• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
OH, those are some seeds I'm starting for the second season. Alabama has two growing seasons split by the hottest part of the summer. It's Swiss chard in cups so I can bring them out of the heat late next month.
Ah, that makes sense.

From the funny pics thread. Very relevant here.

KGsant5.jpg

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So if I grow some plants indoor, how to I avoid getting bugs like gnats and such? It's the one thing that makes me want to not deal with indoor plants.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm growing pears, sour cherries, persimmons and grapes (they grow natural around the house)

Today I saw hundreds of these little mofos.

uUe5kZP.jpg

Spotted Lanternfly I think. They killed one of my pear trees.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That would also kill any beneficial microbes in your soil.

I don't know, I guess they do it only for starting mixes. I read about miracle-grow potting mix online and people keep complaining about the bags being full of gnats/eggs that lead to an infestation.

Well how long do you intend to grow inside? Forever? Or just starting seeds to transplant?

We've had a house plant for 8 years and don't have a bug problem because of it.

Well I have two balconies with a lot of sun, but I'm in Canada so either I only replant everything every year or I bring some indoor. I want to grow edibles like sage, chives, basil, mint, cilantro, rosemary, lemongrass, garlic, ginger, maybe some peppers, tomatoes would be nice. Indoor, I have one room I could use as a sort of permanent indoor garden but I'm thinking I'm getting way ahead of myself here so I'd prefer to be able to just bring the above plants indoor that I won't just restart every year.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I actually have to call the Department of Agriculture. The are an invasive species. Im tryong to order66 the whole lot of them. Plus I haven't seen a Mantua in these parts in years.
Where are you located? I'm in Southeastern North America. I was able to find Carolina Mantis Ootheca for sale on Amazon. They are indigenous here. Mine started hatching yesterday, I'll put them out to get to work tomorrow.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Just outside Philadelphia pa. Do they eat Lanternflys?
They will, but they don't aggressively seek them out... but if there's an overabundance they may see them as easy prey.

Edit: Just found this
It appears that the lanternflies are attracted to Common Milkweed (Asclepias syriaca). Because the USA is not their home, they don't know it is poisonous, and they eat it and it kills them. The poisonous sap also slows them down, so they are much easier to catch and smush in your hand. Common milkweed can save the Monarch butterfly from extinction and help stop lanternflies.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Need some praying Mantis or ladybugs.

I hear people say this all the time. While I agree with this concept on the surface... how viable is this for the long term? They're technically not pets and it's not like you can prevent them from flying away from your yard. For all we know, the minute you let them out, they fly really far away.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
I hear people say this all the time. While I agree with this concept on the surface... how viable is this for the long term? They're technically not pets and it's not like you can prevent them from flying away from your yard. For all we know, the minute you let them out, they fly really far away.
If you have a pest problem, they have food. They're hunters. They stay where to food is. It's less about keeping those specific ones and more about creating a thriving ecosystem. You want to reintroduce bugs that have been killed by pesticides. Pesticides have decimated the "good bug" populations...

Last edited:

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Neem oil mixed with a non fragrant dish soap in a spray bottle can also be really helpful for keeping pests away. You could also do it at a bigger scale, I backpack sprayer and have mixed it in that. I am not sure what all pests it prevents, but it sure seems like a cure all according the the internet. (Disclosure) first year using it so I am not sure how effective it is yet.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
For indoor plants when you water them and they have a drainage hole, you have a plate under, but do you move it to the sink or something just in case so as to make sure it doesn't leak on the floor? Or would that only happen if you really over-watered?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
For indoor plants when you water them and they have a drainage hole, you have a plate under, but do you move it to the sink or something just in case so as to make sure it doesn't leak on the floor? Or would that only happen if you really over-watered?
If you're afraid of over watering, move to the sink the first few times until you're confident in the correct amount for that plant /pot.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Water less first, you can always water more if you don't see any come out the bottom. Most people have issues with over watering and not under watering.

Also most plates are deeper than you think, if you need more amazon has a ton. The ones I just ordered from there are like.. an inch deep or close to.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Thanks for the replies.

Anyone has experience with expanded clay pellets?

www.youtube.com

The basics of semi-hydroponics (LECA) from a beginner // #Plantwithme

All the LECA stuff: https://kit.co/Hallease/semi-hydroponics-leca-basicsHey everyone! In this video, I'm going to show you the basics of how to put your plan...

I'm interested, seems practical for indoor. Gonna read more on it.

Looks pretty interesting. I have never tried soilless hydroponics. My buddy that does it said it's harder, so get down soil planting first, but he could be wrong lol. I believed him at the time so I am still only on soil.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Looks pretty interesting. I have never tried soilless hydroponics. My buddy that does it said it's harder, so get down soil planting first, but he could be wrong lol. I believed him at the time so I am still only on soil.

