• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

As we move deeper into the new generation of console gaming and developers starting focusing more on the newer hardware, the technical and visual quality of games we get is going to improve radically in the coming years- there's no better example of that than the recent The Matrix Awakens UE tech demo, which turned out to be an absolute stunner.

But even though we're not quite at that point yet, 2021 still gave us a number of games that impressed us on a visual front. Here, we're going to talk about the ones that stood out the most, before then picking an ultimate winner from that group.

OP
OP
space_nut

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Winner: Forza Horizon 5

TIMESTAMPS:

0:52 THE ASCENT
1:17 TALES OF ARISE
1:57 THE MEDIUM
2:31 IT TAKES TWO
3:09 BRIGHT MEMORY: INFINITE
3:41 MARVEL'S GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY
4:18 LITTLE NIGHTMARES
5:05 MONSTER HUNTER RISE
5:43 KENA: BRIDGE OF SPIRITS
6:18 F1 2021
6:53 RESIDENT EVIL VILLAGE
7:38 FORZA HORIZON 5
8:17 RETURNAL
8:53 BATTLEFIELD 2042
9:27 GUILTY GEAR STRIVE
10:05 RATCHET AND CLANK: RIFT APART
10:39 FORZA

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I think the biggest surprise graphically for me this year was The Ascent. With big AAA games you can kind of expect top of the line technical showings. The Ascent is so packed with detail and comes from a pretty small team, the game is just stunning to look at.

Overall a good list, kind of wish Psychonauts 2 made it. That game just oozes style.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good picks. Forza is my top pick as well. Just absolutely stunning game top to bottom.

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
Bright Memory Infinite is a weird one for me. Playing it myself finally after waiting a while for it, the game does look pretty damn great in a ton of areas, but kind of… Flat? in others. It really did feel like the devs cranked up every graphical effect in UE4, and threw them into the game lol. For such a small team though, it's amazing what they did wind up accomplishing.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Forza does look really nice. Just didn't really vibe with it as much as the more imaginative and cartoony games.
Id have Psychonauts on the list over a few of these.

Playing through GoTG now and it looks exceptional, great facial animations, textures, and lighting. It's been the highlight of the game for me so far.

Yeah, it looks insane at times (playing on PC at 4k). Only thing that takes me out of it is sometimes the characters kind of have dead eyes and some animation glitches. Makes sense too considering their environment work with Deus Ex.

Last edited:

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Playing through GoTG now and it looks exceptional, great facial animations, textures, and lighting. It's been the highlight of the game for me so far.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Forza does look really nice. Just didn't really vibe with it as much as the more imaginative and cartoony games.
Id have Psychonauts on the list over a few of these.

Yeah, it looks insane at times (playing on PC at 4k). Only thing that takes me out of it is sometimes the characters kind of have dead eyes and some animation glitches. Makes sense too considering their environment work with Deus Ex.
Ya there's some weird moments where the camera is at a weird angle during a conversation, or characters draw their weapons in the Milano during a chat, for no reason lol. Games a beauty though, and I think it's gonna be my favorite this year in terms of graphics.

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Forza looks lovely but I have far to many issues with LOD pop in that kinda messes it up for me.

I think Ratchet is by far and away the best visually for me with RE8 coming in second. Both of them provide fantastic visual experiences in different ways.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I think the biggest surprise graphically for me this year was The Ascent. With big AAA games you can kind of expect top of the line technical showings. The Ascent is so packed with detail and comes from a pretty small team, the game is just stunning to look at.

Overall a good list, kind of wish Psychonauts 2 made it. That game just oozes style.

The HDR especially was fantastic in Psychonauts 2.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah honestly. Plus, as impressive as I found the graphics/art design, the sound design is some of the best I've heard too.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
Some recognition for Guilty Gear Strive. What a gorgeous game!

And just started It Takes Two, maxed out on PC. It looks incredible!

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Psychonauts 2 should be on that list. It might not be technically the best, but it gave me the biggest visual orgasm for my adhd.

Snefer

Creative Director at Neon Giant
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
<3 <3 <3 Thank you!

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017

The Ascent does look good, but the performance was such a bummer on PC.

Well deserved winner, definitely my pick.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018

Yea it may not have the best "graphics", but to me Psychonauts 2 easily had the best art style and art direction of the year.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Forza's environments are insane. Car models need work, though. They're a generation behind GTSport and DC