• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it just now. I must be terrible at this game cos it took me 4 hours šŸ˜‚ 84% completion rate.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Saw this while browsing the e shop and thought it looked cool. Good to know my instincts were right- I'll pick it up tonight!

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it earlier this afternoon and really liked it. It's kind of like a deconstructed Metroid Fusion mechanically, and as that's my favorite Metroid this was a perfect fit. Would definitely be down for a more fleshed out sequel

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The length discussion is giving me Xeodrifter vibes, which was tight, compact, and a blast. Will grab this I think, though I sadly approach these types of releases with trepidation due to every moderately-successful game getting a physical release eventually.

Gigan

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, so... I maaay be stupid, but I feel like I fucked up, somehow ?
I'm cleaning up the maps, and I find that big vertical room, with spikes on the sides. I wall jump all the way to the top, while taking some damage. I end up in a big horizontal room, with spikes and lava which lead to a room with a life tank (playing in french, so I don't know the english names, sorry).
I'm like, it was weirdly hard to get to this room, but I made it. Cool. But... now, how do I get out of it ? The exit from the life tank room is too high for me to reach with my armor, but in cat mode, I just can't get through the other side of the spikes/lava room. And the game auto-saved in the life tank room.
What am I missing here ?

Also, made a drawing cause I love being laughed at.
256v18l.jpg

...ok... Double-jumped, and rocketed the wall while holding the jump button. I didn't even know I could do that...

Last edited:

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Just picked this up after watching Kyle Bosman play the beginning section.

This looks adorable and fun.

Oct 25, 2017
MĆ©xico
Ok, so... I maaay be stupid, but I feel like I fucked up, somehow ?
I'm cleaning up the maps, and I find that big vertical room, with spikes on the sides. I wall jump all the way to the top, while taking some damage. I end up in a big horizontal room, with spikes and lava which lead to a room with a life tank (playing in french, so I don't know the english names, sorry).
I'm like, it was weirdly hard to get to this room, but I made it. Cool. But... now, how do I get out of it ? The exit from the life tank room is too high for me to reach with my armor, but in cat mode, I just can't get through the other side of the spikes/lava room. And the game auto-saved in the life tank room.
What am I missing here ?

Also, made a drawing cause I love being laughed at.
256v18l.jpg

...ok... Double-jumped, and rocketed the wall while holding the jump button. I didn't even know I could do that...
It's a known bug. I did the same, and I was able to get out the same way as you. Developer said on Twitter that the game is going to get a patch to fix the issue.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
What does it look like when you die or when you die in cat only form? Just wanna make sure it's not creepy looking.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this today, but I think missed a cartridge and maybe a life upgrade. I really liked it though. It definitely feels like a more linear-progressing Metroid. Most of all I just love playing as a cat. Not like an anthropomorphic cat. Just a regular cat (albeit one who can pilot a mech suit!). But when outside of the suit, she runs like a cat and climbs walls and fits into small places. It just meows and makes cute/funny faces in the text boxes. I love cats, so this was just super adorable. Took me about four hours. For under $7, this was just a real solid buy.

samb_rules

Jan 16, 2018
Oh maaaaan I am so into this game but have got my self stuck in a room (with a save point, so can't just die and reset) that I guess I shouldn't have been able to reach yet? Seems like I need some kind of extra jump upgrade to get out.. Nobody knows of any soft reset methods to start back at the ship or some kinda cheesy wall climbing method?

Worst part of all of this is that I was half heartedly button mashing and pretty much got myself out, which makes me think that with speedrunner-like precision (that I do not have, nor the patience to learn really) it might actually be possible.. It's what I get for wanting all the cartridges!

ALSO QUICK EDIT: If there's no fix I'd happily just replay the game, am not blaming my particular situation on the devs in any way, it is totally wicked and one of the nicest feeling games I've played in ages. This game kicks ass!!

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
My roommate, girlfriend and I have an undying love for cats. That, and I love the art style of this game. I really would like to get this! A bit bummed by the super short playtime, but I'm down to get it since it's on sale. Seems like a great little game.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Whenever people liken games to Metroid, I tend to disagree, so you can imagine my initial reaction when seeing the thread title here... But after watching that trailer I was like, wow... Metroid but with a cat... I need this.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Like in a way that's meant to indicate it's violently being killed? In 2D, I mean. I think that's probably gonna be a bit much for me, how ever much it looks fake. Anyway, thank you for the info.

A white explosion basically covers the main character and they disappear with the effect. There's not much to it in terms of any implied violence.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Whenever people liken games to Metroid, I tend to disagree, so you can imagine my initial reaction when seeing the thread title here... But after watching that trailer I was like, wow... Metroid but with a cat... I need this.
It's mostly linear though, almost impossible to get lost. Don't let that deter you though, the game is pretty good; a very condensed Metroid.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's amazing the difference a name can make. I figured this would be a cute throw-away indie cat game until I saw Devolvers name on it.

I'll add it to my wishlist for a sale down the road.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Beat it in two hours according to Steam. I misunderstood the frog engineer's request and thought he wanted "transistors", since those don't exist I didn't check back with him so I didn't have his gun upgrades...

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this today and really enjoyed it overall. 100% in 5 hours, though I did have to look up how to constantly rocket jump to get to a few secrets.
A short but cute and well designed game that controls well, 4 out of 5.

