• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Did not know we had a gardening ot.

Introductions! I'm a relatively new homeowner - going on 1 year now.

I'm in New Mexico, at high elevation. Aproximately 6,500 feet. I've been told that my climate zone is zomething like 6a.

I'm trying to fill my expansive yard. It was mostly land fill from the new home build, and was fixed up and fenced in last year. Plenty of pines and junipers, and now some natural low growth is starting to show itself again.

My question for all ya'll - would anyone recommend me anything to plant in my garden? Bushes, ground cover, some nice privacy trees? Whatever! It'll be in the ground, mind you. Some rocky spots, but mostly dirt. Lots of room to expand and plant.

For example, I'm being recommended some willows from my local place for some aforementioned privacy. Austrees in particular - Their excessive growth and leafiness is attractive, but they're deciduous, so if there's a quality evergreen alternative, i'd love to hear it.

Cherubae

Oct 31, 2017
Beaverton, Oregon, USA
You might look into native plants that will work in your area. Ideally, those types of plants will require less water than other varieties. Our local audubon society has a backyard certification program to encourage homeowners to use native plants for the birds. You might have something similar in your area.

the Arbor Day Foundation will send 10 trees for your area if you give a donation (arborday.org)

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
need recommendations on flowers/interesting plants (perennials) that need very little direct sunlight. Not Hostas. Need to plant some under/around a lilac bush.

Chicago area.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
need recommendations on flowers/interesting plants (perennials) that need very little direct sunlight. Not Hostas. Need to plant some under/around a lilac bush.

Chicago area.
Impatiens can probably survive that, but I think they're annual in the Lake region.

You could try bleeding heart if you have a slightly bigger space.

In a pinch you can do lily of the valley, but they flower early and then look like crap, plus they spread badly.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Impatiens can probably survive that, but I think they're annual in the Lake region.

You could try bleeding heart if you have a slightly bigger space.

In a pinch you can do lily of the valley, but they flower early and then look like crap, plus they spread badly.

good call on the spreading. don't want that. Actually have some of those under a pine tree. I like bleeding hearts. I'll check out those and impatiens - I think my wife has talked about the latter. Thanks!

Did not know we had a gardening ot.

Introductions! I'm a relatively new homeowner - going on 1 year now.

I'm in New Mexico, at high elevation. Aproximately 6,500 feet. I've been told that my climate zone is zomething like 6a.

I'm trying to fill my expansive yard. It was mostly land fill from the new home build, and was fixed up and fenced in last year. Plenty of pines and junipers, and now some natural low growth is starting to show itself again.

My question for all ya'll - would anyone recommend me anything to plant in my garden? Bushes, ground cover, some nice privacy trees? Whatever! It'll be in the ground, mind you. Some rocky spots, but mostly dirt. Lots of room to expand and plant.

For example, I'm being recommended some willows from my local place for some aforementioned privacy. Austrees in particular - Their excessive growth and leafiness is attractive, but they're deciduous, so if there's a quality evergreen alternative, i'd love to hear it.

Seems like you're already headed that direction, but I second the native plant suggestion.
I tend to stay away from hybrid trees like the Austree - just because they tend to come with drawbacks and may not be as beneficial to the ecosystem as actual native trees.

I think almost everything besides Junipers, Pines, and Cypress will be deciduous in New Mexico? I could be wrong on that, but it's going to get too cold for anything else to keep its leaves. Looks like a Shrub Live Oak may not go completely deciduous?

Looking at the bottom hyperlink below, for trees, I'd be partial to:
Junipers
Ponderosa Pines
New Mexico Locust - looks absolutely beautiful! But...beware of spikes.
Gambel Oaks or Rocky Mountain Oaks are always a good bet
New Mexico Olive - maybe for a hedge or short screen.

For shrubs, I'm partial to agastache (aka hyssop) and sage - you can also use it for tea, which is great.
There are also a few evergreen options there, as well.

For flowers, there are far too many options to name.

https://www.gardenia.net/native-plants/new-mexico
https://www.npsnm.org
https://www.npsnm.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/NPGuide_SantaFe_Gardening_Landscape.pdf

Why try to use native plants?
1. Water usage will be much less than many non-natives - helping both your wallet AND the environment
2. Drought tolerant to your climate
3. Perfectly acclimatized to your location
4. Completely beneficial to your environment, including butterflies and birds

The strangest thing is that it's probably more unique to plant natives than it is to plant non-natives. So, your yard will end up looking pretty awesome.

