• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This thread will probably get merged, but he's right. Souls games already have so many built-in options for customizing one's own personal difficulty as a general rule, and Demon's is by far the easiest of the bunch.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i understand if you didnt wanna add it out of respect for the original. but 'there shouldnt be'? stop it.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
This thread will probably get merged, but he's right. Souls games already have so many built-in options for customizing one's own personal difficulty as a general rule, and Demon's is by far the easiest of the bunch.
I recall getting Demon's Souls back when it dropped on PS3 and I couldn't beat it. I didn't even get very far, all I remember was reaching a way to where I couldn't get past an opponent. For Bloodborne though, there was an initial point where I literally couldn't breakthrough for a while. I kept dying in one of the first mobs of enemies you faced lol. So with that said I guess that proves your comment about Demon's Souls being easier than the rest.

EliVilla

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Was going to ask if it's not too hard. I like Sekiro so if it's like that I'm down to try it.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
giphy.gif

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Completely expected that for DeS to not have difficulty options as no other soulsborne games do.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I recall getting Demon's Souls back when it dropped on PS3 and I couldn't beat it. I didn't even get very far, all I remember was reaching a way to where I couldn't get past an opponent. For Bloodborne though, there was an initial point where I literally couldn't breakthrough for a while. I kept dying in one of the first mobs of enemies you faced lol. So with that said I guess that proves your comment about Demon's Souls being easier than the rest.

You probably found one of the optional Red Eye or Blue Eye Knight enemies. They're such a gigantic power leap over the other enemies in the starting area that they function as an effective gameplay brick wall until you realize that they almost always guard optional paths or treasure rooms and you can skip them until you're more powerful.

They're basically a diegetic "TRY AGAIN LATER" sign.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
If they didn't nerf magic spam, for those who want an Easy Mode, there it is.

I won't post specifics, but there is one spell that was infamous for defeating bosses in just a few hits. Easy Mode was always in the game. Magic is the most broken in Demon's Souls, so if you thought later games gave you immense power, you ain't seen shit.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'll never play these games, then. If they're okay with leaving out a portion of the potential player base that's their choice. But it's absolutely a choice they are consciously making.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
This is the first time I'll be really active at the launch of a Dark's Soul game. Coop will be fun, once I beat a boss I'll hop in and help some people.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He understand the vision of From and MiyazakI. That's good to hear.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Not every piece of media is made with the intention of being for everyone.

I hope that doesn't sound condescending, as I'm not knee deep in that toxic community, (only really played and completed Bloodborne), but it really is an artistic choice.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I personally prefer no difficulty options because I really appreciate not being able to customize the game and having to deal with it as it is or drop it - it's a feeling I enjoy a lot and I've actually dropped games that let me customize them too much before because then I always think "oh was that too easy? Should I make it harder? Is this too hard now?" and I focus on that instead of the game. So as far as my personal taste goes this is great.

But it does suck because some people with disabilities can't enjoy the game. I'm lucky that my disabilities don't keep me from playing.

Ive always struggled with the fact that I want difficulty options for the sake of letting everyone play but also don't want them as far as my personal enjoyment goes. I guess people being able to play them is more important than me enjoying them though.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
That's all that all the From games ask.

You definitely need twitch skills in Armored Core games. Patience will only go so far.

Not every piece of media is made with the intention of being for everyone.

I hope that doesn't sound condescending, as I'm not knee deep in that toxic community, (only really played and completed Bloodborne), but it really is an artistic choice.

As someone who doesn't play on Easy, there's nothing artistic about it. Some games are designed around making it harder to design other difficulties but Souls games definitely are not.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I agree, there shouldn't be global difficulty options, but after playing TLOU2 I want EVERY 1st party PS5 game to have the same or similar accessibility options.

Demon's Soul would benefit a lot more from these accessibility options than difficulty.

I loved Ghost of Tsushima, but after playing TLOU2 every day I played it I kept wishing we had some of those settings in here.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Wow, what an egotistical stance to take on this matter. Having difficulty options hurts no one. But fine, if you don't want me to ever play your game, that's more money in my pocket.

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
Don't really get the difficulty complaints with the Souls games. You have summons, those are the options to make the game easier. You can summon offline NPCs for a bit of help or just get some help online and let someone basically beat a boss on it's own for you. I understand the complaints for Sekiro, because it lacked summons, but the souls games have those options. I don't think an additional easy mode is needed and I have the feeling some of the complaining people don't even know of those options.
The souls games are also not that hard, once you try them. 100+-percenting Crash 4 was a tougher and more frustrating challenge for me than Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro. At this point the games have some mythical aura and reputation that makes them seem harder than they are. Don't get me wrong they are challenging games, but you don"t need to be some super amazing hardcore gamer to beat them. I had too much respect for those games too and always wondered if I am good enough to finish those games and now I am easily rushing through NG+++++ in Bloodborne and DLC and most of the games challenges are a cakewalk. Don't have too much respect of those games and try them if you want, there are ton of things to enjoy in those games outside from their challenge and Sekiro aside you can get help if you struggle.

Quote myself from the other thread. Souls games have already difficulty options. And obviously they are also RPGs, so you can make your life easier with levelling up or changing weapons/using magic etc...

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
No buy for me then. I'm 37 with a family and demanding career. I get about 3 hours a week to play games. Can't be bothered to have one that just frustrates. I dropped the original after about two hours.

And people saying having options is a bad thing....what.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a design task to implement something like this and I'd love to someone try it on the next original Souls game (from FS). It's fine that it's not in this one, IMO, since it's a remaster but there's no need to be smug or dismissive about it. I say that as someone who's finished every FS Souls/Souls-adjacent game.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Stupid stance

fortunately, The Last of Us 2 was a huge step in the right direction
I think accessibility will get a lot better overall this gen

Also I totally understand arguments that adding difficulty modes is a ton of work but you could just like double damage, double health, or even add invincibility for accessibility

I would also be angry if they just made the base game easier, but there is truly no good argument against adding accessibility options

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.