• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
https://videocardz.com/newz/gdp-win-3-handheld-gaming-console-spotted-running-witcher-3-at-60-fps

GDP-Win-3-5.jpg

GDP-Win-3-3.jpg

The console features Intel 11th Gen Gore series CPU, which is based on Willow Cove's core architecture. The SoC also features Intel's latest Xe-LP graphics. The device looks a lot like Sony Vaio UX Micro PC from 2006, featuring Windows Vista and Intel Core 2 Solo CPU.

Phawx

Oct 25, 2017
Just a few bits of quick info.

Video shows 1135G7 running at 15watt. I don't yet know if 1165G7 will get full GPU perf at 15w, (I'll need to test)

Analog sticks, buttons are 3D printed and not final.

It's the same size as the Switch Lite

gpd_win_3_03_574x500.jpg

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I still have my Sony UX... screen is broken tho šŸ˜•

For the longest time, I had the world's smallest Windows desktop computer.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Looks like a gaming version of the old OQO laptop/handheld from 2007-ish. I like the idea of the sliding keyboard but I'd be concerned about the mechanism holding up.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I like this much better than the claim she'll. The weight balance should be a lot better

Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder how large the market is for these devices for them to iterate on their models so often. I don't get the appeal as it seems like it'll need endless tinkering, but it's fun to see the amount of gaming power they can pack into a small albeit unwieldy form factor.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I always wonder how large the market is for these devices for them to iterate on their models so often. I don't get the appeal as it seems like it'll need endless tinkering, but it's fun to see the amount of gaming power they can pack into a small albeit unwieldy form factor.
Personally I'd love to get something like this just for low-end indie games and emulation. So many indie games these days feel designed to be played on a handheld. With something like this I can still buy those kinds of games for PC and not have to worry about rebuying them for the Switch.

Phawx

Oct 25, 2017

The GPD Win 3 will be the first of these handhelds that finally crosses the threshold for what most mainstream people who have baseline expectations for these devices to "just work". As in, for the most part, you won't have to tweak anything to just play games. In game settings menu will be all you need to futs around with.

By 2022 AMD will have a 4TF APU with zen3 that needs ~25w. This will be sufficient for a lot of games to hit 1080p60

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Their insistence to maintain that keyboard continues to baffle me

Since its a dockable system why not just dock it and use a wireless keyboard?

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
The GPD Win 3 will be the first of these handhelds that finally crosses the threshold for what most mainstream people who baseline expect these devices to do. As in, for the most part, you won't have to tweak anything to just play games. In game settings menu will be all you need to futs around with.

By 2022 AMD will have a 4TF APU with zen3 that needs ~25w. This will be sufficient for a lot of games to hit 1080p60

On a screen that size, I would be more than happy with 720p. But it is pretty crazy when you think about it. An APU with 4TF.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017

At least it's not at the expense of the gamepad ergonomics this time. Still probably a waste of components, thickness and weight, but at least it's out of the way now.

OP
OP
RedSwirl

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

It's still PC gaming. I think it's prudent to include a keyboard because you never know when you'll run into a situation where you need to use it, even when you're somewhere away from a TV or dock or whatever. Some error might come up where the synced controller buttons don't work, or you need to mess with something that only responds to a keyboard. Controller support on PC isn't 100% ubiquitous and never will be.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
Was waiting for a new GPD WIN to show up! I had the first WIN, which was really really cool, but was too much of a janky prototype for me in many ways, so i sold it (plus i needed money at the time).
The WIN 2 seemed like a big improvement in many ways, but not enough, especially at its increased price. I might get this 3 though if the price is not much higher than the 2 and the have better batteries that won't be guaranteed to bloat.

Switch lite size is pretty good! And I really like the Wii U style stick layout. Big Keyboard under a slideout screen like that is cool, I just hope the mechanism and display connection is sturdy.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I was looking for something like this for months and haven't find anything descent in terms of performance and cost. I'd love to access my Steam or GOG library to play some (indie) games or emulated games on the go.