If you're in the Santa Fe or ABQ area (and I assume you are?), then I'd definitely hit up this place:
https://plantsofthesouthwest.com

Here's some pictures of what I mean with the backyard.

ZiE5uEH.jpg

abXggjY.jpg

Yeah, that looks pretty compacted.
What color is the soil if you dig down a few inches - is it still dark, like the top part I see in the photos?
Or is it more orange/tan?

I would say to dig down with a shovel as far as the dirt will allow you and add soil amendments before planting your next batch - again, go to your local reputable nursery and ask for some soil to amend your top soil. Mix that in with your current soil and I think you'll be off to a strong start.

Looking at your other picture, I would just guess that you may want to spread your plants apart just a little more - but then again, I don't have an accurate judgement on how spaced they currently are (and it depends on the crop, too, of course).

Last edited:

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We filled three 8x4 raised beds up with hundreds of lbs of top soil. It has been a horrible project, loading up wheelbarrows and taking the soil up a makeshift ramp in the backyard. But it's almost over and I think the final products will be great!

My calves are huge now, so that's a bonus.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Quick question:
Moved into my new home late last year and today I was clearing out a couple dead plants from the garden bed.

I noticed there were at least 2 square pavers buried beneath the soil. I hit them as I was trying to uproot an old shrub.

There's no reason these should be in here right?
I want to plant a vine just where one of the blocks is located.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question:
Moved into my new home late last year and today I was clearing out a couple dead plants from the garden bed.

I noticed there were at least 2 square pavers buried beneath the soil. I hit them as I was trying to uproot an old shrub.

If it's in the middle of your property they're probably just an old patio that wasn't dug up.

Unless it turns out to be a buried well or retaining wall or something like that, but let's assume it won't be.

Where I live, pavers are used along the property line. I think they're not so much a line marker as those are technically buried, but meant to be below a fence to keep less weeds in difficult place. Not sure if this was just customary 70 years ago or what, but I've seen it on a bunch of properties.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Quick question:

My first thought is macabre, but if there are only a few pavers in an unusual location, I would assume a pet was buried there. It's very common for families to bury a dog/cat in the garden and put pavers/bricks on top to dissuade other animals from messing with it.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
If it's in the middle of your property they're probably just an old patio that wasn't dug up.

Unless it turns out to be a buried well or retaining wall or something like that, but let's assume it won't be.

Where I live, pavers are used along the property line. I think they're not so much a line marker as those are technically buried, but meant to be below a fence to keep less weeds in difficult place. Not sure if this was just customary 70 years ago or what, but I've seen it on a bunch of properties.

My first thought is macabre, but if there are only a few pavers in an unusual location, I would assume a pet was buried there. It's very common for families to bury a dog/cat in the garden and put pavers/bricks on top to dissuade other animals from messing with it.

Ha, appreciate both views.
They seem to alternate skipping a space so maybe old stepping blocks that sunk and were covered over the years.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
It's snowing. It is mid-April and it is snowing in lowland western Washington. I have plants that are supposed to arrive in the mail sometime in the next week. They're supposed to be cold-hardy, but they're also still tiny.

At least I haven't tried to put out my tomatoes yet.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Anyone have good plans for a vegetable garden fence build? wood, preferably. And ground level, not raised. Need to keep the rabbits out.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Finally put my tomatoes in the ground today, even if we're still supposed to have some nights in the upper 30s/low 40s. I put some glass and plastic containers over most of them, so that should help them survive. The glass containers were apparently enough to help a couple of my melons/pumpkins (I'm not sure which since they got mixed up while I was planting them and didn't expect them to survive anyways) survive some even colder nights, so my tomatoes should be fine. Even if they're not, I still have the reserve half of the tray I prepared just in case things went south like last year.

I really need to get a better grow light. I like its structure (four long tubes that can shine blue, red, or purple on movable necks that I can freely position), but even using two lights per starter tray it just isn't strong enough. Things come out leggy even if I have the lights practically up against the plants.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot_20220426-122610.png

Sorry for the giant image. Tomatoes are starting to come in. I did notice those tiny white spots on some of the leaves. I dunno if those are aphid leavings, mildew, or some natural thing. Any ideas? Gonna grab some neem oil after work and spray them all down regardless.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I decided to play the plant gacha today. I bought a couple fruit trees that were grown from seed, so there's no telling what characteristics they'll have. Why did I do this? Because it was the only way my local greenhouse was selling paw-paws. If only I hadn't let their random nature stop me from getting them back when I first saw them being sold years ago, I'd probably have eaten paw-paw by now.

