• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
'Thorough investigations' are not automated.

What I mean to say is the whole thing started because people tripped the automated system by mass reporting their guild name which forced the situation they're now in. It's being thoroughly investigated now after the fact, but it was their broken automated system that led to this in the first place (which never should have happened).

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for them to change the guild name of the "STRAIGHT BOYS" guild, what a joke Blizzard has become these days.

Aug 28, 2019
I found that incident from 2006 I was thinking of.

https://www.cnet.com/news/online-game-warns-gay-lesbian-guild/

In recruitment messages she posted on WoW, she wrote that the guild was not "'glbt only,' but we are 'glbt friendly.'"

To WoW publisher Blizzard Entertainment, however, Andrews' message was out of bounds. The Irvine, Calif.-based game publisher said her recruiting was a violation of the game's harassment policy, specifically the section of that policy regarding sexual orientation. Andrews was quickly warned in an e-mail to stop recruiting inside the game and to take all such efforts to forums outside WoW's virtual world. Andrews was also warned that if she didn't stop recruiting for the guild inside WoW, she risked being banned from the game.

The incident has generated debate about the way the site's rules are being enforced by the game's publisher, Blizzard Entertainment, which says it is only trying to protect the guild from harassment by other gamers.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Well, can't say I'm very surprised, years ago I reported a lvl 60 toon named "Gaybasher" and been told there's nothing inappropriate about that name, "unfortunately".

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
And we thought last year's Blizzcon couldn't get any worse.

This year's will be one to remember.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall guilds named "Rogues do it from behind" back in the day, but apparently self describing as gay is more controversial than a rather blunt reference to anal sex.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What I mean to say is the whole thing started because people tripped the automated system by mass reporting their guild name which forced the situation they're now in. It's being thoroughly investigated now after the fact, but it was their broken automated system that led to this in the first place (which never should have happened).
I wouldn't be surprised if the intent behind the system was honest... once. A lot of people flagging something offensive leading to immediate action so that it doesn't linger any longer than it has to.

The problem is that here in 2019 we know those systems don't actually work as intended and are prime targets of abuse. It's common knowledge, but companies still do it to save on support staff.
You can't even cancel a pre-order? That can't be legal.
Depending on how the license is doled out and the part of the world you live in, they're probably allowed to block a request. Nintendo may honor the request if you call support, but they don't have to.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to recall guilds named "Rogues do it from behind" back in the day, but apparently self describing as gay is more controversial than a rather blunt reference to anal sex.

I remember a very prolific guild name, 'Sapped girls don't say no' being on nearly every server.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Being told to hide who I am or be discrete with my identity does not make me feel protected. Queer people shouldn't have to accept anything short of total acceptance.

You are describing a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Protecting players from harassment means banning harassment, not quietly shuffling people back in to the closet.
Great post.

s1lver

Oct 28, 2017
Being told to hide who I am or be discrete with my identity does not make me feel protected. Queer people shouldn't have to accept anything short of total acceptance.

You are describing a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Protecting players from harassment means banning harassment, not quietly shuffling people back in to the closet.

Basically this, great post.

I could understand if by a large number of troll reports they would investigate or think that the Guild name would be mocking gay people, but after an investigation they still won't back down? What the f*** is going on with Blizzard?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
JbqYw0Y.png

It looks like the name was reverted fwiw.

Classic, Blaumeux, Alliance-side. /who GAY BOYS

Last edited:

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
But what if I'm NOT gay and want to be in a guild?!

(I'll let Liz warren answer)

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, "from behind" has strong anal implications? I thought it referred to positions (eg doggy) that were orifice-agnostic?

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty sure most people inferred that though. The fact that it's Rogues, a class about sneaking, "doing it" also carries certain implications.
IIRC, Rogue class has an attack where you get critical hit by going invis and start an attack from behind. That guild name could just be a reference for both really.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The guild sent an appeal so I hope Blizzard reconsiders this.

Based on past behavior by discriminatory groups changing the name immediately was fine because some people can be obnoxious with their names. But I hope Blizzard uses this opportunity to show they understand nuance because people more comfortable with being public about their identities these discriminatory groups used to mock in the past in game should be allowed to express themselves accordingly.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The process is automated. If enough players report ANY name, it gets flagged and forced to change.