But I don't think this will cost less than 699,99 EUR :(

Alo81

Oct 27, 2017
Oh sick. I'm very much interested in price. I've got the GPD Win 1 and while its nifty having a tiny windows PC around, performance isn't what you'd want. This seems way more up my alley.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It looks like a Sega Game Gear and one of those old portable PCs had a baby. I'm sure it'll be fine but...yeah, not a fan of how it looks. Since the Smach Z has more or less crashed and burned at this stage, it seems like it's between the Aya Neo and this for that handheld PC experience.
Hopefully, it won't be expensive.
Oh, sweet summer child.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I wish that screen was a tad bigger. I feel that for Windows fare, it really needs to be 6.5-7" or so, ie similar to a modern large screened phone.

Edit: LOL at not being expensive. This is going to start at $900ish I feel. Maaaybe at $800 for a cut down version.

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Will be expensive as heck, but I'm still excited for this. I love handheld gaming, and it's bound to go down in price in a year or two.

A ready to go gaming pc in handheld form would be a massive achievement. Hard to believe we just got portable, console quality (that termts very subjective. in this context I'm just referring to major hd AAA games) less than four years ago.

Heruderu

Oct 29, 2017
The design looks really old, but great performance. I wonder how much it weighs. Nice to see more options.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Drop the Onlyfans IGG link already, GPD!

Crazy, Wii U and maybe even PS3/360 emulation should be a decent upgrade over my GPD Win Max experience. Maybe even Switch emulation would be smooth!

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
Here's a video of the GPD Win 3 running on Intel's i5-1135G7 running Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice with an unlocked framerate with the settings allegedly set to high from last Monday.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
The IGG campaign has been announced. These things will cost a small fortune. Unlike the Aya Neo, they don't have gyro.

The GPD WIN3 which all of you have paid much attention is coming.

Preview link:

https://www.indiegogo.com/project/preview/3ae56003

It owns two versions

Advanced version
All black version

1165G7 + 16GB LPDDR4x 4266 + 1TB Pcie Gen3 SSD
The crowdfunding price:US$969

yinxyqzzc9yrswt7vxby.png

Standard version
Sliver Black
1135G7 + 16GB LPDDR4x 4266 + 1TB Pcie Gen3 SSD

The crowdfunding price:US$829

hw2gcyiyawv7ndpmrnxt.png

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
The IGG campaign has been announced. These things will cost a small fortune. Unlike the Aya Neo, they don't have gyro.
Pssshh damn that's steep... still kind of interested in the special black indiegogo version with the better chip. Been wanting to get one of their newer/more polished products after selling my GPD WIN a few years ago. I like the size and form factor of the WIN 3 a lot, but that's a lot of dough. Then again, its hardware seems worth it, especially if the buttons/sticks are much better now and the device is a lot less janky (i know the WIN2 and MAX were big improvements). I hope they're not still using shitty lead batteries?

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
The UK exchange rate makes it a tiny bit more palatable but it's still a bit too much.

My main issue with the machine is the screen size. 5.5 inches is fine for the Switch Lite (which is GPD's justification) but for a machine running Windows it's going to be awkward for most non-gaming tasks, while text heavy games will be borderline eye-strain inducing. I tried a few Remote Desktop and Steam Stream things via my phone and it was barely workable from a visual perspective - and my phone has a 6 inch screen.

Switch Lite's titles are (mostly) optimised for the screen size, but that won't be the case here for most Windows titles, gaming and non, which is a huge shame.

Oct 27, 2017
Though that price hurts and basically makes it a no-go for me (I can afford it but I can't justify it), it is at least good to see someone pushing this space forward as other handhelds seem to be stuck in an endless loop of "up to PS1" emulation (I know Retroid 2 technically does N64 and Dreamcast, but I have one and it definitely isn't very viable for anything past 16-bit systems as far as I am concerned).

Having a handheld PS2 is basically the only way I'll ever get around to playing my backlog, so I'm hoping that becomes a reality within my price range in the next few years.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
The UK exchange rate makes it a tiny bit more palatable but it's still a bit too much.

My main issue with the machine is the screen size. 5.5 inches is fine for the Switch Lite (which is GPD's justification) but for a machine running Windows it's going to be awkward for most non-gaming tasks, while text heavy games will be borderline eye-strain inducing. I tried a few Remote Desktop and Steam Stream things via my phone and it was barely workable from a visual perspective - and my phone has a 6 inch screen.

