• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Umm, SOTC and God of War have 60 fps modes on the pro. Rage 2 has a 60 fps mode on the pro just like the xbox one x version. Infamous Second son has an unlocked framerate and easily hits 60 fps in its performance mode. Dark Souls 3's pro patch also unlocks the framerate instead of upping the resolution and hits 60 fps. Tomb Raider games have 60 fps versions and uncharted 4 mp is 1080p 60 fps on the pro.

it will be interesting to see if Death Stranding, TLOU or Ghost of Tshushima also come with 60 fps versions.
Get back to me when they have a steady 60fps mode. It hasn't happened on each and every mode of the game. Sony simply put, has not committed to it.

Gears 5 just doesn't look great, the facial expressions are up there with anything that has been put out and it has an almost locked 60 fps mode on every mode on the X. They committed hard and they achieved it. All of this on a development schedule of two and a half years. It is being compared to games built to run at half the frame rate that had development schedules running all the way from 4 years, 6 years, to beyond that. To current day, this is the best looking game I have seen, it is also technically a feat in game engineering, and you will know from the next gen thread that I am a huge fan of 60 fps.

People want to compare this game with anything, compare it to Uncharted 4's multiplayer, which I stated some time back on this very thread. You will maybe get an idea why not many developers bother with 60fps. Or you might look at FH4 which is an open world game that hard a great 60fps mode and is open world in 1080p.

Oct 31, 2017
Uncharted 4 60FPS:
1.bmp4opjq.jpg

4.bmp1qok9.jpg

Gears 5 60FPS:
GQF5qjE.png

OR26BmR.png

I mean... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This is some wild trolling lol.

Comparing MP to SP and also comparing a game that released two days ago to a game that's almost 4 years old? C'mon lol, this is sad.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of War does not have a 60fps mode on the Pro. It has an unlocked framerate "performance" mode which irritatingly constantly fluctuates and judders between 30-60. And it's only 1080p. I preferred to stick with the resolution mode as it was far more stable with less judder thanks to the 30fps cap, and cb4k resolution. Same for Shadow of the Tomb Raider. When it comes to 60fps, there's a big difference between what those games are doing and what Gears 5 is doing, at a stable 60fps, with only occasional dips in to the 50s under high load, and at dynamic 4k resolution.
Get back to me when they have a steady 60fps mode. It hasn't happened on each and every mode of the game. Sony simply put, has not committed to it.

Gears 5 just doesn't look great, the facial expressions are up there with anything that has been put out and it has an almost locked 60 fps mode on every mode on the X. They committed hard and they achieved it. All of this on a development schedule of two and a half years. It is being compared to games built to run at half the frame rate that had development schedules running all the way from 4 years, 6 years, to beyond that. To current day, this is the best looking game I have seen, it is also technically a feat in game engineering, and you will know from the next gen thread that I am a huge fan of 60 fps.

People want to compare this game with anything, compare it to Uncharted 4's multiplayer, which I stated some time back on this very thread. You will maybe get an idea why not many developers bother with 60fps. Or you might look at FH4 which is an open world game that hard a great 60fps mode and is open world in 1080p.
i really dont understand this kind of dismissal of 60 fps modes just because they arent locked. none of the cod games last gen had a locked 60 fps and yet everyone considered them 60 fps games and used that to shit on the battlefield games. this gen battlefield games targeted 60 fps and took that marketing point away from cod. they never hit 60 fps on a consistent basis. but they were good enough to be considered 60 fps. i am playing control on my rtx 2080 right now and it struggles to hold 60 fps when shit starts flying around.

bottomline is that both sotc and gow had dedicated 60 fps modes. dismissing them just because they arent locked is just silly. saying sony doesnt make it a priority when sony has three games with dedicated 60 fps modes on their midgen refresh is insane especially when considering the fact that gears 5 is literally the only x exclusive that has a 60 fps mode when the base game doesnt.

