• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I didn't see your updated post!
OP is implying that the conversation in AOF2 is the one of the SNES AOF1. The dialogue is different.

AOF2 is a young Geese. That SNES AOF one shows an older Geese.

It was meant to tie to AOF2, but that extra SNES stuff is not canon for the arcade, because that was Monolith/Takara.

SNK has never treated it as canon.

But yeah, it does exist in one version.

Anyway, this is just a footnote after all.

Last edited:

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, as someone who's never really been into fighting games this is pretty neat. The idea of Fatal Fury being more story driven than most fighters seems interesting, would it be a good idea to start with the original Fatal Fury to get more juice out of the plot, or is it more or less inconsequential? Would it make more sense to start with Garou: Mark of the Wolves or Fatal Fury 3 instead?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
MOTW is a great Fighter!

I still remember being so hyped for Fatal Fury on SNES as a kid looking at the EGM spread only to be let down compared to SF2.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, as someone who's never really been into fighting games this is pretty neat. The idea of Fatal Fury being more story driven than most fighters seems interesting, would it be a good idea to start with the original Fatal Fury to get more juice out of the plot, or is it more or less inconsequential? Would it make more sense to start with Garou: Mark of the Wolves or Fatal Fury 3 instead?
Fatal Fury does not have that much of a story tbh.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Mark of the wolves is on FIRE

kain-powaa.gif

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

You can skip all the old fatal fury games as the subsequent real bout series was essentially a remake of them.

Garou is the goat is a must plus regardless as it is essentially the future of the entire snk universe..

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, if we are talking about a fighting game with a meaningful story that honor goes to the KoF series. At the time nothing really came close to the standards of the Orochi saga.

Gonna have to go to bat for Mortal Kombat actually. SNK was king of Japanese fighting game story tellers, but Mortal Kombat was right there with them. The MK lore is just as interesting and complex as the KOF lore, and told in much the same way.

My dream would be a modern SNK game, with a story mode like the modern Mortal Kombat games.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Gonna have to go to bat for Mortal Kombat actually. SNK was king of Japanese fighting game story tellers, but Mortal Kombat was right there with them. The MK lore is just as interesting and complex as the KOF lore, and told in much the same way.

My dream would be a modern SNK game, with a story mode like the modern Mortal Kombat games.
Good to know, my only experience with Mk is Armageddon and while very grand, for a FG, I wouldn't really call it good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good to know, my only experience with Mk is Armageddon and while very grand, for a FG, I wouldn't really call it good.

Do yourself a favor and at the bare minimum watch this longplay of the MK9 story mode. It's NSFW (It's MK after all, so it's gorey) but it's a retelling of MK1-3 with some time travel twists.

Kyo and Iori, and Scorpion and Sub-Zero: The two best fighting game rivalries period. Back in the day I would play through as every single character in all the MK games as they'd come out just to digest the story. MK's story was written by a comic book writer, who also put out comic book adaptations of the story, so it was always much meatier and more fleshed out than other fighting games. Just like KOF, it's dripping with lore. The Mortal Kombat movie is basically a 1:1 retelling of the first Mortal Kombat game (they skip Scorpion and Sub-Zero's story for time reasons, unfortunately), it's one of the most accurate video game to movie adaptations period.

Radically different philosophies and goals, but very story heavy non-the-less.

As the MK games have gone forward, their stories keep getting better. Armageddon was followed by MK vs DC (which felt like a direct-to-home-video movie), then MK9 (which felt like a made for TV movie), then MKX (which felt like a decent movie that could maybe get released in theaters), then MK11 (which feels like an honest to god blockbuster in terms of presentation and story telling).

If you know the history of Kyo and Iori, and how they

Finally team up in KOF97

then you might appreciate that in MK11 (actual spoilers here):

Sub-Zero and Scorpion, mortal enemies in the series for over 25 years now, FINALLY team up to defeat their common enemy, which had pitted them against each other as pawns for decades. It was a moment that had been hinted at and implied would eventually happen for, no joke, like 10 games now. Seeing it FINALLY happen in MK11 was one of the highlights of the generation, it was so awesome.