Switch Lite's titles are (mostly) optimised for the screen size, but that won't be the case here for most Windows titles, gaming and non, which is a huge shame.

Imo, the reliance on Windows and having to make profit purely from hardware is not a great combo. That's why I'm hoping we eventually get a handheld Steam machine once Linux / Proton support matures a bit more. Would have an BPM-like OS that would suit smaller screen gaming well, they could probably very easily curate a list of games that work well on the machine based only on hardware requirements, and they would likely easily be able to make money from software instead of hardware. I bet they could get away with something for $300-400 if they wanted.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
I thought this would make a good xcloud machine but that price is too high to justify the purchase.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Something like this, but with Apple's M1 chip would rock.
Hope MS gets their act together with their ARM chipsets. x86 power guzzling compromises this form factor.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Damn, that's thicc.

I've been looking at the GPD Win 2 and alterntatives for a few years now and they've all had issues that I wasn't fond of, this might be the first time I dive into a pocket PC like this.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
That's why I'm hoping we eventually get a handheld Steam machine once Linux / Proton support matures a bit more.

It's funny you should mention that since I was thinking GamerOS would go great with this if the controller/keyboard get sufficient mainline support. For anyone who isn't aware, GamerOS is basically what Steam OS was supposed to be- it uses Steam's big-picture mode and has a lot of nice quality-of-life features to make it a set-and-forget console-like experience. It also has support for some extra stuff so you can launch non-Steam games and applications from BPM with just your gamepad.

With how strong Proton's support already is, I imagine many buyers wouldn't mind them shipping it with Linux and giving instructions for how to install Windows to get the price down. After all, a lot of the people in GPD's audience tinker with the software extensively after the fact, having to install Windows wouldn't be a stretch. Or, perhaps more ideally, they could just sell it at a discount if you choose a Linux or no OS option.

In any case, with that 1 TB storage, a dual-boot would actually be feasible, then you could play games that perform better on Linux there. With DXVK yielding some surprising performance gains even in some D3D11 titles, not to mention the giant leaps in D3D9 games, I imagine that would be desirable on more constrained hardware such as this. Stuff like Nier Automata's Mesa performance vs. Windows springs to mind.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
It's funny you should mention that since I was thinking GamerOS would go great with this if the controller/keyboard get sufficient mainline support. For anyone who isn't aware, GamerOS is basically what Steam OS was supposed to be- it uses Steam's big-picture mode and has a lot of nice quality-of-life features to make it a set-and-forget console-like experience. It also has support for some extra stuff so you can launch non-Steam games and applications from BPM with just your gamepad.

With how strong Proton already is, I would have no problem with them shipping it with Linux and giving instructions for how to install Windows to get the price down. Or, perhaps more ideally, they could just sell it at a discount if you choose a Linux or no OS option.

I think something like this would directly have to be funded by a big first party for it to result in a pretty affordable product though. Fortunately Steam has an already existing 30k+ game library.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Almost Ā£720 for that? Yeesh. I had really hoped technology had developed far enough by now that you could get great performance in a portable device at far less cost, like half that, but I guess that'll never happen.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah Belmonkey, if that kind of project had some strong support for both the hardware and software side, along with enough financial backing to enable some economies of scale, we could see something really special. I hope the Win3 and Aya Neo see enough success that bigger PC manufacturers start to take notice and make some real plans, kind of like what Dell has hinted at with the Alienware UFO prototype. It seems like Proton has improved just enough and mobile APUs finally have enough performance overhead that ditching Windows might actually be a viable cost-cutting measure for these products.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the look of this, but damn at the price. Also given that it's going to be coming from abroad, I worry about the post-sale support...what if there's issues with the unit? Send it to China to be fixed? How will the warranty work?

Does anyone have any past experience of this with previous machines?

Thanks.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
No way in 7 hells will I put a dollar towards this without a metric ton of positive first-hand impressions. The WIN 2 represents one of the most frustrating experiences I've had with consumer electronics.

I dream of that Alienware UFO prototype becoming a reality.