there is zero doubt that the gears 5 60 fps native 4k presentation is in a league of its own. despite the dynamic resolution, it hits native 4k 60 fps which is 4x the resolution despite being only 1.4x more powerful than the pro gpu. its a testament to the x's hardware design which wasnt bottlenecked by the memory bandwidth like the pro is. its a testament to the design philosophy and engineering work at coalition to make that happen. its an amazing technological achievement.

that said, you guys dont have to put down the work sony devs have done just to big up the accomplishments of your favorite games. i have platinumed gow and beat all valkyries on silky smooth 60 fps mode, did all nilfheim and musphelheim trials for over a hundred hours with zero slowdowns, did all the hard trials in sotc at a smooth 60 fps and beat the game 4 times in a row to get all the combat trophies. they are 60 fps modes, through and through.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say not comparable. One runs at a solid 60 fps, while the other works within 30 frames. The design goals are different here.
Go find me a game that runs at 60 fps and looks anywhere near as good as Gears 5 does.
They are absolutely comparable, gears technically is better but it doesn't look better than rdr 2.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Umm, SOTC and God of War have 60 fps modes on the pro. Rage 2 has a 60 fps mode on the pro just like the xbox one x version. Infamous Second son has an unlocked framerate and easily hits 60 fps in its performance mode. Dark Souls 3's pro patch also unlocks the framerate instead of upping the resolution and hits 60 fps. Tomb Raider games have 60 fps versions and uncharted 4 mp is 1080p 60 fps on the pro.

Most of the games that you listed don't have ''60 fps modes''.

They run at an unlocked framerate that hovers between 40s and 60, and that at 1080p.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've seen anyone achieve what The Coalition does on console at 60fps. As soon as you do 60fps to 60fps comparisons, you can see how absolutely incredible it is. Most others need to lower framerate to 30fps to do the same.

And they do it on unreal 4 at that which is also a feat.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like there are going to many more of these 'fierce debates' on who does what best in the future. As a gamer, this make me incredibly happy.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Gotta be honest: game looks great, but I'm disappointed with performance on X. I'm seeing a pretty significant amount of screen tearing. Can't stand screen tearing. Not that I'd switch back to 30 fps, but tearing sucks.

Come to think of it...is there a vsync option? I forget to check.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bottomline is that both sotc and gow had dedicated 60 fps modes. dismissing them just because they arent locked is just silly. saying sony doesnt make it a priority when sony has three games with dedicated 60 fps modes on their midgen refresh is insane especially when considering the fact that gears 5 is literally the only x exclusive that has a 60 fps mode when the base game doesnt.

Forza Horizon 4. Gears 4.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say not comparable. One runs at a solid 60 fps, while the other works within 30 frames. The design goals are different here.
Go find me a game that runs at 60 fps and looks anywhere near as good as Gears 5 does.
The interesting thing is that Gears 5 is comparable, and still 60fps. And RDR2 was my GOTY so I'm not one of those who spent all their time here downplaying RDR2. I'm just completely blown away by Gears 5!

The X version is nuts too so it's not just the PC version. Otherwise I always play multiplats on PC because the graphics is always so much better and the framerate is crap on console. But not this time. The X version is actually good enough that I'm seriously considering playing through it on the X instead just to get the couch/HDR/4K/Atmos experience. I still have to try playing it on triple screens before I make that decision though. Skiffing should be niiice on three screens!

But the best thing about is is that they haven't sacrificed the gameplay for smooth animations or anything like that, it's still as tight as ever.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
The interesting thing is that Gears 5 is comparable, and still 60fps. And RDR2 was my GOTY so I'm not one of those who spent all their time here downplaying RDR2. I'm just completely blown away by Gears 5!

The X version is nuts too so it's not just the PC version. Otherwise I always play multiplats on PC because the graphics is always so much better and the framerate is crap on console. But not this time. The X version is actually good enough that I'm seriously considering playing through it on the X instead just to get the couch/HDR/4K/Atmos experience. I still have to try playing it on triple screens before I make that decision though. Skiffing should be niiice on three screens!

But the best thing about is is that they haven't sacrificed the gameplay for smooth animations or anything like that, it's still as tight as ever.

