• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
i

Like many stories, this one begins with tragedy.

In January 2018, Washington State's starting QB, Tyler Hilinski, tragically died of suicide. His death brought on a pall of sadness to the university town of Pullman, and the Washington State Cougars were left without a leader for the coming season.

Washington State is the most remote of the universities in the so-called "power conferences". Its location allows oddballs to thrive. Wazzu's coach, Mike Leach, is as oddball as it gets. Leach is a brilliant offensive mind, exiled to Pullman after being slandered by ESPN, which is another story in and of itself. He's one of the architects of the "Air Raid" offense, which is now sweeping across all levels of football in the form of quarterbacks like Patrick Mahomes. He's also known for his love of pirates and grizzly bears.

So yeah, Leach is a weird dude. He also posted a doctored video of Obama but we don't talk about that.

Anyway, Leach needed a quarterback for his high-powered offense. He found another oddball, and together, they made magic while helping to heal Pullman.

Gardner Minshew's path to starting QB for the Jacksonville Jaguars is a long one. Gardner grew up in rural Mississippi. It's worth noting that he actually isn't the second Gardner in his family- his dad's name is Flint, which is Gardner's middle name, so it's unclear where the II came from. He was actually almost named Beowulf by his grandfather. Gardner grew up as a big fan of Leach's offense, and used the tenets picked up from Leach's book and watching film of Leach's Texas Tech offenses to make the all-state team in Mississippi his sophomore through senior years of high school. Unfortunately, these accolades were not enough for Gardner to receive a scholarship offer to a bigger program, so he bounced around the lower levels of college football. He eventually ended up at East Carolina, where he finished his undergraduate career unheralded. College players can continue their playing careers during grad school, and that was Gardner's original plan. He accepted an offer from Alabama to be a backup there and kickstart his coaching career under Nick Saban.

Then, Gardner's football hero Mike Leach came calling.

"Do you want to be a backup at Alabama or lead the nation in passing?"

It was an offer Gardner couldn't refuse.

In college football, there's something known as "Pac-12 After Dark". Basically, ESPN needs late-night programming on Saturdays, which leads to them sticking West Coast teams on at 10 PM EST. These games have a reputation of being batshit insane and well worth the loss of sleep the next day. As a college football degenerate, I love Pac-12 After Dark. Gardner Minshew became the Pac-12 After Dark hero, as well as my personal favorite player in all of college football.

DsunJBhUwAEnsMA.jpg%3Alarge

NQQmPZP.png

EEHp0HDU0AEBqlC.jpg

DvHMwdBVYAI2L6a.jpg

Gardner did indeed end up leading the nation in passing, and led Wazzu to a school-record 11 wins. He finished fifth in Heisman voting and his mustache launched a million college football internet memes. It was a fun ride, and only having one year of Minshew with Leach was a real shame. I didn't think much of his pro prospects, so I was pleasantly surprised when I saw he was picked in the sixth round by the Jacksonville Jaguars. It seemed to be a flier though since the Jags signed Nick Foles to a big free agency contract. Perhaps the legend of the mustache would live again in NFL garbage time.

Until Nick Foles got hurt in the first quarter of the Jags opener.

Then Gardner Minshew was truly unleashed.

With Nick Foles out for an indefinite amount of time, the legend of the mustache will only continue to grow.

TL;DR- Post Minshew memes because he is the folk hero we need in these trying times.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
im just sad that big dick nick went down

but it looks like his large mantle has been passed to this guy, who could have been named "beowulf"

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
College players can continue their playing careers during grad school...huh...I had no idea. Fun story, always a thrill to see the back-up/benchwarmer blow up and make the most of his unexpected minutes (Lin, etc.)

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
College players can continue their playing careers during grad school...huh...I had no idea. Fun story, always a thrill to see the back-up/benchwarmer blow up and make the most of his unexpected minutes (Lin, etc.)
Exceptions aside, players can basically be on a team for five years, and can actively play for up to four of those years.

Grad school is a unique element because normally a player can't immediately play at another school if they transfer, they either have to sit out a year or apply for a waiver. But a player that graduates can transfer and immediately play at another school.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
He's been a ton of fun this season and I hope he keeps churning out great stat lines to ensure he sticks around the league a long time.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017

Adult entertainment site Cam Soda has offered Gardner Minshew an endorsement deal to lead weekly online fitness classes. "Our only requirement is that you incorporate band workouts into your class and do them in a jock strap and/or naked."

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
Diehard Utes fan and alumni, but Minshew was definitely one of my favorite players/personalities to watch in college football last year.

Hope the mustache thrives in the NFL.

I guess Jalen Ramsey isn't his fan :/

The only thing right in this world would be for Jalen Ramsey to end up on the Steelers after all of that trash talk a few years ago, especially with their current state.

Actually, I'd be fine if my 49ers traded for him also. Go Niners!

Last edited:

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
GMII just won his first home start, the new era of Jaguars dominance has begun.

Brady better be looking over his shoulder.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Hell yeah he is. I'm not a Jags fan myself, but I am ready to watch that Cadillac of a man carry them to 14-2.

Go Minshew.

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
All in on the Minshew Mustasche Manwagon. Feel good stories are few and far between in today's NFL. Wish him success.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
All you need to know about Gardner Minshew II is there is no Gardner Minshew I. Just let that sink in.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I think if I was a team that needed a QB I'd just trade a first rounder for a shitload of 6th rounders and just take a QB with each one of them.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
just learned about him tonight. I kind of remember glimpsing a little bit of him in college but just realized who he was on MNF. the kid is a stud, he's going to be a star.

Good arm, talented and has the attitude to be a winner.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
My wife taught him in high school. He sounded normal from what she told me about him. Crazy to see he's become the meme quarterback of the NFL.

Nov 16, 2017

Adult entertainment site Cam Soda has offered Gardner Minshew an endorsement deal to lead weekly online fitness classes. "Our only requirement is that you incorporate band workouts into your class and do them in a jock strap and/or naked."

Talk about burying the lede. They also want him to be the brand ambassador for their penis puppet line. That is way more interesting than jock strap fitness classes.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
Gardner did indeed end up leading the nation in passing, and led Wazzu to a school-record 11 wins.
A little clarity here: He led the FBS in pass completions (468) and pass attempts (662), was second in passing yards (4,779), and finished fourth with 38 touchdowns.

The real kick in the nuts? Dwayne Haskins of Ohio State beat him out for the FBS lead in passing yards by a mere 52 yards.