• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
From DF thread

So, it's not the best game looking of all time since base console was the lead platfom. So, a 30 fps game basically since stronger console just provide a 60fps/4k. After 3 years game on weaker console barely reached Uncharted 4 graphics fidelity.
The Xbox One X is supposed to play base Xbox games at 4k resolution just the same way the PS4 Pro is supposed to play base PS4 games at checkerboard 4K. Sony doesn't even bother getting games running at better frame rate, something Microsoft tries to play around with. You have Gears 5 running at 4K60, Forza Horizon 4 running at 4k30 or 1080p60.
Let's not get carried away now. Naughty Dog's animation budget is absolutely huge and to be honest I've watched the cutscenes in Gears 5 and nothing I've seen approaches the animation standards of Uncharted 4, particularly not facial animation (and we shouldn't get started on Part II that we've seen enough animation of to know it's in a league of its own and is about to set new standards that the rest of the industry will be looking to catch up to years later). Even in the most expressive scenes where characters are crying, it comes across as pretty flat by comparison to the best Uncharted 4 has to offer. Let's not forget that their animators have also been hand-keying which makes the end results even more emphatic and impressive. It achieves a standard of realistic microexpression that I've never before seen in games. Take a look at moments in scenes like this.

426175b65825c0dc8e0800a00794fe9a.gif

ahoQhfx.gif

these are cutscenes but this level of attention to detail extends to numerous facets of the gameplay as well.

and this what is accomplished specificaly in this scene is absolutely untouched.

It would seem that is what they believe. Not sure why.

There is an option in act 4 where
you can either save Del or JD. Save Del and a few moments down the line look at the expression of pain on Marcus face. In the second act after Del gets Kait off the machine that is supposed to unlink her from the hive, him questioning her. The discussion between Jinn and Marcus, the discussion between Jinn and delta squad prior to act 4.
MOD EDIT: Please don't post open spoilers for a game that just released.

There are so many areas where the acting and facial animation in Gears 5 stands out. This is something that has been pointed out too by the DF analysis video.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
As good as it looks (I have only played up to the end of Act II), I would surely place it well below Red Dead Redemption 2, and roughly on par with Sony´s top offerings.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
As good as it looks (I have only played up to the end of Act II), I would surely place it well below Red Dead Redemption 2, and roughly on par with Sony´s top offerings.
Now consider it's pushing 2x-3x the performance of any of those games by targeting and hitting a fluid 60fps+ instead of that "cinematic" 30fps experience.

That's why it's part of the discussion and arguably the best and most well-rounded on the market.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted 4 60FPS:
1.bmp4opjq.jpg

4.bmp1qok9.jpg

Gears 5 60FPS:
GQF5qjE.png

OR26BmR.png

I mean... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think I've seen anyone achieve what The Coalition does on console at 60fps. As soon as you do 60fps to 60fps comparisons, you can see how absolutely incredible it is. Most others need to lower framerate to 30fps to do the same.

Jun 22, 2018
After playing it myself since yesterday, I would say I agree.

It's just visually stunning all around. I often find myself just stopping to stare at how great things look.

Jan 17, 2019
User Banned (1 Week): Trolling and Antagonizing Other Users Over Multiple Posts in this Thread; Accumulated Infractions
Never said anything about accepting your terms lmao secondly you said i don't own a ps4 not what games i played. Either you think i own a ps4 or not simple. You're not getting my psn ID don't trust you (hacks) or even need you to be on my friends list. I think you are about to be put on ignore list if you don't accept that I own a ps4

I just said you don't have a PS4, plain and simple. I didn't have any attention to made a bet at all. But you started a bet, you made your terms. Since you did that, so i said my terms. I'd accepted your bet and terms, but you will accept mine without any further discussion like i have accepted yours. If you don't wanna play, then go away. That's how the bet works.

CHICKEN
!

You afraid of hacks, yet you have surely bunch of friends on Xbox and made a your XBL acc. visible to all and you don't afraid of possibly hacks. Anyway, why i would abuse your glorious PSN ID and send a friend request. LOL.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox One X is supposed to play base Xbox games at 4k resolution just the same way the PS4 Pro is supposed to play base PS4 games at checkerboard 4K. Sony doesn't even bother getting games running at better frame rate, something Microsoft tries to play around with. You have Gears 5 running at 4K60, Forza Horizon 4 running at 4k30 or 1080p60.
Umm, SOTC and God of War have 60 fps modes on the pro. Rage 2 has a 60 fps mode on the pro just like the xbox one x version. Infamous Second son has an unlocked framerate and easily hits 60 fps in its performance mode. Dark Souls 3's pro patch also unlocks the framerate instead of upping the resolution and hits 60 fps. Tomb Raider games have 60 fps versions and uncharted 4 mp is 1080p 60 fps on the pro.

it will be interesting to see if Death Stranding, TLOU or Ghost of Tshushima also come with 60 fps versions.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
While I do think Gears 5 looks amazing, it absolutely isn't the best looking game i've ever seen.

GoW, UC4, RDR2 and HZD have all beaten it.. But if you want to get into technical performance, Gears' technical performance is pretty unmatched.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Hang on, might be in late with this comment but....

Is there actually anything in comparison on console?

People seem to be bringing up Uncharted 4, it has to be 30fps to achieve those graphics. Gears 5 is 60fps.....it is doing it at 60fps, no comparison!

Jun 22, 2018
While I do think Gears 5 looks amazing, it absolutely isn't the best looking game i've ever seen.

GoW, UC4, RDR2 and HZD have all beaten it.. But if you want to get into technical performance, Gears' technical performance is pretty unmatched.
Those are all great looking games, but I never felt as blown away by them as I do when I play Gears 5.