There was also an extra aspect of plant gacha in it, because one of them has another plant growing in its pot. I think it's a strawberry based on the leaves and how it's trying to spread, but I can't be sure unless it actually fruits.

Nov 23, 2017
Anyone have good plans for a vegetable garden fence build? wood, preferably. And ground level, not raised. Need to keep the rabbits out.
The fastest way would probably be those bricks they sell at Home Depot. They have little notches cut out for 2x6. But I'd go with a cedar plank or another hard wood that won't rot away like pine does after one season.
www.homedepot.com

Oldcastle 7.5 in. x 7.5 in. x 5.5 in. Tan Brown Concrete Planter Wall Block 16202336 - The Home Depot

Reinvent your garden with the Oldcastle Planter Wall Block. This functional wall block allows you to easily create a raised garden bed, border or even outdoor furniture. Simply stack and link the blocks

I want to say a youtuber started the Vego Garden beds. Those are really high quality expensive beds if you plan on using them year after year.
vegogarden.com

Vego™ Garden Beds

Modular raised garden beds for every gardener. Easy to assemble kits made with food-safe high quality metal, designed to last 20+ years, and safe for kids & pets.

But I don't know how high you need to go to keep rabbits out. Might be worth it to arch over some chicken wire if you have wandering animals.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
thanks for the ideas. I was more thanking of boards screwed into rectangles with wire mesh stapled. Something I can move if need be.

Last edited:

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Mothersday always has a big plant market locally, so we bought loads yesterday.

wY5OqQO.png

And I also rabbit proofed my vegetable bed. 🐇🚫🥕
UkhnOvB.png

Nov 23, 2017
thanks for the ideas. I was more thanking of boards screwed into rectangles with wire mesh stapled. Something I can movie if need be.
Those bricks would probably work pretty good then. It makes things more mobile as nothing is screwed together or staked into the ground. They've been selling them for years, so you could expand or recreate your bed every year. Or just add another layer of bricks to the top and let the old stuff decompose underneath until you have a nice rich soil.
Not sure where you live, but it'd probably be worth it to find a wood sawyer to get the lumber from as you don't need building grade lumber from a hardware store. Might be cheaper.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
thanks!

edit: My wife likes the brick idea. We might do that if wood isn't too crazy expensive.

Last edited:

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
Hi Era!

I am so excited. We bought our first house (own a condo) and we will be moving in here in a couple of weeks. Was searching for the gardening OT (knew there had to be one). Anyways my wife will be doing most of the interior repairs on the house but I have staked my claim on the deck, the fencing and primarily the garden. Im already planning out my raised planter beds. Ill be sharing my updates here (looks like this thread isnt too active though).

Anywaysssss hi gardening era im super pumped

Nov 23, 2017
thanks!

edit: My wife likes the brick idea. We might do that if wood isn't too crazy expensive.
I recently had to buy some to make a bed in the back yard. I managed to find a couple of boards out of the cull lumber that i could cut down. My local HD changed the cull lumber from like $1-$4 each piece to just 70% off. But I still didn't spend much. I got a 12ft 2x4 and an 8ft 2x12. The 12ft'er was warped, but cut down to 24" pieces, it nearly disappeared. Plenty long to make four cuts to double them up on the sides. The 8ft'er was split down the grain, but still way tall enough. I just put the split side to the ground to keep the straight edge on top.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I recently had to buy some to make a bed in the back yard. I managed to find a couple of boards out of the cull lumber that i could cut down. My local HD changed the cull lumber from like $1-$4 each piece to just 70% off. But I still didn't spend much. I got a 12ft 2x4 and an 8ft 2x12. The 12ft'er was warped, but cut down to 24" pieces, it nearly disappeared. Plenty long to make four cuts to double them up on the sides. The 8ft'er was split down the grain, but still way tall enough. I just put the split side to the ground to keep the straight edge on top.

