• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is. But Kait's face (protag) is what puts this game still under RDR2,
They should have tried to replicate Laura Bailey's face, just like they did in Halo 5
latest

Or they should have tried to make her face like in the Broken trailer
maxresdefault.jpg

Real Kait looks very gamey, she doesnt fit so well with the whole graphic package
gears-5-kait-diaz-uhdpaper.com-4K-8.jpg

Fhaz, JD, Del, Marcus, everyone looks so damn good, but she doesnt

Absolutley not, that Broken trailer face looks bad.

She looks perfectly fine in Gears 5.

Why do people continually use Sunhi's edited and post processed photoshopped gifs that don't actually represent how the game looks?

It's ammo for console wars, that's why.

Also the smaller sized gifs hide away very nicley any IQ problems the game might have.

I recently saw some MGR gifs from him and they could pass out as a curent gen game if you wouldn't know that it isn't.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like the game looks a lot better on PC than it does on the 1X which makes sense since the console is running It at 60.

Oct 25, 2017
Sunhi repeatedly explains that his gifs are far less edited/enhanced than is claimed. There's also the forumer Much, who barely edits his gifs apart from cutting them and the games look just as gorgeous in his gifs.
Also, even if these gifs are edited, what image and overall visual quality do they actually lose in the process? Are you honestly telling me these gifs have better IQ and visual detail than the game in full resolution on a 4K TV and in HDR? I don't think so. If anything the real deal looks much better than any small, grainy, compressed gif.

Motion blur, film grain, aspect ratio, slow motion, etc...
The game is great, but if you add those things its looks more like a movie than a game.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I'm not seeing it. It's certainly in the upper echelon, but I don't see any particular standout qualities in the art direction or rendering to put it on top.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Sunhi's gifs are designed to make the games look somewhat more "filmic" for want of a better word.

Guerilla themselves said something along the lines of making Horizon look better than they could lol.

I'm not saying Horizon isnt a gorgeous game. It is. I just don't know why people insist on using gifs that don't actually represent what the game looks like.

You ignored the second part of my post. Even if enhanced the image quality and visual detail is significantly reduced in gifs. The game looks actually much better in 4K and HDR.

Much Do you have some cool Horizon gifs for us that are unedited or minimaly edited? :) One obviously has to do some editing to turn a video into a gif.

Last edited:

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Doesn't look like that at all from the videos, but I'll see for myself in a few hrs

Oct 27, 2017
It's still Red Dead Redemption 2 for me. That game is just insane looking. Gears 5 is probably going to be a top 10 or so pick, however. (Credit Snake Drone on Flickr)
46631290962_6e3b5c0fa3_o_d.jpg

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 4 looked pretty damn great in motion. Its biggest asset is, by far, the careful balance of optimization and visual fidelity. It looks great while running butter-smooth, especially on PC. So many options you can tweak to get the best balance of visuals and performance. Gears 5 continuing that trend is great news, though the clickbait title of the video... I'm not really feeling it.

Gears needs performance overhead for its competitive modes. It doesn't make sense for it to go for being a graphical knockout like RDR2, given it needs to have low input latency, snappy controls, and clear visual indicators for threats. RDR2 may look excellent, but it doesn't play all that well (the horrible input latency is definitely a sore spot for me with Rockstar's games as a whole).

There's clearly two very different priorities in regards to presentation for a game like RDR2 versus Gears 5, and clickbait headlines only incite pointless argument that get away from the really impressive accomplishments The Coalition made for the game's visuals while still targeting a stable framerate.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For the ones who think tiny gifs enhance Horizon Zero Dawn to unrecognizability. In these video clips the game looks even better than in the gifs, and even these videos don't compare to actually playing the game in 4K and with HDR:

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I'd imagine running on a pc with uhd texture pack and hdr it will be a glimpse of next generation.

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not sure it's the best but i've been playing it all night and it's certainly up there amongst them

They should have tried to replicate Laura Bailey's face, just like they did in Halo 5
latest

maxresdefault.jpg

Real Kait looks very gamey, she doesnt fit so well with the whole graphic package

lmao what? that doesn't make absolute no sense whatsoever, kait looks fucking incredible

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we should wait for DF analysis on what this game is on a technical level. "Best looking" will always be subjective as it comes down to personal preference and art style and people will defend their favorite game with gifs which are not representative of actual gameplay - we've been there many times before already.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
For a 60FPS game, absolutely. I'd argue it even holds up against its 30FPS contemporaries titles like GoW, Uncharted 4, and RDR2.
For the ones who think tiny gifs enhance Horizon Zero Dawn to unrecognizability. In these video clips the game looks even better than in the gifs, and even these videos don't compare to actually playing the game in 4K and with HDR:

While still gorgeous in those videos, I totally disagree. In those videos I immediately noticed a bunch of flaws in the presentation (jaggies, imperfect IQ, some weird texturework, low res particle effects), which are almost entirely absent in Sunhi's gifs (lost due to editing and downsampling I presume). Sunhi's gifs make it look half a generation ahead. That's not at all a fair representation.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Certainly is the best for any game running at 60FPS. But regardless it's up there rubbing shoulders with just about everything else.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ITT people who haven't tried it claiming some other game looks better.