MK9 begins directly after MK Armageddon, BTW, so despite how thin that games plot is, the opening should make sense to you. They very quickly, like within a few minutes, travel back to time and start retelling MK1.

Last edited:

Ailanthium

Oct 27, 2017
Fatal Fury does not have that much of a story tbh.

It doesn't exactly need to have that much of a story to be better than most fighters... but that's a fair point. I'm more interested in single player content because jumping straight into online matches for fighters pretty much always turns me off immediately.

Mortal Kombat is just plain grotesque, while Fatal Fury / King of Fighters seems to have a lot more style (or at least the kind of style I like). I just don't like playing a franchise from the latest entry, which is how I ended up playing the original Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II before games like FFVII or FFIX.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing this again when the rumours of an SNK rep in Smash started picking up and it's so fucking good. The sprites look fantastic, the stages are drop-dead gorgeous and the roster is incredibly well-rounded with some of the best characters in fighting games. It's not my number one fighting game but it takes the number 2 spot easily. Really wish more people would appreciate this gem.

HighkeyGhoul

Oct 28, 2017
Imma say something true. GAROU is only heralded because of nostalgia. It's definitely the weakest of the Fatal Fury/ Kof franchise.

Rock is amazing though.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imma say something true. GAROU is only heralded because of nostalgia. It's definitely the weakest of the Fatal Fury/ Kof franchise.

Rock is amazing though.

What nostalgia? Barely anyone talks about it from the perspective of having played it when it came out lol. And for the record, I played it for the first time in 2016 when it came out on PS4, so no nostalgia from when I say it's one of the best FGs ever made.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
MOTW still holds up great today and has a really solid cast of characters. My memory is hazy, but I'm pretty sure I played it in the arcades, but if not I had the Dreamcast version at home.

The earliest FF games I was not really a fan of. It really wasn't until Real Bout that I started to enjoy them and I played them all in the arcade from the very first one - they felt clunky and unresponsive was the main criticism. The earlier SNK fighters like FF and AOF is what we would play when we walked in to the arcade and the crowd around SF was too big and there was no chance of getting on them any time soon. They were usually cheaper too. I quite enjoyed AOF1&2 even though I thought they were pretty difficult, and It wasn't really until KOF'94 that I thought SNK could go toe-to-toe with Capcom in terms of gameplay, even though I enjoyed the characters and worlds they created before then.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
Nice thread, and it's cheap on nintendo eshop, story wise should i play some KoF before playing Garou? Or should i just buy what are considered the best ones ( Kof 98 and Garou)

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The moment Terry got officially announced the first thought I had was whether he'd get his badass garou outfit as a secondary costume color

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Garou is such a great game. And to this day it still plays and looks awesome.

Look at this incredible animation on their clothing, particularly the creases.

oKbczVZ.gif
c45yzY6.gif

z8Xq4fe.gif
OulG0py.gif
XhGjEtu.gif

Not even 3rd Strike is on this level. I long for the day we see something like this in a 3D fighting game, instead of the usual concrete pants/shirts we get in every game.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
You can skip all the old fatal fury games as the subsequent real bout series was essentially a remake of them.

Garou is the goat is a must plus regardless as it is essentially the future of the entire snk universe..
So basically if I want to get the most out of Garou I can play in the following order: Real Bout FF -> Real Bout FF Special -> Real Bout 2 -> Garou. Am I getting that right?

Also, do the ACA NEO GEO ports on Switch contain the Neo Geo CD soundtracks for some games or are those the straight arcade versions? I know that Real Bout was on NGCD.

Oct 26, 2017
Garou has a lot of weird hidden mechanics to it (Break moves, Feint canceling) that this video does a good job of explaining:

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
It always impressed me how beautiful this game is. It was on-par with Capcom's best looking games at the time and it was done in a 10 years old hardware.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
Fatal Fury had the superior anime adaptations too, I still watch the movie from time to time.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
*looks at his copy for Dreamcast

I've never dived deep into the story of FF/AoF/KoF, but I've always loved playing the games whenever I had the chance.

Thanks for the writeup, OP.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent write-up. I feel pretty much identically.

