent the concerns of other users or rile people up, you will be moderated. Intent matters here. Honest questions or commentary about the differences and similarities between the Epic Games Store and other storefronts are fine. Deliberately and dismissively attempting to troll concerned members on those topics is not okay. These discussions must be held in good faith and in a civil manner.
  • As a reminder, antagonizing or engaging in personal attacks on other members is still against the rules. We have a large community with a wide range of preferences and personal priorities. Not everyone will feel the same way as you do on any given topic. If you feel a post is breaking a rule please report it and do not respond with hostility. If you choose to engage do so politely. We always check to see which users have a history of trouble in this area.
  • It is perfectly acceptable to want to wait for a game to be released on the storefront of your preference (ex: "I'll just wait for the Steam release.") It is not acceptable to troll threads because of storefront exclusivity timed or otherwise (ex: "So the real PC release is going to be a year later.") The latter is needlessly inflammatory and distracts from discussion. We will be scrutinizing these posts more closely going forward.
  • Do not advocate, defend, or admit to piracy under any circumstances. This is explicitly against our Terms of Service. There are no justifications that will make this acceptable.
Addendum: It's fine and often healthy to be critical of media coverage (ex: "I don't think this article is good and here's why"), but please avoid going down any rabbit holes with excessive vitriol and conspiracy theories (ex: "This outlet is clearly paid off because I don't agree with their coverage"). We've long had a general policy against hyperbolical vilification of the media and that rule has not been suspended.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Piracy will increase so much that it will hurt developers, like the days before steam was a thing.
This is why I don't feel sorry for those people. These people would rather be pirates than to support developers so they can continue to make games.

No sympathy for them.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
This will likely be the first game I buy on the Epic store.

Also the first game I buy on PC since XCOM 2 unless PS4 magically gets cross play.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they should at least make it known how long the exclusivity deal lasts, but I get that that would undercut some sales because people would be more willing to just wait.

DenverCo

Feb 21, 2019
Denver
Is the Epic store really that crappy? I guess I could download and try it out. I got EA and Ubisoft installed already on my PC another launcher won't hurt.

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I don't feel sorry for those people. These people would rather be pirates than to support developers so they can continue to make games.

No sympathy for them.
Friendly reminder that EGS literally is not an option for many people who are able to buy PC games because of either payment options and/or regional pricing. Valve efforts in both of those fronts is what allowed entire countries to go from pirates who never owned an original game to fucking collectors.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
this might be a game to get me to pay money on the epic store. I'd probably prefer playing it on Xbox to be honest, but we'll see.

Hopefully Epic adds a way to add wallet funds from amazon/best buy/etc, I don't really like giving any game store my credit card or paypal info. I already have the epic launcher and have fortnite and all the "free" games they give out every month but so far haven't really seen anything to get me to pay real money yet. BL3 would probably be it. Be weird if its PC only though.

The number of launchers though is getting out of hand, I have now

Windows 10 store (Forza, etc)
steam (24x7)
Discord (24x7)
GOG
Origin
uPlay
Battle.net
Epic Launcher
Oculus Store

probably a few more I can't think of, it becomes a real pain in the ass when I wanna play something and I haven't run the launcher in months and it has to do massive updates. I think Discord is trying to be the uber-tie that works with everything but not really sure how any of that works.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Friendly reminder that EGS literally is not an option for many people who are able to buy PC games because of either payment options and/or regional pricing. Valve efforts in both of those fronts is what allowed entire countries to go from pirates who never owned an original game to fucking collectors.
Then you don't get the game.. it's that simple. Or you get it on PS4, or Xbox.

Please don't try to rationalize piracy... that's not going to work well for you.

Oct 25, 2017

Please don't try to rationalize piracy... that's not going to work well for you.
Didn't know that stating facts is trying to rationalize things you don't agree with.

It doesn't matter your opinion about piracy or how you feel about people who will pirate because of EGS. It will happen, and the blame is solely on Epic for marginalizing entire markets again after their first chance of becoming actual consumers.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
I suspect the tens of millions of PC gamers now unable to play Borderlands 3 because Epic's shitty store isn't available in their country or doesn't support payment methods used primarily in their country will care though.
No need to suspect, it's a fact.

Nowhere in that quote are they rationalizing piracy.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

No sympathy for them.
The root cause for that is the Epic exclusivity tho (and the shitty state the launcher is in).

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Didn't know that stating facts is trying to rationalize things you don't agree with.

It doesn't matter your opinion about piracy or how you feel about people who will pirate because of EGS. It will happen, and the blame is solely on Epic for marginalizing entire markets again after their first chance of becoming actual consumers.

I definitely don't agree with piracy. And merely bringing it up IS attempting to rationalize why some people will do it. You're giving reasons why it will happen... and I'm stating that I don't feel sorry for those people. I feel sorry for the people who legitimately want the game, and have to wait... and will do so without pirating. As soon as someone pirates the game.. no sympathy given.

And Epic is NOT to blame lmao. You realize how RIDICULOUS that is, right? Do stores get blamed for people stealing because they don't offer them products the way they want them? No.. Get out of here lol

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'll wait for confirmation on this, but I'd rather it was on Steam. I'll probably still buy it on EGS if my mates do, I'd just rather not have to make a new account and such.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm so disappointed

that the new vault hunters look pretty lame, except the Siren.