Sounds good to me. We ended up cheaping out and doing metal stakes and chicken wire :)

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone use a good app/website/program for planning? With emphasis being all grids, I'd imagine there's gotta be something good out there.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anyone use a good app/website/program for planning? With emphasis being all grids, I'd imagine there's gotta be something good out there.
I did this with powerpoint the first year and the second year I just said fuck it. And it worked out fine. :p

There are a few combinations of plants you want to avoid. e.g. tomatoes next to potatoes, but mostly it's like whatever...
google companion plants to get an idea.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Started to turn my once dirty and messy balcony into a green paradise this year.
Planted some tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, pumpkins and Zucchini.
Also started to grow my own medicine for the first time. Bought some autoflowering seeds and planted them back in may. Looks like they are fine so far :D
I can't go back to a live without gardening now.
It's immensity satisfying and rewarding, low cost, relatively low maintenance and you learn so many things.

I want to see some garden pics of the mid-summer glory!
Thought we'd see some more in here.

Then again, I'm kinda hypocritical myself here...

Here's a question with zucchini - the veins on my leaves are turning like white on the top surface of the leaf.
Any ideas of what's going on?

My tomatoes are absolutely abysmal this year. Got infested by spider mites - I had no clue how to get rid of them until my neighbor let me know that you can just spray them off.

I thought spraying with water would give it more disease...

Hi Era!

I am so excited. We bought our first house (own a condo) and we will be moving in here in a couple of weeks. Was searching for the gardening OT (knew there had to be one). Anyways my wife will be doing most of the interior repairs on the house but I have staked my claim on the deck, the fencing and primarily the garden. Im already planning out my raised planter beds. Ill be sharing my updates here (looks like this thread isnt too active though).

Anywaysssss hi gardening era im super pumped

Any updates?

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

My tomatoes are absolutely abysmal this year. Got infested by spider mites - I had no clue how to get rid of them until my neighbor let me know that you can just spray them off.

Mixing a little bit of alcohol and water to spray on your plants works good, too. Like 10% to 20% alcohol and the rest water.
Also works with soap + water, as far as I remember.
Had spider mites coming with my soil which I used for my first cannabis grow. The alcohol/water spray removed all of them after 2 or 3 days and they haven't returned so far.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017

Then again, I'm kinda hypocritical myself here...

Here's a question with zucchini - the veins on my leaves are turning like white on the top surface of the leaf.
Any ideas of what's going on?

Any updates?

Let's see…I only have the 1 planter and I kept it simple with just squash and some carrots to get started. I did plant a bunch of English lavender across the front lawn and that's settled in nicely. I honestly think caring for flowers might be more fun than veggies. This season was all about getting settled in and used to actually gardening but I might end up being more of a flowe person than a food person.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
We decided to add a second raised bed. Probably not much to plant this year, but it'll be ready for next spring. 😎
QlHK7jx.png

D0mVnz7.png

It's spring time, so I'm bringing this thread back.

Anyone have plant plans for this spring?

I'm trying to grow stevia and also have several new pepper and tomato types that have started up.
First time trying out eggplant as well.

Also, trying my hand at starting a few tropical fruits, namely papaya and passion fruit, from seed.

OP
OP
Anustart

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I have a new garden bed coming! Just ordered from Amazon.

I bought a new house and have grand plans for a huge garden in the back, but that's going to take time :(

I'm out of Tabascos from like 3 years back so it's time to grow more!

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Besides my normal tomatoes, I'm preparing a couple varieties of lettuce, some chard, something that's called "strawberry spinach" despite being neither, purple cauliflower and celery, pumpkins, and golden honey watermelons. I got a small outdoor greenhouse this year, so I'm trying to start some of them in it.

In the tree department, I've got a couple cold-hardy mandarins that will nevertheless remain in pots, a Nikita's Gift persimmon that will go in the ground when I feel up to it, and a royal medlar that will eventually go in the ground but is much too small at the moment.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I moved over the winter. Awaiting on a fence in the backyard so I can setup some raised garden beds. A lot going on this year so I think it might be a smaller garden season while I get setup in the newplace. So far I just have 5 tomato plants sitting in my windowsill awaiting for the weather to be transplanted outside.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
We don't look kindly upon lawns around here.

Also known as monoculture hell scape that offers nothing to society except depravity…

yeah........ that's just like, your opinion man. /thedude

My yard pumps out the oxygen, just like my gigantic vegetable and flower garden. Without thick lawns with root networks, runoff would create havoc.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
yeah........ that's just like, your opinion man. /thedude

My yard pumps out the oxygen, just like my gigantic vegetable and flower garden. Without thick lawns with root networks, runoff would create havoc.
To answer the other part of your question, I don't know of a lawncare OT or at least not one that lasted? I also think they are very separate topics and deserve two threads.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
My tulips and daffodils are in full bloom. Insta worth, even.