Yeah I'm thinking eventually I'll just try it with a single plant to figure how it is.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone ever grown a persimmon tree? It started off really strong after planting but it's leaves have been drooping the last few weeks. It's gotten plenty of water (especially since it's been raining like crazy).

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Wow I didn't even know we had a garden thread! I built some planter boxes early on in lockdown

Onions, salsa blend peppers and black-seeded Simpson lettuce:
ac7bed66-0e59-49fd-ak1j6l.jpeg

Corn, Roma tomatoes and green beans:
eef58e9b-e77a-43c0-8u0k2x.jpeg

My tomato stalks (stems?) are thicc:
57c98c1c-a1e6-4ffd-azkk5t.jpeg

Lavender:
c93b5a34-ad11-4b0d-bnkjjk.jpeg

I also enjoy doing some indoor gardening 😉
7cdf6f14-d89b-4db6-8zqkng.jpeg

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone ever grown a persimmon tree? It started off really strong after planting but it's leaves have been drooping the last few weeks. It's gotten plenty of water (especially since it's been raining like crazy).
I've had a persimmon tree for the last couple years. I think drooping is just what persimmon leaves do. I remember being alarmed by its leaves drooping after I planted it, so I went back to the nursery I got it from and all of the ones there were like that, too. Can you post a picture of your tree so I can see if it looks similar?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
inner-G I wish I had that kind of space :( Nice buds!
Only hope for me is to build a deck on the roof, which is likely going to be a big no from some engineer from what I was told before (even if it wasn't for gardening, he had worries about the weight since it's an old building...). I'd likely have to put in place some system to heat the roof in the winter to make up for the weight by melting the snow on it. Sounds expensive.........

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Will start with regular plants on my balcony.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
inner-G I wish I had that kind of space :( Nice buds!
Only hope for me is to build a deck on the roof, which is likely going to be a big no from some engineer from what I was told before (even if it wasn't for gardening, he had worries about the weight since it's an old building...). I'd likely have to put in place some system to heat the roof in the winter to make up for the weight by melting the snow on it. Sounds expensive.........

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Will start with regular plants on my balcony.
Thanks! Our yard is big but I wanted to build raised beds because the native soil around here can have lead and arsenic from a smelter that used to be around here :(

You can do a lot on a balcony or porch. If you can build/buy some sort of planter box you can typically fit more stuff than individual containers. Some stuff like strawberries you can grow in stacked containers too

For the "herbs" you could always try a small autoflower on A balcony depending on the privacy

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
I have 3 planted right now! Mine were planted this year and one looks fantastic, and 2 have maybe 2-3 leaf clusters. So my hunch is maybe its fine? It is a late fall bearing fruit trees, so maybe it picks up growth in the fall?

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
inner-G That's some THICC tomato plant!

Our failure snowpeas. LOL. There's enough for 1/4th of a meal for 1 person I guess.

Bqd9CWb.jpg

Behind the giant old ass onions are our sweet potato shrubs. It grew like crazy as always. This picture was taken after we already harvested the leaves for 2 meals.

1i9k0ds.jpg

My sunflowers live! Also, the plastic bottle is my dad's handy work at hybridizing our peach blossom. You can also see all the snap dragon littered around.

U9r6DnE.jpg

nM15gv8.jpg

My mom planted these bitter gourds. They're an acquired taste because they literally are bitter tasting.

NTC494T.jpg

The big one on the right side was the potato sprout we discovered in one of our super market potatoes. Later my parents found more potatoes sprouting so they planted them anyway. We had 0 intentions of planting potatoes this year, and yet here we are.

PWfufyb.jpg

Our string beans are stringing along nicely.

HoS64lX.jpg

Mom also planted some water spinach. I'm indifferent to them. Not sure why she decided to plant them, but my parents have a habit of just randomly adding shit.

ezyrrXY.jpg

The chayote vine.

ikiHkYQ.jpg

Our pot of lemons. They're bigger than my thumb now.

celoMux.jpg

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off topic, but I have a question about bees. So we had an old tree stump in our backyard ground this spring. I had some top soil trucked in and I've been trying to grow grass/clover ground cover in the area for a little over a month. This area is also adjacent to my vegetable garden. Anyways, I've noticed a lot of bees hanging out in the area, mostly on the ground. It started with just a handful but in the past week it's been a bit shocking, like 30 plus bees if I had to estimate it. My thinking is that because I'm keeping this section of the yard watered and it's been a dry summer, maybe their just attracted to the water? Does this sound normal?

They haven't been aggressive and I'm obviously not looking to kill them but it does make me a little nervous, especially with a toddler running around and a wife that's terrified of bees.