I can absolutely relate to this, the great thing is next gen such sacrifices (framerate) won't have to be made anymore for consoles games. I for one cannot wait to see what developers can deliver on Scarlett/PS5.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are absolutely comparable, gears technically is better but it doesn't look better than rdr 2.

I don't really agree. The two most impressive things in RDR2 are the geometry streaming / LoD and the lighting system, neither of which look more impressive in Gears 5 to me. In fact, terrain geometry is pretty blocky in gears, kind of like one of my issues with quite a bit of U4. RDR 2 strength lies in how the visuals hold up from local to macro scale with very little obvious pop in, plus an incredible lighting system. Both games have their strengths and weaknesses, but saying Gears is technically better as if it is a fact doesn't quite hold. RDR2 being an open world is a much more complex game in terms of AI simulation etc, and even then the graphics hold up. Gears is up to 60 fps on XboneX, but RDR2 also manages 4k.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Hang on, might be in late with this comment but....

Is there actually anything in comparison on console?

People seem to be bringing up Uncharted 4, it has to be 30fps to achieve those graphics. Gears 5 is 60fps.....it is doing it at 60fps, no comparison!

There really isn't a proper comparison. The best looking console games tend to be PS4 exclusives, but the XB1X is far more powerful than the Pro, so Gears 5 is better in the same ways the PC games tend to beat out consoles - resolution and framerate.

They're utilizing the massively increased power gap between XB1 and XB1X, whereas the gap between PS4 and PS4 Pro is much smaller.

Hmm surprised at the lack of Assassins Creed Odyssey mentions in this thread. I think it's definitely one of the best looking games of all time.

Odyssey looks pretty incredible at a macro scale, but I don't really think it excels above the competition in any specific facet. Maybe water.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
i really dont understand this kind of dismissal of 60 fps modes just because they arent locked. none of the cod games last gen had a locked 60 fps and yet everyone considered them 60 fps games and used that to shit on the battlefield games. this gen battlefield games targeted 60 fps and took that marketing point away from cod. they never hit 60 fps on a consistent basis. but they were good enough to be considered 60 fps. i am playing control on my rtx 2080 right now and it struggles to hold 60 fps when shit starts flying around.

there is zero doubt that the gears 5 60 fps native 4k presentation is in a league of its own. despite the dynamic resolution, it hits native 4k 60 fps which is 4x the resolution despite being only 1.4x more powerful than the pro gpu. its a testament to the x's hardware design which wasnt bottlenecked by the memory bandwidth like the pro is. its a testament to the design philosophy and engineering work at coalition to make that happen. its an amazing technological achievement.

that said, you guys dont have to put down the work sony devs have done just to big up the accomplishments of your favorite games. i have platinumed gow and beat all valkyries on silky smooth 60 fps mode, did all nilfheim and musphelheim trials for over a hundred hours with zero slowdowns, did all the hard trials in sotc at a smooth 60 fps and beat the game 4 times in a row to get all the combat trophies. they are 60 fps modes, through and through.

I mean, of course some games will run at 60 FPS on the X since it's a more powerful console, wouldn't Uncharted 4 or Gow run at a locked 60 FPS with that kind of machine?

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through gears 5 now on my 2080 Ti. It's awesome... but Control is next-gen and was far more exciting for me visually even if artistically its not pushing things as far.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having seen the df video I have to say that what TC did on the base console, with Jaguar CPUs on a 1.3TF console is more of an achievement than what they do on the X. The game looks fantastic on standard Xbox One.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I can absolutely relate to this, the great thing is next gen such sacrifices (framerate) won't have to be made anymore for consoles games. I for one cannot wait to see what developers can deliver on Scarlett/PS5.
Don't set yourself up for disappointment, framerate sacrifices are rarely caused by the hardware, it's just that some devs think 30fps is enough so they use the power for other stuff instead. I mean launch day Forza 5 on weak ass OG Xbox One was 1080p 60fps. That's something even the upgraded consoles seemingly can't do if you listen to some devs. :P

You should google Insomniac and 60fps, they did a survey and came to the conclusion that 60fps simply wasn't needed. That's why Spider-Man is 30fps even on the Pro. If they would've updated Sunset Overdrive with an X enhancement patch you can bet it would be to get 4K, not 60fps.

Unfortunately, even with super powerful hardware I think some devs will just add more physics or particles or higher resolution or ultra textures or ray-tracing, or whatever they think will add more to the experience than a higher framerate.

If we're lucky we'll get more games running at 60fps through the backwards-compatibility though.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's played through all of the console games listed, especially ps4 exclusives multiple times Gears 5 is comparable. There's just nothing pound for pound better looking than it from a complete total packaged standpoint on consoles. Every Pro/X game that I've played that has offered a high frame rate mode completely butchers the resolution to try to even reach 60fps. You always end up with a soft/blurry looking 1080p 60fpsish visuals on a 4K display. Gears of war 4 has the same issue on X, which they've somehow managed to fix in 5 with magic.

Not only does Gears 5 run at 60fps with very minimal noticeable/substantial drops, it's doing all that while giving you a sharp clean image resolution wise that marries itself perfectly with a 4K/HDR display.

If RDR2, HZD, Uncharted4, GODW4 ran at 60fps and maintained the image quality of there Pro/X high resolution enhancements, my opinion on the matter would be totally different but that's not the case..🤷🏽‍♂️

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the game looks great. Its extremely pretty to look at, especially some scenes. The HDR implementation, the colours are so vibrant. Comparing it to say RDR2 or Horizon Zero Dawn, it looks a little cartoony in comparison to those two and when you get a close up of say Jinn or Baird, the quality just isnt there compared to God of War or RDR2. It's a amazing looking game but there's just the odd instances where it falls short.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I mean, you can draw your own inferences from professionals who have played through all the games y'all keep bringing up

Digital foundry said it sets new standards for Xbox One. That includes the best version of RDR 2.

Gamingbolt calls it arguably the best looking game they've played. And they were the same guys that previously held up God of War as the best looking game they'd seen.

I mean, these are still subjective opinions - albeit from professionals - and you can disagree with them. But piping in with "Not even close" when you haven't even played it is just hilarious.

The bottom line is that Gears 5 looks to be in the same bucket as the likes of God of War, HZD, RDR2, Forza Horizon 4 as the best looking games of this generation. And it does this running at twice the frame rate.

There is a very obvious lack of geometry detail and shader complexity in every scene I have seen of this game, clear indicators of the compromises they had to make for 60fps.
AO is very inaccurate too and most of the distant objects lack shadows.

It's still a great looking game for 60fps, but in that category i think BF2 looks better, though not 4k of course.

Still, can't say it's on par with most of the notable 30fps games recently.

And this is why y'all need to play the games themselves vs scrutinizing compressed videos from YouTube.
Digital Foundry's in-depth analysis found the exact opposite of your claims with respect to detail, geometry and shadows.

Gaming sites always use obvious hyperbolic titles it's kind of annoying and unprofessional

But that reads like a regular title. 'X game may arguably have the best graphics we've seen' is an opinion. Where's the hyperbole?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Gears is up to 60 fps on XboneX, but RDR2 also manages 4k.
?
Gears 5 is 4K too.
But I honestly don't care, I'm 43 and wear glasses lol, I'm just blown away by the spectacular graphics, textures, surprisingly colorful environments and all the post-war crap littering the maps all getting pushed around at 60fps on a 6TF console. The level of detail is crazy and imo it's all an insane technical achievement really.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
User banned (3 days): trolling over a series of posts
I mean, you can draw your own inferences from professionals who have played through all the games y'all keep bringing up

Digital foundry said it sets new standards for Xbox One. That includes the best version of RDR 2.

digital foundry are not professionals dude. They're youtubers with no education in the field, no access to source codes and no knowledge of what any of the game's they are covering do outside of surface level analysis. youtubers that analyze games by eye and screenshot comparisons. You and me could do the entire thing they do. They're not professionals and certainly not outside the realm of being wrong. Dont hold them up higher than they are