We just had our garden torn up by some pipe work. Time for me to chop down the tree that's too close to the house (and the city is providing a replacement later in the year). I've got a design sketched out to layer in native wild flowers and grasses of varying heights. Time to get started!

Besides my normal tomatoes, I'm preparing a couple varieties of lettuce, some chard, something that's called "strawberry spinach" despite being neither, purple cauliflower and celery, pumpkins, and golden honey watermelons. I got a small outdoor greenhouse this year, so I'm trying to start some of them in it.

In the tree department, I've got a couple cold-hardy mandarins that will nevertheless remain in pots, a Nikita's Gift persimmon that will go in the ground when I feel up to it, and a royal medlar that will eventually go in the ground but is much too small at the moment.

Wow, lovely spread of plants there. I'm now interested in this "strawberry spinach" you mention.

Are those persimmons the jelly or the crisp variety?

Well, if you want some help, I can help advise on putting in a native grass lawn that will do a better job of everything you listed there while also being far less maintenance. Seriously, native grass root systems are immense, especially out in the Midwest. Your lawn will be the healthiest on the block.

My home is about 50% native plants and 50% garden/non-native fruit trees - it's an amazing feeling to have all these plants doing the world some good.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Well, if you want some help, I can help advise on putting in a native grass lawn that will do a better job of everything you listed there while also being far less maintenance. Seriously, native grass root systems are immense, especially out in the Midwest. Your lawn will be the healthiest on the block.

My home is about 50% native plants and 50% garden/non-native fruit trees - it's an amazing feeling to have all these plants doing the world some good.

Really not interested in this type of opinion, but thanks. You do you, i'll do mine.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, lovely spread of plants there. I'm now interested in this "strawberry spinach" you mention.

Are those persimmons the jelly or the crisp variety?
This is my first year with the strawberry spinach, so I don't have personal experience with it yet. It produces red berries that look vaguely like strawberries but don't taste like them. I've seen them compared to mulberries. The leaves are also edible and are supposed to taste like a mild spinach.

The Nikita's Gift persimmon is actually a hybrid between the jelly and crisp varieties. I believe it comes down more on the jelly side of things.

FliX

Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Spent my first afternoon in the garden yesterday, the weather was lovely.

Cleared out all the wildflower shrubs from last season to make room for the new ones.
Kinda awkward balancing act between not doing it too early to let the birds and insects overwinter, but also not too late as to not trample all the fresh seedlings.
Hopefully I was not too later...
Plenty of green already poking through...

Before
J9mo6Sx.png

After
HPlahAW.png

Next stop, start some veggie seedlings...

Spent my first afternoon in the garden yesterday, the weather was lovely.

Cleared out all the wildflower shrubs from last season to make room for the new ones.
Kinda awkward balancing act between not doing it too early to let the birds and insects overwinter, but also not too late as to not trample all the fresh seedlings.
Hopefully I was not too later...
Plenty of green already poking through...

Before
J9mo6Sx.png

After
HPlahAW.png

Next stop, start some veggie seedlings...

Would be amazing to see some pictures of the wildflowers when they come into bloom!
Mine are going off right now, but won't be around anymore in a few weeks, unfortunately...

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This year I chose not to bother starting seeds indoors, as my efforts did not pan out well In the last couple years.

I'd like to buy nursery plants rather than seeds but the expense is higher - we'll see what we can do in the garden but it isn't settled yet. Still too early where I'm at anyway.

OP
OP
Anustart

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
This year I chose not to bother starting seeds indoors, as my efforts did not pan out well In the last couple years.

I'd like to buy nursery plants rather than seeds but the expense is higher - we'll see what we can do in the garden but it isn't settled yet. Still too early where I'm at anyway.

It's unusually cold for this time of year where I'm at :/ and I've also not started indoors so it's going to be nursery plants as well.

I'd also like to get flowers and stuff going to spruce up my yard. Who's got recommendations for a natural flowery look?

hom3land

Oct 27, 2017
Have a raised garden bed. Since last year, strawberries have taken over the thing. I don't mind keeping it all strawberries but its become overgrown. Does anyone where to start to get this under control.

image hosting