A few nitpicks-
-I had 1 crash while playing (on the Switch)
-I wish you could see maps for area's other than just the one you're currently in.
-A counter in menu for the main collectible would be nice, you have to traverse back to an NPC to get a tally if you're not keeping track.
-The bosses are good, but they take too many hits and once you have the pattern down the encounters go on too long.
-I'd rather have seen enemies drop small health restoring orbs like in Mega Man instead of dropping nothing. They could get rid of a few save stations this way too (there's like 37 of them). Other than rooms that only unlock once you clear all the enemies, there's no real incentive to do anything but get past them. I'm not suggesting a leveling system w/ experience points, but maybe having a bestiary with entries that unlock by taking out one of each type or art gallery unlocks with individual enemy type quota's (i.e. unlock squid enemy art by killing ten of them).

Here's some fan art I did-

gato_roboto_fan_art_by_neal_akuma_dd8sxh3-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I beat this today and really enjoyed it overall. 100% in 5 hours, though I did have to look up how to constantly rocket jump to get to a few secrets.
A short but cute and well designed game that controls well, 4 out of 5.

A few nitpicks-
-I had 1 crash while playing (on the Switch)
-I wish you could see maps for area's other than just the one you're currently in.
-A counter in menu for the main collectible would be nice, you have to traverse back to an NPC to get a tally if you're not keeping track.
-The bosses are good, but they take too many hits and once you have the pattern down the encounters go on too long.
-I'd rather have seen enemies drop small health restoring orbs like in Mega Man instead of dropping nothing. They could get rid of a few save stations this way too (there's like 37 of them). Other than rooms that only unlock once you clear all the enemies, there's no real incentive to do anything but get past them. I'm not suggesting a leveling system w/ experience points, but maybe having a bestiary with entries that unlock by taking out one of each type or art gallery unlocks with individual enemy type quota's (i.e. unlock squid enemy art by killing ten of them).

Here's some fan art I did-

gato_roboto_fan_art_by_neal_akuma_dd8sxh3-fullview.jpg
Lovely art! Great work!

One of mankind's biggest question finally got answered: "What if Samus Aran would be a cat?!"
It's a cute and charming little game, and I had a good time with it. Pretty funny too, and with a love for details.

But the balancing has some issues, in my eyes.
All of the usual enemies can be stunned easily. If you stay in a good spot, even tougher ones are not a real thread. There is also no limit to your ammo. The stronger missiles have a little buff, but aside from that, nothing stops you from throwing the big shots at them.
The fights against the mini bosses are more on the easy side as well. You fight them in different variants, but not often enough, that it would feel too repetetive. I only wish, they would have health bars, like the big bosses. Enemies can take in a lot in general.
The main boss fights felt tough to me. They have many HPs, are quite fast, have more patterns and made me die a lot. (And you have to click through the dialogue again for every retry.)
Another point are your own HPs. You are well protected in your mech and find health upgrades for it. But outside of it, you're killed with one shot. There are parts, where you control a submarine, and it can take a lot less hits than the mech as well.
There is also no way to heal yourself. Enemies drop no loot. When your energy is low, your only chance is to reach the next checkpoint / savepoint to refill your health.
That makes it also a bit pointless to defeat enemies, if you are not forced to in other ways.
Checkpoints are mostly super fair and the occasions, where you have to repeat a longer way after a death, are rare.

The controls felt a bit floaty to me. Jumping never felt 100% precise to me. And sometimes you have to jump pretty precisely. The submarine has some sort of momentum too, what makes the boss fight in it even more difficult.
All three (mech, sub, cat) control a bit different as well. I had a bit of trouble to adjust.
But those changes between them make the game feel varied.

I found most of the extras on my own, but used a walkthrough for the remaining ones. And I'm glad, I did ā€“ with maximum health I could tank pretty well in the final fights. Especially the final one could have been a pain in the ass with less HP.
It would be nice, if you could see the map of all areas in the menu, regardless of where you are right now. It's inconvenient you have to travel back and forth with the elevator, just to have a quick look at the map, if there was still a room uncleared.

My biggest disappointment was the meow sound of the cat. It sounds so weird! Not really like a meow. And I was looking forward to the dedicated meow button so much. :(
And about the story:
Why is the cat framed to be responsible for the crash? :(
And I laughed in surprise that they escape alone and abandon her (dead?) owner. ^^

My ingame timer said 4:57h at the end. But I played pretty slow, ran back and forth a lot and needed some time in boss fights.
You can beat it in 3-4 hours with a better run. And that's totally okay, for what it does. Otherwise it would tend to overstay ist welcome.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Playing through this game right now, just passed the heating core section; I'm awful with all the rocket jumping technique but I'm getting a hang of it. Pretty damned cool game so far (playing on Xbox rn).

That X:00, Y:15 part is a bitch.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Playing through this game right now, just passed the heating core section; I'm awful with all the rocket jumping technique but I'm getting a hang of it. Pretty damned cool game so far (playing on Xbox rn).

That X:00, Y:15 part is a bitch.

Yeah I loved this game. Please give us M(eow)ore.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh... I'm watching people play the part I just went through on youtube now, everyone has a fucking double jump? FML.

Yeah I loved this game. Please give us M(eow)ore.

Yeah, it's cool as hell. Love the music, tight gameplay. Honestly kinda surprised I don't see this game recommended more, I just picked it on a whim because the art style looked cool.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Ugh... I'm watching people play the part I just went through on youtube now, everyone has a fucking double jump? FML.

Yeah, it's cool as hell. Love the music, tight gameplay. Honestly kinda surprised I don't see this game recommended more, I just picked it on a whim because the art style looked cool.

It's got so much character, great sense of humour, it looks lovely, and it's pretty short. Exactly what I needed when I played through it a couple months ago and I too found it pretty underrated on here.