So what was Real Bout anyway? Wasn't the first essentially Fatal Fury 4 and finished the storyline until Garou, with Special as a dream match and RB2 as non-canon?

I always liked the first RB because of the ring-outs.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017

oKbczVZ.gif
c45yzY6.gif

z8Xq4fe.gif
OulG0py.gif
XhGjEtu.gif

Not even 3rd Strike is on this level. I long for the day we see something like this in a 3D fighting game, instead of the usual concrete pants/shirts we get in every game.

These are great animations and the crease detail is nice but I'd say SF3 animation is absolutely its equal although they're going for different things, such as the fewer folds on neutral stances to keep clothing looking soft to contrast against the hard, muscular form of the body. You can see how the soft edges of the knees disappear when attacking as harsher/sharper lines are then introduced to enhance the line of action. The follow-through/overlap on clothes is a masterclass.

demo3-gif.gif

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
The fact that this game runs on Neo geo hardware is a miracle.

This was the one that SNK against SF3 which ran on the new and shiny CPS3.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are great animations and the crease detail is nice but I'd say SF3 animation is absolutely its equal although they're going for different things, such as the fewer folds on neutral stances to keep clothing looking soft to contrast against the hard, muscular form of the body. You can see how the soft edges of the knees disappear when attacking as harsher/sharper lines are then introduced to enhance the line of action. The follow-through/overlap on clothes is a masterclass.

demo3-gif.gif

The cps3 is made specifically to display lots of frames of animation and has over 32 MB of system ram and 8 MB of vram. The neo geo has 64 kb of vram, 125 times less video memory. One of these games is waaaay more impressive for the hardware.

HighkeyGhoul

Oct 28, 2017
What nostalgia? Barely anyone talks about it from the perspective of having played it when it came out lol. And for the record, I played it for the first time in 2016 when it came out on PS4, so no nostalgia from when I say it's one of the best FGs ever made.

Coming from deep roots in the FGC I've seen many people Stan this game, specifically. It's not terrible as a fighter but it definitely ain't good or masterclass when it comes to fatal fury.

Of course you don't know if you've first played the game in '16.

To be fair, I like MOTW, it just ain't one of the best, objectively speaking.

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018

oKbczVZ.gif
c45yzY6.gif

z8Xq4fe.gif
OulG0py.gif
XhGjEtu.gif

Those knees popping in and out are making me drool.

Is the PSVita release of Garou good? I want to give it a try.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I feel like Garou goes unappreciated by many, or is it just me?

Either way, thanks for making this thread. Garou is a fantastic fighting game with amazing animation (especially for Rock Howard, as you mentioned).
Anything SNK is mostly underapreaciated or straight up ignored in america. The exception is metal slug, but this forum in particular is very anglocentric,so you'll almost never see anything about garou.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
The cps3 is made specifically to display lots of frames of animation and has over 32 MB of system ram and 8 MB of vram. The neo geo has 64 kb of vram, 125 times less video memory. One of these games is waaaay more impressive for the hardware.
Oh no doubt, very impressive for the hardware. But we're talking about the artistic quality of the animation, particularly how creases are described.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

demo3-gif.gif
Obviously 3rd Strike is a beautiful game, lord knows, but I've always been even more impressed by how clothing is animated in Garou.

In general I feel like the animation prowess of SNK goes underappreciated.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Coming from deep roots in the FGC I've seen many people Stan this game, specifically. It's not terrible as a fighter but it definitely ain't good or masterclass when it comes to fatal fury.

Of course you don't know if you've first played the game in '16.

To be fair, I like MOTW, it just ain't one of the best, objectively speaking.
0P4fl95.png

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Garou is my favorite SNK game ever, and probably my 2nd or 3rd fav 2d fighter (A2, Vsav, Garou).

I really, really hope we're getting a garou 2 after KoF15.

This is me at your reply.
Had you asked for clarification I would have delivered. Don't quote me. :)

It's cool to have an opinion, you just can't, you know, put objectively at the end of your subjective opinion.

And yeah, I played Garou in arcades. And still play it to this day.