Back in the vanilla days, my guild logged in one day to see that it's name was changed from "WWN" (which was the name of the old boards we all met/formed on) to Guild of the Whale (and horde side to Guild of the Monkey) because people on the server decided to mass report to as advertisement.

People also use this method as a way to get a free name change for their characters. Just ask everyone in trade/general chat to report your name as much as possible and bam, you'd get flagged and have to change it to something else.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I legit thought it wasnt "allowed" to use the word gay these days. Just a tad on the confused side of things.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
the unnamed moderator made clear that this kind of automatic takedown may very well happen again: "There isn't a way to stop people from reporting this name, as some find the way the term is used offensive. If you get actioned again, you can appeal like this, and we can look at it once more. For now, though, you have your guild name back!"

So, why the fuck can't they put a flag on the account saying ignore reports for this guild name?

It's okay for now, unless internet assholes want to continue being internet assholes and mass report you again, in which case oh well sucks to be you.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
the unnamed moderator made clear that this kind of automatic takedown may very well happen again: "There isn't a way to stop people from reporting this name, as some find the way the term is used offensive. If you get actioned again, you can appeal like this, and we can look at it once more. For now, though, you have your guild name back!"

So, why the fuck can't they put a flag on the account saying ignore reports for this guild name?

It's okay for now, unless internet assholes want to continue being internet assholes and mass report you again, in which case oh well sucks to be you.
They probably do not have the ability. It was never coded in, and its not trivial to add it.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
They probably do not have the ability. It was never coded in, and its not trivial to add it.
They don't have the ability to add a note to this account saying, "Hey, we've already moderated this once and it's just a bunch of incels brigading, the name is fine"?

If an actual human is reviewing these moderations, they are looking at account information. They don't have the technology to add a simple note saying "Hey, ignore these dipshits. It's cool."

Or they just don't care to?

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I figured this would get overturned. LGBTQ guilds in WoW aren't that uncommon, and the report feature is pretty easily abused.

I know some people used it to get free name changes by calling for people to mass-report their names, even though there was nothing wrong with them.

They don't have the ability to add a note to this account saying, "Hey, we've already moderated this once and it's just a bunch of incels brigading, the name is fine"?

I think the "ban" function is automatic once it hits a threshold of reports.

edit: But yes, this situation was some real BS.

Rokam

Oct 29, 2017

The system auto changes the name/guild name when enough people report it. So I'm sure there will be a note regarding this, but it won't be seen until the guild members reach out to Blizzard and get it changed back. Basically there is no interaction with an actual human being until you try to fight the name change.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I wanna laugh too, eli5 please :(

Woops, that was meant to be a reply to this post:

Not that I have an urgent need to defend Blizzard right now but I'm a member of one of the formerly super-large lgbt warcraft guilds and as far as I know Blizzard has usually been very helpful to our guildmasters about protecting our admittedly provocative guild name (Taint, short for The Spreading Taint).

We ran into issues during Legion though when they renamed our pandaren alt-spillover guild named Bear Taint. We were not allowed to keep that one.

I'm still laughing.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
the GAY BOYS are back in town!
glad this got sorted, shit it was ever an issue.

funnily enough i wasn't able to use my surname on my xbox live profile because it has cock in it, haha.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck sake Blizzard. Are you trying to make yourselves look as shit as possible this October?

data

Oct 25, 2017
The system auto changes the name/guild name when enough people report it. So I'm sure there will be a note regarding this, but it won't be seen until the guild members reach out to Blizzard and get it changed back. Basically there is no interaction with an actual human being until you try to fight the name change.
Highly doubt this was automated.

An email, apparently sent by Blizzard Customer Service, indicated that the guild's name-change process began because "your fellow players reported your in-game name as inappropriate multiple times." From there, the email cites "a thorough investigation" that also led to the guild's creator receiving a temporary account suspension. The suspension was later overturned, but the guild's name remains "Guild ZFXPK."

If a thorough investigation means that it was automated, just goes to show how much they actually care about their userbase. I'm sure if this didn't make the news, Blizzard would've kept the name in it's generic form