• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018

Not my favorite Nintendo handheld, but it did very well in it's short life cycle. Also Mother 3 is the GOAT.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
The perfect system with the best games. It will never be eclipsed! If only the original model was backlit. SP and Micro hurt my hands.
This is the one I bought with Tony hawk 2. Also Minish Cap is the best Zelda.
51662GYBNJL._AC_SX466_.jpg

eddiemunstr

Jan 20, 2019
It was such an awesome system, but its still crazy how short its life was. When I think back on it it feels like it lasted longer (probably due to its awesome library). I still prefer the feel of the original model, it was much more comfortable to hold.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I had a Game Boy Advance SP and I regret not playing it more growing up.

RaidenXZ

Oct 27, 2017
Between this and Linkin Park Hybrid Theory celebrating 20th anniversaries, I'm having a really big nostalgia kick for the summer of 2001.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
My first system that was actually mine. Got the Gold Pikachu edition for Christmas one year. Will always have fond memories of it.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just crazy how time flies. I remember angling it to get the light just right with my bedside lamp until the SP came along with its frontlight The original GBA has the best and most ergonomic form-factor though from the entire GBA hardware line up.

There are just too many great memories to list. It is one of my favorite systems of all time and I'm still playing my Classic NES Edition all these years later fairly regularly.

Golden Age blew my mind with its graphics, and Advance Wars + Fire Emblem really got me addicted too. Wario Ware got its start on the system and showed what fun was all about, and there were also some very impressive SNES ports at the time from the Mario and Zelda series. Metroid Fusion is also a fantastic entry in its series. And it even had portable Mario Kart and 3 freaking F-Zero games (but only two came over to the US).

But my absolute favorite memories with it were Metroid Zero Mission, Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap, and Castlevania Circle of the Moon. Man, I have chills just thinking about how much I loved those three games in particular.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The 20 year anniversary of the GBA would have been an opportune time to announce the Nintendo Switch Advance.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
I remember my ex at the time giving it to me for Christmas. I got a good amount of use out of it, especially when traveling.

I also remember those reading lights on airplanes being THE perfect GBA lamp.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how hard it was to see the screen on this thing. There were like two lighting conditions in the world where the screen was fully visible.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
An awesome portable that was a huge step up from GBC in terms of hardware and games. Zero Mission, Astro Boy, Wario Ware, Castlevania, Advance Wars, Dotstream, etc. kicked ass. Sequels to Gunstar Heroes, Guardian Heroes, Shinobi, and Zelda were disappointments, though.

How did this get approved:

Last edited:

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
WOW.

I remember lining up at bestBuy at 7am to snag one. I must've been 12 years old.

I think Tony Hawk was my first game for it...?

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I'll always have a huge soft spot for the GBA. As someone from the UK, one of my favourite memories is my dad coming home from a business trip to Asia in April 2001, and bringing back a Game Boy Advance and Japanese copies of Super Mario Advance and F-Zero: Maximum Velocity.

I was 12 years old and I can remember showing my friends F-Zero in school the next day - they were absolutely blown away by the graphics. You have to remember at this point people were still playing Pokémon Silver on the Game Boy Color.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
Got this on day one with tony hawk and castlevania. Excellent times.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
The day of the GBA release, I walked the 10 blocks down the street to the local target, bought the glacier GBA, Castlevania and Rayman.

then proceeded to spend hours trying to figure out how to actually see ANYTHING in castlevania.

weird things about the GBA, GB and GBC titles were much darker on myGBA than on the original hardware, almost like a dark filter was on there. Made playing DQIII really hard.
Finally solved the visibility issue at home by playing with a lamp directly above me but not pointed straight at the screen.

Enjoyed every second of it, such a fun little console.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Man I was crazy hyped about GBA launch. IGN said that there will be full 3D games on the system and I'm dying to see how it worked. Iridion was one of my launch games and yeah, the whole 3D games on the go was pure magic.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I remember being impressed with the "32 bit" marketing. Like wow this is just as powerful as a PlayStation! And it's handheld!

and then Nintendo launches it with an NES port

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I realized after making this post in the Nintendo general thread that this thread existed, so I'm going to quote my thoughts on bringing GBA games to Switch here:

While it is indeed a no brainer to put GBA games (and Gameboy games generally) on Switch for ultra easy accessibility, Gameboy hardware has to be some of the most easily accessible and easily modified (due to overall abundance of parts) retro hardware in existence. And because it has it's own screen, there's no component cable barrier to overcome for optimum experience. I still play my backlit modded AGB semi-regularly. By far the oldest console that sees regular use.

