• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the character design in gears games from the get go so
giphy.gif
Cog Gears are the best doe

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As far as Console action games running at 4k60, yeah this has most games beat. Just for fun The Coalition should let 1X people download the hires textures and lock it down to a "cinematic" 30 and then see if it's the best looking.

I think it mainly shows have fantastically developed and optimised the engine is and bodes well for future projects.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
But we're not discussing frame rate, just graphics.
Uhm. The amount of frames a game renders per second is a crucial part of graphics. Not only does a higher framerate result in factually better gameplay (lower input, smoother aiming etc.), more importantly it results in a much better visual presentation of the world displayed on screen (smoother animations, particle effects etc. across the board.).

Gears 5 delivering the UE4 benchmark graphics it does in dynamic 4K resolution at 60fps on a console is a technical masterpiece by the engineering team at The Coalition.

Whether this means that Gears 5 is the most beautiful game of all time, may be doubted and be left open. I don't think talking in binary extremes like that is clever. Different people have different tastes - and graphics, at least partially, also needs to be reviewed on a very subjective level.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What? I swear some of you just make negative stuff up, because you have some weird beef with game X or Y.

These are all in-game photos, not cutscenes, and even there Kratos' gaze is if anything intense:

33324511158_d315f35186_o.png

48682102801_b6925cdf96_o.png

48682102631_97368bafb3_o.png
Why are you so defensive when it comes out God of War and horizon zero dawn?

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
I've been a Nintendo-only gamer for a couple of gens now, so I'm used to artstyles that mask the inferior power of the hardware but try to give something unique. This said, is Gears 5 really the best looking game now available? I find the artstyle virtually indistinguishable from a lot of modern AAA games: more detail, maybe? Better light? I guess. I know it might be just me, but I struggle to find this the best graphics today.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've been a Nintendo-only gamer for a couple of gens now, so I'm used to artstyles that mask the inferior power of the hardware but try to give something unique. This said, is Gears 5 really the best looking game now available? I find the artstyle virtually indistinguishable from a lot of modern AAA games: more detail, maybe? Better light? I guess. I know it might be just me, but I struggle to find this the best graphics today.
I don't know what kind of games you played, but gears have a very specific aesthetics and art direction that you would not find anywhere else. It's like claiming all Sony exclusives look similar because they contain trees

Rafako

Dec 19, 2017
I didn't take much for those gifs of HZD to appear.
I wish the game I played looked like that...

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I think this may have my favourite character models for cutscenes of a release game this generation - that is something alright.
This cutscene was running at 60 fps...
bearswrksl.png

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
I don't know what kind of games you played, but gears have a very specific aesthetics and art direction that you would not find anywhere else. It's like claiming all Sony exclusives look similar because they contain trees

Serious and honest question: what does that specific aesthetics and art direction entail? I'm serious: lighting, colours, it doesn't seem that different from many AAA games. For instance, I played a bit of RDR2 on a friend's PS4 Pro and in my eyes it looks far better than Gears 5.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
From what ive seen it has a chance. Have yet to play it on my oled. Also isnt it reconstructed which hangs way under 4k most of the time? In that case the 4k60 isnt that much more impressive than 4k30 open worlds.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
RDR2 looks good but in my opinion is a less graphically busy game. 60FPS 4K already makes Gears 5 better than this and HZD shows a lot of stuff and particles blowing up in screen and enemies design is a lot more complex.
Yeah but rdr2 has more physics and interaction than horizon and all the gears games combined and these things kills performance like nothing else...
Just one single npc with euphoria has more varied animations than anything in those games...

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
From what ive seen it has a chance. Have yet to play it on my oled. Also isnt it reconstructed which hangs way under 4k most of the time? In that case the 4k60 isnt that much more impressive than 4k30 open worlds.

Outside of Forza Horizon 3&4 and RDR2 (XB1X) there are very few open world games that are actually running at 4K30 even. Stuff like HZD, GOW and Spider-Man are half of that resolution reconstructed, whilst stuff like Uncharted is 1440p are noticeably blurry for it. Gears 5 is running a higher resolution that most of its competition whilst maintaining double the framerate. It's very impressive.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It does look impressive , especially at double the framerate of all the other contenders.
I look forward to having a look at it with real eyes in bit

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Serious and honest question: what does that specific aesthetics and art direction entail? I'm serious: lighting, colours, it doesn't seem that different from many AAA games. For instance, I played a bit of RDR2 on a friend's PS4 Pro and in my eyes it looks far better than Gears 5.
For instance character design and uniformity , specific visual cues , how colors are used and work together with the game , how lighting is used be it for dramatic effect , how animations are done or portrayed to the player, texture and material work and how that is lit. Its all of that and more that entail art direction.
Im not saying Gears 5 looks better than RDR 2, I am saying it looks completely different visually . The only thing that they share , both are 3D polygonal games with AAA budgets . Thats it

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a paid advertisement. Lots of games clearly look better. Also how are people talking about good graphics without raytracing? Automatic disqualification.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like a paid advertisement. Lots of games clearly look better. Also how are people talking about good graphics without raytracing? Automatic disqualification.
So games without RTX should not be considered great looking games? So by same notion there arent a lot of games that look better?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So games without RTX should not be considered great looking games? So by same notion there arent a lot of games that look better?

I'm saying Gears 5 is decent looking, but there are at least several dozen better looking games.

And if we're talking "the best looking game of all time", if you're talking about some game with bad looking screen space reflections, shadows, etc, then that game shouldn't be qualified for the running.

There's also room for discussing art, but if people mention titles like RDR2 and Gears 5, they're not considering that factor.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm in the minority but I'd take the cinematic/film like nature of 30fps over the soap opera nature of 60fps for certain games. Mainly 3rd person games like Gears and RDR.

Gears 5 looks beautiful though.

This has to be a joke right? Technically this is just completely wrong.

Oct 28, 2017
These threads always confuse me, because they seem to imply that beauty is somehow objective, and end up mostly talking about tech and photo realism.

Pacman looks way better to me than the aesthetic of Gears of War, which I perceive as highly tasteless.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I'm saying Gears 5 is decent looking, but there are at least several dozen better looking games.

And if we're talking "the best looking game of all time", if you're talking about some game with bad looking screen space reflections, shadows, etc, then that game shouldn't be qualified for the running.

There's also room for discussing art, but if people mention titles like RDR2 and Gears 5, they're not considering that factor.
In that case then not a single Sony game can be qualified for the running, simply because they are currently constrained by PS4 Pro hardware and will never be able to match the SSR/shadow resolution/GI/LoD/render resolution/AA/framerate/etc of games running on a high end PC.

But of course (and I say this as a 2080Ti owner) Sony's best first party games still manage to stack up against PC because of the wizardry and art of their teams. Uncharted 4 has ridiculously low resolution shadows, but the art direction is so good that you rarely notice or care. Obviously one can only dream what these games would look like on a high end PC, but that's unlikely to change any time soon.

As always, these things are hugely subjective and very much art dependant. Just as it's impossible to criticise the person who said Cuphead is the best looking game of all time. Just because it isn't 3D etc, so what. It still looks incredible. However, where I would agree is if playing the exact same game on a PS4/XBO and then on a PC, that's when the difference obviously becomes objective rather than subjective.