HZD was the weirdest for me. It had some spectacular looking areas and then some areas that really looked pretty low quality, almost felt like they were running out of time / money to polish them.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I just said you don't have a PS4, plain and simple. I didn't have any attention to made a bet at all. But you started a bet, you made your terms. Since you did that, so i said my terms. I'd accepted your bet and terms, but you will accept mine without any further discussion like i have accepted yours. If you don't wanna play, then go away. That's how the bet works.

CHICKEN
!

You afraid of hacks, yet you have surely bunch of friends on Xbox and made a your XBL acc. visible to all and you don't afraid of possibly hacks. Anyway, why i would abuse your glorious PSN ID and send a friend request. LOL.

You're not making sense lmao I'll prove i have a ps4 again there's no need for you to have my psn id how does that prove I have ps4 when I can post a pic of my console with my name and your name? Exactly doesn't and again there was never a term I had to accept from you. Either you take my bet as is or not. I trust XBL more than sony security ;)

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Umm, SOTC and God of War have 60 fps modes on the pro. Rage 2 has a 60 fps mode on the pro just like the xbox one x version. Infamous Second son has an unlocked framerate and easily hits 60 fps in its performance mode. Dark Souls 3's pro patch also unlocks the framerate instead of upping the resolution and hits 60 fps. Tomb Raider games have 60 fps versions and uncharted 4 mp is 1080p 60 fps on the pro.

it will be interesting to see if Death Stranding, TLOU or Ghost of Tshushima also come with 60 fps versions.
Doubt it, TLOU2 might get a 60fps MP mode that's it. We can only hope that it support 1440p temporal scale to 4K like Gears 5 or Spiderman instead of checkerboard rendering instead of a fixed 1440p like the gamepaly reveal and their previous titles. GoT pretty much need a PS5 version for 60fps. I do think GoW is comparable to Gears 5 in 1080p with unlocked 45+ish fps to Gears 5 given the HW gap between the pro and xbx. If SMS get to further optimized the game until this day, they can probably get it close to 60fps irc it was something added last minute. Weakest part of GoW is probably the texture work which is probably suffering from long dev cycle.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
It's certainly the best looking 60FPS console from what I can tell.
Battlefront 2 is probably the closest thing to it.

Based on what I have seen it doesn't quite reach some of the best looking 30FPS games, though.

How heavy you weigh 60FPS when it comes to "looks" depends of personal taste, I guess.

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
it definitely doesn't look as good as you remember. I booted it up and the shit looks very rough around the edges and when looking at distant objects. Lots of very low-resolution armor pieces as well.

Like, oof. Animation is top tier, though.
I actually just got the Platnium trophy a month ago. I played it on my PS4 Pro and on a OLED tv but it looked amazing to me.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Playing through it now and it's defintely up there as one of the best. That first area that you rappel down into is absolutely gorgeous.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 on One X is an incredible technical achievement, I just finished watching the DF video and the environmental detail is sublime.

That said it is completely undercut but the absolutely horrendous character designs.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna have to agree with you there.....the Gears games have always been technically impressive,not sure why anyone would argue with that....but from the first time I saw those character models with those bulky armors all those years ago I knew this series wasn't for me at all.

Yeah I've basically never cared about gears in general. The art style is just horrid throughout the entire series. Also the movement is just too bulky and tank like. It's never been much fun to play or to look at.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen the game now on PC in Ultrawide, on an HDR 4K TV, and on a 1080p SDR monitor, and I've gotta say, this game really does look that good. Uncharted 4 was the last time I had been so impressed by a game's visuals in motion, and on the whole, pound-for-pound, I think I actually agree with the sentiment that Gears 5 is the best looking game of all time. I didn't expect to feel that way after seeing previews and screenshots but it's like this game takes on a whole new look in motion.

Sora78

Jun 3, 2018
Uncharted 4 was release almost 4 years ago on a weaker and cheaper console.
Gears 5 just came out 2 days ago on a stronger console...

Come on, it's ridiculous to compare these 2 games guys.

giphy.gif

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

God of War does not have a 60fps mode on the Pro. It has an unlocked framerate "performance" mode which irritatingly constantly fluctuates and judders between 30-60. And it's only 1080p. I preferred to stick with the resolution mode as it was far more stable with less judder thanks to the 30fps cap, and cb4k resolution. Same for Shadow of the Tomb Raider. When it comes to 60fps, there's a big difference between what those games are doing and what Gears 5 is doing, at a stable 60fps, with only occasional dips in to the 50s under high load, and at dynamic 4k resolution.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Gears 5 isn't consistent. Act 2 already looks way better than anything in the first one. Characters during gameplay can look pretty mediocre too.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Hmm surprised at the lack of Assassins Creed Odyssey mentions in this thread. I think it's definitely one of the best looking games of all time.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks amazing, which it should given the budget it had I guess, but still kudos to all the developers involved. But I think 'best of all time' is a little hyperbolic. Definitely impressive though, especially given it uses the Unreal engine rather than something more bespoke which normally happens when you get a game looking this good. I can't imagine how much they must have modified it under the hood.

I wonder if they'll always struggle to match what Sony top-tier stuff looks like purely because they have to develop the game to work on multiple platforms. I know they can tweak the Xbox version but surely having to have one eye on how it runs on all those pesky PCs has to take it's toll somewhere in the pipeline. Same reason the Unreal/Frostbite/Cry engines have to be multi-platform rather than drill down deep into 1 system and get 100% out of it.

Oct 31, 2017
DF said it's amazing so that settles it.
Of course it's amazing, gears 4 looked amazing as well.

What people are arguing about is whether it's the best looking game of all time. I personally do not think it's the best looking game of all time, there are several games I'd place ahead but people are free to have their opinions.

Last edited: