• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you spend most of your time on ResetEra?

• Gaming

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • EtcetEra

Votes: 124 63.3%
  • the Constructive Community Discussion thread

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Other (explain, please!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I came to this site for the games, stayed for the off-topic. I do tend to appreciate it more when there are topics relevant to my interests in Gaming than in EtcetEra, but that's just the nature of "discussion of your fav hobby" vs "sad, sad news, every day bc the world is dying"

As topics of conversation:
  • Where does your time on the site lie?
  • Do you feel like there is a divide between members who tend to stay on one side versus the other? I know I used to see a lot of "Go back to OT" or "this is why I stay on Gaming side" but I feel like I've been seeing that less and less.
  • Do you feel a difference in discourse between Gaming and Etc?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I post more on etc than gaming. I'll start posting more around E3 time.

edit Here's my post areas:

EtcetEra Forum 14,810
Gaming Forum 6,267
Gaming Hangouts 552
EtcetEra Hangouts 125
Announcements 38

Last edited:

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
'Where does your time on the site lie?'

It says on 'post areas', Gaming Forum 7,380, Etcetera forum 6017, mine is quite well balanced.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I really wish I were into more things in the hangout forums but I'm not :(

I almost don't give a shit about gaming at all, especially the topics that pop up here about company this, forced meme that.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
The stories other mods could tell about the kicking and screaming I do whenever I have to go...over there.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Gaming side

Most people here are knowledgeable on gaming, so there is good gaming discussion if you avoid console warrior skirmishes

The level of knowledge on non gaming topics varies from poster to poster so wildly that it's hard to find any decent or insightful discussion on non gaming topics

I mean, all the poop and dating app hook up threads aren't coming from the gaming side

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It looks like I post nearly twice as much on gaming side, but I feel pretty evenly split.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Gaming mostly because of following news about games. I still browse and post occasionally on Etc, but it's become too hostile to those on the left and right wing talking points are starting to become more and more common and accepted into political discussion, especially inaccurate statements about voting and elections that are not so subtly being used to attack the usual suspects (young people and marginalized communities, specifically) instead of the core issues. Gaming is filled with a lot of corporate bootlicking that annoys me, but I guess it's easier for me to ignore.

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
Gaming mostly because of following news about games. I still browse and post occasionally on Etc, but it's become too hostile to those on the left and right wing talking points are starting to become more and more common and accepted into political discussion, especially inaccurate statements about voting and elections that are not so subtly being used to attack the usual suspects (young people and marginalized communities, specifically) instead of the core issues. Gaming is filled with a lot of corporate bootlicking that annoys me, but I guess it's easier for me to ignore.
Definitely this. Do people still idolize the industry people and have avatars of them?

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
I spend way more time on Etcetera. Gaming side is a mess

unknown.png

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
My time on gaming waxes and wanes depending on the games I'm playing and where we are in the announcement cycle.

But I check ETC almost daily for US centric news. As you guys are generally on it.

Overall it's ETC.

Oct 25, 2017
Posting for me close 300 post separate Etcera and gaming but i have almost 1000 post in etc era hangout and like 16 in gaming hangout

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Only the vtubers thread on ETC, the last remnant of peace from this forum (for me). The huge amount of US centric discussions, the awful moderation actions of the last year and the disdain of everything not US related, are the main reasons why only post on that specific thread.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Gaming

It's the main reason why I come to this site

If it didn't have a gaming side I wouldn't be here lol

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Gaming side is rich people howling over their precious trinkets.
EtcetEra is Luke Skywalker not cleaning his ass properly.

The trick is to build a filter to keep that stuff away, then stay within that filter 99% of the time.

I usually focus on the game I'm playing, and take little interest in the rest of gaming side. Currently that's Elden Ring.

Then I read and post in threads on my watchlist, which are almost all in EtcetEra. And occasionally I'll look at the EtcetEra forum itself to see what's going on. That's always a horrifying experience, like watching a busload of gibbons being tipped into a volcano. Sometimes you see a gibbon that's worth scooping into the Watched Threads sanctuary, but not often.

I found this thread on a gibbon volcano adventure! You're very lucky to have me.

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
'Where does your time on the site lie?'

It says on 'post areas', Gaming Forum 7,380, Etcetera forum 6017, mine is quite well balanced.
Oh wow I didnt know this was a thing. I'm ~4k Etc and ~2k Gaming. Makes sense given my initial post.

Also, didn't know mods were dedicated to different sides, I thought they just all unilaterally got an alert whenever keywords were uttered or something. Interesting.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I have over 26k posts in gaming and 15k in Ecet.

4k in Ecet Hangouts and 1k in Gaming Hangouts.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
70% of my 'Era time is spent on the gaming side, but I like to come here the rest of the time to talk about the latest world news and the occasionally movie/TV show.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Used to be gaming, but it's much more transphobic over there and nothing has really happened over there that's of much interest atm, wake me up when Metroid Prime 4 gets a trailer amirite?

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Post more on Etc but read more Gaming since it's news and stuff that's helpful but I don't feel the need to comment on.

Also LMAO at people acting like one side is better than the other. You're on a video game message board no matter what.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I used to be 100% gaming but lately I've just stopped giving a shit about gaming news and I'm disillusioned with the industry as a whole so now I just hang out here to witness MCU arguments and get my daily news

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
I can honestly say I get a better part of current events from this side. It also lets me vent sometimes when I feel like I'm yelling into the void. I think the mod team does a fairly good job versus the hell hole sites out there.

On the gaming end, I just lurk and ignore half the discussions as I feel I don't have much to add anymore once the hype subsides. But hit me up with those deals as the ones doing the PSAs are going god's work.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Just like a lot of folks here, I came for the gaming news but spend waynore time in off-topic. I kind of use it as a news site in a sense since FB and Twitter algorithms. I still go to gaming but much less so and just there to see what's new. The fanboyism in there can get toxic faster than here. I do my inter action on Discord or reddit mainly.

Schwarzbier

Nov 14, 2017
New Jersey
It's probably 99% Etcetera. I don't play games like I used to, and unless there is something particularly exciting to me coming out I rarely go over there.

This whole site is an awesome resource, I'm not not the gamer I used to be.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Gaming Forum: 17368
EtcetEra Forum: 3603
Gaming Hangouts: 931
EtcetEra Hangouts: 335
Announcements: 2

Unsure where all my Gaming Hangout posts are from, but my EtcetEra ones will be from the Anime OTs.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I post more on gaming side, apparently?

I like answering general question threads there like "name a time when the final boss defeated you" or "do you eat while you game" and things like that.

I also love checking out the random indie game announcement threads that pop up.

But the etc side has good, silly shitposts that I enjoy too.