Software on the other hand is slightly harder to come by depending on your proximity to local game stores and the specific title you're talking about. 10 years ago was a treasure trove of super cheap Gameboy games of all kinds and I was lucky enough to recognize that that was the time to buy, but nowadays, prices are getting pretty rediculous. Luckily though, if you're not a collector and don't care about having authentic cartridges, buying repro carts is relatively cheap and reliable.

All of this is to say, if had to rank the "dire-ness" of Nintendo's consoles that need VC or NSO official preservation efforts, I'd rank it as follows:

1. VirutalBoy - It still baffles me that no effort was made to convert this tiny hard to find library into a 3DS virtual console library. With that ship sailed, I don't know if these games will ever be officially archived/accessible again.

2. Gamecube - These tiny discs exacerbate the problem of disc rot that is impending for all game discs.

3. N64 - Cartridges are better than discs, but N64's output options unmodified are pretty pitiful.

4. Gameboy/GBA - See above.

Jan 29, 2018
I'm ready for Nintendo to start capitalizing on GBA & Gamecube nostalgia instead of NES & SNES. Put out a backlit GBA Classic Edition with 25 games on it already.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
What was the other one?

I'm trying to remember... I think it was outdoors on a cloudy day.

None of the attachment lights worked. Direct sunlight didn't work. Normal office lighting didn't work. Normal house lighting didn't work. Bedside lamps didn't work.

Needless to say, the SP's backlight was an absolute revelation.

I couldn't believe Nintendo released the GBA in that state after 2 seconds of using the SP.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
One of the best systems ever made.

I played so much Pokemon, Advance Wars and Golden Sun on that little screen. Damn I miss those times.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
One of the best systems ever. Still remember the day I got mine and a copy of Sonic Advance. It felt like such an upgrade at the time and it was. So many good games that still hold up to this day. Fond memories of playing Sacred Stones on it too

Cheers!

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I loved my Advanced and SP. I remember playing Ruby and Sapphire with friends, going back to old classics like the Terminator 2 games, Super Mario land. Obi Wan Adventures, the Doom port, and of course Metroid 2.

But I probably spent most of my time with it playing Metroid Fusion.

I remember jumping ship when they went to the DS and it being this large handheld with this tacked on screen... that was when I jumped off Nintendo handhelds.

uncledonnie

Oct 26, 2017
I just sold most of my GBA collection on eBay (for crazy prices) and it was definitely bittersweet testing each cartridge out before putting it up for sale. Had to stop and play quite a bit along the way. One of my favorite consoles ever

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a kid I was disappointed that the game boy advance didn't have 4 face buttons and that the cool metallic/neon colors from the announcement were changed for boring ones. But overall I loved the game boy advance and love reading about it, here is an article that pays tribute to the GBA
miscrave.com

MiscRave & the Game Boy Advance » MiscRave

Resouce to the rule of cool whether it's Music, Tech, Games, Animation or Continuity, if it's odd, it's here.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this console. For a while I ran the biggest GBA website in the UK, but there was such a long stretch without any decent releases that it just kind of petered out.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
Such a huge upgrade from Game Boy in both hardware and games. Ultimately I didn't get around to playing that many games on it, I guess because it had a relatively short lifespan, but Castlevania, Yoshi's Island and Astro Boy was excellent stuff.

Edit: Not even four years in Europe before the DS was released 😐

Last edited:

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Loved my GBA. Only ever had the original model rather than the SP.

I wanted the glacier color, but my parents got me the arctic white. Was so excited to get it, I didn't care that the color wasn't my preferred one lol. The first games I had for it were Wario Land 4 and Konami Krazy Racers. This song from the latter is forever ingrained in my mind.

The GBA introduced me to Fire Emblem and tactics games as a whole, along with my still-#1 favorite Final Fantasy game: Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. And I had some good times with it when using the GBA as a controller for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles with my sisters for multiplayer.

Unfortunately, my GBA had an incident where the back battery cover got messed up and has to be held on with tape (the tab just snapped once when I was changing batteries), and the screen has a weird burn-in issue that eventually fades, but it takes a LONG time. I keep it for the memories more than anything, since I can play GBA games on the Gamecube Game Boy Player thing or my DS Lite.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't end up getting much for the system besides Pokemon and I'm saddened by my limited collection. I need to change that one of these days.