• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

data west

Oct 25, 2017
822931f9c4b7dd710abca53166466ba9.jpg

62c5205f2b879cb319a8090c7a1a5591.jpg

Gargoyles-Puck.jpg

A lot of animated series from this era of 90s television are held in high regard, but a ton of them are really lacking in great villains. Some have 1 or 2. Very few have several(Batman:TAS), but Gargoyles is just loaded with good characters and great villains that make constant reapparances. Some turn good, some turn bad, some turn even more bad, some turn good then bad then good again and it rarely ever feels out of character. Very few of them feel 2 dimensional and even the more 2 dimensional villains get opportunities to grow their character by becoming even more evil.

Even very minor characters like Sevarius stick with you and bring back memories as soon as you see a picture of them.[/quote]

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Absolutely. Well written, well acted villains that you love to see.

Glad I own the first two seasons on DVD (and the graphic novels for the SLG Gargoyles Comics by Greg Weisman).

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Hell, when your series is able to make the main character's evil twin/clone into one of the best villains ever (no small part due to how Keith David is able to go HAM), you have a great rogues gallery.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Gargoyles took a lot of characters from elsewhere,
Existing myths and Shakespeare in particular. I thought it was great right up to the Avalon stuff, then the going around the world and splitting up the clan made it less interesting.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I love the show and also love that it is a Star Trek TNG reunion of sorts.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
One of the coolest little things were the small relationships between the heroes and villains.

Brooklyn and Lexington held on to grudges against Demona and Fox/The Pack that would flare up whenever they met.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The way The Pack evolved over the course of the series was pretty wild - going from regular goons with an animal gimmick to cyborgs, then slowly splitting up and ending up as recurring characters in their own right, like Fox turning into Xanatos's love interest.

I can't think of many original "superhero" properties, outside of comics, that had such a great variety of bad guys that developed and recurred over the series. Honestly, better than a lot of superhero rogue's galleries IN comics.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Fun fact: the show was originally disney's attempt at creating a shared universe, hence all the spinoff freindly concepts demoed in season 2. They considered buying marvel, but 1 billion dollars was too expensive for them. Then power rangers really took off and the abandoned the show after 2 seasons.

The showrunner would end up creating Spectular spider-man....which was cancelled after 2 seasons when Disney bought marvel for real.
Then he made young justice....which was canceled after 2 seasons because cartoon network thought the show was too popular with girls

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Just Xanatos alone would've made it special, then they went and surrounded them with an amazing variety of other villains. I mean all of Demona's story is amazing.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
I really liked Macbeth as a character and how they put a bit of Highlander into him too by making him immortal. And he isn't really a villain either after you learn about his motivations.
Maybe they went a little overboard with the mystical creatures during the Avalon arch. They even have an episode about the "Loch Ness Monster".

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Wokd love for this show to come back through streaming.

The German Dub is also so good! Only realized recently that there is no voice over during the intro in the english version. I still get goosebumps thinking about the German version.

Amazing show, amazing line of characters and villains!

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I really liked Macbeth as a character and how they put a bit of Highlander into him too by making him immortal. And he isn't really a villain either after you learn about his motivations.
Maybe they went a little overboard with the mystical creatures during the Avalon arch. They even have an episode about the "Loch Ness Monster".

Yeah, Avalon travel arc was a bit of a drag but was worth it for the Griff saga. Also the one plus to the terrible Loch Ness Monster episode was more Tim Curry screen time.

Xanatos is my favorite love to hate villain. The shit eating grinning his face at the end of the salf made man story still sticks with me today.

Macbeth and Demona as a whole are just an amazing story.

The ever evolving Pack team is great as well though Dingo's nanobot Ai spirit journey thing is a trip.

Thailog, on the other hand, is hilarious. I can never tell if I love the ridiculous idea of the character or hate it. Best part of it though is you can audibly hear how much fun David Keith has voicing the character.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really only remember Bruce Wayne and Mystique.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
This show was the first thing i've watched when i got Disney+. It wasn't Mandalorian, it was Gargolyes. I'd dig if they were to give it another chance. But they need the OG showrunners for that. That "3rd" season thing they made without them really shows how much of the shows charm relied on them.

Oct 8, 2019
This show was the first thing i've watched when i got Disney+. It wasn't Mandalorian, it was Gargolyes. I'd dig if they were to give it another chance. But they need the OG showrunners for that. That "3rd" season thing they made without them really shows how much of the shows charm relied on them.
Gargoyles never had an official showrunner, and the development went through massive changes starting out as "Gummi Bears in Modern time".