I'll be trying it later today. It definitely will be one of the sexiest games of the generation, and it will be so while running at 60fps. Best looking is always subjective, to me Cuphead looks better than most triple-A games, but it certainly has one of the most realistic graphics around with amazing character models, animation, all at butter smooth framerate. It will certainly be a joy to play on X graphics-wise.

EDIT: The best graphics this generation, so far, are to be found in Forza Horizon 4 imho. The gameplay screens and videos you can make in that game are often very hard to distinguish from reality, which is no small feat.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
While still gorgeous in those videos, I totally disagree. In those videos I immediately noticed a bunch of flaws in the presentation (jaggies, imperfect IQ, some weird texturework, low res particle effects), which are almost entirely absent in Sunhi's gifs (lost due to editing and downsampling I presume). Sunhi's gifs make it look half a generation ahead. That's not at all a fair representation.

Naturally imperfections are less noticable or disappear entirely in much smaller sizes. If it's the case that games looks so much better in very small size, I wonder what the fuss is about with making resolutions higher and higher and TVs bigger and bigger. When by your logic games look actually worse and half a generation behind in high resolutions and big screen sizes.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It looks fantastic, but not better than RDR2. One issue I see is that the terrain geometry, especially rocks, are in general rater blocky like in Uncharted 4. I think it shares quite a lot visually with that. Anyway, I think there are a number of games that looks as good or more impressive in terms of graphical fidelity, but the game is 60 fps on X...

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
It looks real pretty, and 4k60* on console is a pretty great achievement.

But eh, I'd rank Horizon and RDR2 over it. Heck, even Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy. As much as I had issues with those two games, they sure are pretty to look at still, even being years/months old.

Maybe I'm missing something or there's some great pop moment later on, but from all the footage I've seen, both set-pieces and open-world, Gears 5 looks pretty good to great, but that's about it. Heck some parts of the open world even look kinda meh to be honest.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
It's impressive for sure (especially the X version), but no. Red Dead Redemption 2 looks a lot better, I'd say it's on par with Uncharted 4 and GOW.
RDR2 is hard to beat with how many people worked on it, Gears 5 looks good though.
From what I've seen of videos of the PC version, it does indeed look great, but I'd personally give that title to RDR2 so far this gen.

That could change next year though with new releases hitting.
RDR 2 on xbox one x is (maybe) objectively the greatest graphical game of all time, i'm not afraid to say that
Will play tomorrow and find out, game looks very fluid and good tho. Currently at number 1 for me is RDR2. After that, games like God of War, Forza Horizon 4, etc.
If not the best, one of the best with RDR2 and FH4.
And the best HDR too, by far.

Sorry guys, but its certainly not a game running on console that is upholding the crown

besides BF V with rtx also destroys gears

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Pro tip. Dont take Gamingbolt headlines serious. Its always clickbait. And looks like it working..
Remember they had that Gears and God of War headline also.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Having not played the full game its hard to say but its also hard to argue against it not being up there with the best.

Marcus's model is as good as any we have seen this generation.

markushpjk2.png

Gears5-2019-09-03-00-44-55-022.jpg

Gears5-2019-09-03-00-49-39-967.jpg
there is no point comparising this not playable screenshots.
You dont see %90 of time while in this game this is just comparison of who paid more to better CGI company to make renders.
Show gameplay screenshots.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I'd imagine running on a pc with uhd texture pack and hdr it will be a glimpse of next generation.
god of war has terrible looking water and textures in most missions which takes takes like %40 of game (open hub). Yeah there are incredible missions while on snowy enviroments but no way its glimpse of next gen or something.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
I just finished Control maxed out on PC with RTX on are they sure about that? Well can't wait to play and see with my eyes Gears 5 on PC

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
It looks phenomenal, but I still think RDR2 takes it. God of War Uncharted 4/LL and Horizon ZD look better also.

It's 60fps on X though, which is a big deal.

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry guys, but its certainly not a game running on console that is upholding the crown

besides BF V with rtx also destroys gears

I was very impressed with Control as well. Not just the rtx, but all the physics stuff and destructability is super impressive. I'd like to see more devs pushing into that direction.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I know that it looks freaking amazing - everything else doesnt matter and statements like these only fuel some flame war BS mentality.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
latest

maxresdefault.jpg

Errr your previous 2 examples look just as gamey , the Halo one looks worse than Gears 5 Kait .

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
GEARS doesn't do anything for me when it comes to gfx. I have no idea why, but it looks solid but completely uninspiring. Maybe if the title said "most technically impressive" I could agree based on its technical merits. But best looking? Naaah.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Naturally imperfections are less noticable or disappear entirely in much smaller sizes. If it's the case that games looks so much better in very small size, I wonder what the fuss is about with making resolutions higher and higher and TVs bigger and bigger. When by your logic games look actually worse and half a generation behind in high resolutions and big screen sizes.
....That's a straw man and a half. Making an image smaller hides faults through downsampling. Those HZD gifs look better than the actual product because they're so small. However that doesnt mean I'd sooner plug my consoles into my 6" 4k Smartphone, than play them on my 60" 1080p tv.

Last edited:

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
GEARS doesn't do anything for me when it comes to gfx. I have no idea why, but it looks solid but completely uninspiring. Maybe if the title said "most technically impressive" I could agree based on its technical merits. But best looking? Naaah.

I've never been a huge fan of Gears artstyle but I do think 5 looks good. I think its the variety of locations.