• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...lG9FxSjGVysqkXnU8QgwE8tkJUvMtghPYf1iYxXU8QMZU

Chris Weitz, who inherited the screenplay from writer Gary Whitta, revealed during an interview for the CultPopture podcast that when he became involved with the feature, the fan-favorite ending that saw every protagonist sacrifice himself for the mission didn't exist yet.

"The version prior to [my involvement] didn't have everyone die. As a matter of fact, it ended with a wedding," Weitz said. "I think it was on the presumption that Disney wouldn't allow characters to die with such abandon." The reason Weitz felt the need to end on a more downbeat note was a practical one: "I felt it was necessary because nobody ever mentions them or sees them again but also because we've done this whole sort of theme about sacrifice that it was appropriate that all of our main characters die."

That's not to say that Weitz was responsible for the version of the movie that fans saw on screen in 2016, however. Between the end of director Gareth Edwards' shoot and the eventual release of the movie — which was taken over by Tony Gilroy during editing and substantially changed, according to multiple sources, including Gilroy himself — the movie underwent some drastic rebuilding, Weitz said.

There was also no Vader attack scene.

More at the link.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
we already knew there were like 3 different endings where most of the team survive

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I didn't like any part of the movie other than the battle so I don't think them living and being happy would change that. I'm happy to hear Vader didn't have his little hissy fit scene at the end, that was stupid as fuck.

Last edited:

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They made the right choice. I don't think the movie would have worked with a happy ending for the characters. I'd argue it still has a hopeful ending.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Made sense that Gary would write for that, being unsure about how Disney would handle going in

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd heard a long time ago that they were gonna survive in escape cryo pods to potentially come back in another movie. I like the Halo Reach route they took more. It was riskier and makes the movie stand out

Also that's hands down the best Vader moment in the series

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought it's ending was a joke because the deaths just felt like they had very little impact personally.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think they meant it ended with Red Wedding with Vader crashing the party. "The empire sends it's regards".

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still want to see the director's cut of this movie. Many interesting scenes of the teaser aren't in the final cut.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why he wouldn't think Disney would go for that kind of ending, but I really loved the entire sequence of the ending even if other parts of the movie were only mediocre. The end through the Vader scene was perfect.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I would have taken a super-happy ending, as nonsensical as it would be, over that completely BS Vader hallway slaughter that's completely out of place in the film (especially after the main characters' tragic deaths) and serves only to undercut the whole point of the movie. Besides, the current "everybody dies" ending lacks bite because the characters are so bland and forgettable that their deaths leave basically no impact.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it's ending was a joke because the deaths just felt like they had very little impact personally.
same. couldnt give two shits about any of the character.

but then again by the end of the movie i was mostly pissed at how we didnt see any of the cool shots from the trailer.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The ending and the darth vader attack scenes were the best part of the movie along with PG HK-47 so glad we got what we got

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Rogue One is a pretty forgettable movie but it is easily the best out of the new Star Wars stuff. The ending is the major reason for that.