The two most prominent people involved are Greg Weisman who was the producer and created the initial pitch whose currently busy on Young Justice, and Michael Reaves who has Parkinson and has a hard time typing, and cant speak coherently anymore.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This was the first thing I wanted to watch on Disney+... Sucks that neither this or any of the 90's Marvel cartoons are available on it here in Sweden.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Wokd love for this show to come back through streaming.

The German Dub is also so good! Only realized recently that there is no voice over during the intro in the english version. I still get goosebumps thinking about the German version.

Amazing show, amazing line of characters and villains!

No voiceover was just season 1.
Here's season 2:

I actually like it better without the voiceover because the instrumental is so good and I think it conveys the story well enough without explaining it. But if I have to have it, at least Keith David's voice is wonderful to listen to, haha!

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Out of all the 90s Disney cartoons, Gargoyles deserves a reboot the most.

With an openly gay Lexington, pretty please!

The one thing I applaud Weisman is that he shares the desire of many Gargoyles fans: no reboots, proper continuance.

There's still so much potential to work with where the original series left off (plus the comic). And at least most of that is now readily available on one of the most popular streaming platforms.

Plus the comic was basically just a few issues shy from having Lexington and Stagheart being a thing, and I was definitely here for it.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Explain? Where was this?
To explain what the other poster was hinting at, it's not actually true that he voiced Goliath.
He voiced Manny, the headless man-horse in the new Ducktales.
Manny, being headless, doesn't speak until the last episode when it's revealed that he'd actually some sort apocalyptic horror at which point he grows back his head and grows bat wings and roars out in Keith David's voice "I LIVE AGAIN!" all while the Gargoyles opening theme plays in the background.
It isn't actually Goliath, but it's a VERY clear nod to the show. Which was the one Disney Afternoon property they had yet to reference (and as badly as I wanted them to, I would've accepted them not referencing Gargoyles since it's set in such a different world from the other shows, so I'm pretty okay with it).
So yeah, it's just a reference, albeit a very fun one.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Here are some good spotlight videos for Xanatos, Demona, Macbeth and Thailog

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I need to watch this show

You absolutely should. Gargoyles is peak 90's cartoons.

Found the scene on yt. A Gargoyles reference in Ducktales. Putting it in tags in case you're planning to watch or watching that show:

Everyone: "Holy shit a Gargoyles reference!"
Me: "Wow that regeneration animation tho... also holy shit a Gargoyles reference!"

Keith Motherfucking David.

Man, I want him in everything.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Found the scene on yt. A Gargoyles reference in Ducktales. Putting it in tags in case you're planning to watch or watching that show:

Everyone: "Holy shit a Gargoyles reference!"
Me: "Wow that regeneration animation tho... also holy shit a Gargoyles reference!"

That made me smile a lot.

Wife and I use the gargoyles opening Keith David dialogue a lot in our daily lives. She'll be looking in the fridge and I'll hear her say "I haven't eaten in a thousand years... But here in this kitchen, the spell is broken! AND I EAT AGAIN!" and then we both bust out in the theme song.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That made me smile a lot.

Wife and I use the gargoyles opening Keith David dialogue a lot in our daily lives. She'll be looking in the fridge and I'll hear her say "I haven't eaten in a thousand years... But here in this kitchen, the spell is broken! AND I EAT AGAIN!" and then we both bust out in the theme song.
Come clean, how many times per month does your family rewatch Gargoyles?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Oh shit! Thanks for reminding me that I can watch this series again now that I have D+! I liked the show but haven't seen it since back in middle school lol

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Come clean, how many times per month does your family rewatch Gargoyles?

Honestly we just marathoned it when D+ came out. Watching it growing up I loosely remembered the plot and characters as I had only ever seen it in disjointed chunks. It was my wife's first time and she fell in love with it. We got to the point where we were watching a couple of episodes per night until we got through the two important seasons. It was way better than I even remember as a kid. We haven't watched again since the marathon but a lot of the show has become a part of our daily vernacular.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I want a Gargoyles reboot show, I don't think it's the right time and it would fail and just leave a bad taste on people's mouth. I'd welcome a movie, live action but perhaps not so much if it's CG and looks like Big Hero 6.