Oh well I'll still be there day one for the insanity.

Schierke Mori

Oct 28, 2017
Will wait on the buy pending reviews. I can't trust Gearbox with anything at this point considering their history.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excited to get back into this series. I'm disappointed we didn't get any Switch remasters but it is what it is.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone

No sympathy for them.

Piracy directly correlates with whether a product is readily buyable and whether its on a service people want to use.

So dont be surprised if Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3 get pirated a lot more than if they were on steam?

This forum is so obsessed with the piracy boogeyman without realizing it comes into the Epic Store equation.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
it's really a shitty move because the borderlands playerbase on steam is huge and i don't know why you would fuck them over like this by releasing the sequel they all have been waiting for on another store but okay, at least they didn't announce it for steam first and then made a deal with epic like how it happened with metro

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Good mayne! Hope things are good on your end.

But yeah on topic, I really have to wonder if Valve is gonna fire back at this point. EGS is nabbing a lot of big titles PC gamers enjoy.

One would almost think that was happening given things like HALO MCC, Dwarf Fortress, Bethseda's upcoming slate returnign to Steam, hell even Risk of Rain 2 but Valve didn't pay for any of that.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'm not bothered with EGS exclusivity that much because I won't be getting this one at launch. I'd wait for the "complete" edition like I did with the previous games.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Never played any of the other games, how essencial do you think they are to enjoy this? Is story a big part of the game or would a YouTube summary serve fine?

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Piracy directly correlates with whether a product is readily buyable and whether its on a service people want to use.

So dont be surprised if Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3 get pirated a lot more than if they were on steam?

This forum is so obsessed with the piracy boogeyman without realizing it comes into the Epic Store equation.
Sorry, but the service people want to use and whether or not it's available is not a sufficient reason to pirate a game. Boycott, sure... but not pirate. Of course I realize there a correlation.. but that doesn't mean it's right, or that I should care. Why should developers/publishers even care about those people when they'll do that?

Can't blame them for taking the money and running.

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely don't agree with piracy. And merely bringing it up IS attempting to rationalize why some people will do it. You're giving reasons why it will happen... and I'm stating that I don't feel sorry for those people. I feel sorry for the people who legitimately want the game, and have to wait... and will do so without pirating. As soon as someone pirates the game.. no sympathy given.

And Epic is NOT to blame lmao. You realize how RIDICULOUS that is, right? Do stores get blamed for people stealing because they don't offer them products the way they want them? Get out of here lol
Get out of your bubble, dude.

Epic is literally to blame and nobody cares about your pity. South America, for instance, has a huge enthusiast market of gamers who always were marginalized and had no way of actually buying games because of distribution or unreasonable prices. Steam changed that. It brought legit gaming to many, many people. Expanded markets to publishers and indie devs alike.

When Epic comes in and robs those people of that, they will just do what they did the past thirty years to enjoy their hobby and be inserted in its status quo. That's piracy. Again, that has nothing to do with rationalization, defense of the act or whatever. That's how things work outside of your perfect world where everybody has access to everything you do.

There is no good reason as to why random dude from India or Chile can't own a legit copy of Cool 2019 Game #45... except that they can only buy it from EGS and that either requires an international credit card or is asking for half of their wage, when Steam proved that years ago. And if his only way to access the game is piracy, then that's what he's gonna do. Doesn't matter if you think that's wrong or not a good enough reason.

Keep your gatekeeping and your worthless sympathy to yourself.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Never played any of the other games, how essencial do you think they are to enjoy this? Is story a big part of the game or would a YouTube summary serve fine?
The first game practically has no story but introduces crucial characters that appear in the later entries. The second game is a bit more involved. There's also the Pre-Sequel and Tales which this game seems to be building upon of.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
this might be a game to get me to pay money on the epic store. I'd probably prefer playing it on Xbox to be honest, but we'll see.

Hopefully Epic adds a way to add wallet funds from amazon/best buy/etc, I don't really like giving any game store my credit card or paypal info. I already have the epic launcher and have fortnite and all the "free" games they give out every month but so far haven't really seen anything to get me to pay real money yet. BL3 would probably be it. Be weird if its PC only though.

The number of launchers though is getting out of hand, I have now

Windows 10 store (Forza, etc)
steam (24x7)
Discord (24x7)
GOG
Origin
uPlay
Battle.net
Epic Launcher
Oculus Store

probably a few more I can't think of, it becomes a real pain in the ass when I wanna play something and I haven't run the launcher in months and it has to do massive updates. I think Discord is trying to be the uber-tie that works with everything but not really sure how any of that works.

I'd argue Win10 isn't a launcher. Just a store.

The app itself just becomes part of the OS which I think is the best of all the solutions. At least in my opinion.

I've installed Playnite to keep everything under one umbrella.

Oct 25, 2017
it's really a shitty move because the borderlands playerbase on steam is huge and i don't know why you would fuck them over like this by releasing the sequel they all have been waiting for on another store but okay, at least they didn't announce it for steam first and then made a deal with epic like how it happened with metro

Reminds of the Tomb Raider deal with Microsoft. That really worked out. /s

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about the number of lauchers/stores in my PC, I don't support what Epic, 2k, Gearbox, etc are doing with the exclusivity deals. Hard pass from me same as I did with Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.