• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I'm not too pleased that I had major story beats spoiled for me, but spoiler culture needs to learn that there's more to a narrative than the sum of its twists. I'm still excitedly going to get the game myself. There's a narrative journey between each narrative destination.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Need them clicks. Next up: TLOU2 is one of the best looking game on PS4 despite being made by ND who usually makes the best looking PS games.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
These dudes just change the narrative when their obviously flimsy arguments and points get more holes punched in them than swiss cheese. If its one of the biggest sellers for Sony they'll shift the narrative, calling it overrated and the usual goalpost moving. "Of course it sells well! Its appealing to libtards and SJWs!"

And they'll do it again for Cyberpunk lol

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
A bunch of man babies complaining about nonsense isn't going to change anything. TLOU2 will be one of the best selling games of the year.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Did anyone really think otherwise ? The leaks have put me off the game, but I make up a very tiny minority of actual affected sales. The game is going to sell very well.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's going to sell well despite the leaks. Who actually cares about leaks in terms of purchasing the game unless its some really bad gameplay thing or something and even most people don't end up knowing about it.

Also, it says many countries and then just lists three and two of them Last of Us Part II isn't even the best selling game. This article is kind of lame.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
glad i'm not one of those. i was about to preorder it. having read the spoilers it really doesn't sound that great. if i do pick it up it'll be on PS5 when it's on sale for like £10-15.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
you all jumping down my throat for me saying interactive movie, I meant it more as a story driving experience then a fmv game or what ever.

I used to love these types of games but it's hard to commit 20-30 hours to a game when the drive force has been spoiled.

The drive force is ALWAYS the game. TLOU has incredible gameplay, incredibly tense, great moments and the way it tied to the story was done better than most games. The gameplay will be even better now it looks like. If all you care about is the story then don't buy any story driven game and just watch it on YouTube.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
If one person doesn't buy it because of the leaks, then it is a negative impact on sales. that is the thing that is quite funny, that posts like yours don't seem to grasp that.

No hard feelings, and not being off with you. Just saying it how it is, in purely business terms. The game will be fine though and sell looooooooooads!

I think it goes without saying that I (and I assume others) mean any impact that could be considered significant for a title that will probably reach 20 million LTD. Wasting time on semanthics like "1 lost sale is a negative impact" is quite frankly completely ridiculous. Are we talking numbers that could affect the amazon rankings posted in the OP? No. It's negligible and not even worth discussing.

I haven't read the leaks but seeing people passing judgement on the game based on them is something else. If TLOU's story had leaked I doubt anyone would've been impressed, it was the exeution that made the difference.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
He made a video claiming last of us 2 sucks because of the leaked details. It has 700K views on it. Dunno the contents of the video, but I don't really think Joe is alt-right or phobic unless I missed something.
Don't know about the content of his videos as he lost my viewership years ago, but Joe celebrated JonTron's return to Youtube and not too long ago did a video with Boogie, take that as you will.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
But I heard the leakers did us a favour and we didn't have to waste $60? Why are people wasting $60?????

Can't wait to preorder it next month for the preload.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
99.9% of people aren't looking up TLOU2 leaks, and even those who are still have a great chance of buying the game.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
It is because hardly anyone has seen the leaks. The vast majority of people who want to play this game probably aren't out there looking to get spoiled before playing the game lol.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't have expected the leaks to harm sales or preorders.

Most people are either going to avoid the leaks, or those that read them will probably be interested in the rest of the game.

Plus, evidence that spoilers actually harm the reception of a narrative is very mixed. Some studies have even demonstrated that having had the narrative spoiled actually enhances the experience.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, there were people who thought the leaks would somehow hurt sales of the game? lmao
But I heard the leakers did us a favour and we didn't have to waste $60? Why are people wasting $60?????

Can't wait to preorder it next month for the preload.
I can't believe that there were people who believe that some people believed the leaks would affect the game's sales in a meaningful way.
The leaks certainly wouldn't have affected sales, so not surprising.
I didn't even know this was a thing. I've been putting TLoU 2 threads on ignore and just noping out of threads talking about it.

I do remember ppl saying the subject matter would hurt sales tho. The virus, while this pandemic is going on.

Looks like that was wrong too.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
How it wouldn't? is there something else to buy for PS4 now? I meant, isn't that predator new game out now? Leaks will never stop this game for selling well, but the title is nothing news worthy neither.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't have expected the leaks to harm sales or preorders.

Most people are either going to avoid the leaks, or those that read them will probably be interested in the rest of the game.

Plus, evidence that spoilers actually harm the reception of a narrative is very mixed. Some studies have even demonstrated that having had the narrative spoiled actually enhances the experience.
I saw that happen. A guy in a podcast I listen to said the spoilers made him want to play the game more now. He wasn't as interested before the spoilers. That was mostly because the MP being removed dampened his overall hype but yeah.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
The game will sell a lot but I'm sure Sony lost a good amount of customers for now !

If the game reviews well especially for its story, skeptical people of today will probably change their mind later

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I'm not too pleased that I had major story beats spoiled for me, but spoiler culture needs to learn that there's more to a narrative than the sum of its twists. I'm still excitedly going to get the game myself. There's a narrative journey between each narrative destination.
This is something that's kinda aggravated me about this whole thing. There was a scene in Death Stranding that got to me and it only did so because of the journey to get to that scene. Out of context as a bulletpoint would have meant nothing to me.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still torn on whether to get this. The violence and general cruelty I've seen in some of the gameplay reminded of a couple scenes I've seen from shows like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones which convinced me I wouldn't be able to handle those shows. On the other hand the story sounds pretty interesting judging by the leaks.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Did people really think the spoilers would impact the sales of this game? It's a very very anticipated game and I think the people who were interested in buying the game in the first place will still pick it up.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game will sell a lot but I'm sure Sony lost a good amount of customers for now !

If the game reviews well especially for its story, skeptical people of today will probably change their mind later

Most people don't know or care about the leaks. This will be a ten million plus seller over its lifetime and probably rival the launches of Spider-Man and FFVII remake.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't only a small fraction of the playerbase for any console frequent gaming news and personality sites online to know about the leaks?
Mmhm. Most casual/mainstream gamers are quite oblivious about a lot of things. Just go to any comment section on facebook etc. A bunch of misinformation or a completely incorrect understanding of how the industry works. For example, a lot of people seem to think that if a game is on a console, it was made by Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mmhm. Most casual/mainstream gamers are quite oblivious about a lot of things. Just go to any comment section on facebook etc. A bunch of misinformation or a completely incorrect understanding of how the industry works. For example, a lot of people seem to think that if a game is on a console, it was made by Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony.
Zelda is the name of the main dude with green hat in these games

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Most people don't know or care about the leaks. This will be a ten million plus seller over its lifetime and probably rival the launches of Spider-Man and FFVII remake.
That's why I said the game will sell a lot
But leaks will definitely impact day one/week sales (but can be offset by reviews praising its story/gameplay)

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Threads like these are honestly kind of insufferable heh. People who read leaks chiming in with their premature hot takes and gross ""hints"". Ugh. I might have to avoid every TLoU2 thread from here on in if that's really how people are going to be.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a single time that a huge game had its sales heavily impacted thanks to leaks.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
Threads like these are honestly kind of insufferable heh. People who read leaks chiming in with their premature hot takes and gross ""hints"". Ugh. I might have to avoid every TLoU2 thread from here on in if that's really how people are going to be.
Yeah that would probably be the best course of action. People can't help themselves.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's why I said the game will sell a lot
But leaks will definitely impact day one/week sales (but can be offset by reviews praising its story/gameplay)

Offset by what? Even if it lost 10,00 sales that's a drop in the bucket for the monster that is TLOU2 sales at launch. What leak of a huge AAA game caused any kind of serious dampening of the sales?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
See, I jumped straight to the last page and stayed back here. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm out, lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Top selling game at Amazon? What does that mean? As far as I'm aware Amazon doesn't share how it comes up with this. I'm not saying it's not the top selling game. But sales wise it is a worthless metric making the point of thread kind of watered down without actual data.

Edit: Now GTAV is the top selling game on the Amazon uk chart. So not knowing how they come up with this means relatively nothing.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018
Why is anyone surprised its selling good. I'm so far, spoiler free and I won't be reading anything TLOU2 til I finish the game.

TLOU is one of last gen's biggest titles.

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

but muh angry youtubers say it bad, cuz..
Jesus...

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
This shows that the leaks may have had an inverse impact to what the hackers intended. People are more curious and intrigued, people are talking about the game more, the strengthening discourse results in strengthening interest. Whatever you feel about the story, people want to see what happens regardless. The Last of Us Part II's going to be a hit no matter what the leaks revealed.

Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious that the leaks are never going to put a dent in what this game will sell.

That being said, I'm not buying it simply because what I've seen doesn't sit well with me. It's not a boycott or anything. It's the same reaction I would have gotten from this game if I had received this information after launch. If I see new information after launch that changes my mind, I'll gladly get the game, though.

sasnak

Dec 4, 2018
This shows that the leaks may have had an inverse impact to what the hackers intended. People are more curious and intrigued, people are talking about the game more, the strengthening discourse results in strengthening interest. Whatever you feel about the story, people want to see what happens regardless. The Last of Us Part II's going to be a hit no matter what the leaks revealed.
No it just means that 99% of people who are planning to buy this game either don't care about the leaks or don't even know they exist.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Majority of people have no idea whats in the story leaks.

I'm not getting it specifically due to what I read in the spoilers, but I wouldn't say i'm 'boycotting' the game - I simply don't want to play it anymore.

That said, i'm under no illusion that its gonna be anything other than one of the best reviewed, looking, playing, and selling games of the generation.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Why would leaks stop sales? I haven't even paid any attention to any of the leaks nor would I expect anyone who plans to buy the game.