• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think a lot of people are missing Xbox's push for software. I don't think they care if it's just 10 units to now 20. They just want to be in a position of growth where they're able to secure content from Japan which in-turn boosts content offerings for everyone else.

There isn't a scenario where they're not niche in japan. But there's definitely plenty of change in the JP content they'll receive.

PapaShango

Oct 27, 2017
Fastest growing can be very misleading. Large % increases look impressive when the denominator is low to begin with!

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trusting Microsoft anymore on building up their Japanese game catalogue. I bought a 360 for games like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and Tales of Vesperia, then JRPG's dropped off the face of the earth. Microsoft will half commit to the Japanese game initiative each time, then back away.
I mean....they have had a fully blown change in leadership since then man. Not saying don't be skeptical but there are a lot more factors at play here.

Hell they have been taking regular trips to Japan and paid for PSO2 to finally make it over to the states after 8 years lol

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I swear some of y'all would feel personally insulted if Xbox actually did well in Japan XD

Oct 25, 2017
Bro I would love for them to go back to Xbox growth ala Xbox 360 era. Feels like a dream, Sure there wasn't any domination but they were trying.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
I'd really like to see this. Everywhere I go here, the presence of Xbox is minimal compared to PS and Ninty stuff. Hell, I can't even seeing an Xbox exclusive ad in public spaces or in-store.

spwolf

Oct 27, 2017
Since the April debut of Xbox Game Pass for console an PC in Japan, Spencer said there have been "more players on Xbox devices, games, and services than at any time in our history in the market."

Over the summer, Spencer said monthly active users for Xbox Live grew 82% year-over-year. (He did not mention the impact the COVID-19 pandemic may have had on that figure.)

i mean they sold 31 units last week? And their YTD is actually down frm last year by >30%?
www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2020 (Sep 14 - Sep 20) Sales

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2020 (Sep 14 - Sep 20) 01./00. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo) {2020.09.18} (¥6.480) 02./02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980) 03./01. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons # (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980) 04./00. [PS4]...

wtf.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
4ba9e6d80d64c990dd8e82ebeeca729b.jpg
This was that goodness I was looking for.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
People from the Media Create sales threads

template-allow-us-to-introduce-ourselves-0c6db91aec9c.jpg

I also study those charts and threads weekly

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't know it was coming so soon, definitely could be their real foot in the door to the market. I also think MS could moneyhat for Granblue Fantasy Relink on GamePass day one considering how big that franchise is over there.
Please no, I've been waiting on this game for too long to be arsed to sub to gamepass to play it lol

Edit: Wait, I read that wrong thinking you meant exclusive to GamePass initially

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
If Game Pass streaming takes off in a major way in Japan, we might see Japanese games coming to Xbox consoles because of mobile.

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Vita sold more than any xbox product in Japan. That's not going to change.

You know, its not that Xbox has got a bad reputation in Japan per se,

Its more like its considered a 'hardcore' console, for people who are especially keen on Wester-type games (although most of its library is shared with PS4?).

freeradical

Oct 27, 2017
i mean they sold 31 units last week? And their YTD is actually down frm last year by >30%?
www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2020 (Sep 14 - Sep 20) Sales

Media Create Sales: Week 38, 2020 (Sep 14 - Sep 20) 01./00. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo) {2020.09.18} (¥6.480) 02./02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980) 03./01. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons # (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980) 04./00. [PS4]...

wtf.
Dont see where the "wtf" is. Clearly states "Console and PC". With Gamepass growing, you are going to see growth in Xbox Live.
It's good to see them try and push into this market again (feel like they gave up with the One). MS would be ecstatic if they sold a decent number of consoles, but their big focus will be Xcloud/Gamepass.

Daebo

Oct 26, 2017
Cincinnati
Man, some of you are so hard on to diss PS and xbox, you didnt even listen to what he said. The gamepass on PC very well could have exploded. As long in the ecosystem.

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
PS5 will probably be the lowest selling playstation in Japan judging on its size and weight.
What hope does the X-Series X have in Japan?
PS2 outsold the PS3 and PS3 outsold PS4 in Japan.

Japan like's tiny systems that are made by Japanese companies.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
I always get the sense that the people screaming for missing JRPGs are sitting in the apartment here in the US and shit on Xbox sales in Japan.

4KLobster

Dec 17, 2017
Japan
I'm thinking it's not really about console sales here, it seems likely they're finding increased success outside of that.

Yep, most likely PC GamePass growth over the last few months.

Incidentally, on this morning NHK news, they surprised me by providing some lengthy coverage of TGS with a healthy dose of Animal Crossing (and some Biden in it) then quickly showing both the PS5 and the SeriesX for a few seconds, acknowledging that XBox does exist :)

Would be surprised should Series S/X break one million sales here, but XCloud could get some traction by providing access to some games that do not have Android / iOS version.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the UK will receive more than 4 units.
Probably 😂
I'm kinda surprised it hasn't sold out though, I kinda assumed that thing would have more limited quantities than the X at launch and so even though the X is where "early adopters" are more likely to go, the S would also sell through their limited allotment.
I'm sure they will eventually (especially at launch itself) it's just a weird thing to see. Also, one that makes me keep considering buying one because like...they're just there...in stock...hmmm

ProtossX

Jul 24, 2020
I thought Japan wasn't big on video streaming yet? I read that they are one of the slowest nations to embrace video streaming services and still use a lot of physical media. Why would they love game streaming if they don't even like video streaming?

Aug 13, 2020
The Xbox One sales show, that likely every US soldier stationed in Japan bought their Xbox. The yearly numbers also are in range of yearly fluctuation, I guess. Of course some Japanese also buy the XBox, but looking at sales of western games sold in Japan (for PS4 and Switch), they are more a fluctuation, and no Japanese will buy the XBox to play western multiplatform anyway.

FYI, i checked Halo 5 sales numbers, joined Famitsu sales on 11 in first week. Gears 5 not even listet in first week in Top 30. But this might be because of Gamepass, as I think this will be the best reason in Japan to buy Xbox.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed, PS5 doesn't have any japanese developed games at launch, meanwhile Series X has Yakuza and Tetris