In other news, garden is coming along nicely. I'm hoping I'll have zucchini soon. I don't think I'll have to hand pollinate with the bee situation. Flowers started maybe a week ago but I haven't seen any fruit. My biggest surprise has been how much I've loved growing pumpkins. I don't even know what I'm going to do with them but the way their vines grow is rad.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
They haven't been aggressive and I'm obviously not looking to kill them but it does make me a little nervous, especially with a toddler running around and a wife that's terrified of bees.

Damn, this complicates things. I'm growing my garden to attract more bees, but I can't see I know much about what to do if you don't want them.

I really recommend going to bee communities online like reddit or facebook groups dedicated to bees, and ask for advice there. Maybe someone local can come to your place and help you safely remove them. Because bees are important and bee keepers are more than happy to help save bees anyway they can.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
My tomato stalks (stems?) are thicc:
57c98c1c-a1e6-4ffd-azkk5t.jpeg

That thing looks like it's in desperate need of a pruning. Your photo is a close up of a giant sucker that should be removed. Your box is already pretty crowded, I would definitely aggressively cut it back. Don't forget it needs support.

Here's some of my stuff from this year: Photos are from my Instagram which is why they're slightly arty, sorry.

woqRLnk.jpg

Rolande filet green beans

V7R5qKZ.jpg

Sunshine Blue Blueberries (one of the few varieties that can grow in so Cal)

yMhx5Lh.jpg

Mexican Zucchini. Still overproduces like all Zucchini here but the fruit doesn't seem to get quite as big as the Italian variety if you forget about it for a day.

fKgY23b.jpg

Sugar Baby corn. Planted Apr 1 so it was ready for the 4th of July.

TJzubeQ.jpg

Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye tomato. Unfortunately it caught a disease so these are the only 2 fruits that made it. Neat looking but don't think I'll try them again. I don't want to end on a sad note so here's some Cuostralee tomatoes from last year that did great:

UerEsrz.jpg

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
That thing looks like it's in desperate need of a pruning. Your photo is a close up of a giant sucker that should be removed. Your box is already pretty crowded, I would definitely aggressively cut it back. Don't forget it needs support.
I cut the suckers from the bottom nodes, but these upper ones have flowers on them

I do have them in cages for support

*they are also determinate tomatoes

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

Here's some of my stuff from this year: Photos are from my Instagram which is why they're slightly arty, sorry.

UerEsrz.jpg
these look amazing.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
IMG_20200711_113944.jpg
IMG_20200711_113534.jpg

Spaghetti squash is climbing the fence. I'll have to make some hammocks to help hold the weight.

Purple hull peas are growing really well...

Last edited:

Dr_LawyerCop

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Picked my first zucchini of the season and I was very pleased with myself. Grilled them with some pork chops for dinner tonight and they were fantastic. Going to pick some of my green beans tomorrow. I see a bunch but it's hard to know how many are ready because my pumpkins are taking over.

As for the bee situation I described earlier, I stopped watering the spot I noticed them on for a day or two till it dried out and they just kinda went away. Still see them about in the garden, but I don't have the hoards of them chilling on my dirt anymore.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

picked some peppers yesterday.

anyone ever made their own hot sauce? I've got a ton of pickled peppers i was considering giving it a shot maybe a little later in the season.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
anyone have any luck with bok choy or pak? I am able to grow it every year fine, but bugs sure love it and I am trying not to use heavy insecticides.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Let's do this.
Joining this thread with our new home and garden.

This is basically what we are staring out with. So our before. I'll try and post regular updates on progress.
In total the lot is 5300 sqft so we have plenty of room to do stuff.

TV3s2Zr.png

5CKaCmh.png

lvNOUfj.png

The plan.
  • Get rid of the ugly pine tree, or at least trim the lower levels back.
  • Remove the front lawn and replace it with wild local flowers and growth; We want a bee heaven.
  • Add some flower beds
  • Build raised beds
  • build a herb garden
  • build a green house

I sketched out our raised beds that I am really looking forward to build they are 8x3 sqft
Maybe two of them.
4PtQUix.png

umQNi19.png

kUDsfe0.png

Last edited:

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
5300 SF good lord, would be literally millions of dollars here.

Why 3 ft wide and not 4? Usually boxes are 4 wide so you can reach in 2 feet from either side. Why not get the extra planting space as long as you're spending the time to build those, not like you don't have the room.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017

Hmmm... that's a huge space for grass you should consider --

The plan.
  • Remove the front lawn and replace it with wild local flowers and growth; We want a bee heaven.

Good man.

You should look into building perennial beds. They're really beautiful and of course great for bees.

• Get rid of the ugly pine tree, or at least trim the lower levels back.

If you can, just trim it instead. A tree can be home to a few animals. If there are reasons beyond your control, then I'm can't blame you.