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
digital foundry are not professionals dude. They're youtubers with no education in the field, no access to source codes and no knowledge of what any of the game's they are covering do outside of surface level analysis. youtubers that analyze games by eye and screenshot comparisons. You and me could do the entire thing they do. They're not professionals and certainly not outside the realm of being wrong. Dont hold them up higher than they are
I honestly thought this was sarcasm when I first read it.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I've watched the cutscenes in Gears 5 and nothing I've seen approaches the animation standards of Uncharted 4, particularly not facial animation

Yep. I don't know where that came from.
Coalition did an impressive job with those cutscenes (modelling, surfacing etc) and they do look bonkers for sure.
There's a lot to like here (not the large open environments; the snowy area doesn't look great) but facial animation in UC4 or even DMC5 is in a completely different league.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Is this not sarcasm?

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Uncharted 4 was release almost 4 years ago on a weaker and cheaper console.
Gears 5 just came out 2 days ago on a stronger console...

Come on, it's ridiculous to compare these 2 games guys.

giphy.gif
In fact it is, considering the newer one on the more powerful console have the same if not better image fidelity at double the frame rate and even higher resolution most of the time.

A more fair comparison would be with 60fps console games of the last 2 years, but even there Gears 5 tops them all easily, so that's why it's super honest to call it the new graphics/technical pinnacle to beat on current consoles. ;)

CanisMajoris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The bottom line is that Gears 5 looks to be in the same bucket as the likes of God of War, HZD, RDR2, Forza Horizon 4 as the best looking games of this generation. And it does this running at twice the frame rate.

This is the kind of ignorant bullshit that is prevents any sort of legitimate discussion. No, it's not in the "same bucket" as those games AND runs at twice the framerate, there are obvious visual compromises compared to those games you mentioned and that's how it runs at 60fps.

Now you can choose to ignore those compromises, but they are quite visible and sometimes stand out as glaring throughout the entire game.

edit: Actually look no farther than Gears 5 screenshots thread to see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gears 5 is a very good looking game but not the best looking.

The game which has impressed me the most is the new Ghost Recon. That looks phenomonal maxed out.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

My point is that a locked (or near locked) 60fps is not the same thing as what is nothing more than an uncapped framerate toggle. One actually is spending most of its time at 60fps, the other just allows you to see all the lost frames above 30fps that otherwise wouldn't be rendered due to the cap.

There is a huge difference between a game that spends 99% of its time at 60fps, and a game that is constantly fluctuating between 30-60fps. The former requires a great deal of work and optimisation, the latter is simply a case of disabling the 30fps cap.

Every 30fps game could easily give you the option to disable the 30fps cap on consoles, that doesn't make it a "60fps mode". Indeed God of War doesn't even call it a "60fps mode". Same for Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Same for Gears 4. SotC Remake is a different deal, because it really does spend the vast majority of its time at a locked 60fps in 1080p mode.

What makes a game 60fps is how much of the time it actually sticks to that framerate.

As for your comment about Control, I also have a 2080Ti. And yes, if everything is on max, then it doesn't run at 60fps. But then I wouldn't say it does! Because it doesn't. But it does if you use DLSS at 1080p, or at 1440p and drop the RTX settings to Medium. But that's besides the point.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
This is the kind of ignorant bullshit that is prevents any sort of legitimate discussion. No, it's not in the "same bucket" as those games AND runs at twice the framerate, there are obvious visual compromises compared to those games you mentioned and that's how it runs at 60fps.

Now you can choose to ignore those compromises, but they are quite visible and sometimes stand out as glaring throughout the entire game.

edit: Actually look no farther than Gears 5 screenshots thread to see what I'm talking about.
Yeah..ok.

lol, this place sometimes.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017

30fps is the biggest visual compromise.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I booted up God of What last night and it really didn't look as good as I remember it looking.

Maybe that's the Gears effect, but I remember being blown away by it last year, just like I'm constantly blown away by Gears.

It also doesn't feel as fluid, it feels like I'm walking and fighting through honey compared to how fluidly Gears handles.